PDA

View Full Version : cat diagnosed - won't eat k/d - phosphorus question - all round HELP!

eden
February 5th 08, 06:57 PM
Several questions, all help and advice gratefully received!

My 2nd 15yr old cat (George) was diagnosed last week with kidney
disease. Was taken in for dental op and I asked for blood/urine tests
to be done (just in case as other cat had been diagnosed incidentally)
vet put him straight on a drip for 24hrs which scared me half to death
as his levels were high. Both cats are showing no signs of problems
other than increased thirst at the moment. Both cats are now on
Fortekor. BTW they go to different vets.

Vet insists I should feed Hills k/d food but both cats look at me in
disgust. They will eat a few of the biscuits (def not tins/sachets)
eventually but show no signs of relish about it. I have been trying
half and half with former food but still no joy and he says that is
pointless anyway.
Question: how long do I persist with this? Vet says if I really cant
get them to eat it he will try a phosphorus binder - how does that
help and do cats generally eat it ok? Do you just use it with regular
food?

Reading through posts on this board I get the idea that low
phosphorous levels are more important than low protein is that
correct? If so what is the optimum level that it should be below
percentage-wise? Does anyone have names of food available in the UK
that are low-phosphorous?

I have another appointment on next Monday and want to be armed with as
much info as I can find.

Nancy
February 5th 08, 07:04 PM
eden wrote:
> > Vet insists I should feed Hills k/d food but both cats look at me in
> disgust. They will eat a few of the biscuits (def not tins/sachets)
> eventually but show no signs of relish about it. I have been trying
> half and half with former food but still no joy and he says that is
> pointless anyway.
> Question: how long do I persist with this? Vet says if I really cant
> get them to eat it he will try a phosphorus binder - how does that
> help and do cats generally eat it ok? Do you just use it with regular
> food?

My 19 year old was just put on i/d canned food. She wouldn't eat it
straight, but when I mix half a can with a half-cup of beef or chicken
broth and mush it all together she will eat it.

Nancy

Rene S.
February 5th 08, 09:27 PM
First things first. Make sure the cats eat NOW or they will have more
health problems than failing kidneys to worry about. Even if you have
to feed them their old food for a few days, make sure they eat
something soon!

Personally, I would not feed my cats anything Hills, especially not k/
d--I can't blame the cats for not wanting to eat it. Look at the list
of ingredients--scary. I would much rather feed a high-quality canned
diet instead of this. I found this site, which has diet information:
http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm

I suggest doing your homework and read up on Feline CRF. There are
varying opinions on low protein diets. A couple of good sites are:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=003
http://www.felinecrf.com/

I would not feed dry food of any kind. The kidneys are going to need
extra fluid, which dry food just doesn't provide. Here's an excellent
web site explaining feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/

Your cats will most likely need sub-Q fluids and even potassium
supplements. The fluids are easily given at home. Ask your vet about
dosages/frequency.

blkcatgal
February 6th 08, 12:47 AM
Rene and cindys have given you some good info. Also, there is a yahoo group
called Feline-CRF-Support that you may want to join to get more info. There
are lots of knowledgeable people there dealing with cats with CRF. Good
luck.

S.
---