PDA

View Full Version : May be a mistake

James
February 7th 08, 05:36 PM
I just got 2 parakeets and my pussy is staking them. The first couple
days she was totally facinated. Today after a hours or so she went to
bed.

The birds might have been stressed. Won't get on my finger like
before.

Noon Cat Nick
February 7th 08, 06:00 PM
James wrote:
> I just got 2 parakeets and my pussy is staking them. The first couple
> days she was totally facinated. Today after a hours or so she went to
> bed.
>
> The birds might have been stressed. Won't get on my finger like
> before.

Possibly. The cat may be stressed also. Any new pet brought in and given
attention is bound to make a cat feel jealous.

Some good tips on easing the tension can be had at
http://birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww13evi.htm. HTH.

mc
February 8th 08, 03:22 AM
The birds probably won't perch on your finger right now because of the
cat. This is understandable. They know there is a predator around but
do not know that you will protect them from the predator.

We have kept birds and cats together for years. Eventually both come
to realize that the other is not going to be a threat.

In fact, sometimes the birds will actually flaunt themselves in front
of the cats... they come to feel so safe. It is pretty funny to see a
bird facing down a cat!

Of course, it is up to you to be absolutely sure your cat cannot get
to the birds... no jumping on cages and make sure all the doors to the
bird cage(s) are wired shut...

Cats are intelligent creatures and can sometimes figure out how to get
to a bird that you might think is perfectly safe. Make sure the bird
is very safe and away from where a cat might be able to jump on top of
the cage.

Phil P.
February 8th 08, 05:48 PM
"mc" > wrote in message
> The birds probably won't perch on your finger right now because of the
> cat. This is understandable. They know there is a predator around but
> do not know that you will protect them from the predator.
>
> We have kept birds and cats together for years. Eventually both come
> to realize that the other is not going to be a threat.
>
> In fact, sometimes the birds will actually flaunt themselves in front
> of the cats... they come to feel so safe. It is pretty funny to see a
> bird facing down a cat!

I love this picture:

http://maxshouse.com/Gallery%20Pix/Benji%20&%20PJ%20-%20Karen%20Simpson's.jpg

James
February 9th 08, 05:56 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/ictf5w.jpg

jmc
February 9th 08, 08:36 AM
Suddenly, without warning, James exclaimed (2/8/2008 3:06 AM):
> I just got 2 parakeets and my pussy is staking them. The first couple
> days she was totally facinated. Today after a hours or so she went to
> bed.
>
> The birds might have been stressed. Won't get on my finger like
> before.

Me and my first cat Mouse moved in with my boyfriend (now hubby of
almost 20 years). She was fascinated by his two goldfish.

Within days, one of the goldfish was upside down :(

Coincidence?

:)

jmc