PDA

View Full Version : Common Foods Harmful to Pets

Huso
February 25th 08, 06:01 PM
Common Foods Harmful to Pets

As responsible pet owners we must be diligent about protecting our
pets from harm. Besides taking care of their basic safety needs and
seeing that they get regular veterinary care, this should also include
closely monitoring the foods they eat. This is especially true if you
are feeding your dog or cat any type of human food.

Some people have always given their pets human food as a treat in
addition to their own dog or cat chow. However, in light of the recent
pet food recalls throughout the United States and some other regions,
many pet parents are opting to make their own, completely forgoing
commercially made pet foods.

While this may offer peace of mind for some, it may not be safe
without knowing what foods you can and can't give to your pet, as well
as learning their exact nutritional needs.

Before you head to the cupboard or pantry to prepare your pet's next
meal, make it a point to learn what foods and products may actually do
your dog or cat more harm than good.

Common foods that are harmful to pets include:

* Chocolate
* Coffee, caffeine
* Alcohol
* Xylitol
* Grapes
* Raisins
* Avocados
* Macadamia nuts
* Onions
* Garlic
* Chives
* Milk
* Raw or undercooked meat
* Raw eggs
* Bones
* Yeast dough

Many people may be surprised to see milk on the list of foods that can
be harmful to our pets. Although they may like the taste, cats and
dogs, unlike most humans, do not have enough lactase, which is the
enzyme needed to break down the lactose in milk. Milk, as well as
other milk-based dairy products, may cause digestive difficulties in
pets, particularly dogs. Diarrhea, upset stomach, and even vomiting
can occur, especially in younger pets, after drinking milk.

Xylitol, an artificial sweetener commonly used in products labeled
"sugar-free," is extremely harmful to animals, especially dogs,
although perfectly safe for human consumption. Xylitol, which causes
an excess of insulin production in most types of animals possibly
leading to liver failure, can be found in snacks such as baked goods,
candy, gum, and even in certain toothpastes.

Warning signs of xylitol poisoning include:

* Vomiting
* Lethargy
* Loss of muscle coordination
* Seizures

If you think that your dog or cat may have eaten something toxic,
immediately contact your veterinarian or your local poison control
center without delay.

for more:
Pet Health Care Tips
http://PetHealthCareTips.blogspot.com

cybercat
February 25th 08, 08:30 PM
"Huso" > wrote in message
> Common Foods Harmful to Pets
>
> As responsible pet owners we must be diligent about protecting our
> pets from harm.

Will you please stop posting the same thing over and over again?

February 25th 08, 09:48 PM
On Feb 25, 12:30*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Huso" > wrote in message

> > Common Foods Harmful to Pets
>
> > As responsible pet owners we must be diligent about protecting our
> > pets from harm.
>
> Will you please stop posting the same thing over and over again?

Not to mention...wrong! This seems to be cross posting everywhere
including Yahoo Groups. I'm just copy and pasting my response. See
below:

I do not know where you are getting your information but I have to
disagree with this sort of "blanket" statement. While I agree most of
these foods should not be given to pets some of these that are
included on your "harmful" list are actually quite beneficial!

I personally feed a totally raw food diet to my 3 cats. Six months
ago my furkids were lethargic, their coats and eyes dull looking, they
shed horribly and I was having a HUGE problem with them getting sick
and taking forever to get better. One of my kids was even diagnosed
with feline leukemia and the vet wanted to put her down.

Heartsick, I started searching for ways to help her and after 2
allopathic vets said they couldn't help her I started researching
holistic options. To make a long story short, I did a lot of research
into the feline diet and found that nutritionally, a raw diet is far
superior to any cooked or canned food diet out there. Basically,
cooking the meat destroys beneficial nutrients that pets require.

"Despite the domestication of these animals, they still have exactly
the same digestive tract as their wild cousins, whose main diet
consists of animal carcasses . Nature intended dogs and cats to eat a
raw, natural diet, which primarily consists of meat. Pets have
survived for thousands of years without processed foods." Raw
Connnections http://www.raw- connections. com/

I found out later through a wonderful, holistic vet that my girl in
fact did NOT have FeLV. She was fading due to bad nutrition! I
started feeding raw (including raw eggs!) to all my cats and VIOLA!
they are now absolutely GORGEOUS, active and healthy. Their coats are
super shiny and soft as silk. They are not shedding nearly as much
and their eyes are bright as shiny new pennies. My furkids range
between 8 and 14 years of age and all of them are bouncing around like
kittens! I will never go back to cooked-to-death and preserved
(poisoned) to death commercial food again.

Here's more links to learn about raw vs. cooked: http://www.netpets.
com/dogs/ reference/ food/cookorraw. html
http://pets. groups.yahoo. com/group/ rawpaws/

I also have to disagree with the garlic, it has been proved that in
moderation it is extremely useful in controlling fleas, allergies and
other parasites. It is a powerful antibacterial. Links: http://www.angelfir
e.com/me/ debear/pets. html
http://www.petspour ri.com/eng_ nov03_05. htm

Debbie and furkids,