PDA

View Full Version : here's a new behavior?

CohibaStore
January 30th 08, 09:13 PM
so our female 9 to 11 year old female has always been a little
strange, mostly from being in a strange house, ours. but lately she's
developed an odd habit even for her.

with most cats if you scratch at the base of the tail they raise up
higher in the back legs out of reflex. molly did this all her life
until recently. now if you scratch her, she starts/preening licking
anything and everything in sight until you stop.

while it was an entertaining quirk, it's was followed a few weeks
later by new compulsion to lick and pull fur from a certain spot on
her back hip thats she's licked almost bare.

she quite healthy, eats like a pig (not really fat), eats 1/2 home
made food with supplements added and half premium canned, no by
products.

does it sound like its behavior, boredom, or something physical?

and any suggestions for a good vet in the lancaster PA are would be
great. we just moved here and the first vet we went to, it turned out
has a bad reputation.

TIA

DDT

cybercat
January 30th 08, 09:49 PM
"CohibaStore" > wrote in message
> so our female 9 to 11 year old female has always been a little
> strange, mostly from being in a strange house, ours. but lately she's
> developed an odd habit even for her.
>
> with most cats if you scratch at the base of the tail they raise up
> higher in the back legs out of reflex. molly did this all her life
> until recently. now if you scratch her, she starts/preening licking
> anything and everything in sight until you stop.
>
> while it was an entertaining quirk, it's was followed a few weeks
> later by new compulsion to lick and pull fur from a certain spot on
> her back hip thats she's licked almost bare.
>
> she quite healthy, eats like a pig (not really fat), eats 1/2 home
> made food with supplements added and half premium canned, no by
> products.
>
> does it sound like its behavior, boredom, or something physical?

It's called feline hyperesthesia, and you should stop doing this to her,
because it is really uncomfortable for her. My tuxedo has it.

IBen Getiner[_2_]
January 31st 08, 06:06 AM
On Jan 30, 3:13�pm, CohibaStore > wrote:
> so our female 9 to 11 year old female has always been a little
> strange, mostly from being in a strange house, ours. but lately she's
> developed an odd habit even for her.
>
> with most cats if you scratch at the base of the tail they raise up
> higher in the back legs out of reflex. molly did this all her life
> until recently. now if you scratch her, she starts/preening licking
> anything and everything in sight until you stop.
>
> while it was an entertaining quirk, it's was followed a few weeks
> later by new compulsion to lick and pull fur from a certain spot on
> her back hip thats she's licked almost bare.
>
> she quite healthy, eats like a pig (not really fat), eats 1/2 home
> made food with supplements added and half premium canned, no by
> products.
>
> does it sound like its behavior, boredom, or something physical?
>
> and any suggestions for a good vet in the lancaster PA are would be
> great. we just moved here and the first vet we went to, it turned out
> has a bad reputation.
>
> TIA
>
> DDT

You're getting her hot. You rubbing is to her a type of foreplay
(being a female, she needs that sort of thing).... Stop doing it or
I'm tellin'....

IBen Getiner