PDA

View Full Version : Please help-strange behavior

February 16th 08, 01:03 AM
We have two litter mates, a male and female, 3 years old. The male
has always been more aggressive, or less afraid of things. They have
aways gotten along wonderfully, cuddling, and sleeping together.

Today, Things have changed. Some time during the day, something
happend. Tonight, the male is cowering in the basement, while the
female is behaving normally. When I came home, it was odd that the
male wasn't there to greet me,,with the female as normal. later, we
found him hiding in the basement. They are both indoor cats, and
don't go outdoors.

Since earlier in the evening, the cats have tried to approach each
other, but the male reteats to the basement, and the female hisses.

I would appreciate any information from anyone who has gone through
this...cats who have been loving compansions, who are now adversaries.

Gail[_2_]
February 16th 08, 01:09 AM
Is the male eating, urinating, and defecating normally? If they both seem OK
physically, I think it is just a short term "blip" in their relationship.
Sometimes cats will become aggressive with each other but will work it out
and go back to their normal behavior.
Gail
> wrote in message
> We have two litter mates, a male and female, 3 years old. The male
> has always been more aggressive, or less afraid of things. They have
> aways gotten along wonderfully, cuddling, and sleeping together.
>
> Today, Things have changed. Some time during the day, something
> happend. Tonight, the male is cowering in the basement, while the
> female is behaving normally. When I came home, it was odd that the
> male wasn't there to greet me,,with the female as normal. later, we
> found him hiding in the basement. They are both indoor cats, and
> don't go outdoors.
>
> Since earlier in the evening, the cats have tried to approach each
> other, but the male reteats to the basement, and the female hisses.
>
> I would appreciate any information from anyone who has gone through
> this...cats who have been loving compansions, who are now adversaries.

Candace
February 16th 08, 07:52 AM
On Feb 15, 6:03*pm, wrote:
> We have two litter mates, a male and female, 3 years old. *The male
> has always been more aggressive, or less afraid of things. They have
> aways gotten along wonderfully, cuddling, and sleeping together.
>
> Today, Things have changed. *Some time during the day, something
> happend. *Tonight, the male is cowering in the basement, while the
> female is behaving normally. *When I came home, it was odd that the
> male wasn't there to greet me,,with the female as normal. later, we
> found him hiding in the basement. *They are both indoor cats, and
> don't go outdoors.
>
> Since earlier in the evening, the cats have tried to approach each
> other, but the male reteats to the basement, and the female hisses.
>
> I would appreciate any information from anyone who has gone through
> this...cats who have been loving compansions, who are now adversaries.

Sounds like misplaced aggression. Something must have happened during
the day, maybe seeing another cat outside or a dog or a loud noise and
the male cat perceives that the female was responsible so he's
afraid. It usually passes in a couple days, at most. Just try to
make him feel safe and secure.

Candace

Rene S.
February 18th 08, 08:26 PM
> Sounds like misplaced aggression. *Something must have happened during
> the day, maybe seeing another cat outside or a dog or a loud noise and
> the male cat perceives that the female was responsible so he's
> afraid. *It usually passes in a couple days, at most. *Just try to
> make him feel safe and secure.

I've had this happen before, much worse than what the OP is
describing. I'd suggest keeping the cats in separate rooms for a few
days. Use Feliway spray or get a couple of diffusers in locations
where the cats are. Try introducing them, slowly, in a couple of days.