PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Help w/Feeding

CatNipped[_2_]
February 8th 08, 05:17 PM
In the past I've fed my 5 cats 8 cans of Fancy Feast a day (4 at dawn and 4
at dusk). At their dusk feeding I've also given them dry food that stayed
down for them until the next day's dusk feeding. However, Ozzy seems to
have taken too much of a liking to the dry food. Besides worrying about
weight gain (and Sammy could stand to lose a pound or two), I have boy cats
for the first time ever and I'm worried about too much dry causing crystals
in the urine and blockage of the urethra. Because of all that I'm trying to
wean them off of the dry food altogether.

My question is how much canned food should I be feeding them when I stop
giving them the dry food? Jessie and Demi are both 7.5 pounds. Archer is
11 pound, Ozzy is 12 pounds and Sammy is 20 pounds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also contacting my vet to
get his opinion, but in the meantime I know we have some experts on this
group.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters here: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

CatNipped[_2_]
February 8th 08, 05:24 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> In the past I've fed my 5 cats 8 cans of Fancy Feast a day (4 at dawn and
> 4 at dusk). At their dusk feeding I've also given them dry food that
> stayed down for them until the next day's dusk feeding. However, Ozzy
> seems to have taken too much of a liking to the dry food. Besides
> worrying about weight gain (and Sammy could stand to lose a pound or two),
> I have boy cats for the first time ever and I'm worried about too much dry
> causing crystals in the urine and blockage of the urethra. Because of all
> that I'm trying to wean them off of the dry food altogether.
>
> My question is how much canned food should I be feeding them when I stop
> giving them the dry food? Jessie and Demi are both 7.5 pounds. Archer is
> 11 pound, Ozzy is 12 pounds and Sammy is 20 pounds.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also contacting my vet
> to get his opinion, but in the meantime I know we have some experts on
> this group.

OK, just talked to the vet tech and she is *WAY* off base with her advice.
She tried to tell me that the canned food is causing the weight gain and I
should wean them off canned and give them dry only (Purina) because it's
better for their teeth (!!!!) and the "Indoor Only" formula will prevent
struvite crystals in the boys!!!!

So..... any advice that I can actually implement?

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters here: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Phil P.
February 8th 08, 06:43 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> > In the past I've fed my 5 cats 8 cans of Fancy Feast a day (4 at dawn
and
> > 4 at dusk). At their dusk feeding I've also given them dry food that
> > stayed down for them until the next day's dusk feeding. However, Ozzy
> > seems to have taken too much of a liking to the dry food. Besides
> > worrying about weight gain (and Sammy could stand to lose a pound or
two),
> > I have boy cats for the first time ever and I'm worried about too much
dry
> > causing crystals in the urine and blockage of the urethra. Because of
all
> > that I'm trying to wean them off of the dry food altogether.
> >
> > My question is how much canned food should I be feeding them when I stop
> > giving them the dry food? Jessie and Demi are both 7.5 pounds. Archer
is
> > 11 pound, Ozzy is 12 pounds and Sammy is 20 pounds.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also contacting my
vet
> > to get his opinion, but in the meantime I know we have some experts on
> > this group.
>
> OK, just talked to the vet tech and she is *WAY* off base with her advice.
> She tried to tell me that the canned food is causing the weight gain and I
> should wean them off canned and give them dry only (Purina) because it's
> better for their teeth (!!!!) and the "Indoor Only" formula will prevent
> struvite crystals in the boys!!!!
>
> So..... any advice that I can actually implement?

Sounds like your vet received her education in nutrition from a Hill's sales
rep.

This is the feeding plan I would follow: 16 kcals/lb/day

"Jessie and Demi are both 7.5 pounds" -- 120 kcals/day

"Archer is 11 pound" -- 176 kcals/day

"Ozzy is 12 pounds" - - 130 kcals/day

"Sammy is 20 pounds" - - 320 kcals/day. (You might want to think about a
weight loss program for him).

Fancy Feast diets average about 75 - 85 kcals a 3 oz can depending on the
line (Grilled, Flaked, Gourmet, etc). You can get the caloric content of
the diets you're feeding by calling Fancy Feast directly. While you have
them on the line, ask them to send you the typical analyses for the diets.

Phil

kraut
February 8th 08, 06:51 PM
>> In the past I've fed my 5 cats 8 cans of Fancy Feast a day (4 at dawn and
>> 4 at dusk). At their dusk feeding I've also given them dry food that
>> stayed down for them until the next day's dusk feeding. However, Ozzy
>> seems to have taken too much of a liking to the dry food. Besides
>> worrying about weight gain (and Sammy could stand to lose a pound or two),
>> I have boy cats for the first time ever and I'm worried about too much dry
>> causing crystals in the urine and blockage of the urethra. Because of all
>> that I'm trying to wean them off of the dry food altogether.
>>
>> My question is how much canned food should I be feeding them when I stop
>> giving them the dry food? Jessie and Demi are both 7.5 pounds. Archer is
>> 11 pound, Ozzy is 12 pounds and Sammy is 20 pounds.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also contacting my vet
>> to get his opinion, but in the meantime I know we have some experts on
>> this group.

>OK, just talked to the vet tech and she is *WAY* off base with her advice.
>She tried to tell me that the canned food is causing the weight gain and I
>should wean them off canned and give them dry only (Purina) because it's
>better for their teeth (!!!!) and the "Indoor Only" formula will prevent
>struvite crystals in the boys!!!!

I have 4 indoor only cats (3 female and 1 bully male) and I keep 2
kinds of dry available at all times plus they get 2 cans Fancy Feast
in AM and PM and have had no problems with excessive weight or
crystals in the urine and blockage and they go yearly for checkups.
Also I give them a small can of people tuna once a month as a treat
and they get a bit of milk in the evening because the 17 year old
likes it but does not drink a lot of it. The rest do not care for it.
Before someone tells me it is bad for them read on as to what the vet
says below.

3 of them including the male are about 5 years and 1 is about 17
years. The three youngest all weight about 10 to 15 pounds and the 17
year female tortie who has always been small weighs 6.5 pounds. She
weighed 6 at 4 years. She had all the tests recommended for a cat her
age and everything came back within normal range. The vet says they
are all healthly and well cats so I will continue feeding as I am.

I feed Friskies feline favorites dry always and give then one other
dry which varies for something different. The FF canned I give them a
can of flaked and one of grilled AM and PM.

One question: If you do not think the vet knows what they are talking
about why go to them??

CatNipped[_2_]
February 8th 08, 07:18 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> > In the past I've fed my 5 cats 8 cans of Fancy Feast a day (4 at dawn
> and
>> > 4 at dusk). At their dusk feeding I've also given them dry food that
>> > stayed down for them until the next day's dusk feeding. However, Ozzy
>> > seems to have taken too much of a liking to the dry food. Besides
>> > worrying about weight gain (and Sammy could stand to lose a pound or
> two),
>> > I have boy cats for the first time ever and I'm worried about too much
> dry
>> > causing crystals in the urine and blockage of the urethra. Because of
> all
>> > that I'm trying to wean them off of the dry food altogether.
>> >
>> > My question is how much canned food should I be feeding them when I
>> > stop
>> > giving them the dry food? Jessie and Demi are both 7.5 pounds. Archer
> is
>> > 11 pound, Ozzy is 12 pounds and Sammy is 20 pounds.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also contacting my
> vet
>> > to get his opinion, but in the meantime I know we have some experts on
>> > this group.
>>
>> OK, just talked to the vet tech and she is *WAY* off base with her
>> advice.
>> She tried to tell me that the canned food is causing the weight gain and
>> should wean them off canned and give them dry only (Purina) because it's
>> better for their teeth (!!!!) and the "Indoor Only" formula will prevent
>> struvite crystals in the boys!!!!
>>
>> So..... any advice that I can actually implement?
>>

> Sounds like your vet received her education in nutrition from a Hill's
> sales
> rep.
>
> This is the feeding plan I would follow: 16 kcals/lb/day
>
> "Jessie and Demi are both 7.5 pounds" -- 120 kcals/day
>
> "Archer is 11 pound" -- 176 kcals/day
>
> "Ozzy is 12 pounds" - - 130 kcals/day
>
> "Sammy is 20 pounds" - - 320 kcals/day. (You might want to think about a
> weight loss program for him).
>
> Fancy Feast diets average about 75 - 85 kcals a 3 oz can depending on the
> line (Grilled, Flaked, Gourmet, etc). You can get the caloric content of
> the diets you're feeding by calling Fancy Feast directly. While you have
> them on the line, ask them to send you the typical analyses for the diets.
>
> Phil

I got them to send me a nutritional chart a few years ago
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/fancy_feast_values/), but it's a good idea to
ask again.

I'm assuming the ratios you gave above are for maintaining current weight,
how much less should I give Sammy for a gradual weight loss? Also, any
suggestions on how I can get her to eat separately from the rest and quit
browsing from all bowls like they currently do? I have a "problem child" in
Demi who is extremely shy and won't eat at all until everyone else if
finished, so I need to figure out how to get only one cat out of five to
lose weight - SIGH!

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
February 8th 08, 08:54 PM
"kraut" > wrote in message

>>> In the past I've fed my 5 cats 8 cans of Fancy Feast a day (4 at dawn
>>> and
>>> 4 at dusk). At their dusk feeding I've also given them dry food that
>>> stayed down for them until the next day's dusk feeding. However, Ozzy
>>> seems to have taken too much of a liking to the dry food. Besides
>>> worrying about weight gain (and Sammy could stand to lose a pound or
>>> two),
>>> I have boy cats for the first time ever and I'm worried about too much
>>> dry
>>> causing crystals in the urine and blockage of the urethra. Because of
>>> all
>>> that I'm trying to wean them off of the dry food altogether.
>>>
>>> My question is how much canned food should I be feeding them when I stop
>>> giving them the dry food? Jessie and Demi are both 7.5 pounds. Archer
>>> is
>>> 11 pound, Ozzy is 12 pounds and Sammy is 20 pounds.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also contacting my
>>> vet
>>> to get his opinion, but in the meantime I know we have some experts on
>>> this group.
>

>>OK, just talked to the vet tech and she is *WAY* off base with her advice.
>>She tried to tell me that the canned food is causing the weight gain and I
>>should wean them off canned and give them dry only (Purina) because it's
>>better for their teeth (!!!!) and the "Indoor Only" formula will prevent
>>struvite crystals in the boys!!!!
>
> I have 4 indoor only cats (3 female and 1 bully male) and I keep 2
> kinds of dry available at all times plus they get 2 cans Fancy Feast
> in AM and PM and have had no problems with excessive weight or
> crystals in the urine and blockage and they go yearly for checkups.
> Also I give them a small can of people tuna once a month as a treat
> and they get a bit of milk in the evening because the 17 year old
> likes it but does not drink a lot of it. The rest do not care for it.
> Before someone tells me it is bad for them read on as to what the vet
> says below.
>
> 3 of them including the male are about 5 years and 1 is about 17
> years. The three youngest all weight about 10 to 15 pounds and the 17

From what I've heard, for males, the crystals can develop suddenly and 5yo
is still rather young. Since a cat's natural prey is ~70% water I think
it's best to give them food that is also 70% water (as opposed to 10% water
as is even the best dry food).

> year female tortie who has always been small weighs 6.5 pounds. She
> weighed 6 at 4 years. She had all the tests recommended for a cat her
> age and everything came back within normal range. The vet says they
> are all healthly and well cats so I will continue feeding as I am.

Some cats are just naturally prone to overweight even eating the same diet.
Sammy is a rescue as is all my cats, but I would bet that she's 99.99999%
Maine Coon since she has all of their other characteristics. Maine Coons,
because they were bred for a severely cold climate, tend to carry more body
weight than other cats. Of course, since we live in Houston and since she
never goes outside anyway, this is not needed and she really should lose a
bit of weight.

> I feed Friskies feline favorites dry always and give then one other
> dry which varies for something different. The FF canned I give them a
> can of flaked and one of grilled AM and PM.
>
> One question: If you do not think the vet knows what they are talking
> about why go to them??

In every other matter he has been very knowledgeable, and I didn't talk to
him I talked to the vet tech (granted, she's probably giving the advice the
female vet would (Dr. French is an "associate" out of her office)). Dr.
French is the vet who came to our house last year to administer the
euthanasia to our 17-year-old who was dying of a brain tumor and had gone
downhill fast. He's very kind and, as I mentioned, has always been great in
other areas, so I trust him for everything else.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Buddy's Mom
February 8th 08, 11:40 PM
I have a 6 year old male and he weighs 11 pounds - give or take a few
ounces. He gets two cans of fancy feast a day - period! I was
sprinkling a little dry food on top until he got a bladder infection
last summer - with blood - and the vet told me to take him off of ALL
dry food. He maintains his weight very well with the two cans a day
and isn't overweight for his frame.

I have said before, that my last cat was 20 years and 3 months when we
put him to sleep because of loss of his rear legs and sever
hyperthyroidism for a number of years. But he ate nothing but fancy
feast and 20 years is a good life for a cat. He never had any
bladder problems either.

Having more than one kitty is always a problem when it comes to weight
loss for one of them. I think the only way is to feed the hefty once
alone and take up the food that the others leave before letting him
out again.
Sharon

On Feb 8, 2:54�pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:

> [...]
> bit of weight.
>

> > I feed Friskies feline favorites dry always and give then one other
> > dry which varies for something different. �The FF canned I give them a
> > can of flaked and one of grilled AM and PM.
>
> > One question: �If you do not think the vet knows what they are talking
> > about why go to them??
>
> In every other matter he has been very knowledgeable, and I didn't talk to
> him I talked to the vet tech (granted, she's probably giving the advice the
> female vet would (Dr. French is an "associate" out of her office)). �Dr.
> French is the vet who came to our house last year to administer the
> euthanasia to our 17-year-old who was dying of a brain tumor and had gone
> downhill fast. �He's very kind and, as I mentioned, has always been great in
> other areas, so I trust him for everything else.

---MIKE---
February 9th 08, 12:05 AM
CatNipped wrote:

>>Sammy is a rescue as is all my cats,
>> but I would bet that she's 99.99999%
>> Maine Coon since she has all of their
>> other characteristics. Maine Coons,
>> because they were bred for a severely
>> cold climate, tend to carry more body
>> weight than other cats. Of course,
>> since we live in Houston and since she
>> never goes outside anyway, this is not
>> needed and she really should lose a bit
>> of weight.

Tiger appears to be a Maine Coon. He weighs 23 pounds and looks fat. A
year and a half ago he had a lion cut to remove a lot of mats. I then
saw that he wasn't fat at all. Maybe Sammy isn't really fat.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Claude V. Lucas
February 9th 08, 12:27 AM
In article >,
---MIKE--- > wrote:
>CatNipped wrote:
>
>>>Sammy is a rescue as is all my cats,
>>> but I would bet that she's 99.99999%
>>> Maine Coon since she has all of their
>>> other characteristics. Maine Coons,
>>> because they were bred for a severely
>>> cold climate, tend to carry more body
>>> weight than other cats. Of course,
>>> since we live in Houston and since she
>>> never goes outside anyway, this is not
>>> needed and she really should lose a bit
>>> of weight.
>
>Tiger appears to be a Maine Coon. He weighs 23 pounds and looks fat. A
>year and a half ago he had a lion cut to remove a lot of mats. I then
>saw that he wasn't fat at all. Maybe Sammy isn't really fat.

If Sammy is anything at all like Bubba, then anything edible
within reach is gonna get eaten, sooner rather than later.

The only way I've been able to keep him in the 25Lb range
is to restrict the available food. He looks fat, too, but
most of it except for a belly flap is either hair or pretty
solid and I can feel his backbone and ribs without digging in.

Good luck keeping Sammy out of the other cat's food. Bubba
is an only cat, so I can dole out an appropriate amount of
cat food for him, but whenever I eat anything he's sitting
on my feet playing out a sad drama of feline starvation.

He's the only cat I've ever seen eat a mushroom. They're
probably not the best for him so I only gave him a small
piece once to see if he would eat it or spit it out. I
don't think anything stays in his mouth long enough for
him to taste it. Among other things, he actually seems
to *like* watermelon...

Buddy's Mom
February 9th 08, 02:28 AM
Well, I did not want to admit that Buddy is also a Maine Coon - and he
weighs ONLY 11 pounds - the vet says that is enough for his frame.
Maine Coons will eat ANY thing!!! And they gain weight more easily
than other cats - my opinion. But, he is an only cat and only gets 2
cans of Fancy Feast a day and water. So........... We have NEVER
given him people food and he is NOT interested in it at all.
Sharon

On Feb 8, 6:27�pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>

> ---MIKE--- > wrote:

> >Tiger appears to be a Maine Coon. �He weighs 23 pounds and looks fat. �A
> >year and a half ago he had a lion cut to remove a lot of mats. �I then
> >saw that he wasn't fat at all. �Maybe Sammy isn't really fat.
>
> If Sammy is anything at all like Bubba, then anything edible
> within reach is gonna get eaten, sooner rather than later.
>
> The only way I've been able to keep him in the 25Lb range
> is to restrict the available food. He looks fat, too, but
> most of it except for a belly flap is either hair or pretty
> solid and I can feel his backbone and ribs without digging in.
>
> Good luck keeping Sammy out of the other cat's food. Bubba
> is an only cat, so I can dole out an appropriate amount of
> cat food for him, but whenever I eat anything he's sitting
> on my feet playing out a sad drama of feline starvation.
>
> He's the only cat I've ever seen eat a mushroom. They're
> probably not the best for him so I only gave him a small
> piece once to see if he would eat it or spit it out. I
> don't think anything stays in his mouth long enough for
> him to taste it. Among other things, he actually seems
> to *like* watermelon...- Hide quoted text -

Claude V. Lucas
February 9th 08, 02:35 AM
In article >,
Buddy's Mom > wrote:
>Well, I did not want to admit that Buddy is also a Maine Coon - and he
>weighs ONLY 11 pounds - the vet says that is enough for his frame.
>Maine Coons will eat ANY thing!!! And they gain weight more easily
>than other cats - my opinion. But, he is an only cat and only gets 2
>cans of Fancy Feast a day and water. So........... We have NEVER
>given him people food and he is NOT interested in it at all.
>Sharon

How old is he?

Bubba's at least 5 and he's still getting bigger even on short rations.

>On Feb 8, 6:27�pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article >,
>>

>> ---MIKE--- > wrote:

>> >Tiger appears to be a Maine Coon. �He weighs 23 pounds and looks fat. �A
>> >year and a half ago he had a lion cut to remove a lot of mats. �I then
>> >saw that he wasn't fat at all. �Maybe Sammy isn't really fat.
>>
>> If Sammy is anything at all like Bubba, then anything edible
>> within reach is gonna get eaten, sooner rather than later.
>>
>> The only way I've been able to keep him in the 25Lb range
>> is to restrict the available food. He looks fat, too, but
>> most of it except for a belly flap is either hair or pretty
>> solid and I can feel his backbone and ribs without digging in.
>>
>> Good luck keeping Sammy out of the other cat's food. Bubba
>> is an only cat, so I can dole out an appropriate amount of
>> cat food for him, but whenever I eat anything he's sitting
>> on my feet playing out a sad drama of feline starvation.
>>
>> He's the only cat I've ever seen eat a mushroom. They're
>> probably not the best for him so I only gave him a small
>> piece once to see if he would eat it or spit it out. I
>> don't think anything stays in his mouth long enough for
>> him to taste it. Among other things, he actually seems
>> to *like* watermelon...- Hide quoted text -

Petzl
February 9th 08, 04:12 AM
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:24:40 -0600, "CatNipped"
> wrote:

>OK, just talked to the vet tech and she is *WAY* off base with her advice.
>She tried to tell me that the canned food is causing the weight gain and I
>should wean them off canned and give them dry only (Purina) because it's
>better for their teeth (!!!!) and the "Indoor Only" formula will prevent
>struvite crystals in the boys!!!!
>
>So..... any advice that I can actually implement?

I ao not see any problems with quality dry food?

Ones cats normaily train you as to what type they want and when to
change

Secret in weight control is plenty of water be made available

When serving wet food. Serve on/in a plate not a bowl (plastic
disposable party plates are the go, they are washable and reusable)

Cats do not like whiskers touching side of bowls.

When on a plate pour say cup of water around wet food serving (do
not mix) This water will "fool" cat into being full on smaller
portions

Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
<http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>

Buddy's Mom
February 9th 08, 12:10 PM
He will be 6 April 1.
Sharon

On Feb 8, 8:35*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Buddy's Mom > wrote:
> >Well, I did not want to admit that Buddy is also a Maine Coon - and he
> >weighs ONLY 11 pounds - the vet says that is enough for his frame.
> >Maine Coons will eat ANY thing!!! *And they gain weight more easily
> >than other cats - my opinion. *But, he is an only cat and only gets 2
> >cans of Fancy Feast a day and water. *So........... *We have NEVER
> >given him people food and he is NOT interested in it at all.
> >Sharon
>
> How old is he?
>
> Bubba's at least 5 and he's still getting bigger even on short rations.
>

> >On Feb 8, 6:27�pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:

> >> If Sammy is anything at all like Bubba, then anything edible
> >> within reach is gonna get eaten, sooner rather than later.
>
> >> The only way I've been able to keep him in the 25Lb range
> >> is to restrict the available food. He looks fat, too, but
> >> most of it except for a belly flap is either hair or pretty
> >> solid and I can feel his backbone and ribs without digging in.
>
> >> Good luck keeping Sammy out of the other cat's food. Bubba
> >> is an only cat, so I can dole out an appropriate amount of
> >> cat food for him, but whenever I eat anything he's sitting
> >> on my feet playing out a sad drama of feline starvation.
>
> >> He's the only cat I've ever seen eat a mushroom. They're
> >> probably not the best for him so I only gave him a small
> >> piece once to see if he would eat it or spit it out. I
> >> don't think anything stays in his mouth long enough for
> >> him to taste it. Among other things, he actually seems
> >> to *like* watermelon...- Hide quoted text -

Claude V. Lucas
February 9th 08, 05:09 PM
In article >,
Buddy's Mom > wrote:
>He will be 6 April 1.
>Sharon

He must be a runt... :^)

Seriously, good luck keeping his weight under control.

I just fed Bubba his morning allocation of Royal Canin MC kibble,
he gobbled it all and is playing the "poor starving kitty" act
again already. 10 minutes later. What a clown.

>On Feb 8, 8:35*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> Buddy's Mom > wrote:
>> >Well, I did not want to admit that Buddy is also a Maine Coon - and he
>> >weighs ONLY 11 pounds - the vet says that is enough for his frame.
>> >Maine Coons will eat ANY thing!!! *And they gain weight more easily
>> >than other cats - my opinion. *But, he is an only cat and only gets 2
>> >cans of Fancy Feast a day and water. *So........... *We have NEVER
>> >given him people food and he is NOT interested in it at all.
>> >Sharon
>>
>> How old is he?
>>
>> Bubba's at least 5 and he's still getting bigger even on short rations.

Rene S.
February 11th 08, 05:18 PM
> OK, just talked to the vet tech and she is *WAY* off base with her advice.
> She tried to tell me that the canned food is causing the weight gain and I
> should wean them off canned and give them dry only (Purina) because it's
> better for their teeth (!!!!) and the "Indoor Only" formula will prevent
> struvite crystals in the boys!!!!

IGNORE the vet tech's advice. I had a vet that told me that canned
food was "bad" for cats (I had previously fed only dry before this). I
switched to Wellness grain-free canned and slowly, the weight came
off. See my web site: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

CatNipped[_2_]
February 11th 08, 10:19 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> ---MIKE--- > wrote:

>>Tiger appears to be a Maine Coon. He weighs 23 pounds and looks fat. A
>>year and a half ago he had a lion cut to remove a lot of mats. I then
>>saw that he wasn't fat at all. Maybe Sammy isn't really fat.
>>

> If Sammy is anything at all like Bubba, then anything edible
> within reach is gonna get eaten, sooner rather than later.
>
> The only way I've been able to keep him in the 25Lb range
> is to restrict the available food. He looks fat, too, but
> most of it except for a belly flap is either hair or pretty
> solid and I can feel his backbone and ribs without digging in.
>
> Good luck keeping Sammy out of the other cat's food. Bubba
> is an only cat, so I can dole out an appropriate amount of
> cat food for him, but whenever I eat anything he's sitting
> on my feet playing out a sad drama of feline starvation.
>
> He's the only cat I've ever seen eat a mushroom. They're
> probably not the best for him so I only gave him a small
> piece once to see if he would eat it or spit it out. I
> don't think anything stays in his mouth long enough for
> him to taste it. Among other things, he actually seems
> to *like* watermelon...

I just don't see how I can feed her separately. The problem is that my cats
still tend to "browse" all day rather than eating as soon as I put the food
down (although 4 of them do eat the majority of the food within the first
few minutes). I have one really shy cat, Demi, who is very thin and I'm
afraid if I pick the food up she'll miss out on her chance to eat (she only
comes out of hiding when the other cats have finished).

Anyway, Sammy doesn't eat all the food as soon as it's down, she doesn't
seem to be "piggy" in her consumption either. I'm thinking she just has the
body characteristics of a Maine Coon who tend to hold on to a bit of body
fat to combat the killer winters in the north east and I'm hoping that the
removal of any dry at all from her diet will help her lose the little bit
she needs to lose..

Hugs,

CatNipped

-Lost
February 12th 08, 06:52 PM
Response to "CatNipped" >:

<snip>
> I just don't see how I can feed her separately. The problem is
> that my cats still tend to "browse" all day rather than eating as
> soon as I put the food down (although 4 of them do eat the
> majority of the food within the first few minutes). I have one
> really shy cat, Demi, who is very thin and I'm afraid if I pick
> the food up she'll miss out on her chance to eat (she only comes
> out of hiding when the other cats have finished).

Perhaps she could get her very own servings delivered to her hiding
spot?

I seem to remember seeing a large open cage-kennel on your site --
could she perhaps get a blanket or beach towel draped over something
like that and be allowed to hang out with her own personal bowl of
yummies for an hour or so?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
February 12th 08, 08:41 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "CatNipped" >:
>
> <snip>
>> I just don't see how I can feed her separately. The problem is
>> that my cats still tend to "browse" all day rather than eating as
>> soon as I put the food down (although 4 of them do eat the
>> majority of the food within the first few minutes). I have one
>> really shy cat, Demi, who is very thin and I'm afraid if I pick
>> the food up she'll miss out on her chance to eat (she only comes
>> out of hiding when the other cats have finished).
>
> Perhaps she could get her very own servings delivered to her hiding
> spot?
>
> I seem to remember seeing a large open cage-kennel on your site --
> could she perhaps get a blanket or beach towel draped over something
> like that and be allowed to hang out with her own personal bowl of
> yummies for an hour or so?
>
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

I was thinking about bringing her food into her bedroom and shutting the
door for a while - that would work in the evenings, but I don't have time to
do that in the morning before work. Anyway, even just doing it in the
evening will insure she eats something at least.

Hugs,

CatNipped

-Lost
February 13th 08, 10:21 AM
Response to "CatNipped" >:

<snip>
> I was thinking about bringing her food into her bedroom and
> shutting the door for a while - that would work in the evenings,
> but I don't have time to do that in the morning before work.
> Anyway, even just doing it in the evening will insure she eats
> something at least.

I'm not intimately familiar with feline metabolism, but I'd keep an
eye out for signs of weight gain (beyond what you see as fit).

The first thing I had to learn for focusing on my dietary habits and
wellness was that you should eat numerous smaller meals rather than
one large meal a day...

....then again, lions eat an entire buffalo in one or two nights and
then don't eat again for several days sometimes.

*shrugs* Good luck with Lil' Shy Girl.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Phil P.
February 13th 08, 10:54 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> I'm assuming the ratios you gave above are for maintaining current weight,
> how much less should I give Sammy for a gradual weight loss?

Start by reducing his daily caloric intake by about 20%. He shouldn't lose
more than 1 pound in 4-6 weeks. Do you have a good pediatric scale? If
not, you might want to get a Tanita 1583- its the best investment you can
make in your cats' health. Here's what it looks like:
http://maxshouse.com/album/Titi-on-scale.jpg Its very hard to notice
slight weight losses (or gains) in cats you see everyday- especially if
they're long-haired cats. So a good scale is essential.

Just toss a treak on the scale and the cat should jump right on. You can
make the base bigger if you need to; the scale has a zero/tare function and
lock in weight. The basket is a pain-- I took it off.

You can find it online a lot cheaper- I just did a quick search.

http://www.thecompetitiveedge.com/shop/item/123-productId.184549528_123-catId.176160811.html

Also, any
> suggestions on how I can get her to eat separately from the rest and quit
> browsing from all bowls like they currently do? I have a "problem child"
in
> Demi who is extremely shy and won't eat at all until everyone else if
> finished, so I need to figure out how to get only one cat out of five to
> lose weight - SIGH!

The simplest way is to feed them separately- or put their bowls in different
locations. Or you can try to find different foods that only each cat likes.
Believe me- that's a hell of a lot easier said than done! My house looks
like a smorgasbord a feeding time!

Phil

Rene S.
February 13th 08, 03:10 PM
> The first thing I had to learn for focusing on my dietary habits and
> wellness was that you should eat numerous smaller meals rather than
> one large meal a day...
>
> ...then again, lions eat an entire buffalo in one or two nights and
> then don't eat again for several days sometimes.

In the wild, cats may eat a couple of times a day, once per day, or
not at all, depending on what they can find to eat. Feeding twice per
day, about 12 hours apart, is similar to how they would eat in the
wild. You CAN convert your cats to eating their entire meal in one
sitting. Mine used to be dry food grazers but now eat on this
schedule, finishing their meal within 10 minutes. In the morning, I
separate them while I'm getting ready for work. In the evening, I
usually feed them while I'm preparing supper, so I can supervise
instead of separating. It works great and everyone gets the proper
amount of food (no one can "steal" from the other's bowl).

CatNipped[_2_]
February 13th 08, 10:23 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>> I'm assuming the ratios you gave above are for maintaining current
>> weight,
>> how much less should I give Sammy for a gradual weight loss?
>
> Start by reducing his daily caloric intake by about 20%. He shouldn't lose
> more than 1 pound in 4-6 weeks.

Wow, that seems like a huge reduction in calories, but I'll watch her weight
and give it a try. I've cut the dry food down to half a cup for all 5 in
the evenings and I've upped their canned food to 5 cans morning and 5 cans
evening. I'm hoping to cut out the dry altogether shortly, but I'm really,
really afraid of cutting back their food too much (although they certainly
don't act like they're starving yet, I worry about the boys getting enough
nutrition since they're only 8 months old). I'm hoping that just this will
start Sammy losing weight without any of the others losing weight (cutting
all the carbs might do it all by itself - we'll see).

> Do you have a good pediatric scale? If
> not, you might want to get a Tanita 1583- its the best investment you can
> make in your cats' health. Here's what it looks like:
> http://maxshouse.com/album/Titi-on-scale.jpg Its very hard to notice
> slight weight losses (or gains) in cats you see everyday- especially if
> they're long-haired cats. So a good scale is essential.

I just bought one from Amazon last week and I'm waiting for it to arrive in
the mail - I don't remember which brand I biought (I'm at work and don't
have the receipt), but it has all the features I was looking for.

> Just toss a treak on the scale and the cat should jump right on. You can
> make the base bigger if you need to; the scale has a zero/tare function
> and
> lock in weight. The basket is a pain-- I took it off.
>
> You can find it online a lot cheaper- I just did a quick search.
>
> http://www.thecompetitiveedge.com/shop/item/123-productId.184549528_123-catId.176160811.html
>

> Also, any
>> suggestions on how I can get her to eat separately from the rest and quit
>> browsing from all bowls like they currently do? I have a "problem child"
> in
>> Demi who is extremely shy and won't eat at all until everyone else if
>> finished, so I need to figure out how to get only one cat out of five to
>> lose weight - SIGH!
>
> The simplest way is to feed them separately- or put their bowls in
> different
> locations. Or you can try to find different foods that only each cat
> likes.
> Believe me- that's a hell of a lot easier said than done! My house looks
> like a smorgasbord a feeding time!

Darn, I *just* moved Sammy's dish upstairs (she used to eat with my
Bandit(RB) downstairs because towards the end Bandit couldn't make it up the
stairs and Sammy just got used to eating down there). She just got used to
eating upstairs with the rest of the clowder - I was looking to uncomplicate
my life, but now I may have to rethink that.

Thanks for all the help Phil - you're a treasured resource for me! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Phil

Phil P.
February 14th 08, 05:46 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> >> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >> I'm assuming the ratios you gave above are for maintaining current
> >> weight,
> >> how much less should I give Sammy for a gradual weight loss?
> >
> > Start by reducing his daily caloric intake by about 20%. He shouldn't
lose
> > more than 1 pound in 4-6 weeks.
>
> Wow, that seems like a huge reduction in calories, but I'll watch her
weight
> and give it a try.

20% is only a starting point- it could be more of a reduction or it could be
less- although I doubt it will be less. The difference in caloric intake
for weight loss or maintenance in cats can vary as much as *50%* from cat to
cat- so there's really no set amount. The scale will help you monitor slight
weight changes in either direction so you'll know if you're on the right
tract.

I don't know if she's just a big cat or if she's obese. If she just needs
to lose a couple or 3#, a 20% reduction in caloric intake should work. But
if she's obese she *must* lose the extra weight in 15% *steps*. IOW, if her
current weight is 20#, set her first target weight at 17# and base her daily
caloric intake on the energy requirements for a 17# cat. When she reaches
the target weight of 17#, set the next target at 14 1/2# and base her
intake on the energy requirements for a 14 1/2# cat.

If she's obese and you try to reach her ideal body weight with just a 20%
cut, she'll plateau and won't lose any more.

I've cut the dry food down to half a cup for all 5 in
> the evenings and I've upped their canned food to 5 cans morning and 5 cans
> evening.

You're going to have to figure out how to feed her so she can't get at the
other cats' food. If she's too heavy to jump, feed the other cats on the
counter or table.

Gotta run,

Phil

CatNipped[_2_]
February 14th 08, 07:28 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

>> > Start by reducing his daily caloric intake by about 20%. He shouldn't
> lose
>> > more than 1 pound in 4-6 weeks.
>>
>> Wow, that seems like a huge reduction in calories, but I'll watch her
> weight
>> and give it a try.
>
> 20% is only a starting point- it could be more of a reduction or it could
> be
> less- although I doubt it will be less. The difference in caloric intake
> for weight loss or maintenance in cats can vary as much as *50%* from cat
> cat- so there's really no set amount. The scale will help you monitor
> slight
> weight changes in either direction so you'll know if you're on the right
> tract.

Yeah, the scale arrived last night (a very nice one that measures to the
half ounce and you can set "memory" and "tare" - it got 4.5 stars out of 5
on Amazon). For the first few weeks I figured I'd weigh them every 2 or 3
days and then when their weight stabilizes just continue to weigh them once
a week. I know I'm probably being paranoid, but I would be horrified if I
thought I was starving my babies!

> I don't know if she's just a big cat or if she's obese.

She's a VERY large cat (it takes both hands to encircle her neck and the top
of her head fills the palm of my hand) - here's some pictures of her with
Jessie who is almost 8 pounds (as of last night - she too has put on a bit
of weight lately): http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie17/ (and
Sammy's grown quite a bit since then). The vet told me she needs to lose
about 1 or 2 pounds - I can still feel her ribs, but, admittedly, I have to
"dig" a bit to do so! ;>

> If she just needs
> to lose a couple or 3#, a 20% reduction in caloric intake should work.
> But
> if she's obese she *must* lose the extra weight in 15% *steps*. IOW, if
> her
> current weight is 20#, set her first target weight at 17# and base her
> daily
> caloric intake on the energy requirements for a 17# cat. When she reaches
> the target weight of 17#, set the next target at 14 1/2# and base her
> intake on the energy requirements for a 14 1/2# cat.
>
> If she's obese and you try to reach her ideal body weight with just a 20%
> cut, she'll plateau and won't lose any more.

OK, that makes sense. She's only going on four years old and not obese, so
I don't think she's in danger of diabetes or hepatic lipadosis yet, so I'm
going to take this weight loss slowly. I think that would be best for the
long run (just like they tell people to lose weight slowly so it will stay
off rather than go on a fad diet and then gain it all back).

> I've cut the dry food down to half a cup for all 5 in
>> the evenings and I've upped their canned food to 5 cans morning and 5
>> cans
>> evening.
>
> You're going to have to figure out how to feed her so she can't get at the
> other cats' food. If she's too heavy to jump, feed the other cats on the
> counter or table.

No, she can still jump up on my kitchen counters (and she can stand on her
hind feet and look over them - she's that big), and she runs around the
house chasing and being chased by the kittens (they were the best exercise
program I could have put her on! ;>). And she doesn't gobble down
everybody's food, she only eats a bit and leaves quite a bit in her bowl for
later. The boys actually eat more than she does - but they're growing boys.
As I said, I'm hoping that just cutting down the carbs in her diet will help
her lose that pound or two that she needs to. And, of course, what really
started this new diet was to avoid the boys having problems with struvite
stones since this is the first time I've had male cats (weird, I don't know
why I've always been adopted by female cats my whole life!) - her losing the
weight will be an extra bonus.

Thanks for your help Phil, I know you're busy with your colonies and helping
others here and in other groups, so I really appreciate the time you've
taken to help me out.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Gotta run,
>
> Phil

Phil P.
February 15th 08, 07:11 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> Yeah, the scale arrived last night (a very nice one that measures to the
> half ounce and you can set "memory" and "tare" - it got 4.5 stars out of 5
> on Amazon).

Which brand and model?

For the first few weeks I figured I'd weigh them every 2 or 3
> days and then when their weight stabilizes just continue to weigh them
once
> a week. I know I'm probably being paranoid, but I would be horrified if I
> thought I was starving my babies!

Just remember to weigh them at the same time of the day whenever you weigh
them. IOW, if you weigh them at 8:00 pm, weight them at 8:00 pm when you
weigh them on other days. Weight can vary throughout the day.

> > I don't know if she's just a big cat or if she's obese.
>
> She's a VERY large cat (it takes both hands to encircle her neck and the
top
> of her head fills the palm of my hand) - here's some pictures of her with
> Jessie who is almost 8 pounds (as of last night - she too has put on a bit
> of weight lately): http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie17/ (and
> Sammy's grown quite a bit since then). The vet told me she needs to lose
> about 1 or 2 pounds - I can still feel her ribs, but, admittedly, I have
> "dig" a bit to do so! ;>

She doesn't look obese. Determine her ideal weigh and feed the appropriate
kcals for that weight. She should come down to her ideal weight and plateau
there.

> > If she just needs
> > to lose a couple or 3#, a 20% reduction in caloric intake should work.
> > But
> > if she's obese she *must* lose the extra weight in 15% *steps*. IOW, if
> > her
> > current weight is 20#, set her first target weight at 17# and base her
> > daily
> > caloric intake on the energy requirements for a 17# cat. When she
reaches
> > the target weight of 17#, set the next target at 14 1/2# and base her
> > intake on the energy requirements for a 14 1/2# cat.
> >
> > If she's obese and you try to reach her ideal body weight with just a
20%
> > cut, she'll plateau and won't lose any more.
>
> OK, that makes sense. She's only going on four years old and not obese,
so
> I don't think she's in danger of diabetes or hepatic lipadosis yet, so I'm
> going to take this weight loss slowly. I think that would be best for the
> long run (just like they tell people to lose weight slowly so it will stay
> off rather than go on a fad diet and then gain it all back).
>

> > I've cut the dry food down to half a cup for all 5 in
> >> the evenings and I've upped their canned food to 5 cans morning and 5
> >> cans
> >> evening.
> >
> > You're going to have to figure out how to feed her so she can't get at
the
> > other cats' food. If she's too heavy to jump, feed the other cats on
the
> > counter or table.
>
> No, she can still jump up on my kitchen counters (and she can stand on her
> hind feet and look over them - she's that big), and she runs around the
> house chasing and being chased by the kittens (they were the best exercise
> program I could have put her on! ;>). And she doesn't gobble down
> everybody's food, she only eats a bit and leaves quite a bit in her bowl
for
> later. The boys actually eat more than she does - but they're growing
boys.
> As I said, I'm hoping that just cutting down the carbs in her diet will
help
> her lose that pound or two that she needs to. And, of course, what really
> started this new diet was to avoid the boys having problems with struvite
> stones since this is the first time I've had male cats (weird, I don't
know
> why I've always been adopted by female cats my whole life!) - her losing
the
> weight will be an extra bonus.
>
> Thanks for your help Phil, I know you're busy with your colonies and
helping
> others here and in other groups, so I really appreciate the time you've
> taken to help me out.

I got a little ahead of our vets for neuter slots- I can't get any cats in
for a few days and our holding spaces are maxed out. So, I gotta take break
for a few days until they catch up. I can sure use it! This kitten season
is going to be the worst I've ever seen- I'm already finding 3-8 wk old
kittens and pregnant females in their third trimester- and this is only
early Feb..

Phil

CatNipped[_2_]
February 15th 08, 08:03 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>

>> Yeah, the scale arrived last night (a very nice one that measures to the
>> half ounce and you can set "memory" and "tare" - it got 4.5 stars out of
>> 5
>> on Amazon).
>
> Which brand and model?

The Redmon 7462 Digital Baby Scale - this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Redmon-Weigh-Grow-Scale-7462/dp/B000S5WFL4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1203101480&sr=8-2
(or http://tinyurl.com/2voxmc). I like it because it has a very large
weighing surface (23" x 14") and because of the design is completely stable
(it's only 2" high so the cats don't feel nervous sitting on it - in fact I
keep it on a table so I can weigh them on the same surface and they'll jump
up there and sit on it on their own).

> For the first few weeks I figured I'd weigh them every 2 or 3
>> days and then when their weight stabilizes just continue to weigh them
> once
>> a week. I know I'm probably being paranoid, but I would be horrified if
>> thought I was starving my babies!
>

> Just remember to weigh them at the same time of the day whenever you weigh
> them. IOW, if you weigh them at 8:00 pm, weight them at 8:00 pm when you
> weigh them on other days. Weight can vary throughout the day.

Yep, just like people (especially us women who tend to gain water weight
during the day)!

>> > I don't know if she's just a big cat or if she's obese.
>>
>> She's a VERY large cat (it takes both hands to encircle her neck and the
> top
>> of her head fills the palm of my hand) - here's some pictures of her with
>> Jessie who is almost 8 pounds (as of last night - she too has put on a
>> bit
>> of weight lately): http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie17/
>> (and
>> Sammy's grown quite a bit since then). The vet told me she needs to lose
>> about 1 or 2 pounds - I can still feel her ribs, but, admittedly, I have
>> "dig" a bit to do so! ;>
>
> She doesn't look obese. Determine her ideal weigh and feed the appropriate
> kcals for that weight. She should come down to her ideal weight and
> plateau
> there.

Yep, that's what I'm doing based on your previous advice. I'll let you know
in a couple of weeks how it's going.

> [...]
>> stones since this is the first time I've had male cats (weird, I don't
> know
>> why I've always been adopted by female cats my whole life!) - her losing
> the
>> weight will be an extra bonus.
>>
>> Thanks for your help Phil, I know you're busy with your colonies and
> helping
>> others here and in other groups, so I really appreciate the time you've
>> taken to help me out.
>

> I got a little ahead of our vets for neuter slots- I can't get any cats in
> for a few days and our holding spaces are maxed out. So, I gotta take
> break
> for a few days until they catch up. I can sure use it! This kitten season
> is going to be the worst I've ever seen- I'm already finding 3-8 wk old
> kittens and pregnant females in their third trimester- and this is only

I can only imagine how you feel - I've TNR'd a few of the strays in my
neighborhood (we have a really good S.N.A.P. clinic here who will work with
semi-ferals), but that's nothing compared to the amount you handle. All I
can say is bless you for taking on that kind of responsibility.

Hugs,

CatNipped