PDA

View Full Version : Ginger cat with exudative dermatitis

ChrisP
January 30th 08, 02:23 PM
I have a 12 year old ginger female cat which is suffering from extreme
hair loss and scabbing. In addition to hair loss (leaving bald and
bloody patches on her face, head, and leg), her ears are crusted, and
once the crusts are removed the skin underneath is raw and bleeds.
The skin appears to dry underneath the fur, and then flake off with
the fur still attached. It grows back over time, only to fall off
again. She doesn't appear to be in too much pain, and she's not
scratching badly, so I doubt there is much itching, although the
Cortisone might be holding the itching down. She is on a Hill's
senior dry food (kibble) diet, as are the other two cats and they are
fine. She had a similar skin problem some 6 years ago on her back (a
large section, possibly 20cm x about 10cm), but the fur grew back over
time.

We've taken her to the vet on a number of occasions, and he has done a
biopsy. She doesn't have cancer.
No fungus. No parasites.

In desperation we are trying a changed diet, but I would be very
pleased to hear from anyone who has had a similar condition with their
cat, and found a remedy, or the cause. It could be an allergic
reaction, but for the life of me I have no idea what.

Anyone have any ideas? (I have a close-up photo available if a visual
would help.)

Many thanks,
Chris

Rene S.
January 30th 08, 03:45 PM
I have a friend whose cat has the same problem, and I asked her what
she was doing. First, you need to get your cats off of Science Diet
(and all dry foods, actually). This is not a food fit for a carnivore
and is often responsible for allergic reactions, as it is full of corn
and other grains. The best thing you can do is get your cats on a
grain-free canned food, fed approximately every 12 hours. She uses
Wellness and Nature's Variety grain free canned food as well as NV raw
food (I also feed NV raw and on occasion Wellness canned.)

The second thing that made a big difference, and was vet recommended,
is giving a 1/2 capsule of #4 LIFE Transfer Factor daily. You can mix
it with a tiny amount of baby food (plain chicken) and water and give
it via syringe, to make sure he gets the full dose. This is where she
buys it (the best price she's found online). It MUST be this specific
product/brand because of the combination of ingredients! NO
substitutions! It may seem expensive upfront, but if you do the math,
it averages out to .55-1.00 per day. Her cat had a flare up; she
started him on this and it was gone within four days, and has not
returned. She keeps him on a maintenance dose of a 1/2 capsule per
day. Since your cat is having a more severe outbreak, you might want
to start with 1 capsule per day until it starts to clear, then go down
to 1/2 capsule per day. Using this product, she has not had to resort
to steroids. http://betterherbs.serrahost.com/Detail.bok?no=355

You should also read www.catinfo.org and also purchase the book Your
Cat. I have read both of these personally and they are excellent
resources. Here is the link to Amazon for the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simple-Secrets-Stronger/dp/0312358016/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201707395&sr=8-1

ChrisP
January 31st 08, 08:00 AM
On Jan 30, 5:45*pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> I have a friend whose cat has the same problem, and I asked her what
> she was doing. First, you need to get your cats off of Science Diet
> (and all dry foods, actually). This is not a food fit for a carnivore
> and is often responsible for allergic reactions, as it is full of corn
> and other grains. The best thing you can do is get your cats on a
> grain-free canned food, fed approximately every 12 hours. She uses
> Wellness and Nature's Variety grain free canned food as well as NV raw
> food (I also feed NV raw and on occasion Wellness canned.)
>
> The second thing that made a big difference, and was vet recommended,
> is giving a 1/2 capsule of #4 LIFE Transfer Factor daily. You can mix
> it with a tiny amount of baby food (plain chicken) and water and give
> it via syringe, to make sure he gets the full dose. This is where she
> buys it (the best price she's found online). It MUST be this specific
> product/brand because of the combination of ingredients! NO
> substitutions! *It may seem expensive upfront, but if you do the math,
> it averages out to .55-1.00 per day. Her cat had a flare up; she
> started him on this and it was gone within four days, and has not
> returned. She keeps him on a maintenance dose of a 1/2 capsule per
> day. Since your cat is having a more severe outbreak, you might want
> to start with 1 capsule per day until it starts to clear, then go down
> to 1/2 capsule per day. Using this product, she has not had to resort
> to steroids.http://betterherbs.serrahost.com/Detail.bok?no=355
>
> You should also readwww.catinfo.organd also purchase the book Your
> Cat. I have read both of these personally and they are excellent
> resources. Here is the link to Amazon for the book:http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simple-Secrets-Stronger/dp/0312358016/...

Thank you Rene. We've already made the food switch, and I will try
and see if we can source #4 LIFE Transfer Factor. We're in Cape Town,
South Africa, so sourcing items is not all that quick.

I'll post an update once things progress.

blkcatgal
February 2nd 08, 03:49 PM
Definitely start feeding your cat a grain free food. You also may want to
consult a different vet for a second opinion.

Good luck. I hope your kitty can find some relief.

S.
---
"ChrisP" > wrote in message
>I have a 12 year old ginger female cat which is suffering from extreme
> hair loss and scabbing. In addition to hair loss (leaving bald and
> bloody patches on her face, head, and leg), her ears are crusted, and
> once the crusts are removed the skin underneath is raw and bleeds.
> The skin appears to dry underneath the fur, and then flake off with
> the fur still attached. It grows back over time, only to fall off
> again. She doesn't appear to be in too much pain, and she's not
> scratching badly, so I doubt there is much itching, although the
> Cortisone might be holding the itching down. She is on a Hill's
> senior dry food (kibble) diet, as are the other two cats and they are
> fine. She had a similar skin problem some 6 years ago on her back (a
> large section, possibly 20cm x about 10cm), but the fur grew back over
> time.
>
> We've taken her to the vet on a number of occasions, and he has done a
> biopsy. She doesn't have cancer.
> No fungus. No parasites.
>
> In desperation we are trying a changed diet, but I would be very
> pleased to hear from anyone who has had a similar condition with their
> cat, and found a remedy, or the cause. It could be an allergic
> reaction, but for the life of me I have no idea what.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? (I have a close-up photo available if a visual
> would help.)
>
> Many thanks,
> Chris

cybercat
February 2nd 08, 04:35 PM
"ChrisP" > wrote:

> In desperation we are trying a changed diet, but I would be very
> pleased to hear from anyone who has had a similar condition with their
> cat, and found a remedy, or the cause. It could be an allergic
> reaction, but for the life of me I have no idea what.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? (I have a close-up photo available if a visual
> would help.)

I have an itchy, allergic, asthmatic little cat so I feel for you.

Treat yours as you would an allergic child. I saw improvement
when I made sure her litter was unscented and that the blankets
and clothing she comes into contact with are washed with
hypoallergenic detergent (scent free is what you need), and--
just not wearing perfume cut her asthma attacks back a lot.
(Asthma and allergies are caused by similar things.)

I had a maid service then, and when I stopped that and switched
to milder cleaners, that helped. Think irritants, contact and inhaled.

Many cats have wheat allergies--I think mine does, but she is okay
with corn, so she can still have Purina One dry. It is best to get them
ALL off of dry, canned is so much better for them, but she is skinny
and will not eat much wet, so I got tired of spooning expensive wet
food into the trash and gave in.