PDA

View Full Version : HELP ... my cat is a crybabay

Dom
February 17th 08, 09:37 PM
My cat cries constantly, from the moment I come home until I go to
bed. He also digs his nails into my pants and scratches, or starts
attacking my furniture or the corners of the carpet. I used to give
him food, thinking he was hungry, but he never ate it. Instead, it
seems he just wants me to sit on the floor so he can cuddle up on my
lap. I don't especially mind that, but sometimes I just want to be
left alone.

How do I change this behavior? He is driving me nuts.

Dom

Spot[_2_]
February 17th 08, 10:25 PM
sounds to me like he's lonely. Have you thought about getting him a
companion cat.

Celeste

"Dom" > wrote in message
> My cat cries constantly, from the moment I come home until I go to
> bed. He also digs his nails into my pants and scratches, or starts
> attacking my furniture or the corners of the carpet. I used to give
> him food, thinking he was hungry, but he never ate it. Instead, it
> seems he just wants me to sit on the floor so he can cuddle up on my
> lap. I don't especially mind that, but sometimes I just want to be
> left alone.
>
> How do I change this behavior? He is driving me nuts.
>
> Dom

Dom
February 17th 08, 10:32 PM
I got him to be a companion for my first cat!! He drives that cat
nuts too!!!!!!

Dom

On Feb 17, 5:25*pm, "Spot" > wrote:
> sounds to me like he's lonely. *Have you thought about getting him a
> companion cat.
>
> Celeste
>
> "Dom" > wrote in message

> > My cat cries constantly, from the moment I come home until I go to
> > bed. *He also digs his nails into my pants and scratches, or starts
> > attacking my furniture or the corners of the carpet. *I used to give
> > him food, thinking he was hungry, but he never ate it. *Instead, it
> > seems he just wants me to sit on the floor so he can cuddle up on my
> > lap. *I don't especially mind that, but sometimes I just want to be
> > left alone.
>
> > How do I change this behavior? *He is driving me nuts.
>
> > Dom- Hide quoted text -

zob
February 18th 08, 01:03 AM
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:32:58 -0800 (PST), Dom >
wrote:

>> > My cat cries constantly, from the moment I come home until I go to
>> > bed. *He also digs his nails into my pants and scratches, or starts
>> > attacking my furniture or the corners of the carpet. *I used to give
>> > him food, thinking he was hungry, but he never ate it. *Instead, it
>> > seems he just wants me to sit on the floor so he can cuddle up on my
>> > lap. *I don't especially mind that, but sometimes I just want to be
>> > left alone.
>>
>> > How do I change this behavior? *He is driving me nuts.
>>
>> > Dom- Hide quoted text -

>On Feb 17, 5:25*pm, "Spot" > wrote:
>> sounds to me like he's lonely. *Have you thought about getting him a
>> companion cat.
>>
>> Celeste

<top posting fixed>

>> "Dom" > wrote in message

>I got him to be a companion for my first cat!! He drives that cat
>nuts too!!!!!!
>
>Dom

ROFL! This made me think of the old "The Cat Came Back" song/cartoon
video. If you've never seen it, you *have* to watch it!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNyqXsv4Ueo
---
Zob

James
February 18th 08, 02:00 AM
On Feb 17, 5:32*pm, Dom > wrote:
> I got him to be a companion for my first cat!! *He drives that cat
> nuts too!!!!!!
>
> Dom
>
> On Feb 17, 5:25*pm, "Spot" > wrote:
>

> > sounds to me like he's lonely. *Have you thought about getting him a
> > companion cat.
>
> > Celeste
>
> > "Dom" > wrote in message

> > > My cat cries constantly, from the moment I come home until I go to
> > > bed. *He also digs his nails into my pants and scratches, or starts
> > > attacking my furniture or the corners of the carpet. *I used to give
> > > him food, thinking he was hungry, but he never ate it. *Instead, it
> > > seems he just wants me to sit on the floor so he can cuddle up on my
> > > lap. *I don't especially mind that, but sometimes I just want to be
> > > left alone.
>
> > > How do I change this behavior? *He is driving me nuts.
>
> > > Dom- Hide quoted text -

Maybe you can have him volunteer at old folks' homes where people
would love to cuddle up with a lap cat.

Rene S.
February 18th 08, 02:26 PM
On Feb 17, 3:37*pm, Dom > wrote:
> My cat cries constantly, from the moment I come home until I go to
> bed. *He also digs his nails into my pants and scratches, or starts
> attacking my furniture or the corners of the carpet. *I used to give
> him food, thinking he was hungry, but he never ate it. *Instead, it
> seems he just wants me to sit on the floor so he can cuddle up on my
> lap. *I don't especially mind that, but sometimes I just want to be
> left alone.
>
> How do I change this behavior? *He is driving me nuts.
>
> Dom

How often do you play with him? He may need more mental stimulation.
Play with him several times per day using an interactive toy like the
Cat Dancer. Rotate his toys so there's always something "new" to play
with. Do you have a tall cat tree for him to climb? How about a box to
play in?

I don't know your living situation, but is it possible to have a
friend or pet sitter come during the day to play with him? It might
cut down on his anxiety.

Rene

John Doe
February 18th 08, 05:12 PM
Dom > wrote:

> I got him to be a companion for my first cat!! He drives that cat
> nuts too!!!!!!

Looking for a companion to my paranoid feral female, I took in a
large male stray. He was amazingly calm and tame towards me, but he
began to whine frequently. That was especially distressing while I
used the computer. Then I took in another stray male, very playful.
So the big guy attacked the playful one. That helped solve the
problem, I got rid of the big guy. That ended up proving to be a
great choice. If you take a cat off of the street or maybe from a
shelter (and do not have it declawed), you can throw it back and try
another. My current stray male proves the best things in life are
free. I agree with the anxiety and need for attention comments, but
sometimes the need for attention is abnormal and there are limits in
real life (as opposed to a "my compassion has no bounds" fantasy on
the Internet). Would be fun to take care of all the needful animals
in the world, but oh well.

February 19th 08, 12:26 AM
In article <c5c7b699-5654-47a1-9f4a-c2977cf7cfe8
@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, says...
> My cat cries constantly, from the moment I come home until I go to
> bed. He also digs his nails into my pants and scratches, or starts
> attacking my furniture or the corners of the carpet. I used to give
> him food, thinking he was hungry, but he never ate it. Instead, it
> seems he just wants me to sit on the floor so he can cuddle up on my
> lap. I don't especially mind that, but sometimes I just want to be
> left alone.
>
> How do I change this behavior? He is driving me nuts.
>
> Dom

You get used to the vocal part after a while. I've found noise blocking
headphones (These have both active and passive blocks) completely drown
out everything.

Angie is a vocal girl. She whines a lot but I knew that when I adopted
her. We're getting very close though, every morning when I wake up I
have to pet her for a good 10-15 minutes and then she gets to lick the
teaspoon or so of milk left in the bowl.

mlbriggs
February 19th 08, 05:35 AM
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:37:40 -0800, Dom wrote:

> My cat cries constantly, from the moment I come home until I go to bed.
> He also digs his nails into my pants and scratches, or starts attacking my
> furniture or the corners of the carpet. I used to give him food, thinking
> he was hungry, but he never ate it. Instead, it seems he just wants me to
> sit on the floor so he can cuddle up on my lap. I don't especially mind
> that, but sometimes I just want to be left alone.
>
> How do I change this behavior? He is driving me nuts.
>
> Dom

Is he a Siamese? If so, they are usually very talkative. It is their
nature. MLB