PDA

View Full Version : Will a cat get jealous of another cat ?

Baldoni[_8_]
January 30th 08, 11:46 AM
I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I
took in a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of
my cats Lou Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss
of the new cat or if he comes and sits by me.

I don't treat any of them any different to the other. Has anyone else
noticed similar to this ?

--
Count Baldoni

Stan Brown
January 30th 08, 12:43 PM
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:46:11 GMT from Baldoni >:
> I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I
> took in a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of
> my cats Lou Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss
> of the new cat or if he comes and sits by me.

Cats are highly territorial, and they are so conservative as to make
Dick Cheney look like a flaming liberal. (Translation: they don't
like change.)

Lou Lou is feeling threatened by the new addition. Make sure to
lavish lots of extra attention on him whenever the new cat is in the
room, and he will probably accept the new cat in time.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

AZ Nomad
January 30th 08, 01:03 PM
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:43:08 -0500, Stan Brown > wrote:
>Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:46:11 GMT from Baldoni >:
>> I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I
>> took in a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of
>> my cats Lou Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss
>> of the new cat or if he comes and sits by me.

>Cats are highly territorial, and they are so conservative as to make
>Dick Cheney look like a flaming liberal. (Translation: they don't
>like change.)

I once had a cat leave me because I switched catfood brands. Kitty vanished and
a week later I got a call from the people I used to rent a room from, that my
cat had shown up on their door step. He walked 2 miles and crosed either a
highway or a 7 lane blvd to get there. I never bought cheap catfood from 7-11
in an emergency again.

>Lou Lou is feeling threatened by the new addition. Make sure to
>lavish lots of extra attention on him whenever the new cat is in the
>room, and he will probably accept the new cat in time.

Spider
January 30th 08, 02:32 PM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
>I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I took in
>a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of my cats Lou
>Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss of the new cat or
>if he comes and sits by me.
>
> I don't treat any of them any different to the other. Has anyone else
> noticed similar to this ?
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

Cats most certainly get jealous - they don't have green eyes for nothing :~)

Although you need to welcome - and bond with - the new cat, you must still
put LouLou first in everything. She is your top cat (or alpha female, if
you prefer) and will not appreciate being overlooked. Always put LouLou's
dinner down first .. then Kitty 2 .. then New Cat. This will reinforce the
feline pecking order and, hopefully, reassure LouLou and your other furry
friend. Make to time to groom and pet LouLou (or whatever favourite routine
she enjoys) and praise her whenever she seems to accept New Cat. Whatever
else you do, don't allow New Cat to do something you've always barred LouLou
and Kitty 2 from doing.

Spider

mc
January 30th 08, 04:51 PM
I have a kitty psychologist book somewhere here in my house (I know
*groans* LOL) and I will probably have to dig it out now to prove my
point... But cats are extremely emotional creatures.

Cats, like dogs, can become very jealous of a new room mate.

Be sure to lavish your two older cats with lots of love and praise and
that should help them feel less threatened by the newcomer...

Just agreeing with those who wrote before me and re-enforcing what
they said I guess :-)

Good luck :-)

William Graham
January 30th 08, 05:07 PM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
>I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I took in
>a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of my cats Lou
>Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss of the new cat or
>if he comes and sits by me.
>
> I don't treat any of them any different to the other. Has anyone else
> noticed similar to this ?
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

Oh, yes. All of my cats are territorial to some degree, and especially when
I get another cat. They suspect that I got her because I am unhappy with
them for some reason, and they vie for my favors and hiss at the
newbie......but eventually, they get over this and come to accept the newest
member of the family......Time heals all wounds......

A. Baldoni
January 30th 08, 08:33 PM
Spider pretended :
> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>>I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I took in
>> a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of my cats Lou
>> Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss of the new cat or
>> if he comes and sits by me.
>>
>> I don't treat any of them any different to the other. Has anyone else
>> noticed similar to this ?
>>
>> -- Count Baldoni
>>
> Cats most certainly get jealous - they don't have green eyes for nothing :~)
>
> Although you need to welcome - and bond with - the new cat, you must still
> put LouLou first in everything. She is your top cat (or alpha female, if you
> prefer) and will not appreciate being overlooked. Always put LouLou's dinner
> down first .. then Kitty 2 .. then New Cat. This will reinforce the feline
> pecking order and, hopefully, reassure LouLou and your other furry friend.
> Make to time to groom and pet LouLou (or whatever favourite routine she
> enjoys) and praise her whenever she seems to accept New Cat. Whatever else
> you do, don't allow New Cat to do something you've always barred LouLou and
> Kitty 2 from doing.
>
> Spider

He stole her bed but she likes to stretch out on the back of the sofa
behind me.

I don't think I make more of a fuss of him she just meows and comes
over if I am smoothing him.

--
Count Baldoni

dgk
January 31st 08, 05:28 PM
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:51:35 -0800 (PST), mc
> wrote:

>I have a kitty psychologist book somewhere here in my house (I know
>*groans* LOL) and I will probably have to dig it out now to prove my
>point... But cats are extremely emotional creatures.
>
>Cats, like dogs, can become very jealous of a new room mate.
>
>Be sure to lavish your two older cats with lots of love and praise and
>that should help them feel less threatened by the newcomer...
>
>Just agreeing with those who wrote before me and re-enforcing what
>they said I guess :-)
>
>Good luck :-)

I don't even need the book. I've had Marlo for just about a year now
and Espy still glares at me when I pet her. And I mean a real intense
glare. The funny thing is, he doesn't even like being petted and gets
upset when I pet Marlo. As I write in so many posts to this group,
cats are weird.

Spider
January 31st 08, 06:26 PM
"A. Baldoni" > wrote in message
> Spider pretended :
>> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>>>I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I took
>>>in a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of my cats
>>>Lou Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss of the new
>>>cat or if he comes and sits by me.
>>>
>>> I don't treat any of them any different to the other. Has anyone else
>>> noticed similar to this ?
>>>
>>> -- Count Baldoni
>>>
>> Cats most certainly get jealous - they don't have green eyes for nothing
>> :~)
>>
>> Although you need to welcome - and bond with - the new cat, you must
>> still put LouLou first in everything. She is your top cat (or alpha
>> female, if you prefer) and will not appreciate being overlooked. Always
>> put LouLou's dinner down first .. then Kitty 2 .. then New Cat. This
>> will reinforce the feline pecking order and, hopefully, reassure LouLou
>> and your other furry friend. Make to time to groom and pet LouLou (or
>> whatever favourite routine she enjoys) and praise her whenever she seems
>> to accept New Cat. Whatever else you do, don't allow New Cat to do
>> something you've always barred LouLou and Kitty 2 from doing.
>>
>> Spider
>
> He stole her bed but she likes to stretch out on the back of the sofa
> behind me.
>
> I don't think I make more of a fuss of him she just meows and comes over
> if I am smoothing him.
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

Maybe if she just meows (not meanly, nor spits), she is simply telling you
she wants to be stroked, too. Perhaps she's saying "you used to stroke me
like that". Include her, if she'll let you, and stroke both cats at once.
It may even help to 'annoint' her with the scent of New Cat, and visa versa.

I wonder if you offer treats during this bonding period? If you do, give
LouLou (and Kitty 2 if she's there) a treat first, then K2, then New Cat.
This will reinforce the feline heirarchy.

It is a pity New Cat stole LouLou's bed ... but it may be useful ... When
this happened, did LouLou hiss/spit/growl/attempt to defend her bed? If she
didn't, it may be a sign that she (willingly?) gave it up. If this is the
case, she may be more relaxed about New Cat than you suspected. However, if
New Cat spat at her, then she may have felt threatened into abandoning it.
I suspect that, as someone suggested earlier, she is more worried about
losing you or some portion of her time with you. You obviously care about
her and will make sure she is frequently reassured.

Hope all goes well.
Spider

Baldoni[_8_]
January 31st 08, 07:10 PM
Spider was thinking very hard :
> "A. Baldoni" > wrote in message
>> Spider pretended :

>>> Cats most certainly get jealous - they don't have green eyes for nothing
>>> :~)
>>>
>>> Although you need to welcome - and bond with - the new cat, you must still
>>> put LouLou first in everything. She is your top cat (or alpha female, if
>>> you prefer) and will not appreciate being overlooked. Always put LouLou's
>>> dinner down first .. then Kitty 2 .. then New Cat. This will reinforce
>>> the feline pecking order and, hopefully, reassure LouLou and your other
>>> furry friend. Make to time to groom and pet LouLou (or whatever favourite
>>> routine she enjoys) and praise her whenever she seems to accept New Cat.
>>> Whatever else you do, don't allow New Cat to do something you've always
>>> barred LouLou and Kitty 2 from doing.
>>>
>>> Spider
>>
>> He stole her bed but she likes to stretch out on the back of the sofa
>> behind me.
>>
>> I don't think I make more of a fuss of him she just meows and comes over if
>> I am smoothing him.
>>
>> -- Count Baldoni
>>
> Maybe if she just meows (not meanly, nor spits), she is simply telling you
> she wants to be stroked, too. Perhaps she's saying "you used to stroke me
> like that". Include her, if she'll let you, and stroke both cats at once. It
> may even help to 'annoint' her with the scent of New Cat, and visa versa.
>
> I wonder if you offer treats during this bonding period? If you do, give
> LouLou (and Kitty 2 if she's there) a treat first, then K2, then New Cat.
> This will reinforce the feline heirarchy.
>
> It is a pity New Cat stole LouLou's bed ... but it may be useful ... When
> this happened, did LouLou hiss/spit/growl/attempt to defend her bed? If she
> didn't, it may be a sign that she (willingly?) gave it up. If this is the
> case, she may be more relaxed about New Cat than you suspected. However, if
> New Cat spat at her, then she may have felt threatened into abandoning it. I
> suspect that, as someone suggested earlier, she is more worried about losing
> you or some portion of her time with you. You obviously care about her and
> will make sure she is frequently reassured.
>
> Hope all goes well.
> Spider

She never made much fuss about it and she can still go there when he is
not around. He would not turf her out anyway it is just that he seems
to have hijacked it and spends longer in it. It is in a high position
on top of the fridge. He must like the high ground, Lou Lou always got
up on the fridge and I used to leave food for her up there as well.

--
Count Baldoni

Me[_3_]
February 1st 08, 06:06 AM
"Stan Brown" > wrote in message
t...
> Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:46:11 GMT from Baldoni >:
>> I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I
>> took in a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of
>> my cats Lou Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss
>> of the new cat or if he comes and sits by me.
>
> Cats are highly territorial, and they are so conservative as to make
> Dick Cheney look like a flaming liberal.

He's not liberal or flaming?

(Translation: they don't
> like change.)
>
> Lou Lou is feeling threatened by the new addition. Make sure to
> lavish lots of extra attention on him whenever the new cat is in the
> room, and he will probably accept the new cat in time.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
> been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/

Spider
February 1st 08, 02:17 PM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> Spider was thinking very hard :
>> "A. Baldoni" > wrote in message
>>> Spider pretended :

>>> He stole her bed but she likes to stretch out on the back of the sofa
>>> behind me.
>>>
>>> I don't think I make more of a fuss of him she just meows and comes over
>>> if I am smoothing him.
>>>
>>> -- Count Baldoni
>>>
>> Maybe if she just meows (not meanly, nor spits), she is simply telling
>> you she wants to be stroked, too. Perhaps she's saying "you used to
>> stroke me like that". Include her, if she'll let you, and stroke both
>> cats at once. It may even help to 'annoint' her with the scent of New
>> Cat, and visa versa.
>>
>> I wonder if you offer treats during this bonding period? If you do, give
>> LouLou (and Kitty 2 if she's there) a treat first, then K2, then New Cat.
>> This will reinforce the feline heirarchy.
>>
>> It is a pity New Cat stole LouLou's bed ... but it may be useful ...
>> When this happened, did LouLou hiss/spit/growl/attempt to defend her bed?
>> If she didn't, it may be a sign that she (willingly?) gave it up. If
>> this is the case, she may be more relaxed about New Cat than you
>> suspected. However, if New Cat spat at her, then she may have felt
>> threatened into abandoning it. I suspect that, as someone suggested
>> earlier, she is more worried about losing you or some portion of her time
>> with you. You obviously care about her and will make sure she is
>> frequently reassured.
>>
>> Hope all goes well.
>> Spider
>
> She never made much fuss about it and she can still go there when he is
> not around. He would not turf her out anyway it is just that he seems to
> have hijacked it and spends longer in it. It is in a high position on top
> of the fridge. He must like the high ground, Lou Lou always got up on the
> fridge and I used to leave food for her up there as well.
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

She's obviously fairly easy going, then. It's worth noting that it's mostly
nervous cats that are believed to seek respite on high ground. For obvious
reasons it is a safe place and great vantage point. Personally, I have
seen some behaviour which seems to indicate that a dominant cat might find
it equally attractive, plus (in your particular case) routing an existing
cat could suggest a bid for the top cat spot. Since New Cat is a male, and
males tend to be dominant, this may be what is happening. LouLou may
relinquish her position as top cat because she is elderly and wants a quiet
life. I have no doubt that what she really wants is to be doted on by you
in her golden years. Just keep up the cat-watching and see how it goes.

Spider

February 1st 08, 09:47 PM
*Since New Cat is a male, and
> males tend to be dominant, this may be what is happening.

Unless all cats are spayed or neutered then all bets are off!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Baldoni[_8_]
February 2nd 08, 06:54 PM
Spider expressed precisely :

No problem I love my cats.

--
Count Baldoni

February 2nd 08, 07:13 PM
On Jan 30, 6:46*am, Baldoni > wrote:
> I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. *I
> took in a new young cat and now have 3. *I have noticed the oldest of
> my cats Lou Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss
> of the new cat or if he comes and sits by me.

** I don't believe it is "jelousy", rather it is territorial
posessiveness. The answer is to pick up Lou and pet
both in your lap. Apparently Lou is the 'alpha' in your
menage and comes first in everything.

Spider
February 6th 08, 06:32 PM
> wrote in message
Since New Cat is a male, and
> males tend to be dominant, this may be what is happening.

Unless all cats are spayed or neutered then all bets are off!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Having seen two neutered males in the same household fight over terrritory,
I'm obliged to believe the evidence of my eyes. Territorial staking is as
much to do with behaviour as it is to do with hormones. Taking hormones out
of the equation may reduce violence levels, but the need to claim territory
is still there.

Spider

Spider
February 6th 08, 06:41 PM
> wrote in message
On Jan 30, 6:46 am, Baldoni > wrote:
> I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I
> took in a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of
> my cats Lou Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss
> of the new cat or if he comes and sits by me.

** I don't believe it is "jelousy", rather it is territorial
posessiveness. The answer is to pick up Lou and pet
both in your lap. Apparently Lou is the 'alpha' in your
menage and comes first in everything.

Cats don't cry over territory - they fight.
When I introduced Panther to Cheetah (my first cat), Cheetah cried. This
is, of course, very unusual, but Cheetah became deeply attached to me (and I
to her) very quickly. She couldn't bear to see the interloper. She is
better about it now, but is still very cool with me and is no longer the lap
cat she was.
From time to time, these two cats *fight* over territory, but this is quite
different from Cheetah's first reaction to Panther. Tears fell from
Cheetah's eyes - I will never forget it. It was misery and jealousy
combined; there was no fight in her when this occurred.

Spider

February 12th 08, 09:06 PM
On Feb 6, 1:41*pm, "Spider" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Jan 30, 6:46 am, Baldoni > wrote:> I always thought they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I
> > took in a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of
> > my cats Lou Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss
> > of the new cat or if he comes and sits by me.
>
> ** I don't believe it is "jelousy", rather it is territorial
> * * posessiveness. The answer is to pick up Lou and pet
> * * both in your lap. Apparently Lou is the 'alpha' in your
> * * menage and comes first in everything.
>
> Cats don't cry over territory - they fight.
> When I introduced Panther to Cheetah (my first cat), Cheetah cried. *This
> is, of course, very unusual, but Cheetah became deeply attached to me (and I
> to her) very quickly. *She couldn't bear to see the interloper. *She is
> better about it now, but is still very cool with me and is no longer the lap
> cat she was.
> From time to time, these two cats *fight* over territory, but this is quite
> different from Cheetah's first reaction to Panther. *Tears fell from
> Cheetah's eyes - I will never forget it. *It was misery and jealousy
> combined; there was no fight in her when this occurred.
>
> Spider

You expect cats named "Panther" and "Cheetah" not to fight? LOL
We have two cats who've been together forever, and we literally have
to keep them separated. One is 12 and likes to stay in 1 room, the
other 7 who basically hangs out in our bedroom. So, their paths don't
need to cross. But on the rare occasion they do, even on neutral
territory, LOOK OUT!! Big fight - GUARANTEED.

We have a 2 year old, and her and the 7 year old are more tolerant of
each other. But the territorial thing is there. The 2 year old
though seems to have no need to stake her claim, and is just looking
to play. She will walk up to the 7 year old and swat at her tail in a
playful manner, but the 7 year old just gets ****ed and attacks her.

Spider
February 14th 08, 05:20 PM
On Feb 6, 1:41 pm, "Spider" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Jan 30, 6:46 am, Baldoni > wrote:> I always thought
> they didn't as they seem to do their own thing. I
> > took in a new young cat and now have 3. I have noticed the oldest of
> > my cats Lou Lou come running over and making a noise if I make a fuss
> > of the new cat or if he comes and sits by me.
>
> ** I don't believe it is "jelousy", rather it is territorial
> posessiveness. The answer is to pick up Lou and pet
> both in your lap. Apparently Lou is the 'alpha' in your
> menage and comes first in everything.
>
> Cats don't cry over territory - they fight.
> When I introduced Panther to Cheetah (my first cat), Cheetah cried. This
> is, of course, very unusual, but Cheetah became deeply attached to me (and
> to her) very quickly. She couldn't bear to see the interloper. She is
> better about it now, but is still very cool with me and is no longer the
> lap
> cat she was.
> From time to time, these two cats *fight* over territory, but this is
> quite
> different from Cheetah's first reaction to Panther. Tears fell from
> Cheetah's eyes - I will never forget it. It was misery and jealousy
> combined; there was no fight in her when this occurred.
>
> Spider

You expect cats named "Panther" and "Cheetah" not to fight? LOL
We have two cats who've been together forever, and we literally have
to keep them separated. One is 12 and likes to stay in 1 room, the
other 7 who basically hangs out in our bedroom. So, their paths don't
need to cross. But on the rare occasion they do, even on neutral
territory, LOOK OUT!! Big fight - GUARANTEED.

We have a 2 year old, and her and the 7 year old are more tolerant of
each other. But the territorial thing is there. The 2 year old
though seems to have no need to stake her claim, and is just looking
to play. She will walk up to the 7 year old and swat at her tail in a
playful manner, but the 7 year old just gets ****ed and attacks her.

Hi,
Sorry for late reply - I've been away for a few days.

Mmmm ... you might well LOL!! {:~))
In my case, Panther is the confident, playful cat. She was one of a litter
of five kittens who romped incessantly. Cheetah came from a litter of three
kittens and is much quieter and has a very gentle disposition.
Panther frequently ambushes Cheetah and jumps on her (as she used to do with
her siblings). Cheetah HATES this activity, and so fights ensue. They are
gradually getting better, but I've still had to pay out 72 this week for
Cheetah's injury's (minor eye infection and gouges in head). Having said
that, injuries are quite rare. However, Panther frequently comes in with a
claw mark down her cute nose. Serves her right! It's never serious and it
amuses me to think Cheetah is punching the air and mewing 'YES!'.

Spider