PDA

View Full Version : New Kitten Worries

March 2nd 08, 07:53 PM
We bought a kitten at the weekend - a cute male black 7.5 week old.
We already have an 8 year old here so following advice found on the
net we are trying to keep them apart until they are used to each
other's scent etc.

Overnight we kept the kitten shut in a spare bedroom - room temp
heated and confortable and with his food, drink and a clean tray. He
cried (meowed) for quite sometime at first when we shut him in there
until he fell asleep. We popped out this morning and he was crying
again when we shut him in there.

His toiletting (poo) seems quite loose - worried he has mild diorrhea
but we don't know if that's normal for a cat this age?

Otherwise he seems quite healthy and friendly - he follows us around
most of the time and climbs all over us.

Just want a bit of reassurance that this is all normal!

Thanks all

Gail[_2_]
March 2nd 08, 08:40 PM
Do not give him milk. THis may cause diarrhea. You should bring a stool
sample to the vet to check for parasites. Young kittens often have worms.
Feed high quality canned kitten food.
Gail
> wrote in message
> We bought a kitten at the weekend - a cute male black 7.5 week old.
> We already have an 8 year old here so following advice found on the
> net we are trying to keep them apart until they are used to each
> other's scent etc.
>
> Overnight we kept the kitten shut in a spare bedroom - room temp
> heated and confortable and with his food, drink and a clean tray. He
> cried (meowed) for quite sometime at first when we shut him in there
> until he fell asleep. We popped out this morning and he was crying
> again when we shut him in there.
>
> His toiletting (poo) seems quite loose - worried he has mild diorrhea
> but we don't know if that's normal for a cat this age?
>
> Otherwise he seems quite healthy and friendly - he follows us around
> most of the time and climbs all over us.
>
> Just want a bit of reassurance that this is all normal!
>
> Thanks all

blkcatgal
March 2nd 08, 09:15 PM
Are you feeding him the same food that he was getting before you got him? A
change in food can cause loose stools. Also, he may need to be checked for
internal parasites. The crying is normal; afterall, he is in a strange
place. You may want to leave a radio with soft music on in the room.

Congratulations on adopting a black cat. Did you know that black cats are
the least adoptable cats? Good luck with your new kitty!

Sue
---
> wrote in message
> We bought a kitten at the weekend - a cute male black 7.5 week old.
> We already have an 8 year old here so following advice found on the
> net we are trying to keep them apart until they are used to each
> other's scent etc.
>
> Overnight we kept the kitten shut in a spare bedroom - room temp
> heated and confortable and with his food, drink and a clean tray. He
> cried (meowed) for quite sometime at first when we shut him in there
> until he fell asleep. We popped out this morning and he was crying
> again when we shut him in there.
>
> His toiletting (poo) seems quite loose - worried he has mild diorrhea
> but we don't know if that's normal for a cat this age?
>
> Otherwise he seems quite healthy and friendly - he follows us around
> most of the time and climbs all over us.
>
> Just want a bit of reassurance that this is all normal!
>
> Thanks all

March 3rd 08, 04:20 AM
In article >,
says...
> Are you feeding him the same food that he was getting before you got him? A
> change in food can cause loose stools. Also, he may need to be checked for
> internal parasites. The crying is normal; afterall, he is in a strange
> place. You may want to leave a radio with soft music on in the room.
>
> Congratulations on adopting a black cat. Did you know that black cats are
> the least adoptable cats? Good luck with your new kitty!
>
> Sue

I've heard that about black cats. I don't understand it. One of my
favorite cats was a little black cat named Emily. I miss her, as well as
Randy and Cosimo.

Angie is a sweet cat, but her personality is 180 degrees from the other
cats. She's coming around slow but sure though.

Gail[_2_]
March 3rd 08, 04:38 AM
I've always had a weakness for black cats, also. I once had 4 of them at
once. I used to confuse some of them and ran down the list of all four names
when calling them.
Gail
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >,
> says...
>> Are you feeding him the same food that he was getting before you got him?
>> change in food can cause loose stools. Also, he may need to be checked
>> for
>> internal parasites. The crying is normal; afterall, he is in a strange
>> place. You may want to leave a radio with soft music on in the room.
>>
>> Congratulations on adopting a black cat. Did you know that black cats
>> are
>> the least adoptable cats? Good luck with your new kitty!
>>
>> Sue
>>

> I've heard that about black cats. I don't understand it. One of my
> favorite cats was a little black cat named Emily. I miss her, as well as
> Randy and Cosimo.
>
> Angie is a sweet cat, but her personality is 180 degrees from the other
> cats. She's coming around slow but sure though.

deja.blues[_3_]
March 3rd 08, 05:03 AM
> wrote in message
> We bought a kitten at the weekend - a cute male black 7.5 week old.

Since you bought the kitten, didn't the breeder give you any information?

barb
March 3rd 08, 11:03 PM
I also just adopted a 6 month old black girl cat. I just mixed her in with
the 4 year old black cat who had been lonely for her best friend who had
died 2 years ago. A few hisses and they get along fine, now.

The kitten's stool was very loose and awfully stinky so I took her off
canned food and have just been giving her dry kitten food. Big improvement.
I will shortly be bringing in a stool sample to the vet.

Barb