PDA

View Full Version : Amoxicillin dangerous to Cats?

a.draper
January 28th 08, 09:59 PM
This morning as I was rushing off to work I knocked over my bottle of
amoxicillin. I thought I picked them all up, but when I came home at lunch I
found a partially dissolved gelcap in the cat's water dish. It must have
bounced there. I don't know if it dissolved enough to release any of the
antibiotic, or even if my cats drank any water(its one of those self
refilling types.) Are human antibiotics bad for cats?

Wendy
January 29th 08, 01:38 PM
Antibiotics sometimes can cause diarrhea in cats. If the dose was much
higher than a cat would usually have prescribed for it you might see some of
that.

"a.draper" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> This morning as I was rushing off to work I knocked over my bottle of
> amoxicillin. I thought I picked them all up, but when I came home at lunch
> I found a partially dissolved gelcap in the cat's water dish. It must have
> bounced there. I don't know if it dissolved enough to release any of the
> antibiotic, or even if my cats drank any water(its one of those self
> refilling types.) Are human antibiotics bad for cats?

yngver
January 30th 08, 09:45 PM
On Jan 29, 7:38 am, "Wendy" > wrote:
> Antibiotics sometimes can cause diarrhea in cats. If the dose was much
> higher than a cat would usually have prescribed for it you might see some of
> that.

> "a.draper" > wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>
> > This morning as I was rushing off to work I knocked over my bottle of
> > amoxicillin. I thought I picked them all up, but when I came home at lunch
> > I found a partially dissolved gelcap in the cat's water dish. It must have
> > bounced there. I don't know if it dissolved enough to release any of the
> > antibiotic, or even if my cats drank any water(its one of those self
> > refilling types.) Are human antibiotics bad for cats?

If the water smelled or tasted different, the cats probably wouldn't
drink it anyway. When I've had to give my cats amoxicillin, they
certainly wouldn't eat it willingly.
-yngver