PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of Kitty Litter

mc
January 31st 08, 03:50 PM
I posted this message, or a very similar one, last night and even had
one response and today it is gone. Why would that be? Was it removed
or was there an error on Googles part?

My question is this:

I use Tidy Cats kitty litter. I use an odor control formula and we are
religious about changing the boxes every week. I like it for many
reasons - it doesn't seem too dusty and it is inexpensive where I buy
it.

However, I have some concerns about "recycling" it. There are
fresheners in the stuff so I cannot put it on my garden. We have
chickens as well and sometimes I sell the eggs as "organic". I can't
have them scratching around in the stuff. We had this big hole in our
yard where there was a pool once and we have been throwing the kitty
litter in that hole. Come spring we will throw some gravel and dirt
and then cover it all with topsoil and sew some grass over it and none
will be the wiser.

But now... how to dispose of this stuff? I have tried plastic bags...
my next thing will be to try the kitty liner bags... but plastic
garbage bags tend to rip, so they aren't very effective.

What do other people do about this issue? Just curious, would love
some suggestions.

Thanks :-)

---MIKE---
January 31st 08, 04:43 PM
>>What do other people do about this
>> issue? Just curious, would love some
>> suggestions.

I have covered container with a plastic trash bag inside. When I scoop,
I put the "items" in the container. Once a week I go to the dump and I
empty the container into the plastic garbage bag. I add baking soda to
the container after emptying it.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

mc
January 31st 08, 11:40 PM
Yes, I think I am going to start using those liners for kitty litter
boxes... Thanks ;-)

dejablues[_2_]
February 1st 08, 03:37 AM
"mc" > wrote in message
>I posted this message, or a very similar one, last night and even had
> one response and today it is gone. Why would that be? Was it removed
> or was there an error on Googles part?

Get a newsreader.

> My question is this:
>
> I use Tidy Cats kitty litter. I use an odor control formula and we are
> religious about changing the boxes every week. I like it for many
> reasons - it doesn't seem too dusty and it is inexpensive where I buy
> it.
>
> However, I have some concerns about "recycling" it. There are
> fresheners in the stuff so I cannot put it on my garden. We have
> chickens as well and sometimes I sell the eggs as "organic". I can't
> have them scratching around in the stuff. We had this big hole in our
> yard where there was a pool once and we have been throwing the kitty
> litter in that hole. Come spring we will throw some gravel and dirt
> and then cover it all with topsoil and sow some grass over it and none
> will be the wiser.
>
> But now... how to dispose of this stuff? I have tried plastic bags...
> my next thing will be to try the kitty liner bags... but plastic
> garbage bags tend to rip, so they aren't very effective.
>
> What do other people do about this issue? Just curious, would love
> some suggestions.
>
> Thanks :-)

Why not use Feline Pine? It smells great, naturally, and I just flush it
down the toilet, and our old house plumbing takes it without problem.
The bag says you can use it as mulch in the garden but I don't want to
attract other cats.

Would you throw your own waste into a hole in your yard?

mc
February 1st 08, 06:33 AM
Haven't you ever noticed how well the grass grows over the septic
tank? LOL :-)

<winks>

mc
February 1st 08, 06:37 AM
My concern, though, was the deoderizers in the kitty litter...

I like the idea of Feline Pine... I will look into that.

THANK YOU ;-)

dejablues[_2_]
February 1st 08, 09:57 PM
"mc" > wrote in message
> Haven't you ever noticed how well the grass grows over the septic
> tank? LOL :-)
>
> <winks>

hehehehe

Christina Websell
February 3rd 08, 12:37 AM
"mc" > wrote in message
>I posted this message, or a very similar one, last night and even had
> one response and today it is gone. Why would that be? Was it removed
> or was there an error on Googles part?
>
> My question is this:
>
> I use Tidy Cats kitty litter. I use an odor control formula and we are
> religious about changing the boxes every week. I like it for many
> reasons - it doesn't seem too dusty and it is inexpensive where I buy
> it.
>
> However, I have some concerns about "recycling" it. There are
> fresheners in the stuff so I cannot put it on my garden. We have
> chickens as well and sometimes I sell the eggs as "organic". I can't
> have them scratching around in the stuff. We had this big hole in our
> yard where there was a pool once and we have been throwing the kitty
> litter in that hole. Come spring we will throw some gravel and dirt
> and then cover it all with topsoil and sew some grass over it and none
> will be the wiser.
>
> But now... how to dispose of this stuff? I have tried plastic bags...
> my next thing will be to try the kitty liner bags... but plastic
> garbage bags tend to rip, so they aren't very effective.
>
> What do other people do about this issue? Just curious, would love
> some suggestions.
>
> Thanks :-)

You cannot recycle kitty litter. In the UK we are allowed to put it in our
garbage bins if we tie it up in plastic bags. If you don't and just chuck it
in they will return your bin unemptied.

mc
February 3rd 08, 02:05 AM
Hey Everyone,

I sure appreciate your tips. I think they are all good ideas. I am
going to give them a try :-)

Thanks so much :-)