PDA

View Full Version : OMG the shedding!

ensoul
February 28th 08, 12:57 AM
The boys had to be shaved before, Moe & Rudy got thick clumps of fur
you couldn't get through...I was lucky the SPCA did for a donation
which was a lot less than the local groomers charge (I don't want them
groomed again, they went into major attack mode afterwards and had to
be kept in separate rooms for a month)!

so now no more clumps. they get brushed at least 2x a day and the
brush is full...a friend let me borrow this fine comb that was on a TV
ad, it worked but just as good as the brush does

My chair looked like it was part cat! A friend told me how to fix it,
get bucket put laundry soap use a stiff brush and stoke downwards the
fur that comes off! I do on the floor to using a mop and dragging it
forward then peeling the strings of fur off

my grandson's and my stuffed animals looked like they were becoming
cats, I used a dishrag w/the laundry soap

but I have a disability in both arms and it's painful doing all this -
I don't mean brushing them - that's not a problem

Is there anything at all I can do to cut down on the shedding?
(They're indoor guys and neutered) There's always these little things
of cat fur flying around, it's everywhere

What's the best vacuum for pet fur?

ensoul

I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up
something else.
~Lily Tomlin

mlbriggs
February 28th 08, 01:58 AM
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:57:03 -0800, ensoul wrote:

> The boys had to be shaved before, Moe & Rudy got thick clumps of fur you
> couldn't get through...I was lucky the SPCA did for a donation which was a
> lot less than the local groomers charge (I don't want them groomed again,
> they went into major attack mode afterwards and had to be kept in separate
> rooms for a month)!
>
> so now no more clumps. they get brushed at least 2x a day and the brush is
> full...a friend let me borrow this fine comb that was on a TV ad, it
> worked but just as good as the brush does
>
> My chair looked like it was part cat! A friend told me how to fix it, get
> bucket put laundry soap use a stiff brush and stoke downwards the fur that
> comes off! I do on the floor to using a mop and dragging it forward then
> peeling the strings of fur off
>
> my grandson's and my stuffed animals looked like they were becoming cats,
> I used a dishrag w/the laundry soap
>
> but I have a disability in both arms and it's painful doing all this - I
> don't mean brushing them - that's not a problem
>
> Is there anything at all I can do to cut down on the shedding? (They're
> indoor guys and neutered) There's always these little things of cat fur
> flying around, it's everywhere
>
> What's the best vacuum for pet fur?
>

> ensoul
>

> I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something
> else.
> ~Lily Tomlin

A change of diet probably would help. What do you feedthem?

ensoul
February 28th 08, 03:08 AM
> A change of diet probably would help. �What do you feedthem?- Hide quoted text -

they each get 1/2 can in the am and pm and 1/2 cup of dry in the am &
pm

canned is friskies or 9 lives

dry is Meow Mix, Whiskas, Purina Cat Chow, Kit & Kaboodle

Lynn

Spot[_2_]
February 28th 08, 06:24 AM
A good rubber brush works good for pulling fur off furniture. I found my
last one at the dollar store in the automotive section. Also a premium cat
food helps with the shedding.

Celeste
"ensoul" > wrote in message
> The boys had to be shaved before, Moe & Rudy got thick clumps of fur
> you couldn't get through...I was lucky the SPCA did for a donation
> which was a lot less than the local groomers charge (I don't want them
> groomed again, they went into major attack mode afterwards and had to
> be kept in separate rooms for a month)!
>
> so now no more clumps. they get brushed at least 2x a day and the
> brush is full...a friend let me borrow this fine comb that was on a TV
> ad, it worked but just as good as the brush does
>
> My chair looked like it was part cat! A friend told me how to fix it,
> get bucket put laundry soap use a stiff brush and stoke downwards the
> fur that comes off! I do on the floor to using a mop and dragging it
> forward then peeling the strings of fur off
>
> my grandson's and my stuffed animals looked like they were becoming
> cats, I used a dishrag w/the laundry soap
>
> but I have a disability in both arms and it's painful doing all this -
> I don't mean brushing them - that's not a problem
>
> Is there anything at all I can do to cut down on the shedding?
> (They're indoor guys and neutered) There's always these little things
> of cat fur flying around, it's everywhere
>
> What's the best vacuum for pet fur?
>

> ensoul
>

> I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up
> something else.
> ~Lily Tomlin

Rene S.
February 28th 08, 03:21 PM
> Is there anything at all I can do to cut down on the shedding?
> (They're indoor guys and neutered) *There's always these little things
> of cat fur flying around, it's everywhere
>
> What's the best vacuum for pet fur?

I really love the Furminator brush. It works great and gets the hair
out. You do need to use it at least once a week to fully cut down on
the shedding. I prefer a small shop vac for removing pet hair, or for
smaller areas a yellow Gonzo sponge (you can get at a pet store) that
you wipe across the fur.

As for their diet, I think a change to a premium wet food would help
them. I have two cats who are fed premium wet food and while I have
some shedding, it's nothing like you arre describing.

Rene

deja.blues[_2_]
February 29th 08, 03:22 AM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
> A change of diet probably would help. ?What do you feedthem?- Hide quoted
> text -
>
> they each get 1/2 can in the am and pm and 1/2 cup of dry in the am & pm

>canned is friskies or 9 lives

>dry is Meow Mix, Whiskas, Purina Cat Chow, Kit & Kaboodle

They would likely benefit from a better diet. You live in a cold climate.
Are you keeping your house too warm?
My cats all have thick heavy winter coats and I don't expect them to shed
until spring.
Try one of those rubber grooming gloves if you have hand mobility issues.