PDA

View Full Version : feline vetrinary books for non-professionals

January 30th 08, 05:24 PM
Hi all, it looks like you've got a good group going on here. I've got
a question that I think is on topic here.

I'm interested in buying a vetrinary textbook dedicated to cats. I've
got a really good vet, but love my kitties too much not to get as much
info as I can, especially now that they are mature kitties (10 and 15
years).

I'm not unfamilar with medical textbooks, and feel confident I could
manage to make use of one. i've got two in mind....

The Feline Patient: v. 1
by Gary Norsworthy (Editor), Mitchell Crystal (Editor), et al.
Jan 2007 edition

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feline-Patient-v-1/dp/0781762685/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1201244748&sr=11-1

Problem-Based Feline Medicine
by Jacquie Rand
Sep 2006 edition

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Problem-Based-Feline-Medicine-Jacquie-Rand/dp/0702024880/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201709504&sr=1-1

The both look really good and up to date. Is anyone familar with these
or similar books? And could offer a recommendation or even just advice
on what to look for in these type of books.

Thanks!

Rene S.
January 30th 08, 05:56 PM
On Jan 30, 10:24*am, wrote:
> Hi all, it looks like you've got a good group going on here. I've got
> a question that I think is on topic here.
>
> I'm interested in buying a vetrinary textbook dedicated to cats. I've
> got a really good vet, but love my kitties too much not to get as much
> info as I can, especially now that they are mature kitties (10 and 15
> years).

Here are some suggestions. Your Cat is a good, general reference book.
This isn't a textbook, but is an easy-to-understand all-purpose cat
book. It's something that every cat owner should own, written by a
veterinarian.
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simple-Secrets-Stronger/dp/0312358016/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201711960&sr=8-1

I also own the Cornell Book of cats, which I find to be an excellent
overall reference book. You can read some reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/Cornell-Book-Cats-Comprehensive-Authoritative/dp/0679449531/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201712015&sr=1-1

Another book that looks good, but that I don't own is the new Merck/
Merial manual for pet health. It's reasonably priced, but does include
information on a number of pets, not just cats. So far, reviews on
Amazon seem to be positive:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0911910999/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3G23ZFIH3S4O0&colid=38DDN1MH4Y24L