PDA

View Full Version : What can cats sense under a house?

Patty Winter
February 1st 08, 06:42 AM
Last summer, after my cat had been staring at floor vents for
some weeks, I finally heard a rat gnawing on the floorboards.
Clearly, she either smelled or heard him long before I knew
that he was there. I was eventually able to find the hole he
was using to enter and leave the space under the house; once
I closed that up, he got hungry and it only took me a day or
two to trap him and relocate him to a nearby creek.

Well, now she's doing it again. This time, it's only one specific
floor vent--at least, so far. I've done a preliminary look-see
around the house (between rainstorms) and haven't spotted any
openings. Has anyone here ever experienced a cat sensing, say,
insects (e.g. termites) under a house? I'd prefer that it be
a rat or a mouse! They're cuter, and easier to get rid of. :-)

Patty

blkcatgal
February 1st 08, 01:56 PM
My cats do the same thing....however, I have not heard or found any signs of
critters entering the house. That doesn't mean there isn't something there,
I just haven't been able to find anything. I don't know if my cats have a
great sense of smell or hearing.

S.
---
"Patty Winter" > wrote in message
> Last summer, after my cat had been staring at floor vents for
> some weeks, I finally heard a rat gnawing on the floorboards.
> Clearly, she either smelled or heard him long before I knew
> that he was there. I was eventually able to find the hole he
> was using to enter and leave the space under the house; once
> I closed that up, he got hungry and it only took me a day or
> two to trap him and relocate him to a nearby creek.
>
> Well, now she's doing it again. This time, it's only one specific
> floor vent--at least, so far. I've done a preliminary look-see
> around the house (between rainstorms) and haven't spotted any
> openings. Has anyone here ever experienced a cat sensing, say,
> insects (e.g. termites) under a house? I'd prefer that it be
> a rat or a mouse! They're cuter, and easier to get rid of. :-)
>

> Patty

cybercat
February 1st 08, 07:21 PM
"Patty Winter" > wrote in message

Anything that moves.

February 1st 08, 11:45 PM
On Feb 1, 1:42´┐Żam, (Patty Winter) wrote:
> Last summer, after my cat had been staring at floor vents
[snip]
> Well, now she's doing it again. This time, it's only one specific
> floor vent--at least, so far. I've done a preliminary look-see
> around the house (between rainstorms) and haven't spotted any
> openings. Has anyone here ever experienced a cat sensing, say,
> insects (e.g. termites) under a house? I'd prefer that it be
> a rat or a mouse! They're cuter, and easier to get rid of. :-)
>
> Patty

she's a prostitute cat. there is a male cat now in there that has
some money. do you know your cat goes where and does what? when your
not watching it stare at the floor vents? they're all pretty much
cute and feral. How do i get my cat to like me?

Are cat's mammals and not reptiles? What you've been doing with your
cat is your business. i am pleased pleased pleased about it helped
found the rat.

i love cats i am a witch with only just the 1 cat

honeybunch
February 2nd 08, 01:00 AM
On Feb 1, 1:42*am, (Patty Winter) wrote:
> Last summer, after my cat had been staring at floor vents for
> some weeks, I finally heard a rat gnawing on the floorboards.
> Clearly, she either smelled or heard him long before I knew
> that he was there. I was eventually able to find the hole he
> was using to enter and leave the space under the house; once
> I closed that up, he got hungry and it only took me a day or
> two to trap him and relocate him to a nearby creek.
>
> Well, now she's doing it again. This time, it's only one specific
> floor vent--at least, so far. I've done a preliminary look-see
> around the house (between rainstorms) and haven't spotted any
> openings. Has anyone here ever experienced a cat sensing, say,
> insects (e.g. termites) under a house? I'd prefer that it be
> a rat or a mouse! They're cuter, and easier to get rid of. :-)
>
> Patty

My Beebe will be so sound asleep that he is limp as a rag and will
suddenly wake up in the middle of the night because he hears something
in the garden and will go jump out of his bed and go to look out the
window. I think cats have supersonic hearing. However...they do tend
of see ghosts as well ... like they dance around and pretend something
has frightened them just for a big game of catch-me-if-you-can.