PDA

View Full Version : input needed

Gail[_2_]
February 7th 08, 12:17 AM
I have two indoors, active cats (ages 2 and 4 years) and am considering
adopting a third one. Has anyone tried integrating a deaf cat into a
household that already has cats? I am wondering if a deaf cat would be
disadvantaged in terms of being "hit upon" by the residents. The two I have
are not aggressive, but are very playful (they wrestle and tussle like boys)
with each other. Thanks in advance.
Gail

Claude V. Lucas
February 7th 08, 07:13 PM
In article >,
hopitus > wrote:
>On Feb 6, 5:17 pm, "Gail" > wrote:
>> I have two indoors, active cats (ages 2 and 4 years) and am considering
>> adopting a third one. Has anyone tried integrating a deaf cat into a
>> household that already has cats? I am wondering if a deaf cat would be
>> disadvantaged in terms of being "hit upon" by the residents. The two I have
>> are not aggressive, but are very playful (they wrestle and tussle like boys)
>> with each other. Thanks in advance.
>> Gail
>
>I have had a couple of deaf cats over the years....they were large,
>keen-eyed,
>and could hold their own in a tussle with their compadres. No
>problems.
>Blind cats are another matter. Presently we have a *half* blind huge
>neutered
>male whose sight in left eye has been gone since an act of cruelty
>when he
>was a tiny kitten...no one messes with him as he outweighs any of the
>others
>here. But I had a completely blind female for many years who lost her
>sight in
>both eyes from retinal detachment during her last couple years of long
>life. She
>turned very timid and hid quite a bit under beds and in corners from
>the other
>cats who would kinda pick on her but never really hurt her. Other than
>that, as
>their vet predicted, she never forgot where either the food/water
>bowls were nor
>the litterbox location.

My neighbor has a deaf cat that gets along without problems with
her other cats...

My mom had a cat that lost both eyes from some sort of parasite
and was able to get along with her other cats, but they were
siblings. That particular cat maintained her sunny personality
and was very affectionate with people, even strangers. She even
got along well with a couple of large dogs that were introduced
to her when all were full grown. She was able to navigate the
house without problems too, except when items of furniture were
relocated, but it didn't take her long to adapt...

Gail[_2_]
February 7th 08, 07:13 PM
Thank you for your response!!
Gail