PDA

View Full Version : Espy and the Roomba


dgk
February 27th 08, 12:47 PM
I finally broke down and bought a Roomba (automatic vacuum). The first
thing I have to do is find a clear spot against a wall, plug in the
docking station, and let the Roomba charge for 16 hours or so. Once it
starts charging, you aren't supposed to do anything with it until it's
done.

No more than five minutes after it starts charging, I hear a tinkling
sound. Espy has pressed the start button and the Roomba is heading off
across the floor. I put it back in the docking station. Espy starts it
up again. I move it under a low chair so Espy can't get at it.

I predict tough times ahead for the Roomba.

cybercat
February 27th 08, 06:30 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
...
>I finally broke down and bought a Roomba (automatic vacuum). The first
> thing I have to do is find a clear spot against a wall, plug in the
> docking station, and let the Roomba charge for 16 hours or so. Once it
> starts charging, you aren't supposed to do anything with it until it's
> done.
>
> No more than five minutes after it starts charging, I hear a tinkling
> sound. Espy has pressed the start button and the Roomba is heading off
> across the floor. I put it back in the docking station. Espy starts it
> up again. I move it under a low chair so Espy can't get at it.
>
> I predict tough times ahead for the Roomba.

HAHAHA!!!

mc
February 27th 08, 06:54 PM
That is really cute ;-)

T
February 27th 08, 08:25 PM
In article >,
says...
> I finally broke down and bought a Roomba (automatic vacuum). The first
> thing I have to do is find a clear spot against a wall, plug in the
> docking station, and let the Roomba charge for 16 hours or so. Once it
> starts charging, you aren't supposed to do anything with it until it's
> done.
>
> No more than five minutes after it starts charging, I hear a tinkling
> sound. Espy has pressed the start button and the Roomba is heading off
> across the floor. I put it back in the docking station. Espy starts it
> up again. I move it under a low chair so Espy can't get at it.
>
> I predict tough times ahead for the Roomba.
>

Congratulations on purchashing what will become a $300 cat toy. I don't
know if they still make them but those little Zip-Zap cars were
favorites of my cats.

dgk
February 27th 08, 08:51 PM
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:25:55 -0500, T >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> I finally broke down and bought a Roomba (automatic vacuum). The first
>> thing I have to do is find a clear spot against a wall, plug in the
>> docking station, and let the Roomba charge for 16 hours or so. Once it
>> starts charging, you aren't supposed to do anything with it until it's
>> done.
>>
>> No more than five minutes after it starts charging, I hear a tinkling
>> sound. Espy has pressed the start button and the Roomba is heading off
>> across the floor. I put it back in the docking station. Espy starts it
>> up again. I move it under a low chair so Espy can't get at it.
>>
>> I predict tough times ahead for the Roomba.
>>
>
>Congratulations on purchashing what will become a $300 cat toy. I don't
>know if they still make them but those little Zip-Zap cars were
>favorites of my cats.

No no, it was something like $120 from Woot. A refurb. Still, more
expensive than the Panic Mouse.

dgk
February 28th 08, 01:43 PM
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:43:04 -0800 (PST), hopitus
> wrote:

>On Feb 27, 5:47 am, dgk > wrote:
>> I finally broke down and bought a Roomba (automatic vacuum). The first
>> thing I have to do is find a clear spot against a wall, plug in the
>> docking station, and let the Roomba charge for 16 hours or so. Once it
>> starts charging, you aren't supposed to do anything with it until it's
>> done.
>>
>> No more than five minutes after it starts charging, I hear a tinkling
>> sound. Espy has pressed the start button and the Roomba is heading off
>> across the floor. I put it back in the docking station. Espy starts it
>> up again. I move it under a low chair so Espy can't get at it.
>>
>> I predict tough times ahead for the Roomba.
>
>All of my cats are terrified of an iRobot (Rooma-type) vac I rarely
>use.
>It was a gift. The only other item that generates more "quick-hide-
>under-
>our-usual-safe-harbor-bed" action is the much noisier "Animal" model
>Dyson, which the very sight of it coming out of its closet home will
>cause instant cat-shortage nearby. I love the Dyson, a quality machine
>indeed (bless that genius English dude) and its talent for ripping cat
>fur out of the carpet, but I can't see my cats *ever* playing with
>either one.


Day one is over and the Roomba has emerged triumphant. It cleaned the
dining room while Espy tried to emulate a large piece of cat hair,
quite well actually. The Roomba chased him around, Espy occasionally
offering a counter-attack. Finally he just got out of the way and
watched it.

Nipsy and Marlo watched from the safety of the living room. I didn't
use the virtual walls though, lacking the requisite number of "D"
cells. I just put a few things in the way to block Roomba from
entering the dining room, such as some of their scratching posts. I
went off to a community meeting (topic: how to challenge your property
assessment - short answer: don't bother) and when I came back, Roomba
had returned to its home and was happily recharging.

I felt comfortable enough to start it up this morning and let it clean
the dining room while I headed off to work. Having appropriated some
rechargeable "D" cells, I'll put Roomba in the living room tonight and
see how it does in a more hectic area.

Oddly enough, and without any commercial involvment on my part, today
www.woot.com is offering the same model that I bought for the same
price ($100 with shipping). It really does seem like a good toy for
someone who hates both dust and vacuuming, and has cats. I might pick
up another one for upstaris. I really haven't read a bad review, which
is why I finally broke down and got one.

cybercat
February 28th 08, 04:43 PM
"dgk" > wrote
> Day one is over and the Roomba has emerged triumphant. It cleaned the
> dining room while Espy tried to emulate a large piece of cat hair,
> quite well actually. The Roomba chased him around, Espy occasionally
> offering a counter-attack. Finally he just got out of the way and
> watched it.
>

Oh come on now, you KNOW you need to vid this!

dgk
February 28th 08, 08:24 PM
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:43:51 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>
>"dgk" > wrote
>> Day one is over and the Roomba has emerged triumphant. It cleaned the
>> dining room while Espy tried to emulate a large piece of cat hair,
>> quite well actually. The Roomba chased him around, Espy occasionally
>> offering a counter-attack. Finally he just got out of the way and
>> watched it.
>>
>
>Oh come on now, you KNOW you need to vid this!
>

I don't really have a decent video camera. But just thinking about it
made me figure that someone must have a cat/roomba vid on the web, and
sure enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoGQE0u1P9E

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/roomba-cam-vs-cat/2772581724

http://www.truveo.com/Keilani-versus-Roomba/id/925254071

That last one is a kid, not a cat, but the outcome is the same.

I can't see UTube from work but there are probably quite a few similar
videos.

Stan Brown
February 29th 08, 03:31 AM
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:43:21 -0500 from dgk >:
> Oddly enough, and without any commercial involvment on my part, today
> www.woot.com is offering the same model that I bought for the same
> price ($100 with shipping). It really does seem like a good toy for
> someone who hates both dust and vacuuming, and has cats. I might pick
> up another one for upstaris. I really haven't read a bad review, which
> is why I finally broke down and got one.

It's just for bare floor, right? I have carpeting on maybe 3/4 or an
inch of padding; only the edges of the rooms are bare floor.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

dgk
February 29th 08, 01:42 PM
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 22:31:21 -0500, Stan Brown
> wrote:

>Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:43:21 -0500 from dgk >:
>> Oddly enough, and without any commercial involvment on my part, today
>> www.woot.com is offering the same model that I bought for the same
>> price ($100 with shipping). It really does seem like a good toy for
>> someone who hates both dust and vacuuming, and has cats. I might pick
>> up another one for upstaris. I really haven't read a bad review, which
>> is why I finally broke down and got one.
>
>It's just for bare floor, right? I have carpeting on maybe 3/4 or an
>inch of padding; only the edges of the rooms are bare floor.

No, they're for carpeting too, just not shag. I have no experience
with them on a carpet, but I've read that they're ok. They can even
shift from one surface to another.

I did buy a second one before Woot sold out yesterday.

It's going to make us change the way the house is though. More stuff
must find a permanent home on the shelves or find its way to the curb.
The floor must be cleared for Roomba.

I let it loose in the living room yesterday. Espy still chased it
around. Marlo finally got comfortable enough to walk near it. Nipsy
(the wuss) came down the stairs and watched from the landing. It did
get stuck under the couch once. The couch separates the living room
from a small area where I tend to keep too much stuff on the floor,
and Roomba got stuck between a couch leg and some paper for recycling.
I need to clean that area up too.

Anything that forces us to get crap off the floor is good.

cybercat
February 29th 08, 06:41 PM
"dgk" > wrote
>
> I don't really have a decent video camera. But just thinking about it
> made me figure that someone must have a cat/roomba vid on the web, and
> sure enough:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoGQE0u1P9E
>
> http://video.aol.com/video-detail/roomba-cam-vs-cat/2772581724
>
> http://www.truveo.com/Keilani-versus-Roomba/id/925254071
>

These are funny. I love the one with the fat calico who is obviously
not the sharpest little knife in the drawer. :) The roomba goes under
the couch at one point and comes out at another, and he is still staring
at where it went in, waiting for *that* roomba to come out!

I want a roomba!

Stan Brown
March 1st 08, 07:44 PM
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:42:17 -0500 from dgk >:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 22:31:21 -0500, Stan Brown
> > wrote:
> >It's just for bare floor, right? I have carpeting on maybe 3/4 or an
> >inch of padding; only the edges of the rooms are bare floor.
>
> No, they're for carpeting too, just not shag. I have no experience
> with them on a carpet, but I've read that they're ok. They can even
> shift from one surface to another.

Thanks.

> I let it loose in the living room yesterday. Espy still chased it
> around. Marlo finally got comfortable enough to walk near it. Nipsy
> (the wuss) came down the stairs and watched from the landing.

I would love to see that! For some reason, cats are at their funniest
to me when they're having one of those "what the F***??" moments.

If the person is still here who posted about the older cat that
sleeps all the time and doesn't take any exercise, maybe a Roomba is
the answer!

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...