PDA

View Full Version : Possible to have a clean-smelling house with an indoor cat (or two)?Litterbox robots? Air filters?

February 1st 08, 11:11 AM
I love cats and may be getting one (or two) soon.

Thing is, I hate the "cat" smell; which I'm guessing comes 100% from
litter boxes rather than, say, a doggy smell--from the oils / glands
of a dog.

So... given an indoor cat, what can be done to keep a house from
smelling bad? Do those robotic litter boxes work well? Presuming they
scoop away the bad stuff immediately after the cat does its business.
Would that alone keep the smell from getting around?

What about putting an air filter machine next to the litter box?

Also, how reliable are those robotic litter boxes and what brands
should I look for? They're no good if they break down often.

Thanks in advance. Love those kitties--hate that smell. I've been in
some apartments where people have 3 cats and the stench hits you when
you walk in the door.

dgk
February 1st 08, 01:29 PM
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 03:11:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>I love cats and may be getting one (or two) soon.
>
>Thing is, I hate the "cat" smell; which I'm guessing comes 100% from
>litter boxes rather than, say, a doggy smell--from the oils / glands
>of a dog.
>
>So... given an indoor cat, what can be done to keep a house from
>smelling bad? Do those robotic litter boxes work well? Presuming they
>scoop away the bad stuff immediately after the cat does its business.
>Would that alone keep the smell from getting around?
>
>What about putting an air filter machine next to the litter box?
>
>Also, how reliable are those robotic litter boxes and what brands
>should I look for? They're no good if they break down often.
>
>Thanks in advance. Love those kitties--hate that smell. I've been in
>some apartments where people have 3 cats and the stench hits you when
>you walk in the door.

I have three cats and admittedly don't have the world's best sniffer
but the litter boxes are kept clean and the cats are neutered. There
is no smell. If you have intact cats, you're going to have smells for
sure.

One real important trick is feeding with quality cat food, not 9-lives
or Friskees from the supermarket. When the furballs eat that stuff, it
does noticeably smell and there is more waste.

Litter does keep the smells down, but I haven't noticed any difference
between the various options of "MultiCat", "Fast Odor Control", "Long
Acting Odor Control", etc. Well, don't buy the Long Acting since you
should clean out the litter box at least daily. I don't always manage
that but usually I do.

Folks into the automated litter boxes seem to find the LitterMaid type
unsatisfactory. There is a litter robot that gets better marks (I just
mentioned this one in another thread). Just google Litter Robot. There
are a few models from $300 to $400 or so.

And get two cats, not one, preferably from a shelter. The cats will
take care of each other with grooming and providing a playmate. While
they chase each other around and roll on the floor play-fighting, you
can do other stuff. With one cat you have to provide much more
attention and playing in order to keep them active and happy. A
shelter should be able to provide two cats that get along well. Most
cats will get along anyway but it's nice to know that in advance.

Good luck with your new masters.

blkcatgal
February 1st 08, 02:02 PM
Yes, it is possible to have a clean smelling house with cats. Depending on
how many cats you decide to adopt, you should have at the very least, one
box per cat. Keep the boxes clean and you shouldn't have a problem with
smells. I clean my cat boxes out at least 2-3 times a day. Also, I keep
one of those air freshner things in the room where the boxes are and that
helps. An air filter machine could help, I suppose. I don't have any
experience with the automated boxes. Also, feed your cats a good quality
food.

Congratulations on your decision to adopt. I think 2 cats are better than
one....they can keep each other company.

S.
---

> wrote in message
>I love cats and may be getting one (or two) soon.
>
> Thing is, I hate the "cat" smell; which I'm guessing comes 100% from
> litter boxes rather than, say, a doggy smell--from the oils / glands
> of a dog.
>
> So... given an indoor cat, what can be done to keep a house from
> smelling bad? Do those robotic litter boxes work well? Presuming they
> scoop away the bad stuff immediately after the cat does its business.
> Would that alone keep the smell from getting around?
>
> What about putting an air filter machine next to the litter box?
>
> Also, how reliable are those robotic litter boxes and what brands
> should I look for? They're no good if they break down often.
>
> Thanks in advance. Love those kitties--hate that smell. I've been in
> some apartments where people have 3 cats and the stench hits you when
> you walk in the door.

bobblespin[_2_]
February 1st 08, 03:53 PM
wrote in news:5cc2046a-278f-40d5-8972-f9638e0b57a2
@b2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> I love cats and may be getting one (or two) soon.
>
> Thing is, I hate the "cat" smell; which I'm guessing comes 100% from
> litter boxes rather than, say, a doggy smell--from the oils / glands
> of a dog.
>
> So... given an indoor cat, what can be done to keep a house from
> smelling bad? Do those robotic litter boxes work well? Presuming they
> scoop away the bad stuff immediately after the cat does its business.
> Would that alone keep the smell from getting around?
>
> What about putting an air filter machine next to the litter box?
>
> Also, how reliable are those robotic litter boxes and what brands
> should I look for? They're no good if they break down often.
>
> Thanks in advance. Love those kitties--hate that smell. I've been in
> some apartments where people have 3 cats and the stench hits you when
> you walk in the door.

There is no cat smell in my house at all because we use clumping litter
and scoop out the pee and poo twice a day. I make sure it is quite deep
so that the pee never reaches the bottom of the box and doesn't seep
into the plastic. Neighbours have been amazed that there is no cat
smell in my house, so I just tell them to use clumping litter and remove
the business every day.

Bobble

cybercat
February 1st 08, 07:21 PM
> wrote :
>
> Thanks in advance. Love those kitties--hate that smell. I've been in
> some apartments where people have 3 cats and the stench hits you when
> you walk in the door.

Just scoop a lot, and completely empty and wash and dry the boxes
regularly. How often depends on lots of factors.

Also, be sure you have enough boxes, and in the right places, to
encourage your cats to eliminate there, instead of on your rugs.

My house has never smelled catty.

February 1st 08, 07:23 PM
"bobblespin" > wrote
> There is no cat smell in my house at all because we use clumping litter
> and scoop out the pee and poo twice a day. I make sure it is quite deep
> so that the pee never reaches the bottom of the box and doesn't seep
> into the plastic.

Enough litter is an important factor. I have a large cat box, and put 28
lbs in at a time.