PDA

View Full Version : Re: A Feline Example On Courage

CatNipped[_2_]
January 28th 08, 03:52 PM
> wrote in message
> Fangs. Killer claws. Hisses, grrrs...and later, yelps. Who is not
> familiar with cat-dog combats? It's a "hair-raising" party of limbs
> and tails and yes, the loser sheds most of the fur- mostly, the cat.
>
> It was night time and I was in the living room reading a tear-jerker
> when I heard a throaty, prolonged and wavering wail. Instantly I
> dropped the book and rushed to the door with one thought in mind - my
> cat was under attack. The thought brought an ugly picture to my head.
> I feared an on-the-prowl Sparky or a hyperactive Caesar or worse, the
> Big Dogs on the Block (BDOB a.k.a. askal) was circling my Khufu in
> anticipation of tearing her apart.
>
> So you could just imagine the shock on my face when I caught Khufu
> chasing Sparky, a dog two times her size. A dog. My cat just chased a
> dog. I thought it only happens on TV.
>
> "You were supposed to be helpless," I scolded Khufu but actually I was
> torn between being proud of the cat and being afraid of it as it sat
> on its hind, licking its paws...Sparky completely forgotten.
>
> But then my memory bank had retrieved from its archives a plausible
> explanation about what had transpired in the scene of crime. Said dog
> seemed to have a phobia with cats for once upon a time it received a
> blow from a cat's paw on the head. So I thought my cat was just plain
> lucky. Sparky would avert from anything that meows.
>
> But then another weird night came and dogs were running for their
> tails. The militant cat had struck again.
>
> Dogs. Not one, but two. Dogs- definitely not puppies. One was Caesar
> and the other was a BDOB- both bigger than Sparky. I was impressed.
>
> Perhaps it would happen again, perhaps not. But I wouldn't want my
> feline friend to make it a hobby or she'll drive all the dogs away.
>
> Here's the norm: cats are to be chased by dogs. The poor cat must have
> gotten tired of running for her life that she decided to make a brave
> yet an unthinkable move to alter cat life in our dog-infested
> neighborhood.
>
> It seems she has gathered up her tattered pride and charge, come what
> may, to make a statement in the name of the feline race. The statement
> would be: We cats
>
> http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Humor/20060929/25500.html

It is a shame that you put your cat in a situation where she either has to
"run for her life" or confront a much larger dog.

Hugs,

CatNipped

yngver
January 30th 08, 09:53 PM
On Jan 28, 9:52 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Fangs. Killer claws. Hisses, grrrs...and later, yelps. Who is not
> > familiar with cat-dog combats? It's a "hair-raising" party of limbs
> > and tails and yes, the loser sheds most of the fur- mostly, the cat.
>
> > It was night time and I was in the living room reading a tear-jerker
> > when I heard a throaty, prolonged and wavering wail. Instantly I
> > dropped the book and rushed to the door with one thought in mind - my
> > cat was under attack. The thought brought an ugly picture to my head.
> > I feared an on-the-prowl Sparky or a hyperactive Caesar or worse, the
> > Big Dogs on the Block (BDOB a.k.a. askal) was circling my Khufu in
> > anticipation of tearing her apart.
>
> > So you could just imagine the shock on my face when I caught Khufu
> > chasing Sparky, a dog two times her size. A dog. My cat just chased a
> > dog. I thought it only happens on TV.
>
> > "You were supposed to be helpless," I scolded Khufu but actually I was
> > torn between being proud of the cat and being afraid of it as it sat
> > on its hind, licking its paws...Sparky completely forgotten.
>
> > But then my memory bank had retrieved from its archives a plausible
> > explanation about what had transpired in the scene of crime. Said dog
> > seemed to have a phobia with cats for once upon a time it received a
> > blow from a cat's paw on the head. So I thought my cat was just plain
> > lucky. Sparky would avert from anything that meows.
>
> > But then another weird night came and dogs were running for their
> > tails. The militant cat had struck again.
>
> > Dogs. Not one, but two. Dogs- definitely not puppies. One was Caesar
> > and the other was a BDOB- both bigger than Sparky. I was impressed.
>
> > Perhaps it would happen again, perhaps not. But I wouldn't want my
> > feline friend to make it a hobby or she'll drive all the dogs away.
>
> > Here's the norm: cats are to be chased by dogs. The poor cat must have
> > gotten tired of running for her life that she decided to make a brave
> > yet an unthinkable move to alter cat life in our dog-infested
> > neighborhood.
>
> > It seems she has gathered up her tattered pride and charge, come what
> > may, to make a statement in the name of the feline race. The statement
> > would be: We cats
>
> >http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Humor/20060929/25500.html
>
> It is a shame that you put your cat in a situation where she either has to
> "run for her life" or confront a much larger dog.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Agreed, but years ago my roommate had a big dog and I had a cat. My
cat didn't chase her dog, but she wasn't afraid of him either. If he
invaded her territory or sometimes just happened to be where she
wanted to be, he got a smack on the nose, sometimes with claws
extended. He learned pretty soon that she ruled the roost, not him,
even though he was much larger.

Of course a dog and cat sharing a household is a lot different than
letting a cat outside to try to fend off the neighborhood dogs. Sooner
or later one of them will be the kind of dog that isn't about to be
intimidated by a cat, and in that case, it's the cat that is going to
lose the fight.
-yngver

January 31st 08, 02:47 AM
In article <24cd07f2-1150-4918-a34c-
> [...]
> >
> > It is a shame that you put your cat in a situation where she either has to
> > "run for her life" or confront a much larger dog.
> >
> > Hugs,
> >
> > CatNipped
>
> Agreed, but years ago my roommate had a big dog and I had a cat. My
> cat didn't chase her dog, but she wasn't afraid of him either. If he
> invaded her territory or sometimes just happened to be where she
> wanted to be, he got a smack on the nose, sometimes with claws
> extended. He learned pretty soon that she ruled the roost, not him,
> even though he was much larger.
>
> Of course a dog and cat sharing a household is a lot different than
> letting a cat outside to try to fend off the neighborhood dogs. Sooner
> or later one of them will be the kind of dog that isn't about to be
> intimidated by a cat, and in that case, it's the cat that is going to

All the cats I've run across are little badasses, but Angie takes the
cake.

If you try to shoo her out of your chair she'll actually bare teeth and
try to nip at you. She's a very vocal cat too.

That said when friends brought their little Chihuahua/Pinscher mix over
Angie wasn't having any of that and the pup was too stupid to realize
that cats have those nice forward facing eyes and sharp teeth and claws
with which they hunt and defent themslves. Little Chiqui the dog found
out quickly that you don't mess with a cat.