PDA

View Full Version : Icarus back at the vet


Cat Protector
February 21st 08, 11:12 PM
For those that are interested, Icarus is once again back at the vet for a
urinary tract blockage and is giving them a lot of headaches. They said that
if they get only a few feet near him he starts hissing and spitting. I was
on the phone with the doctor today and could hear Icarus in the background.
I'll be going over there in a little while and bringing him some canned
food. Isis, misses her brother but also is enjoying the fact she has me all
to herself when I'm home.

Candace
February 22nd 08, 02:06 AM
On Feb 21, 4:12*pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> For those that are interested, Icarus is once again back at the vet for a
> urinary tract blockage and is giving them a lot of headaches. They said that
> if they get only a few feet near him he starts hissing and spitting. I was
> on the phone with the doctor today and could hear Icarus in the background..
> I'll be going over there in a little while and bringing him some canned
> food. Isis, misses her brother but also is enjoying the fact she has me all
> to herself when I'm home.

My thoughts are with you and Icarus. You've had a bad time of it,
kitty-wise, lately. I hope he recovers quickly.

Candace

Cat Protector
February 22nd 08, 02:14 AM
Thanks Candace. He's a pretty tough cat. The vet says he's now the number 1
most difficult patient. His vocals could be heard pretty clearly when I
called them this afternoon. This evening I brought him some canned food and
Icarus is wearing an Elizabethan collar so I had to kind of force feed him.
He's pretty on edge. He'll be there for the next couple of days. They have
him caged and an IV drip is attached as well as the catheter. There was
always a chance he could get blocked. This time it was a bit harder to
detect.The vet says his bladder was the size of a large orange. He's been
unblocked though so hopefully this time will be the last time he has to go
in but I'm not betting on it.

Isis is taking it all in stride though. She is really enjoying that she has
daddy all to herself right now. I was home most of the day so she got her
time with me and jumped in my lap, etc.



"Candace" > wrote in message
...
On Feb 21, 4:12 pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> For those that are interested, Icarus is once again back at the vet for a
> urinary tract blockage and is giving them a lot of headaches. They said
> that
> if they get only a few feet near him he starts hissing and spitting. I was
> on the phone with the doctor today and could hear Icarus in the
> background.
> I'll be going over there in a little while and bringing him some canned
> food. Isis, misses her brother but also is enjoying the fact she has me
> all
> to herself when I'm home.

My thoughts are with you and Icarus. You've had a bad time of it,
kitty-wise, lately. I hope he recovers quickly.

Candace

CatNipped[_2_]
February 22nd 08, 02:24 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
...
> For those that are interested, Icarus is once again back at the vet for a
> urinary tract blockage and is giving them a lot of headaches. They said
> that if they get only a few feet near him he starts hissing and spitting.
> I was on the phone with the doctor today and could hear Icarus in the
> background. I'll be going over there in a little while and bringing him
> some canned food. Isis, misses her brother but also is enjoying the fact
> she has me all to herself when I'm home.

CP, do you feed your cats only canned food only, or do you feed them only
dry, or a combination of both?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cat Protector
February 22nd 08, 02:53 PM
A combination of both. I do already know about diet and stuff. He gets
canned twice a day and definately gets moisture and has also been on
antibiotics as well. Icarus is a very difficult case. Finding the right food
is something we're working on.


"CatNipped" > wrote in message
...
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> ...
>> For those that are interested, Icarus is once again back at the vet for a
>> urinary tract blockage and is giving them a lot of headaches. They said
>> that if they get only a few feet near him he starts hissing and spitting.
>> I was on the phone with the doctor today and could hear Icarus in the
>> background. I'll be going over there in a little while and bringing him
>> some canned food. Isis, misses her brother but also is enjoying the fact
>> she has me all to herself when I'm home.
>
> CP, do you feed your cats only canned food only, or do you feed them only
> dry, or a combination of both?
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>

CatNipped[_2_]
February 22nd 08, 03:25 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
...
>A combination of both. I do already know about diet and stuff. He gets
>canned twice a day and definately gets moisture and has also been on
>antibiotics as well. Icarus is a very difficult case. Finding the right
>food is something we're working on.

I'm taking my cats off the dry food altogether because of the boys (this is
the first time in my life I've had male cats) - I'm worried about medical
situations just like this.

Hugs,

CatNipped

>
>
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> ...
>> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> For those that are interested, Icarus is once again back at the vet for
>>> a urinary tract blockage and is giving them a lot of headaches. They
>>> said that if they get only a few feet near him he starts hissing and
>>> spitting. I was on the phone with the doctor today and could hear Icarus
>>> in the background. I'll be going over there in a little while and
>>> bringing him some canned food. Isis, misses her brother but also is
>>> enjoying the fact she has me all to herself when I'm home.
>>
>> CP, do you feed your cats only canned food only, or do you feed them only
>> dry, or a combination of both?
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>
>
>

Cat Protector
February 22nd 08, 04:31 PM
Diet plays a big roll but you don't want to put them on a total canned diet.
According to my vet they can get all sorts of dental problems if all they
get is canned.



"CatNipped" > wrote in message
...
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> ...
>>A combination of both. I do already know about diet and stuff. He gets
>>canned twice a day and definately gets moisture and has also been on
>>antibiotics as well. Icarus is a very difficult case. Finding the right
>>food is something we're working on.
>
> I'm taking my cats off the dry food altogether because of the boys (this
> is the first time in my life I've had male cats) - I'm worried about
> medical situations just like this.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
>>
>>
>> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>> ...
>>>> For those that are interested, Icarus is once again back at the vet for
>>>> a urinary tract blockage and is giving them a lot of headaches. They
>>>> said that if they get only a few feet near him he starts hissing and
>>>> spitting. I was on the phone with the doctor today and could hear
>>>> Icarus in the background. I'll be going over there in a little while
>>>> and bringing him some canned food. Isis, misses her brother but also is
>>>> enjoying the fact she has me all to herself when I'm home.
>>>
>>> CP, do you feed your cats only canned food only, or do you feed them
>>> only dry, or a combination of both?
>>>
>>> Hugs,
>>>
>>> CatNipped
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

Jean B.
February 22nd 08, 05:40 PM
Cat Protector wrote:
> Diet plays a big roll but you don't want to put them on a total canned diet.
> According to my vet they can get all sorts of dental problems if all they
> get is canned.
>

First, I'm sorry to hear that Icarus has another (or an
ongoing) problem.

Is the dry food that you feed him prescribed for urinary tract
issue? I really push wet food with Mingy, although HE still
wants dry. I feed him at least half prescription dry food....
Luckily, he decided he would eat the changed c/d kibbles. I
was really worried about that, because the Vet seemed to want
to try control through supplementation next, and that seemed
fraught with danger.

BTW, I don't know how well Icarus is accepting his wet
food--or whether that is prescription. Mingy actually likes
the Waltham formula, which is all meat. He doesn't eat it
exclusively. In fact, I am always trying to find canned foods
that he might like.

I hope your baby is back home with you really soon.

--
Jean B.

Cat Protector
February 22nd 08, 05:53 PM
Thanks. He tried the Science Diet CD which was not my first choice but the
vet sells it. I have him on the normal every day canned food but for the dry
I'm trying Nutro which has a formula that supposedly helps lower the PH
level. With Icarus being at the vet he's been refusing to eat so they are
probably having to force feed him. He just isn't happy being there. Icarus
should be home in a couple of days but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep
him through the weekend. The last time he was there it was for 5 days.

--
Nohl Rosen
Panther TEK
480-980-8541

www.panthertekit.com
"Jean B." > wrote in message
...
> First, I'm sorry to hear that Icarus has another (or an ongoing) problem.
>
> Is the dry food that you feed him prescribed for urinary tract issue? I
> really push wet food with Mingy, although HE still wants dry. I feed him
> at least half prescription dry food.... Luckily, he decided he would eat
> the changed c/d kibbles. I was really worried about that, because the Vet
> seemed to want to try control through supplementation next, and that
> seemed fraught with danger.
>
> BTW, I don't know how well Icarus is accepting his wet food--or whether
> that is prescription. Mingy actually likes the Waltham formula, which is
> all meat. He doesn't eat it exclusively. In fact, I am always trying to
> find canned foods that he might like.
>
> I hope your baby is back home with you really soon.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Cat Protector
February 23rd 08, 02:29 AM
Where did this come from. Nobody said anything about dry food and the teeth.
All that was said was that a totally canned diet isn't good for them
dentally. Thanks though for the thoughts. He was glad I was able to visit
yesterday but today the vet was pretty busy so I didn't get a chance to see
him. I was told that Icarus managed to get the cone off his head and pull
out the catheter. Usually, that always adds another day to his stay so I
probably won't have him back home until next week. They had to force feed
him and apparently he's hissing a bit less.


"cindys" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Diet plays a big roll but you don't want to put them on a total canned
>> diet. According to my vet they can get all sorts of dental problems if
>> all they get is canned.
> -------
> I disagree completely. It is a myth that dry food is good for their teeth,
> promoted by the cat food companies that want to sell dry food. As someone
> else pointed out here recently, veterinary schools do not spend enough
> time discussing cat nutrition. So, the vets buy into the song and dance
> from the cat food company representatives. Cats' jaws do not rotate. They
> chomp down. Most food is swallowed whole. Do you think lions and tigers
> eat cornflakes for breakfast? Dental health is largely related to
> genetics. I have had cats raised on dry food whose teeth were already a
> mess by age 2. I have had other cats who have lived well into their teens
> and never required a dental. I currently have five cats who all eat the
> same thing. Some have needed several dentals. Some have never needed a
> dental. It's all in the genetics.
>
> That having been said, I wish you and Icarus all the best. I was so sorry
> to hear that he was at the vet again. My cats and I will be sending many
> purrs for a quick recovery.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>> ...
>>>>A combination of both. I do already know about diet and stuff. He gets
>>>>canned twice a day and definately gets moisture and has also been on
>>>>antibiotics as well. Icarus is a very difficult case. Finding the right
>>>>food is something we're working on.
>>>
>>> I'm taking my cats off the dry food altogether because of the boys (this
>>> is the first time in my life I've had male cats) - I'm worried about
>>> medical situations just like this.
>>>
>>> Hugs,
>>>
>>> CatNipped
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>>>> ...
>>>>> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>>>> ...
>>>>>> For those that are interested, Icarus is once again back at the vet
>>>>>> for a urinary tract blockage and is giving them a lot of headaches.
>>>>>> They said that if they get only a few feet near him he starts hissing
>>>>>> and spitting. I was on the phone with the doctor today and could hear
>>>>>> Icarus in the background. I'll be going over there in a little while
>>>>>> and bringing him some canned food. Isis, misses her brother but also
>>>>>> is enjoying the fact she has me all to herself when I'm home.
>>>>>
>>>>> CP, do you feed your cats only canned food only, or do you feed them
>>>>> only dry, or a combination of both?
>>>>>
>>>>> Hugs,
>>>>>
>>>>> CatNipped
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

Jean B.
February 23rd 08, 02:37 AM
Cat Protector wrote:
> Thanks. He tried the Science Diet CD which was not my first choice but the
> vet sells it. I have him on the normal every day canned food but for the dry
> I'm trying Nutro which has a formula that supposedly helps lower the PH
> level. With Icarus being at the vet he's been refusing to eat so they are
> probably having to force feed him. He just isn't happy being there. Icarus
> should be home in a couple of days but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep
> him through the weekend. The last time he was there it was for 5 days.
>
Ack! I will say that when Mingy first blocked, he was
consuming Nutro. Yeah, I know what the package says, and I
believed it. It does turn out that there are various urinary
formulas one can try, even if Hills is the one that usually is
recommended first.

You have a real problem, like I do when Mingy is sick: a cat
that obviously is very stressed out, which only compounds the
problem. :-(

<<<<<Icarus and Nohl>>>>>

--
Jean B.

February 23rd 08, 09:36 AM
Have you tried "urine therapy" (153,000 web pages) on ICARUS. Consult
a urine therapist first because i can claim it has reversed my genetic
illness as my meds have lowered.

Erach


On Feb 23, 7:37*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Cat Protector wrote:
> > Thanks. He tried the Science Diet CD which was not my first choice but the
> > vet sells it. I have him on the normal every day canned food but for the dry
> > I'm trying Nutro which has a formula that supposedly helps lower the PH
> > level. With Icarus being at the vet he's been refusing to eat so they are
> > probably having to force feed him. He just isn't happy being there. Icarus
> > should be home in a couple of days but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep
> > him through the weekend. The last time he was there it was for 5 days.
>
> Ack! *I will say that when Mingy first blocked, he was
> consuming Nutro. *Yeah, I know what the package says, and I
> believed it. *It does turn out that there are various urinary
> formulas one can try, even if Hills is the one that usually is
> recommended first.
>
> You have a real problem, like I do when Mingy is sick: *a cat
> that obviously is very stressed out, which only compounds the
> problem. *:-(
>
> <<<<<Icarus and Nohl>>>>>
>
> --
> Jean B.

Rene S.
February 25th 08, 07:23 PM
> -------
> I disagree completely. It is a myth that dry food is good for their teeth,
> promoted by the cat food companies that want to sell dry food. As someone
> else pointed out here recently, veterinary schools do not spend enough time
> discussing cat nutrition. So, the vets buy into the song and dance from the
> cat food company representatives. Cats' jaws do not rotate. They chomp down.
> Most food is swallowed whole. Do you think lions and tigers eat cornflakes
> for breakfast?

From what I'm reading here and from the OP's cat's history, it's clear
that he NEEDS an all-wet diet. Giving some canned with dry isn't going
to cut it. I have experience with vets who are, sadly, inexperienced
in feline nutrition and, suprise, recommended what was on their shelf.

To debunk the canned/bad teeth debate, here is an excellent article
backed with scientific evidence:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=doesdryfoodcleantheteeth

The OP also needs to read this article:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=doesdryfoodcleantheteeth

Here is an excellent book, the premise of which is NOT feeding your
cat dry food:
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simple-Secrets-Stronger/dp/0312358016/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203967273&sr=8-1

I urge the OP to read these articles and get a copy of the book ASAP
and share them with OP's current vet. If his vet is still against a
wet diet, get another opinion and find a vet who will work with you
and your cat.

Cat Protector
February 28th 08, 03:20 AM
For those that are interested, Icarus is now back from the vet and doing
much better. He's going to have to be on a special diet and his water and
moisture consumption increased. He's also on medication and is being closely
watched to ensure he doesn't get another blockage. He was so happy to be
home and gave the vet quite a run for their money especially since they said
it was hard to get close to him without him hissing and spitting. According
to the vet he was like a tiger and wasn't going to take any crap from the
vet even though they were trying to help.

Icarus was so glad to finally be home and had a special treat and went to
sleep. Although Isis enjoyed having me all to herself she still welcomed him
home and now everything seems pretty normal.

Cat Protector
February 28th 08, 04:44 AM
Thanks.


"Matthew" > wrote in message
...
> Glad he is home and doing better
>
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> ...
>> For those that are interested, Icarus is now back from the vet and doing
>> much better. He's going to have to be on a special diet and his water and
>> moisture consumption increased. He's also on medication and is being
>> closely watched to ensure he doesn't get another blockage. He was so
>> happy to be home and gave the vet quite a run for their money especially
>> since they said it was hard to get close to him without him hissing and
>> spitting. According to the vet he was like a tiger and wasn't going to
>> take any crap from the vet even though they were trying to help.
>>
>> Icarus was so glad to finally be home and had a special treat and went to
>> sleep. Although Isis enjoyed having me all to herself she still welcomed
>> him home and now everything seems pretty normal.
>>
>
>

Rona Y.
February 28th 08, 11:24 AM
On Feb 28, 12:20*pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> For those that are interested, Icarus is now back from the vet and doing
> much better. He's going to have to be on a special diet and his water and
> moisture consumption increased. He's also on medication and is being closely
> watched to ensure he doesn't get another blockage. He was so happy to be
> home and gave the vet quite a run for their money especially since they said
> it was hard to get close to him without him hissing and spitting. According
> to the vet he was like a tiger and wasn't going to take any crap from the
> vet even though they were trying to help.
>
> Icarus was so glad to finally be home and had a special treat and went to
> sleep. Although Isis enjoyed having me all to herself she still welcomed him
> home and now everything seems pretty normal.

Glad he's back. Another thing to consider...

When my cat had her blockages a few years ago, after going off the
prescription diet, she continued eating a high-quality canned food.
She was fine on that diet for several weeks, but while she was at her
cat sitter's, she ran out of her usual food, so the sitter (with my
permission) gave her another type of high-quality food that she
normally gives her own cats.

She ended right back at the vet's. Why? Because the new food had
fish as a main ingredient, and according to the vet, my cat was
probably very sensitive to the magnesium in fish and that sensitivity
manifested itself as high pH urine and crystals again.

So perhaps you should check the ingredients of your food, too. If it
has fish in it, be doubly careful, as Icarus may also be sensitive,
and that would help explain this recurrence!

Cat Protector
February 28th 08, 03:08 PM
Thanks. He's pretty happy to be back. He's had fish (tuna) in his diet
before and had no problems. According to my vet he needs constant moisture.
He's tried the high quality food with no fish in it and still had this
happen. My vet says that I need to stick to the Science Diet S/D or else he
says this could very well happen again. As much as I've butted heads with my
vet on the diet (because most vets sell Hills) I guess I'll try it his way
for a while. I'm also going to cook Icarus's food from time to time as well.


"Rona Y." > wrote in message
...
On Feb 28, 12:20 pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> For those that are interested, Icarus is now back from the vet and doing
> much better. He's going to have to be on a special diet and his water and
> moisture consumption increased. He's also on medication and is being
> closely
> watched to ensure he doesn't get another blockage. He was so happy to be
> home and gave the vet quite a run for their money especially since they
> said
> it was hard to get close to him without him hissing and spitting.
> According
> to the vet he was like a tiger and wasn't going to take any crap from the
> vet even though they were trying to help.
>
> Icarus was so glad to finally be home and had a special treat and went to
> sleep. Although Isis enjoyed having me all to herself she still welcomed
> him
> home and now everything seems pretty normal.

Glad he's back. Another thing to consider...

When my cat had her blockages a few years ago, after going off the
prescription diet, she continued eating a high-quality canned food.
She was fine on that diet for several weeks, but while she was at her
cat sitter's, she ran out of her usual food, so the sitter (with my
permission) gave her another type of high-quality food that she
normally gives her own cats.

She ended right back at the vet's. Why? Because the new food had
fish as a main ingredient, and according to the vet, my cat was
probably very sensitive to the magnesium in fish and that sensitivity
manifested itself as high pH urine and crystals again.

So perhaps you should check the ingredients of your food, too. If it
has fish in it, be doubly careful, as Icarus may also be sensitive,
and that would help explain this recurrence!

mc
February 28th 08, 03:15 PM
My kitty Max just went through the surgery for this. It is not pretty.
My veterinarian had prescribed Hills C/D and he still continued to
have problems. Because of the very good advice on this board, I
switched my cats to canned food. They no longer get any hard food.

I think vets are thinking about all of this from a very scientific
point of view. The cat food industry has probably spent millions of
dollars in research as well. Certainly, some dry foods have made some
progress over all these years.

In the past I had not even considered feeding my cats anything but a
high grade dry food. So many vets recommend dry food as well. The
thing that really convinced me though... I hope this helps... Before
Max had to go have the surgery done, when he had come from the vets on
an occassion, he was peeing a lot in the litter box on the day he came
home. The very next day I noticed a lot less urine in the litter box
as he was back on the hard food at that time. He developed problems
again within a week or two, and then had to go back for the surgery.

Long story short, read those good articles that some of folks sent you
on this thread. Dry food dehydrates our cats. It makes sense... What
do you think would happen if we humans ate food of a similar
consistency? We would dehydrate, too... we would have to drink an
awful lot of water to make up for the lack of it in our food.

The transition to get them over to soft food is easier than one might
think - there are several ways to do it pretty easily. I won't go into
that here.

Thanks so much, I hope you get to see this. I don't mean to offend. I
am just saying that sometimes it is hard to seperate all the truth
from the lies, so to speak.

Thanks,
Melissa

mc
February 28th 08, 03:16 PM
My kitty Max just went through the surgery for this. It is not pretty.
My veterinarian had prescribed Hills C/D and he still continued to
have problems. Because of the very good advice on this board, I
switched my cats to canned food. They no longer get any hard food.

I think vets are thinking about all of this from a very scientific
point of view. The cat food industry has probably spent millions of
dollars in research as well. Certainly, some dry foods have made some
progress over all these years.

In the past I had not even considered feeding my cats anything but a
high grade dry food. So many vets recommend dry food as well. The
thing that really convinced me though... I hope this helps... Before
Max had to go have the surgery done, when he had come from the vets on
an occassion, he was peeing a lot in the litter box on the day he came
home. The very next day I noticed a lot less urine in the litter box
as he was back on the hard food at that time. He developed problems
again within a week or two, and then had to go back for the surgery.

Long story short, read those good articles that some of folks sent you
on this thread. Dry food dehydrates our cats. It makes sense... What
do you think would happen if we humans ate food of a similar
consistency? We would dehydrate, too... we would have to drink an
awful lot of water to make up for the lack of it in our food.

The transition to get them over to soft food is easier than one might
think - there are several ways to do it pretty easily. I won't go into
that here.

Thanks so much, I hope you get to see this. I don't mean to offend. I
am just saying that sometimes it is hard to seperate all the truth
from the lies, so to speak.

Thanks,
Melissa

Rene S.
February 28th 08, 08:08 PM
> Long story short, read those good articles that some of folks sent you
> on this thread. Dry food dehydrates our cats. It makes sense... What
> do you think would happen if we humans ate food of a similar
> consistency? We would dehydrate, too... we would have to drink an
> awful lot of water to make up for the lack of it in our food.
>
> The transition to get them over to soft food is easier than one might
> think - there are several ways to do it pretty easily. I won't go into
> that here.
>
> Thanks so much, I hope you get to see this. I don't mean to offend. I
> am just saying that sometimes it is hard to seperate all the truth
> from the lies, so to speak.

Thank you for posting this Melissa. I agree completely with everything
you've written. I also don't put much stock in the prescription food.
I've trusted vets nutrition "advice" before and had horrible results.
I hope CP will read the articles and book I posted above and NOT feed
any more dry, prescription or otherwise.

mc
February 28th 08, 09:04 PM
Thank you Rene, thanks so much. I even think I am seeing other
improvements in Max now that they are on soft food. I am really happy
that I made the switch. I will post later with an update on Max... and
will write more about it.

You have been very supportive and helpful ;-)

THANK YOU! ;-)

Cat Protector
February 29th 08, 03:10 AM
Thanks. I'm so happy to have him home now. He does however hate the special
diet the vet has him on and also having to take his pills.

"cindys" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> ...
>> For those that are interested, Icarus is now back from the vet and doing
>> much better. He's going to have to be on a special diet and his water and
>> moisture consumption increased. He's also on medication and is being
>> closely watched to ensure he doesn't get another blockage. He was so
>> happy to be home and gave the vet quite a run for their money especially
>> since they said it was hard to get close to him without him hissing and
>> spitting. According to the vet he was like a tiger and wasn't going to
>> take any crap from the vet even though they were trying to help.
>>
>> Icarus was so glad to finally be home and had a special treat and went to
>> sleep. Although Isis enjoyed having me all to herself she still welcomed
>> him home and now everything seems pretty normal.
> --------
> This is wonderful news! I had been wondering how Icarus was doing.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>

Cat Protector
February 29th 08, 05:42 AM
He actually has to take 4 pills a day as well. Luckily, 3 out of 4 are very
small.


"cindys" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Thanks. I'm so happy to have him home now. He does however hate the
>> special diet the vet has him on and also having to take his pills.
> ----------
> I don't know how many pills Icarus is taking, but Bullwinkle takes four
> pills in the morning and three at night. To make this a little less
> unpleasant, our vet gave us some empty capsules. In the morning, I stuff
> all the morning pills into the one capsule, and that way, Bullwinkle only
> needs to swallow once instead of four times. I do the same in the evening.
> I follow up with a little soft food. He still hates the pills, but at
> least he only has to swallow once instead of multiple times.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>
>
>>
>> "cindys" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>>
>>> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>> ...
>>>> For those that are interested, Icarus is now back from the vet and
>>>> doing much better. He's going to have to be on a special diet and his
>>>> water and moisture consumption increased. He's also on medication and
>>>> is being closely watched to ensure he doesn't get another blockage. He
>>>> was so happy to be home and gave the vet quite a run for their money
>>>> especially since they said it was hard to get close to him without him
>>>> hissing and spitting. According to the vet he was like a tiger and
>>>> wasn't going to take any crap from the vet even though they were trying
>>>> to help.
>>>>
>>>> Icarus was so glad to finally be home and had a special treat and went
>>>> to sleep. Although Isis enjoyed having me all to herself she still
>>>> welcomed him home and now everything seems pretty normal.
>>> --------
>>> This is wonderful news! I had been wondering how Icarus was doing.
>>> Best regards,
>>> ---Cindy S.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

Rona Y.
February 29th 08, 11:52 AM
On Feb 29, 12:08*am, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Thanks. He's pretty happy to be back. He's had fish (tuna) in his diet
> before and had no problems.

Yes, but just as humans can "suddenly" develop allergies or
sensitivities to things they were fine with in the past (I seem to
have developed a pollen allergy in the last year!), other animals can,
as well. Kitty used to eat an assortment of flavours, including fish-
flavoured foods, too, but clearly she can't anymore. Just something
to keep in mind.

My vet would also prefer Kitty to stay on a prescription diet, but
when I mentioned other canned foods that claim to maintain the desired
pH level of urine (I can't remember what it is off-hand), she seemed
to think it would be OK to try, but she insisted I be around
constantly to monitor Kitty's urine production. That won't happen for
another year, so Kitty's staying on prescription for now.

We also water down her food a bit to add more fluid to her diet. It's
helpful, too, because it takes her longer to eat now. She's quite a
pig, and in the past could finish her plate of food in less than a
minute! It has increased our kitty litter costs, though. She pees
like the devil!