PDA

View Full Version : Interstitial cystitis

balikitty
March 4th 08, 06:04 AM
Hi! I am new to this group. I have been a veterinary technician for 18
years. I have 32 cats, 1 dog, and horses. I do take in strays, as we
have a safe place for them to reside. My mother has 8 inside, and I
have 4 in my house, the rest are outdoors. They have the barn, and
also we have cat houses that we had built for them to go in and out at
their leisure. I ran across the posting that was done quite a while
back about feline interstitial cystitis. I have thought about this and
pondered if this could be one of my cats problems. I actually have
this rare disorder, that is what made me think of her having the same
troubles. We seem to have the same situation at any given time. I give
her a round of clavamox, it does seem to help. We have tested urine,
and found slight traces of blood, and therefore we treated for
infection. We did not find any bacteria, or if we have in the past it
has been a slight value. When she has a high symptom range, she will
urinate in the bathtub. This is where i grabbed the specimen, on more
than 1 occasion. The veterinarian dismissed the finding of small
traces of bacteria due to the urine being inside the bathtub, and had
probably lost some of its bacterial contents over a small duration of
time. I will have to put these 4 cats on the same type of dry food.
Not one of them will eat Purina one, urinary tract formula, and a few
will not touch Science Diet C/D. The posts i was reading became more
involved in someone who was challenging the person with the help to
this problem, and I became exhausted of sifting through the non-
informative ones. Does anyone recall any of this? My questions are,
what type of food, other than what I have mentioned above is good for
this condition. I also feed wet food 2 times a day. All are on cat
chow, and friskies canned food. In the past they have eaten (for a
number of years) Purina One, hairball and healthy weight formula. The
only one I can find now is the indoor-hairball and healthy weight
formula, and evidently something in this formula has changed, my cats
do not like this food anymore. Can anyone give me any and all
suggestions for this. I only give bottled water, I was fearing some
chemical in the water giving infections. We moved 3 years ago, and the
water here is filled with chlorine. I began giving bottled water
only. I will appreciate any products or rituals, supplements,
anything, to help her get through this. She seems to be feeling okay
right now, but she will flare up soon. Thank you so much for any help
or advice offered.

Gandalf
March 4th 08, 07:27 AM
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:04:54 -0800 (PST), balikitty
> wrote:

>Hi! I am new to this group. I have been a veterinary technician for 18
>years. I have 32 cats, 1 dog, and horses. I do take in strays, as we
>have a safe place for them to reside. My mother has 8 inside, and I
>have 4 in my house, the rest are outdoors. They have the barn, and
>also we have cat houses that we had built for them to go in and out at
>their leisure. I ran across the posting that was done quite a while
>back about feline interstitial cystitis. I have thought about this and
>pondered if this could be one of my cats problems. I actually have
>this rare disorder, that is what made me think of her having the same
>troubles. We seem to have the same situation at any given time. I give
>her a round of clavamox, it does seem to help. We have tested urine,
>and found slight traces of blood, and therefore we treated for
>infection. We did not find any bacteria, or if we have in the past it
>has been a slight value. When she has a high symptom range, she will
>urinate in the bathtub. This is where i grabbed the specimen, on more
>than 1 occasion. The veterinarian dismissed the finding of small
>traces of bacteria due to the urine being inside the bathtub, and had
>probably lost some of its bacterial contents over a small duration of
>time. I will have to put these 4 cats on the same type of dry food.
>Not one of them will eat Purina one, urinary tract formula, and a few
>will not touch Science Diet C/D. The posts i was reading became more
>involved in someone who was challenging the person with the help to
>this problem, and I became exhausted of sifting through the non-
>informative ones. Does anyone recall any of this? My questions are,
>what type of food, other than what I have mentioned above is good for
>this condition. I also feed wet food 2 times a day. All are on cat
>chow, and friskies canned food. In the past they have eaten (for a
>number of years) Purina One, hairball and healthy weight formula. The
>only one I can find now is the indoor-hairball and healthy weight
>formula, and evidently something in this formula has changed, my cats
>do not like this food anymore. Can anyone give me any and all
>suggestions for this. I only give bottled water, I was fearing some
>chemical in the water giving infections. We moved 3 years ago, and the
>water here is filled with chlorine. I began giving bottled water
>only. I will appreciate any products or rituals, supplements,
>anything, to help her get through this. She seems to be feeling okay
>right now, but she will flare up soon. Thank you so much for any help
>or advice offered.

A cat sized dose of Pyridium (phenoazopyridine)? I don't know if it's
safe for cats, but it is used for people suffering from UTI symptoms,
and is approved in humans for long term use for treating the constant
pain from interstitial cystitis.

It could be administered in a Pill Pocket, perhaps, for a cat(?)

Good luck.

Thank you for providing a home for so many stray cats! Life on the
street is pretty tough, as you know. You are an angel for saving so
many. But I'm sure you know that :-)

balikitty
March 4th 08, 02:26 PM
On Mar 4, 1:27*am, (Gandalf) wrote:
> [...]
> >water here is filled with chlorine. I began giving bottled water
> >only. *I will appreciate any products or rituals, supplements,
> >anything, to help her get through this. She seems to be feeling okay
> >right now, but she will flare up soon. *Thank you so much for any help
> >or advice offered.
>
> A cat sized dose of Pyridium (phenoazopyridine)? I don't know if it's
> safe for cats, but it is used for people suffering from UTI symptoms,
> and is approved in humans for long term use for treating the constant
> pain from interstitial cystitis.
>
> It could be administered in a Pill Pocket, perhaps, for a cat(?)
>
> Good luck.
>
> Thank you for providing a home for so many stray cats! Life on the
> street is pretty tough, as you know. You are an angel for saving so
> many. But I'm sure you know that :-)- Hide quoted text -

Medication has not been approved for animals. I know it would be
wonderful if we could administer to them.