PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted- vomiting cat

February 11th 08, 05:50 PM
Hello,

This is my first time posting here. We have 3 cats, one is 12, one is
7, and one is 2. I am writing about the 2 year old. Her name is
Aster and she's mixed but looks like a Blue Russian. She is thin to
me (7-8 lbs) but is very small-framed too.

Anyway, since she was a kitten, she often vomits after she eats. It
seems to come in spurts, like she's fine for 2 weeks, then pukes every
day for a week, then not for a month, etc. When she was about 6
months old she was tested for feiline aids & leukemia, and some other
stuff, worms, etc. Nothing came up. The problem persisted, and 6
months later we went back to the vet, and again, clean bill of
health. The vet said she probably just has a weak stomach. We've
tried many different foods, and she absolutely refuses to eat wet food
of any type. The one that she seems to do the best with, though I
know it's not the best for them, is Deli Cat.

I mean, we've just gotten to live with it, she has no other signs of
being ill, has tons of energy, and never has a lack of appetite. We
have done better by making sure she always has food available. She
really eats a lot, and if she runs out and has to beg, then she really
gulps down fast and almost guaranteed will vomit. The other cats
NEVER are allowed in the room where her food is, so that isn't an
issue. I should mention she hasn't been spayed, because the vets are
afraid of her low weight it could be more risky putting her under.

Just figured I'd throw this out if anybody else has a cat that just
has a 'bad stomach'? I have acid reflux. Can cats have a similar
condition? Are there antacids or something for a cat? It isn't
hairballs either, she has short hair, and never any hair in the vomit.

Any thoughts? Much thanks in advance!!!

Tom & Aster

Buddy's Mom
February 11th 08, 10:01 PM
She could have a hairball - and that is why this happens about once a
month. She might be throwing up the food and not getting the hairball
out.

She also may be eating too much too fast. I would try feeding more
often with less quantity and give her some Temptations for hairballs.
Sharon

On Feb 11, 12:50�pm, wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first time posting here. �We have 3 cats, one is 12, one is
> 7, and one is 2. �I am writing about the 2 year old. �Her name is
> Aster and she's mixed but looks like a Blue Russian. �She is thin to
> me (7-8 lbs) but is very small-framed too.
>
> Anyway, since she was a kitten, she often vomits after she eats. �It
> seems to come in spurts, like she's fine for 2 weeks, then pukes every
> day for a week, then not for a month, etc. �When she was about 6
> months old she was tested for feiline aids & leukemia, and some other
> stuff, worms, etc. �Nothing came up. �The problem persisted, and 6
> months later we went back to the vet, and again, clean bill of
> health. � The vet said she probably just has a weak stomach. �We've
> tried many different foods, and she absolutely refuses to eat wet food
> of any type. �The one that she seems to do the best with, though I
> know it's not the best for them, is Deli Cat.
>
> I mean, we've just gotten to live with it, she has no other signs of
> being ill, has tons of energy, and never has a lack of appetite. �We
> have done better by making sure she always has food available. �She
> really eats a lot, and if she runs out and has to beg, then she really
> gulps down fast and almost guaranteed will vomit. �The other cats
> NEVER are allowed in the room where her food is, so that isn't an
> issue. �I should mention she hasn't been spayed, because the vets are
> afraid of her low weight it could be more risky putting her under.
>
> Just figured I'd throw this out if anybody else has a cat that just
> has a 'bad stomach'? �I have acid reflux. �Can cats have a similar
> condition? �Are there antacids or something for a cat? �It isn't
> hairballs either, she has short hair, and never any hair in the vomit.
>
> Any thoughts? �Much thanks in advance!!!
>
> Tom & Aster

mc
February 11th 08, 11:08 PM
My experience with this is that they do this when they eat too
quickly. This often happens in multiple cat households. Continue to
feed her separately, if you can accomplish that, it is a good thing
and try to limit the times she actually runs out of food.

Keep working on getting her to eat soft food, too. I think sometimes
the dry foods have more of this sort of effect on cats than soft
foods. I am not an expert, though, this is only my opinion, there are
others on this board that are far more educated about this than I.

Good luck ;-)

---MIKE---
February 12th 08, 01:19 AM
One problem with dry food is that after eating it, the cat is likely to
drink some water. Then the dry food expands and can cause the cat to
vomit. My cats only get a little dry food at noon and bed time. The
main meals are canned (Wellness). I put it down a little at a time so
Tiger won't pig out (and vomit). Amber will eat her portion and walk
away for a few minutes. Tiger doesn't get more until Amber returns for
more. Since I am eating at the same time I have to get up several times
to replenish their dishes.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

February 12th 08, 02:01 AM
On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first time posting here. We have 3 cats, one is 12, one is
> 7, and one is 2. I am writing about the 2 year old. Her name is
> Aster and she's mixed but looks like a Blue Russian. She is thin to
> me (7-8 lbs) but is very small-framed too.
>
> Anyway, since she was a kitten, she often vomits after she eats. It
> seems to come in spurts, like she's fine for 2 weeks, then pukes every
> day for a week, then not for a month, etc. When she was about 6
> months old she was tested for feiline aids & leukemia, and some other
> stuff, worms, etc. Nothing came up. The problem persisted, and 6
> months later we went back to the vet, and again, clean bill of
> health. The vet said she probably just has a weak stomach. We've
> tried many different foods, and she absolutely refuses to eat wet food
> of any type. The one that she seems to do the best with, though I
> know it's not the best for them, is Deli Cat.
>
> I mean, we've just gotten to live with it, she has no other signs of
> being ill, has tons of energy, and never has a lack of appetite. We
> have done better by making sure she always has food available. She
> really eats a lot, and if she runs out and has to beg, then she really
> gulps down fast and almost guaranteed will vomit. The other cats
> NEVER are allowed in the room where her food is, so that isn't an
> issue. I should mention she hasn't been spayed, because the vets are
> afraid of her low weight it could be more risky putting her under.
>
> Just figured I'd throw this out if anybody else has a cat that just
> has a 'bad stomach'? I have acid reflux. Can cats have a similar
> condition? Are there antacids or something for a cat? It isn't
> hairballs either, she has short hair, and never any hair in the vomit.
>
> Any thoughts? Much thanks in advance!!!
>
> Tom & Aster

Hi Tom:

I have several good articles on my website dealing with special diets
for cats and the health problems associated with them. Go to the index
page and use the search engine.

Hope you find some good advice or an answer.

Cheers

Russell :)

http://www.catnews.org

February 12th 08, 02:17 AM
On Feb 11, 9:01*pm, wrote:
> On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > This is my first time posting here. *We have 3 cats, one is 12, one is
> > 7, and one is 2. *I am writing about the 2 year old. *Her name is
> > Aster and she's mixed but looks like a Blue Russian. *She is thin to
> > me (7-8 lbs) but is very small-framed too.
>
> > Anyway, since she was a kitten, she often vomits after she eats. *It
> > seems to come in spurts, like she's fine for 2 weeks, then pukes every
> > day for a week, then not for a month, etc. *When she was about 6
> > months old she was tested for feiline aids & leukemia, and some other
> > stuff, worms, etc. *Nothing came up. *The problem persisted, and 6
> > months later we went back to the vet, and again, clean bill of
> > health. * The vet said she probably just has a weak stomach. *We've
> > tried many different foods, and she absolutely refuses to eat wet food
> > of any type. *The one that she seems to do the best with, though I
> > know it's not the best for them, is Deli Cat.
>
> > I mean, we've just gotten to live with it, she has no other signs of
> > being ill, has tons of energy, and never has a lack of appetite. *We
> > have done better by making sure she always has food available. *She
> > really eats a lot, and if she runs out and has to beg, then she really
> > gulps down fast and almost guaranteed will vomit. *The other cats
> > NEVER are allowed in the room where her food is, so that isn't an
> > issue. *I should mention she hasn't been spayed, because the vets are
> > afraid of her low weight it could be more risky putting her under.
>
> > Just figured I'd throw this out if anybody else has a cat that just
> > has a 'bad stomach'? *I have acid reflux. *Can cats have a similar
> > condition? *Are there antacids or something for a cat? *It isn't
> > hairballs either, she has short hair, and never any hair in the vomit.
>
> > Any thoughts? *Much thanks in advance!!!
>
> > Tom & Aster
>
> Hi Tom:
>
> I have several good articles on my website dealing with special diets
> for cats and the health problems associated with them. Go to the index
> page and use the search engine.
>
> Hope you find some good advice or an answer.
>
> Cheers
>
> Russell :)
>
> http://www.catnews.org- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the help. At least I'm glad to hear it's not a totally
unheard of issue. I think some type of "dispenser" is best, cause
feeding smaller amounts throughout the day and never letting the dish
get empty helps. She used to have a sister who passed away at 1 year
old, we **think** an aneurysm or just something and it was over in 30
seconds. But- at that time they didn't get fed separately, and the
cat who passed on was fat. So- Aster is probably conditioned to eat
fast out of fear of her food getting eaten. But we make it PHYSICALLY
IMPOSSIBLE for the other cats to get her food. I've thought about the
dry food expanding in water thing too. Makes sense, and we should
give wet food another try and/or look for the gluten again. We had
some wet foods that the vet gave us to try, (going back about a year
or more) and she absolutely would not touch the stuff. Seeing as she
was so skinny, we didn't want her not eating at all, and THEN the big
pet food scare came out and I'm paranoid so I threw it all out.
Didn't care if it was on the list or not, it went in the trash.

I might as well ask this slightly gross question. Deli Cat is an
orangish flavor, and the orangish-reddishness in the vomit is not a
good thing on our rug, which is like a light beige. Any suggestions
on what's the best way to get those stains out? We might very well
rip all the carpet out anyway, but would a Rug Shampooer like you rent
at the Supermarket get it out? We have "Spot Shot" and I think that
stuff is actually taking the dye out of the carpet it's so darn
potent!

Thanks again!
Tom

Phil P.
February 12th 08, 02:36 PM
On Feb 11, 9:01 pm, wrote:
> On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:

<snip>

>Deli Cat is an
>orangish flavor, and the orangish-reddishness in the vomit is not a
>good thing on our rug, which is like a light beige.

Therein may lie the problem. She may be having an adverse reaction to the
dye in the food. Its not unusual for a cat to have a reaction to a dye in
the food . Try switching her over to a food that does not contain any dies.

If that doesn't help, you might want to give Hill's Prescription Diet z/d a
shot just as a test to rule out or rule in food
hypersensitivity. . Z/d doesn't contain any dyes and the protein is split
with water which reduces the molecular weight of the protein to below the
immune response threshold of the cat. The cat's immune response threshold
is ~10,000 daltons, and the average molecular weight of the proteins in z/d
is ~ 6,000 daltons. If she still vomits after eating z/d, you might want to
have some x-rays taken or ultrasounds done to rule out problems in the
gastrointestinal tract.

Best of luck.

Phil

February 12th 08, 09:01 PM
On Feb 12, 9:36*am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Feb 11, 9:01 pm, wrote:
>
> > On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Deli Cat is an
> >orangish flavor, and the orangish-reddishness in the vomit is not a
> >good thing on our rug, which is like a light beige.
>
> * Therein may lie the problem. She may be having an adverse reaction to the
> dye in the food. *Its not unusual for a cat to have a reaction to a dye in
> the food . *Try switching her over to a food that does not contain any dies.
>
> If that doesn't help, you might want to give Hill's Prescription Diet z/d a
> shot just as a test to rule out or rule in food
> hypersensitivity. *. Z/d doesn't contain any dyes and the protein is split
> with water which reduces the molecular weight of the protein to below the
> immune response threshold of the cat. *The cat's immune response threshold
> is ~10,000 daltons, *and the average molecular weight of the proteins in z/d
> is ~ 6,000 daltons. If she still vomits after eating z/d, you might want to
> have some x-rays taken or ultrasounds done to rule out problems in the
> gastrointestinal tract.
>
> Best of luck.
>
> Phil

I understood try Hill's PD food a shot over Deli Cat, and if it
doesn't work, back to the vet. The middle sentences
of your response are $2,000 question on Jeopardy material!!! LOL,
thanks for the tip though!!

"Alex, I'll take Cat Puke Biology for $2,000 please"
"OK - the answer: The molecular weight, in quantity of daltons, which
is a cat's immune response threshold"
"What is 4?"
"No, sorry. We were looking for 6,000. Pick again"
"OK- I will take Movies for $400"

Tom

Phil P.
February 12th 08, 10:00 PM
On Feb 12, 9:36 am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Feb 11, 9:01 pm, wrote:
>
> > On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Deli Cat is an
> >orangish flavor, and the orangish-reddishness in the vomit is not a
> >good thing on our rug, which is like a light beige.
>
>> Therein may lie the problem. She may be having an adverse reaction to the
>> dye in the food. Its not unusual for a cat to have a reaction to a dye in
>> the food . Try switching her over to a food that does not contain any
dies.

>> If that doesn't help, you might want to give Hill's Prescription Diet z/d
>> shot just as a test to rule out or rule in food
>> hypersensitivity. . Z/d doesn't contain any dyes and the protein is split
>> with water which reduces the molecular weight of the protein to below the
>> immune response threshold of the cat. The cat's immune response threshold
>> is ~10,000 daltons, and the average molecular weight of the proteins in
z/d
>> is ~ 6,000 daltons. If she still vomits after eating z/d, you might want
>> have some x-rays taken or ultrasounds done to rule out problems in the
..> gastrointestinal tract.

>> Best of luck.
>
>> Phil

>I understood try Hill's PD food a shot over Deli Cat, and if it
>doesn't work, back to the vet. The middle sentences
>of your response are $2,000 question on Jeopardy material!!! LOL,
>thanks for the tip though!!

>"Alex, I'll take Cat Puke Biology for $2,000 please"
>"OK - the answer: The molecular weight, in quantity of daltons, which
>is a cat's immune response threshold"
>"What is 4?"
>"No, sorry. We were looking for 6,000. Pick again"
>"OK- I will take Movies for $400"

All it means is that the weight of proteins in z/d are below the cat's
immune threshold which simply means the cat's immune system doesn't detect
the proteins and therefore can't develop an adverse reaction from them.

BTW, its "z/d" not "p/d" - p/d is a pediatric diet.

On second thought- I have a better idea---

Put your cat in a carrier. Then take her to your vet and ask him to find her
a good home. When your vet asks you why you want to give her up, tell him
its because you're too dumb to have a cat.

February 13th 08, 06:45 AM
On Feb 12, 5:00*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Feb 12, 9:36 am, "Phil P." > wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message

> > On Feb 11, 9:01 pm, wrote:
>
> > > On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>
> > >Deli Cat is an
> > >orangish flavor, and the orangish-reddishness in the vomit is not a
> > >good thing on our rug, which is like a light beige.
>
> >> Therein may lie the problem. She may be having an adverse reaction to the
> >> dye in the food. Its not unusual for a cat to have a reaction to a dye in
> >> the food . Try switching her over to a food that does not contain any
> dies.
>
> >> If that doesn't help, you might want to give Hill's Prescription Diet z/d
> >> shot just as a test to rule out or rule in food
> >> hypersensitivity. . Z/d doesn't contain any dyes and the protein is split
> >> with water which reduces the molecular weight of the protein to below the
> >> immune response threshold of the cat. The cat's immune response threshold
> >> is ~10,000 daltons, and the average molecular weight of the proteins in
> z/d
> >> is ~ 6,000 daltons. If she still vomits after eating z/d, you might want
> >> have some x-rays taken or ultrasounds done to rule out problems in the
>
> .> gastrointestinal tract.
>

> >> Best of luck.
>
> >> Phil
> >I understood try Hill's PD food a shot over Deli Cat, and if it
> >doesn't work, back to the vet. *The middle sentences
> >of your response are $2,000 question on Jeopardy material!!! *LOL,
> >thanks for the tip though!!
> >"Alex, I'll take Cat Puke Biology for $2,000 please"
> >"OK - the answer: *The molecular weight, in quantity of daltons, which
> >is a cat's immune response threshold"
> >"What is 4?"
> >"No, sorry. *We were looking for 6,000. *Pick again"
> >"OK- I will take Movies for $400"
>
> All it means is that the weight of proteins in z/d are below the cat's
> immune threshold which simply means the cat's immune system doesn't detect
> the proteins and therefore can't develop an adverse reaction from them.
>
> BTW, its "z/d" not "p/d" *- p/d is a pediatric diet.
>
> On second thought- I have a better idea---
>
> Put your cat in a carrier. Then take her to your vet and ask him to find her
> a good home. *When your vet asks you why you want to give her up, tell him
> its because you're too dumb to have a cat.- Hide quoted text -

I know that 'pediatric diet' would be abbreviated pd. YOU typed
Hill's Prescription Diet, which I abbreviated Hill's pd. You wrote a
VERY scientific response which I appreciated and thanked you for, then
had a bit of fun, cause I KNOW that most people would have no clue
what that middle part meant. Sorry, I didn't know that a PhD and a
complete lack of sense of humor was required to post here.

That said who the f**k are you to call me dumb or tell me I'm too dumb
to have a cat? You must be the group snob. I'm a guy with 3 cats
chatting - Nice to meet you.

February 13th 08, 06:47 AM
On Feb 13, 1:45*am, wrote:
> On Feb 12, 5:00*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message

> > > <snip>

> > dies.

> > z/d
>
> > .> gastrointestinal tract.

> > >I understood try Hill's PD food a shot over Deli Cat, and if it
> > >doesn't work, back to the vet. *The middle sentences
> > >of your response are $2,000 question on Jeopardy material!!! *LOL,
> > >thanks for the tip though!!
> > >"Alex, I'll take Cat Puke Biology for $2,000 please"
> > >"OK - the answer: *The molecular weight, in quantity of daltons, which
> > >is a cat's immune response threshold"
> > >"What is 4?"
> > >"No, sorry. *We were looking for 6,000. *Pick again"
> > >"OK- I will take Movies for $400"
>
> > All it means is that the weight of proteins in z/d are below the cat's
> > immune threshold which simply means the cat's immune system doesn't detect
> > the proteins and therefore can't develop an adverse reaction from them.
>
> > BTW, its "z/d" not "p/d" *- p/d is a pediatric diet.
>
> > On second thought- I have a better idea---
>
> > Put your cat in a carrier. Then take her to your vet and ask him to find her
> > a good home. *When your vet asks you why you want to give her up, tell him
> > its because you're too dumb to have a cat.- Hide quoted text -

> I know that 'pediatric diet' would be abbreviated pd. *YOU typed
> Hill's Prescription Diet, which I abbreviated Hill's pd. *You wrote a
> VERY scientific response which I appreciated and thanked you for, then
> had a bit of fun, cause I KNOW that most people would have no clue
> what that middle part meant. *Sorry, I didn't know that a PhD and a
> complete lack of sense of humor was required to post here.
>
> That said who the f**k are you to call me dumb or tell me I'm too dumb
> to have a cat? *You must be the group snob. *I'm a guy with 3 cats
> chatting - Nice to meet you.
>
> T- Hide quoted text -

And it *does* appear that you really know your stuff, I just won't
tolerate being called 'too dumb' to own a cat. It seems you offer
lots of good advice, but your people skills could use a bit of work.

Phil P.
February 13th 08, 09:30 AM
On Feb 12, 5:00 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Feb 12, 9:36 am, "Phil P." > wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message

> > On Feb 11, 9:01 pm, wrote:
>
> > > On Feb 11, 11:50 am, wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>
> > >Deli Cat is an
> > >orangish flavor, and the orangish-reddishness in the vomit is not a
> > >good thing on our rug, which is like a light beige.
>
> >> Therein may lie the problem. She may be having an adverse reaction to
the
> >> dye in the food. Its not unusual for a cat to have a reaction to a dye
in
> >> the food . Try switching her over to a food that does not contain any
> dies.
>
> >> If that doesn't help, you might want to give Hill's Prescription Diet
z/d
> >> shot just as a test to rule out or rule in food
> >> hypersensitivity. . Z/d doesn't contain any dyes and the protein is
split
> >> with water which reduces the molecular weight of the protein to below
the
> >> immune response threshold of the cat. The cat's immune response
threshold
> >> is ~10,000 daltons, and the average molecular weight of the proteins in
> z/d
> >> is ~ 6,000 daltons. If she still vomits after eating z/d, you might
want
> >> have some x-rays taken or ultrasounds done to rule out problems in the
>
> .> gastrointestinal tract.
>

> >> Best of luck.
>
> >> Phil
> >I understood try Hill's PD food a shot over Deli Cat, and if it
> >doesn't work, back to the vet. The middle sentences
> >of your response are $2,000 question on Jeopardy material!!! LOL,
> >thanks for the tip though!!
> >"Alex, I'll take Cat Puke Biology for $2,000 please"
> >"OK - the answer: The molecular weight, in quantity of daltons, which
> >is a cat's immune response threshold"
> >"What is 4?"
> >"No, sorry. We were looking for 6,000. Pick again"
> >"OK- I will take Movies for $400"
>
>> All it means is that the weight of proteins in z/d are below the cat's
>> immune threshold which simply means the cat's immune system doesn't
detect
>> the proteins and therefore can't develop an adverse reaction from them.
>
>> BTW, its "z/d" not "p/d" - p/d is a pediatric diet.
>
>> On second thought- I have a better idea---
>
>> Put your cat in a carrier. Then take her to your vet and ask him to find
her
>> a good home. When your vet asks you why you want to give her up, tell him
>> its because you're too dumb to have a cat.- Hide quoted text -

>I know that 'pediatric diet' would be abbreviated pd.

Gee- I didn't think someone who feeds their cats Deli Cat would even know
Hill's makes a prescription pediatric diet- Hey, there's a new abbreviation
for you! HPPD

YOU typed
>Hill's Prescription Diet, which I abbreviated Hill's pd. You wrote a
>VERY scientific response which I appreciated and thanked you for,
then
>had a bit of fun,

I was having a bit of fun with you too... I guess you didn't like it, eh?
Maybe you shouldn't try to be funny with people if you can't take people
having fun with you... Or maybe you should get to know people before you
decide to have fun with them... Otherwise, it kinda makes you look like a
jerk.

>cause I KNOW that most people would have no clue
>what that middle part meant.

I see it doesn't matter to you-- but if it were me, I'd want to know why one
diet might be better for my cat than another. I guess you're just not as
curious as I'm.

Sorry, I didn't know that a PhD and a
>complete lack of sense of humor was required to post here.

I don't have a PhD-- but I do have a great sense of humor--- but not when it
concerns a cat's heath-- I take that *very* seriously.

>That said who the f**k are you to call me dumb or tell me I'm too dumb
>to have a cat? You must be the group snob.

I'm not a snob- I'm a prick and I call 'em like I see 'em.

I'm a guy with 3 cats
>chatting -

I'm a guy with 11 cats- but this isn't a chat room.

>Nice to meet you.

The pleasure has been mine...

Phil P.
February 13th 08, 09:36 AM
On Feb 13, 1:45 am, wrote:
> On Feb 12, 5:00 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message

> > > <snip>

> > dies.

> > z/d
>
> > .> gastrointestinal tract.

> > >I understood try Hill's PD food a shot over Deli Cat, and if it
> > >doesn't work, back to the vet. The middle sentences
> > >of your response are $2,000 question on Jeopardy material!!! LOL,
> > >thanks for the tip though!!
> > >"Alex, I'll take Cat Puke Biology for $2,000 please"
> > >"OK - the answer: The molecular weight, in quantity of daltons, which
> > >is a cat's immune response threshold"
> > >"What is 4?"
> > >"No, sorry. We were looking for 6,000. Pick again"
> > >"OK- I will take Movies for $400"
>
> > All it means is that the weight of proteins in z/d are below the cat's
> > immune threshold which simply means the cat's immune system doesn't
detect
> > the proteins and therefore can't develop an adverse reaction from them.
>
> > BTW, its "z/d" not "p/d" - p/d is a pediatric diet.
>
> > On second thought- I have a better idea---
>
> > Put your cat in a carrier. Then take her to your vet and ask him to find
her
> > a good home. When your vet asks you why you want to give her up, tell
him
> > its because you're too dumb to have a cat.- Hide quoted text -

>> I know that 'pediatric diet' would be abbreviated pd. YOU typed
>> Hill's Prescription Diet, which I abbreviated Hill's pd. You wrote a
>> VERY scientific response which I appreciated and thanked you for, then
>> had a bit of fun, cause I KNOW that most people would have no clue
>> what that middle part meant. Sorry, I didn't know that a PhD and a
>> complete lack of sense of humor was required to post here.
>
>> That said who the f**k are you to call me dumb or tell me I'm too dumb
>> to have a cat? You must be the group snob. I'm a guy with 3 cats
>> chatting - Nice to meet you.
>>
>> T- Hide quoted text -

>And it *does* appear that you really know your stuff, I just won't
>tolerate being called 'too dumb' to own a cat.

Like I said: Maybe you shouldn't try to be funny with people if you can't
take people having fun with you... Or maybe you should get to know people
before you decide to have fun with them... Otherwise, it kinda makes you
look like a jerk.

>It seems you offer
>lots of good advice, but your people skills could use a bit of work.

Ya think? Gee, I've never heard that before! lol

February 13th 08, 03:24 PM
On Feb 13, 4:36*am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> the
> dye in
> > > dies.

> z/d
> split
> the
> threshold
> in
> > > z/d
> want
> the
>
> > > .> gastrointestinal tract.

> > > All it means is that the weight of proteins in z/d are below the cat's
> > > immune threshold which simply means the cat's immune system doesn't
> detect
> > > the proteins and therefore can't develop an adverse reaction from them..
>
> > > BTW, its "z/d" not "p/d" - p/d is a pediatric diet.
>
> > > On second thought- I have a better idea---
>
> > > Put your cat in a carrier. Then take her to your vet and ask him to find
> her
> > > a good home. When your vet asks you why you want to give her up, tell
> him
> > > its because you're too dumb to have a cat.- Hide quoted text -

> >> I know that 'pediatric diet' would be abbreviated pd. YOU typed
> >> Hill's Prescription Diet, which I abbreviated Hill's pd. You wrote a
> >> VERY scientific response which I appreciated and thanked you for, then
> >> had a bit of fun, cause I KNOW that most people would have no clue
> >> what that middle part meant. Sorry, I didn't know that a PhD and a
> >> complete lack of sense of humor was required to post here.
>
> >> That said who the f**k are you to call me dumb or tell me I'm too dumb
> >> to have a cat? You must be the group snob. I'm a guy with 3 cats
> >> chatting - Nice to meet you.
>
> >> T- Hide quoted text -

> >And it *does* appear that you really know your stuff, I just won't
> >tolerate being called 'too dumb' to own a cat.
>
> Like I said: Maybe you shouldn't try to be funny with people if you can't
> take people having fun with you... Or maybe you should get to know people
> before you decide to have fun with them... Otherwise, it kinda makes you
> look like a jerk.
>
> >It seems you offer
> >lots of good advice, but your people skills could use a bit of work.
>
> Ya think? Gee, I've never heard that before! lol- Hide quoted text -

What I wrote was a fake jeopardy scenareo, & obviously a JOKE.
You plain and simply called me DUMB. There's a difference.

Phil P.
February 13th 08, 05:28 PM
On Feb 13, 4:36 am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> the
> dye in
> > > dies.

Diet
> z/d
> split
> the
> threshold
> in
> > > z/d
> want
> the
>
> > > .> gastrointestinal tract.

> > > All it means is that the weight of proteins in z/d are below the cat's
> > > immune threshold which simply means the cat's immune system doesn't
> detect
> > > the proteins and therefore can't develop an adverse reaction from
them.

> > > BTW, its "z/d" not "p/d" - p/d is a pediatric diet.
>
> > > On second thought- I have a better idea---
>
> > > Put your cat in a carrier. Then take her to your vet and ask him to
find
> her
> > > a good home. When your vet asks you why you want to give her up, tell
> him
> > > its because you're too dumb to have a cat.- Hide quoted text -

> >> I know that 'pediatric diet' would be abbreviated pd. YOU typed
> >> Hill's Prescription Diet, which I abbreviated Hill's pd. You wrote a
> >> VERY scientific response which I appreciated and thanked you for, then
> >> had a bit of fun, cause I KNOW that most people would have no clue
> >> what that middle part meant. Sorry, I didn't know that a PhD and a
> >> complete lack of sense of humor was required to post here.
>
> >> That said who the f**k are you to call me dumb or tell me I'm too dumb
> >> to have a cat? You must be the group snob. I'm a guy with 3 cats
> >> chatting - Nice to meet you.
>
> >> T- Hide quoted text -

> >And it *does* appear that you really know your stuff, I just won't
> >tolerate being called 'too dumb' to own a cat.
>
>> Like I said: Maybe you shouldn't try to be funny with people if you can't
>> take people having fun with you... Or maybe you should get to know people
>> before you decide to have fun with them... Otherwise, it kinda makes you
>> look like a jerk.
>
> >It seems you offer
> >lots of good advice, but your people skills could use a bit of work.
>
>> Ya think? Gee, I've never heard that before! lol- Hide quoted text -

>What I wrote was a fake jeopardy scenareo, & obviously a JOKE.
>You plain and simply called me DUMB. There's a difference.

That's right! I wasn't joking. You asked for advice and I tried to help you
help your cat and you made a joke about it. That wasn't very bright, now
was it?

Like I said-- for the 3rd time: maybe you should get to know people before
you decide to joke around with them- especially about a cat's health issues.
Otherwise, it kinda makes you look like a jerk that doesn't take his cat's
health very seriously.

February 14th 08, 02:30 AM
On Feb 13, 12:28*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Feb 13, 4:36 am, "Phil P." > wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message

> > the
> > dye in
> any

> Diet
> > z/d
> > split
> below
> > the
> > threshold
> proteins
> > in
> > want
> > the

> > detect
> them.

> find
> > her
> > him

> > >And it *does* appear that you really know your stuff, I just won't
> > >tolerate being called 'too dumb' to own a cat.
>
> >> Like I said: Maybe you shouldn't try to be funny with people if you can't
> >> take people having fun with you... Or maybe you should get to know people
> >> before you decide to have fun with them... Otherwise, it kinda makes you
> >> look like a jerk.
>
> > >It seems you offer
> > >lots of good advice, but your people skills could use a bit of work.
>
> >> Ya think? Gee, I've never heard that before! lol- Hide quoted text -

> >What I wrote was a fake jeopardy scenareo, & obviously a JOKE.
> >You plain and simply called me DUMB. *There's a difference.
>
> That's right! *I wasn't joking. You asked for advice and I tried to help you
> help your cat and you made a joke about it. *That wasn't very bright, now
> was it?
>
> Like I said-- for the 3rd time: maybe you should get to know people before
> you decide to joke around with them- especially about a cat's health issues.
> Otherwise, it kinda makes you look like a jerk that doesn't take his cat's
> health very seriously.- Hide quoted text -

OK- I wasn't joking about cat's health. If I didn't take my cat's
health seriously, we wouldn't have been to the vet twice already, nor
would I be posting here. I was joking about your scientific
explanation that many cat owners who LOVE and CARE ABOUT their cats
would scratch their heads at - but understand the 'what to do' part of
your response. And I appreciate it. My joke wasn't intended for ANY
reason than to get a chuckle. Sorry if it angered you. Obviously it
did, you called me dumb. We can go back and forth forever......

Bottom line I think my joke and you calling me 'too dumb to own a cat'
makes us even. I didn't come here to argue or make enemies, so let's
say truce? I have and love cats, you have and love even MORE cats,
it's all good, no?

jinjabean
February 14th 08, 08:56 PM
I also have a puker...she is thin, a fast eater and healthy as a horse.
Keep trying to get her to eat wet food, but the most she'll do is lick of
the juice on sliced varieties. DeliCat is her favorite as well.

As for your "orange" carpet stains, the best thing that I have found is a
mixture of Tide and water and a tooth brush for scrubbing. The diluted
detergent mix seams to do the trick and I just blot when I'm done with
paper towels.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutpets.com/group/rec.pets.cats.health+behav/
More information at http://www.talkaboutpets.com/faq.html

cybercat
February 14th 08, 09:10 PM
"jinjabean" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
>I also have a puker...she is thin, a fast eater and healthy as a horse.
> Keep trying to get her to eat wet food, but the most she'll do is lick of
> the juice on sliced varieties.

This is exactly what Gracie does. And she loves Purina One Salmon,
this is the only food she really chows on. She weights 7.25 lbs soaking
wet.

> As for your "orange" carpet stains, the best thing that I have found is a
> mixture of Tide and water and a tooth brush for scrubbing. The diluted
> detergent mix seams to do the trick and I just blot when I'm done with
> paper towels.

I really recommend trying a food with no dies. They tend to be higher
quality, too. Purina One is one, Science Diet is another I have tried
that my cats love.

cybercat
February 15th 08, 12:04 AM
"hopitus" > wrote

> I have a tip for you but its about your orange-stained carpets.
> There is now an under $4 manual Woolite-filled little cleaning
> pod for sale in grocery "cleaning products" aisles that has
> liquid, soft pad, and scratch plastic bristles which I have found
> to be highly efficient on *OLD* carpet stains....I use it on the
> aforementioned big male barfer-because-he's-a-piggish-gobbler

This stuff is great. I use the Woolite Pod meant for upholstery on
our couches and it makes them look like new.

February 15th 08, 05:19 AM
On Feb 14, 7:04*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "hopitus" > wrote
>
> > I have a tip for you but its about your orange-stained carpets.
> > There is now an under $4 manual Woolite-filled little cleaning
> > pod for sale in grocery "cleaning products" aisles that has
> > liquid, soft pad, and scratch plastic bristles which I have found
> > to be highly efficient on *OLD* carpet stains....I use it on the
> > aforementioned big male barfer-because-he's-a-piggish-gobbler
>
> This stuff is great. I use the Woolite Pod meant for upholstery on
> our couches and it makes them look like new.

Thanks for the tips!! Jeopardy, though you've never seen it probably
have heard, is a game show with REALLY tough questions, like the
majority of the questions are along the lines of the million dollar
question on "Who wants to be a millionaire". Most folks could never
get on it, and people sit at home watching with no clue, but something
makes us love to watch it!

As for the Woolite product, we have these "OLD" stains exactly as you
say, so I can't wait to try it. Thanks again!

Claude V. Lucas
February 15th 08, 05:44 AM
In article >,
> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>This is my first time posting here. We have 3 cats, one is 12, one is
>7, and one is 2. I am writing about the 2 year old. Her name is
>Aster and she's mixed but looks like a Blue Russian. She is thin to
>me (7-8 lbs) but is very small-framed too.
>
>Anyway, since she was a kitten, she often vomits after she eats. It
>seems to come in spurts, like she's fine for 2 weeks, then pukes every
>day for a week, then not for a month, etc. When she was about 6
>months old she was tested for feiline aids & leukemia, and some other
>stuff, worms, etc. Nothing came up. The problem persisted, and 6
>months later we went back to the vet, and again, clean bill of
>health. The vet said she probably just has a weak stomach. We've
>tried many different foods, and she absolutely refuses to eat wet food
>of any type. The one that she seems to do the best with, though I
>know it's not the best for them, is Deli Cat.
>
>I mean, we've just gotten to live with it, she has no other signs of
>being ill, has tons of energy, and never has a lack of appetite. We
>have done better by making sure she always has food available. She
>really eats a lot, and if she runs out and has to beg, then she really
>gulps down fast and almost guaranteed will vomit. The other cats
>NEVER are allowed in the room where her food is, so that isn't an
>issue. I should mention she hasn't been spayed, because the vets are
>afraid of her low weight it could be more risky putting her under.
>
>Just figured I'd throw this out if anybody else has a cat that just
>has a 'bad stomach'? I have acid reflux. Can cats have a similar
>condition? Are there antacids or something for a cat? It isn't
>hairballs either, she has short hair, and never any hair in the vomit.
>
>Any thoughts? Much thanks in advance!!!
>
>Tom & Aster

When I first got Bubba from the pound he'd gobble down the
kibble that they gave me for him and puke it back up more
often than not. I switched him to Royal Canin Maine Coon
formula which is bigger. The larger size forces him to chew
it enough so that he only throws up every now and then. I can
tell by watching him eat if he's gonna hurl or not and if I
remind him to chew and not gobble he even listens to me.

Sometimes. :*)

Phil P.
February 15th 08, 05:49 PM
"hopitus" > wrote in message

Is that the *original* Hopitus?? How long has it been-- >5 years? How've
you been? I haven't had much time to visit the group as much I used to.

> Dude, Phil P. not only knows his cat stuff and his advice is worth
> 20 or more "opinions" like my earlier post re the food barfing after
> meals, but his sense of humor (oh, he does have one; you just
> pushed the wrong buttons) is *zilch* when it comes to cat health
> problems/questions levity.

May be he would have been happier if I told him that if he wanted to stop
the cat from barfing, just stop feeding the damned thing! Simple solution
with an added benefit.. Not only won't he have to clean up barf and dye
stains- he also wouldn't have to clean the litter box as much...

Uh oh! One of my cats is letting me know what she thinks of my jokes:
http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Chatter-giving_her_opinion.JPG

Good to see you again,

Phil

AZ Nomad
February 15th 08, 07:55 PM
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:50:33 -0800 (PST), > wrote:
>Hello,

>This is my first time posting here. We have 3 cats, one is 12, one is
>7, and one is 2. I am writing about the 2 year old. Her name is
>Aster and she's mixed but looks like a Blue Russian. She is thin to
>me (7-8 lbs) but is very small-framed too.

>Anyway, since she was a kitten, she often vomits after she eats. It
>seems to come in spurts, like she's fine for 2 weeks, then pukes every
>day for a week, then not for a month, etc. When she was about 6
>months old she was tested for feiline aids & leukemia, and some other
>stuff, worms, etc. Nothing came up. The problem persisted, and 6
>months later we went back to the vet, and again, clean bill of
>health. The vet said she probably just has a weak stomach. We've
>tried many different foods, and she absolutely refuses to eat wet food
>of any type. The one that she seems to do the best with, though I
>know it's not the best for them, is Deli Cat.

has she been tested for giardia? It might be a good idea to take her to
a different vet.

February 15th 08, 08:14 PM
On Feb 15, 12:49*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "hopitus" > wrote in message

> Is that the *original* Hopitus?? *How long has it been-- >5 years? How've
> you been? I haven't had much time to visit the group as much I used to.
>
> > Dude, Phil P. not only knows his cat stuff and his advice is worth
> > 20 or more "opinions" like my earlier post re the food barfing after
> > meals, but his sense of humor (oh, he does have one; you just
> > pushed the wrong buttons) is *zilch* when it comes to cat health
> > problems/questions levity.
>
> May be he would have been happier if I told *him that if he wanted to stop
> the cat from barfing, just stop feeding the damned thing! *Simple solution
> with an added benefit.. Not only won't he have to clean up barf and dye
> stains- he also wouldn't have to clean the litter box as much...
>
> Uh oh! One of my cats is letting me know what she thinks of my jokes:http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Chatter-giving_her_opinion.JPG
>
> Good to see you again,
>
> Phil

OK, I tried to call a 'truce' & let by-gones be by-gones. Several
posts ago I apologized, and said let's stop it. Then you have to 'go
there' again. But for some reason it's OK for you to joke about
ABUSING a cat, but I make a joke about not knowing daltons and
molecular weight, and you call me dumb and a jerk. Seriously, read
this thread. You lashed out at me because you have 'no sense of
humor' when it comes to cat's health.

But a joke about starving a cat to death is OK for you to make. And
I don't doubt for a second your knowledge or your love of cats. But I
also don't doubt your ability to be hypocritical, and that YOU - not
ME - sound like a jerk when you mention not feeding a cat at all as to
'not have to clean the litter box'. Don't get on my case for making a
joke about molecular weight after you do that. Anybody who thinks
that isn't hypocritical really is 'too dumb to own a cat' - or a
computer. Re-read my post asking for us to stop the back and forth.

Phil P.
February 15th 08, 08:22 PM
> wrote in message

OK, I tried to call a 'truce' & let by-gones be by-gones. .

Now you're starting to whine. Chill out.

February 15th 08, 08:34 PM
On Feb 15, 3:22*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> OK, I tried to call a 'truce' & let by-gones be by-gones. *.
>
> Now you're starting to whine. Chill out.

AZ, we have had her to 2 different vets, and tested for everything
including giardia. We had 2 BIG visits where they did every test in
the book, but there were many check-up and follow-up visits in
between. Most of it was early in the game, because we didn't want
anything passed on to our other cats. But once all of THAT was ruled
out, we then went back many times.

How do the people in here find Iams to be? She wouldn't eat it when
we first tried it, but the vet said if she could keep that down to go
with it if she refused to eat the wet food and what he prescribed.
Our other cats never get sick other than hairballs, but we'd just have
to make sure if we keep them on Deli Cat that Aster doesn't "steal"
their food! But - is Iams successful for anybody here?

Claude V. Lucas
February 15th 08, 08:39 PM
In article >,
> wrote:
>On Feb 15, 3:22*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> OK, I tried to call a 'truce' & let by-gones be by-gones. *.
>>
>> Now you're starting to whine. Chill out.
>
>AZ, we have had her to 2 different vets, and tested for everything
>including giardia. We had 2 BIG visits where they did every test in
>the book, but there were many check-up and follow-up visits in
>between. Most of it was early in the game, because we didn't want
>anything passed on to our other cats. But once all of THAT was ruled
>out, we then went back many times.
>
>How do the people in here find Iams to be? She wouldn't eat it when
>we first tried it, but the vet said if she could keep that down to go
>with it if she refused to eat the wet food and what he prescribed.
>Our other cats never get sick other than hairballs, but we'd just have
>to make sure if we keep them on Deli Cat that Aster doesn't "steal"
>their food! But - is Iams successful for anybody here?

FWIW, the only cat food that Bubba has *ever* refused to eat
was a couple of varieties of IAMS.

A while back I posted his impressions of several types of
canned food. I'll repost part of that review.

- Begin Quote -

IAMS Slices with Chicken in Gravy Slices covered in Real Broth:
IAMS Turkey Slices in Gravy Slices covered in Real Broth:
The liquid portion was quite tasty but the overall eating experience
was marred by a number of inedible square chunks of some unknown
origin that was included in the can for some stupid human reason.
I, as is my Privilege, refused to eat whatever it was. This is the
first time in my recollection that I have actually refused to eat
*any* cat food related substance. *

IAMS Slices with Beef in Gravy Slices covered in Real Broth:
The solid squares in this flavor are closer to edible than in the
other flavors. The gravy is quite good. **

IAMS Beef Entree Slow Cooked in Real Broth:
IAMS Lamb & Rice Entree Slow Cooked in Real Broth:
IAMS Chicken Entree Slow Cooked in Real Broth:
The liquid portion was also quite good but the solid portion was
barely edible. If that idiot slave of mine had put out more kibble I
would not have bothered with eating the solid part. *

- end quote -

as always, YCMMV.

cybercat
February 15th 08, 10:23 PM
> wrote
>How do the people in here find Iams to be? She wouldn't eat it when
>we first tried it, but the vet said if she could keep that down to go
>with it if she refused to eat the wet food and what he prescribed.

The shelter where I got my Gracie was feeding her Iams in a can
when I brought her home. She was asthmatic and allergic, did better
when I switched her food to Fancy Feast. Iams looks really gross,
not appetizing even from a cat's perspective.

Phil P.
February 18th 08, 07:00 PM
"hopitus" > wrote in message

>ROFL at your cat link's opinion.

Its not far from real personality! lol She's the most opinionated cat I've
ever known.

>AFAIK there is only one hopitus
>(well, not counting
>my beloved old Manx who waits for me @ RB since '89) who moved mid-04
>MileHigh where my present cats grow magnificent thick fur as weather
>is so bad.

The weather here is crazy-- We're finding 3-8 week old kittens outside- and
females in their third trimester- and this is only February! I'm dreading
this kitten season- last year was a 3-litter season that we haven't
recovered from- It looks like this year will we worse.

>Hope life has treated you and yours good all these years; assume
>you're still in
>same area
>and also that yes, you as usual are very busy indeed.

I still live in the same area, but we're trapping all over the state.

>My major comfort is my cats - the overweight barfer has mellowed in
>his middle
>age of 7-ish; he used to bite a lot but now is a cuddling blob of
fuzzy love.

My home team is up to 11! All hard luck cases.

>Thanks for asking/greeting and continued blessings wished on you and
>yours
>from hopitus...now enjoying more snow, LOL - NOT!

I wish you the same.

Phil