PDA

View Full Version : Q abt water fountains

ensoul
February 27th 08, 11:32 PM
Do you think cats really need them? Is just hype as in getting pet
ppl to buy useless thinks like all those fancy dog outfits that have
real jeweled collars

or is there really a need for them? My guys share a water bowl but
food dishes are separate and they drink out of the tiolet. I keep the
seat down for 24 hrs after cleaning it

I used to have one and they loved it but I had big problem getting
filters for it, gave it to my daughter and I got a different model,
globe shaped...was rated high on amazon but awful to use, akward,
noisey, water every where

lynn

I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see.
~Lewis Carroll

mlbriggs
February 28th 08, 12:30 AM
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:32:56 -0800, ensoul wrote:

> Do you think cats really need them? Is just hype as in getting pet ppl to
> buy useless thinks like all those fancy dog outfits that have real jeweled
> collars
>
> or is there really a need for them? My guys share a water bowl but food
> dishes are separate and they drink out of the tiolet. I keep the seat down
> for 24 hrs after cleaning it
>
> I used to have one and they loved it but I had big problem getting filters
> for it, gave it to my daughter and I got a different model, globe
> shaped...was rated high on amazon but awful to use, akward, noisey, water
> every where
>
> lynn
>

> I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see.
> ~Lewis Carroll

I have quit using mine also. I now put a large pan in the bath tub and
one in the shower stall. Easier and less water sp;ashing all over.

ensoul
February 28th 08, 02:14 AM

> I have quit using mine also. �I now put a large pan in the bath tub and
> one in the shower stall. �Easier and less water sp;ashing all over..- Hide quoted text -

The way Moe & Rudy shed the bathtub would be an awful mess...I'm lucky
having sliding doors across the tub though they can drive me nuts when
they start wacking at the doors with their paws making one hell of a
racket

lynn

I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I
need to be.
~Douglas Adams

Noon Cat Nick
February 28th 08, 03:23 AM
ensoul wrote:

> Do you think cats really need them? Is just hype as in getting pet
> ppl to buy useless thinks like all those fancy dog outfits that have
> real jeweled collars
>
> or is there really a need for them? My guys share a water bowl but
> food dishes are separate and they drink out of the tiolet. I keep the
> seat down for 24 hrs after cleaning it
>
> I used to have one and they loved it but I had big problem getting
> filters for it, gave it to my daughter and I got a different model,
> globe shaped...was rated high on amazon but awful to use, akward,
> noisey, water every where

They don't need 'em. If the cats are hung up on fountain drinks, let 'em
drink outa the faucet. Really, all you need to do is make sure they get
fresh water daily.

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
February 28th 08, 05:44 PM
My cat loves his fountain - he used both the Drinkwell and Catit but seems to
get more enjoyment out of the Catit. He drinks from both the globe and the
bowl. If you experiment with adjusting the globe slightly, you'll find a
position where it just emits a gentle hum. There are mats you can buy for the
Catit which should catch the water. I do find water on the mat sometimes, I
think it's when Max laps the very top of the globe. Only problem I have found
is that pump gets blocked frequently despite my using filters, so I take it
apart every time I clean the fountain.

ensoul wrote:
>Do you think cats really need them? Is just hype as in getting pet
>ppl to buy useless thinks like all those fancy dog outfits that have
>real jeweled collars
>
>or is there really a need for them? My guys share a water bowl but
>food dishes are separate and they drink out of the tiolet. I keep the
>seat down for 24 hrs after cleaning it
>
>I used to have one and they loved it but I had big problem getting
>filters for it, gave it to my daughter and I got a different model,
>globe shaped...was rated high on amazon but awful to use, akward,
>noisey, water every where
>
>lynn
>
>I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see.
> ~Lewis Carroll

February 28th 08, 06:04 PM
"Noon Cat Nick" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s22...
> ensoul wrote:
>
>Really, all you need to do is make sure they get fresh water daily.

"Catlover Medway via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My cat loves his fountain - he used both the Drinkwell and Catit but seems
> get more enjoyment out of the Catit.

My Gracie loves her little ... I don't know what you call it, but it is a
little tank on top of a shallow dish that has a mechanism whereby water
flows out of the tank when it gets low in the dish?

It goes "glug glug glug" and she finds this highly fascinating.

:D

I put it down when I went away for a week as I did not really
trust my husband to change her water as much as I would like.

It is in an out-of -the-way spot so he would not be needlessly insulted.
She seems to think it is her own secret spring and that I do not know
about it. She is surprised when I fill it, rolls her little eyes and waits
for the other shoe to drop. :)

I suspect it makes her drink more, because she likes to make it go
"glug glug glug." I hear it, and look, and there she is, staring as though
the tank is prey. hahaha. She kills me.

dgk
February 28th 08, 08:37 PM
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:32:56 -0800 (PST), ensoul >
wrote:

>Do you think cats really need them? Is just hype as in getting pet
>ppl to buy useless thinks like all those fancy dog outfits that have
>real jeweled collars
>
>or is there really a need for them? My guys share a water bowl but
>food dishes are separate and they drink out of the tiolet. I keep the
>seat down for 24 hrs after cleaning it
>
>I used to have one and they loved it but I had big problem getting
>filters for it, gave it to my daughter and I got a different model,
>globe shaped...was rated high on amazon but awful to use, akward,
>noisey, water every where
>
>lynn
>

>I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see.
> ~Lewis Carroll

I have the Petmate fountain and one cat uses it all the time, one
ignores it, and one likes playing with it but doesn't seem to realize
that you can drink from it. The filters are a few bucks each and last
for a month or more. It seems like a good deal.

yngver
March 3rd 08, 07:36 PM
On Feb 27, 5:32 pm, ensoul > wrote:
> Do you think cats really need them? Is just hype as in getting pet
> ppl to buy useless thinks like all those fancy dog outfits that have
> real jeweled collars
>
> or is there really a need for them? My guys share a water bowl but
> food dishes are separate and they drink out of the tiolet. I keep the
> seat down for 24 hrs after cleaning it
>
> I used to have one and they loved it but I had big problem getting
> filters for it, gave it to my daughter and I got a different model,
> globe shaped...was rated high on amazon but awful to use, akward,
> noisey, water every where
>
> lynn

They don't need the fountains, but our cats like the Drinkwell so we
have one. They sell the filters at Petsmart so I never had a problem
getting them. Of course, you don't really have to use filters. I fill
up the Drinkwell from our Brita pitcher so the water is already
filtered, so if the filters were hard for us to find, we just wouldn't
use them.

I would not say the fountains are useless because for some cats they
encourage them to drink more water. Cats are not efficient drinkers--
in the wild they would meet a lot of their water needs from the water
content of prey they eat. If a cat is being fed dry food, they may not
be drinking enough water to prevent urinary tract problems.

The other problem we have with just leaving around bowls of water is
that one of the cats tends to dunk her toys in them and leave them
there. She doesn't do that with a fountain.

I guess the point is that if you think your cats are getting enough
water from a water dish and the toilet, you don't need to have a
fountain. Of course our cats don't need all the cat toys they have
either but we indulge them.
-yngver