PDA

View Full Version : Cat off the leather sofa

February 28th 08, 06:03 PM
I am about to buy a new leather sofa and I don't want my cat to ruin
it by scratching it to pieces. I know that they sell some sprays for
this purpose. The problem is that I live in a studio apartment.
I do not want something that is so strong that my cat will be
uncomfortable in the apartment. I just want to keep him off a
particular piece of furniture. Can anyone recommend a product that is
effective, but not overly strong. Thank you

cybercat
February 28th 08, 06:32 PM
> wrote in message
>I am about to buy a new leather sofa and I don't want my cat to ruin
> it by scratching it to pieces. I know that they sell some sprays for
> this purpose. The problem is that I live in a studio apartment.
> I do not want something that is so strong that my cat will be
> uncomfortable in the apartment. I just want to keep him off a
> particular piece of furniture. Can anyone recommend a product that is
> effective, but not overly strong. Thank you

They don't work. Get your cat one of these:

http://www.cosmicpet.com/scratchers.htm

And other scratchers, to give them something they would rather scratch than
your couch. Forget about those short little posts--get one tall enough for
the cat to stand up and stretch in order to scratch, that is what they love
in a vertical scratcher.

Once I got good scratchers my cats never went near my furniture again.

Other things: trim your cat's claws every couple of weeks. It is not hard if
you have someone to help you. (One person rolls the kitty in a towel so no
biting or scratching can happen, the other trims.)

Put a throw over your couch when you are not there.

And last but not least: have you HAD a leather couch? They are expensive and
uncomfortable. Just my 2 cents.

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
February 28th 08, 06:37 PM
Hi, there is a product called sticky paws but I agreed with Cybercat that
scratching is a natural behaviour and posts that will take a cat's full
weight, and height at full stretch need to be provided. And if puss can have
an activity centre that offers height and hiding places that would be great.

wrote:
>I am about to buy a new leather sofa and I don't want my cat to ruin
>it by scratching it to pieces. I know that they sell some sprays for
>this purpose. The problem is that I live in a studio apartment.
>I do not want something that is so strong that my cat will be
>uncomfortable in the apartment. I just want to keep him off a
>particular piece of furniture. Can anyone recommend a product that is
>effective, but not overly strong. Thank you

Stan Brown
February 29th 08, 04:33 AM
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:37:28 GMT from Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
<[email protected]>:
> Hi, there is a product called sticky paws but I agreed with Cybercat that
> scratching is a natural behaviour and posts that will take a cat's full
> weight, and height at full stretch need to be provided.

AIUI, it's not about scratching the nails, it's about stretching and
exercising.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

deja.blues[_2_]
February 29th 08, 06:06 AM
"Stan Brown" > wrote in message
t...
> Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:37:28 GMT from Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
> <[email protected]>:
>> Hi, there is a product called sticky paws but I agreed with Cybercat that
>> scratching is a natural behaviour and posts that will take a cat's full
>> weight, and height at full stretch need to be provided.
>
> AIUI, it's not about scratching the nails, it's about stretching and
> exercising.

Cats scratch to mark their territory. Scratching leaves visual
(scratchmarks) and scent cues (cats have scent glands in their paws).