PDA

View Full Version : Cat weight

Ken[_3_]
February 27th 08, 03:36 PM
How can you tell when your dieting cat has reached its normal weight? My
bathroom scale is not very accurate and I have no idea what she should
weigh anyway. Also, she was very overweight (17#) and has a lot of
leftover loose heavy skin making it difficult to judge her weight by her
outline.

TIA

Rene S.
February 27th 08, 05:09 PM
On Feb 27, 9:36*am, Ken > wrote:
> How can you tell when your dieting cat has reached its normal weight? My
> bathroom scale is not very accurate and I have no idea what she should
> weigh anyway. Also, she was very overweight (17#) and has a lot of
> leftover loose heavy skin making it difficult to judge her weight by her
> outline.
>
> TIA

Look at her from above (while she's standing). Her sides should go
*slightly* in (hourglass figure) and you should be able to feel her
ribs.

cybercat
February 27th 08, 06:29 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
On Feb 27, 9:36 am, Ken > wrote:
> How can you tell when your dieting cat has reached its normal weight? My
> bathroom scale is not very accurate and I have no idea what she should
> weigh anyway. Also, she was very overweight (17#) and has a lot of
> leftover loose heavy skin making it difficult to judge her weight by her
> outline.
>
> TIA

>Look at her from above (while she's standing). Her >sides should
>go*slightly* in (hourglass figure) and you >should be able to feel her
>ribs.

If you can feel the vertebrae in her back she is probably too thin. It's a
really good idea to take your girl to the vet, after a big weight loss. For
$40 you can stop worrying. They'll weigh her, examine her, and congratulate
you on your hard work!

Rene S.
February 27th 08, 06:39 PM
> If you can feel the vertebrae in her back she is probably too thin. It's a
> really good idea to take your girl to the vet, after a big weight loss. For
> $40 you can stop worrying. They'll weigh her, examine her, and congratulate
> you on your hard work!

Also a good idea. Can't hurt to take her in.

cybercat
February 27th 08, 07:04 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
>> If you can feel the vertebrae in her back she is probably too thin. It's
>> really good idea to take your girl to the vet, after a big weight loss.
>> For
>> $40 you can stop worrying. They'll weigh her, examine her, and
>> congratulate
>> you on your hard work!
>
> Also a good idea. Can't hurt to take her in.

Vets love to see successful weight loss. I think they have lots of owners
with fat cats who think it is "cute" and don't realize how tough it is on
the cat.

yngver
March 3rd 08, 07:38 PM
On Feb 27, 9:36 am, Ken > wrote:
> How can you tell when your dieting cat has reached its normal weight? My
> bathroom scale is not very accurate and I have no idea what she should
> weigh anyway. Also, she was very overweight (17#) and has a lot of
> leftover loose heavy skin making it difficult to judge her weight by her
> outline.
>
> TIA

We bought a baby scale and weigh the cats once a week. That way we can
keep track of who is losing and who is gaining.
-yngver