PDA

View Full Version : update on older adopted cat

jinjabean
February 21st 08, 11:31 PM
Well I tried your suggestion to feed Lizzy upstairs, we went three days
with only a few bites and that was when I carried her upstairs to the
food. She still did not come up on the own even at night when the dog and
cat and I were on the third floor in bed. It really stressed her out so
after 3 1/2 days I have moved her food back downstairs. I put the bowls
closer to the stairs, but not in eye sight of the top where my other cat
is acting like a furry border guard (I take back the fact that she is not
acting aggresive....she may not be hissing and growling..but she mans her
post all the time at the top of the stairs, maybe it's her that I need to
work more with). My new plan is to move the bowls bit by bit until she is
in full view of the top of the steps and my other cat. The good news is
that Lizzy and my dog are becoming good friends (touching noses in
greeting and playing and chasing each other, and even sharing me and the
couch) I really thought that I would have more problems with her accepting
my dog.
Thank you all with all your advice, and anything else you can add would
be great. In the meantime I am going to keep inching those bowls and
appreciate that though she will not venture upstairs, she is an
affectionate, playful and sweet cat.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutpets.com/group/rec.pets.cats.health+behav/
More information at http://www.talkaboutpets.com/faq.html

Gail[_2_]
February 22nd 08, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the update. It's good that you see that your other cat is
reinforcing her fear (by standing guard at the stairs.). I think it time,
all will be OK. The pecking order (establishing it) takes some time.
Gail
lkaboutpets.com...