PDA

View Full Version : My Lovely Tom Cat

Babypink
February 3rd 08, 01:28 PM
Hi

I have had my lovely tom cat from a kitten and he is now 3 years old. I
have never owned a tom cat before and he is just so adoreable, but there is
a behaviour that he does religiously every single morning and wondered why
he does it.

He sleeps in the house but late at night he always sleeps at the side of me.
When I wake in the morning he is basically waiting for me to wake up, the
moment I stir, he is there in my face. He then starts to purr loudly and
then rolls all over me, putting his paws on my eye lids, or nose or mouth.
He then rubs his face under my neck, in my hair, in my face and even though
I push him away he just keeps doing it all the time and this can go on for
up to an hour.

Its not got to the stage where when I know I am awake, I keep my eyes shut
so I can have about another 15 minutes to wake up properly otherwise he
literally dives into my face.

I then get up and he is so under my feet I stumble and trip up over him even
though he knows I have to go to the bathroom, and he sits on the edge of the
bath until I am ready to leave and then as I go to walk down the stairs he
races like a lunatic to the bottom and looks back to make sure I am walking
down the stairs. This has been going on since he was about 1 year old and I
just would like ot know if this is normal behaviour and if so what is he
doing and why?

Thanks

cybercat
February 3rd 08, 04:55 PM
"Babypink" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have had my lovely tom cat from a kitten and he is now 3 years old. I
> have never owned a tom cat before and he is just so adoreable, but there
> is a behaviour that he does religiously every single morning and wondered
> why he does it.
>
> He sleeps in the house but late at night he always sleeps at the side of
> me. When I wake in the morning he is basically waiting for me to wake up,
> the moment I stir, he is there in my face. He then starts to purr loudly
> and then rolls all over me, putting his paws on my eye lids, or nose or
> mouth. He then rubs his face under my neck, in my hair, in my face and
> even though I push him away he just keeps doing it all the time and this
> can go on for up to an hour.
>
> Its not got to the stage where when I know I am awake, I keep my eyes shut
> so I can have about another 15 minutes to wake up properly otherwise he
> literally dives into my face.
>
> I then get up and he is so under my feet I stumble and trip up over him
> even though he knows I have to go to the bathroom, and he sits on the edge
> of the bath until I am ready to leave and then as I go to walk down the
> stairs he races like a lunatic to the bottom and looks back to make sure I
> am walking down the stairs. This has been going on since he was about 1
> year old and I just would like ot know if this is normal behaviour and if
> so what is he doing and why?

It's called love. :) He loves you. You're his human. My Gracie does similar
things. I wake up with her ENORMOUS eyes looking into mine. She walks
on me and kneads me, goes to sleep on me, and slithers up for petting,
lays beside me like a rag doll, then follows me all around the house,
greeting
me, talking to me, then jumping away to gather up a throw rug into a burrito
to kick to death, coming back to rub against my legs, running away with a
"mmrrrrrp!" to zip around the house and body slam her favorite toys.

When I go back up to my office, she lays on the warm router beside
my chair, and if I look down ishe is usually looking at me expectantly,
so I play with her with the elastic string she loves. If I get engrossed in
work, or am on the phone and let my hand hang down instead of
resting it on my desk, she gives me these hilarious little love nips.

She was adopted as a 1-2 year old in 2001, and she has gotten
warmer and more fun, displayed more personality the more "at home"
she has felt, or the longer she has been here, anyway.

Richard Evans
February 3rd 08, 05:01 PM
"Babypink" > wrote:

>I then get up and he is so under my feet I stumble and trip up over him even
>though he knows I have to go to the bathroom, and he sits on the edge of the
>bath until I am ready to leave and then as I go to walk down the stairs he
>races like a lunatic to the bottom and looks back to make sure I am walking
>down the stairs. This has been going on since he was about 1 year old and I
>just would like ot know if this is normal behaviour and if so what is he
>doing and why?

Here's a video you may find instructional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmwqpHsMExg

Babypink
February 3rd 08, 05:05 PM
That is brilliant, my cat actually jumped up when he heard the Meow!

"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
> "Babypink" > wrote:
>

>>I then get up and he is so under my feet I stumble and trip up over him
>>even
>>though he knows I have to go to the bathroom, and he sits on the edge of
>>the
>>bath until I am ready to leave and then as I go to walk down the stairs he
>>races like a lunatic to the bottom and looks back to make sure I am
>>walking
>>down the stairs. This has been going on since he was about 1 year old and
>>just would like ot know if this is normal behaviour and if so what is he
>>doing and why?
>

> Here's a video you may find instructional.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmwqpHsMExg

mc
February 3rd 08, 06:03 PM
That is a really funny video!!!

Sounds like your cat is pretty normal :-)

mc
February 3rd 08, 06:18 PM
My cat Butterball always touches his little wet nose right to my
nose... often that is enough to wake me up...

LOL

mlbriggs
February 3rd 08, 06:22 PM
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:28:59 +0000, Babypink wrote:

> his

He is telling you he loves you but wishes you would hurry up and feed
him. Perhaps it would help if you left some kibble out overnight. Best
wishes. MLB

Babypink
February 3rd 08, 06:25 PM
I do, always leave him some nibbles for him over night, but I just think he
likes to just get me up anyway.

Cats, dont ya just love em!

"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:28:59 +0000, Babypink wrote:
>
>> his
>
> He is telling you he loves you but wishes you would hurry up and feed
> him. Perhaps it would help if you left some kibble out overnight. Best
> wishes. MLB

Stan Brown
February 3rd 08, 06:59 PM
Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:28:59 GMT from Babypink <babypink2807
@ntlworld.com>:
> he sits on the edge of the
> bath until I am ready to leave and then as I go to walk down the stairs he
> races like a lunatic to the bottom and looks back to make sure I am walking
> down the stairs.

Robert A. Heinlein, in /The Door into Summer/, called this behavior
"following me ahead of me".

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

February 3rd 08, 07:00 PM
In article >,
says...
> "Babypink" > wrote:
>

> >I then get up and he is so under my feet I stumble and trip up over him even
> >though he knows I have to go to the bathroom, and he sits on the edge of the
> >bath until I am ready to leave and then as I go to walk down the stairs he
> >races like a lunatic to the bottom and looks back to make sure I am walking
> >down the stairs. This has been going on since he was about 1 year old and I
> >just would like ot know if this is normal behaviour and if so what is he
> >doing and why?
>

> Here's a video you may find instructional.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmwqpHsMExg

That was too funny, I didn't expect the ending though.

My best cat ever was Randy. He used to curl up right next to me when I
slept and he wasn't the type to bat the face. He knew when I was to wake
up and he'd have his face right in mine.

cybercat
February 3rd 08, 07:52 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:28:59 +0000, Babypink wrote:
>
>> his
>
> He is telling you he loves you but wishes you would hurry up and feed
> him. Perhaps it would help if you left some kibble out overnight. Best
> wishes. MLB

Gracie does this when her bowl is full.

February 3rd 08, 07:52 PM
"Stan Brown" > wrote in message
t...
> Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:28:59 GMT from Babypink <babypink2807
> @ntlworld.com>:
>> he sits on the edge of the
>> bath until I am ready to leave and then as I go to walk down the stairs
>> he
>> races like a lunatic to the bottom and looks back to make sure I am
>> walking
>> down the stairs.
>
> Robert A. Heinlein, in /The Door into Summer/, called this behavior
> "following me ahead of me".

He was a great cat man. He appreciated women, too.

February 3rd 08, 11:25 PM
In article >,
says...
> Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:28:59 GMT from Babypink <babypink2807
> @ntlworld.com>:
> > he sits on the edge of the
> > bath until I am ready to leave and then as I go to walk down the stairs he
> > races like a lunatic to the bottom and looks back to make sure I am walking
> > down the stairs.
>
> Robert A. Heinlein, in /The Door into Summer/, called this behavior
> "following me ahead of me".

There was another Heinlein book, "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls".

February 3rd 08, 11:27 PM
In article >,
says...

> "Stan Brown" > wrote in message
> t...
> > Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:28:59 GMT from Babypink <babypink2807
> > @ntlworld.com>:
> >> he sits on the edge of the
> >> bath until I am ready to leave and then as I go to walk down the stairs
> >> he
> >> races like a lunatic to the bottom and looks back to make sure I am
> >> walking
> >> down the stairs.
> >
> > Robert A. Heinlein, in /The Door into Summer/, called this behavior
> > "following me ahead of me".
> >

> He was a great cat man. He appreciated women, too.

Yes, he featured both cats and women prominently in his writings.

By the way, Randy's full name was Random Numbers, that came from a
Heinlein book too.

cybercat
February 4th 08, 12:20 AM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> "Stan Brown" > wrote in message
>> t...
>> >
>> > Robert A. Heinlein, in /The Door into Summer/, called this behavior
>> > "following me ahead of me".
>> >

>> He was a great cat man. He appreciated women, too.
>>

> Yes, he featured both cats and women prominently in his writings.
>
> By the way, Randy's full name was Random Numbers, that came from a
> Heinlein book too.

I forgot all about that!! I read Heinlein as a teenager.