PDA

View Full Version : kidney disease crf and overweight cat question

eden
February 10th 08, 06:10 PM
Hi. My recently diagnosed cat is overweight by a long way (steriods
for skin probs blew him up!) and is a total glutton except when it
comes to renal food - which he detests. Should I be trying really
hard to get him to lose weight i.e. if he doesnt want the renal food
not to give in and give 'proper' food - or should I just be thankful
he's got a good appetite and not worry? Not sure which is the lesser
of 2 evils at the moment.

Gail[_2_]
February 10th 08, 07:05 PM
If he will not eat the renal food, ask the vet which of the regular foods
would be best for a cat with renal failure. I know dry food is not good
either for obesity or renal failure.
Gail
"eden" > wrote in message
> Hi. My recently diagnosed cat is overweight by a long way (steriods
> for skin probs blew him up!) and is a total glutton except when it
> comes to renal food - which he detests. Should I be trying really
> hard to get him to lose weight i.e. if he doesnt want the renal food
> not to give in and give 'proper' food - or should I just be thankful
> he's got a good appetite and not worry? Not sure which is the lesser
> of 2 evils at the moment.

eden
February 10th 08, 09:57 PM
Have tried the Hills Science Diet Senior - was totaly rejected again.
Unfortunately dont have NaturalLife in the UK (unless osmeone can tell
me different?). I'm struggling to find food in the UK that is
suitable....

Phil P.
February 11th 08, 06:04 AM
"eden" > wrote in message
> Hi. My recently diagnosed cat is overweight by a long way (steriods
> for skin probs blew him up!) and is a total glutton except when it
> comes to renal food - which he detests. Should I be trying really
> hard to get him to lose weight i.e. if he doesnt want the renal food
> not to give in and give 'proper' food - or should I just be thankful
> he's got a good appetite and not worry? Not sure which is the lesser
> of 2 evils at the moment.

The most important thing for the cat is that he *eats*. It doesn't matter
how perfectly formulated a renal diet is if the cat won't eat it and dies of
hepatic lipidosis.

Restricted protein diets for CRF cats is being questioned by an increasing
number of vets. Protein shouldn't be restricted until the BUN reaches 60-80
mg/dl.

What you really want is a non-acidified normal protein diet that's low in
phosphorus and high in potassium and omega-3 fatty acids. I've seen
dramatic turnarounds in CRF cats after switching to canned Hill's
Prescription x/d with Chicken and supplementing with potassium and omega-3s.

Phil