PDA

View Full Version : Cat plays in litter box

February 6th 08, 04:45 AM
Has anyone heard of a Cat that like to play in his litter box?

At first it seemed as if the cat would play in the box everytime I
cleaned it. A few weeks ago I notice he would do this if it was not
clean, he would toss some litter around then lay down and reapeat the
proccess a few times before he would do his business.

Does anyone know why he would be doing this?

Thanks,

Jason

Noon Cat Nick
February 6th 08, 05:01 AM
wrote:
> Has anyone heard of a Cat that like to play in his litter box?
>
> At first it seemed as if the cat would play in the box everytime I
> cleaned it. A few weeks ago I notice he would do this if it was not
> clean, he would toss some litter around then lay down and reapeat the
> proccess a few times before he would do his business.
>
> Does anyone know why he would be doing this?

Simple answer: Your cat finds it fun to play in the litter box. It's not
unheard of. If using the litter box for its intended purpose is
enjoyable to him, and there's not much else around that's as stimulating
to him, he's gonna go play where he likes to be. Prob'ly likes the feel
of the litter, the way kids like playing in a sandbox.

Try making it less attractive to him as a playground. Put it in a
secluded area well away from his food, water and regular living area.
Give him plenty of different toys, put far away from his litter box.

Less expensive would be to get a covered litter box, making it not so
attractive to play in.

It's not a defect in your cat. Like people, they can simply get amused
by the oddest things.

mc
February 6th 08, 05:59 AM
This is in no way unusual behavior at all... The suggestions made
above are excellent.

I think most of the cats I have had have "investigated" and played in
the litter box at some point in their lives...