PDA

View Full Version : Question About Cat Behavior...

Writerosity
March 7th 08, 08:46 PM
I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch
his
back when I'm petting him. Why does he do this, if this is behavior
normally associated with fear? TIA

Writerosity

Rene S.
March 7th 08, 09:31 PM
On Mar 7, 2:46*pm, Writerosity > wrote:
> I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
> they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch
> his
> back when I'm petting him. *Why does he do this, if this is behavior
> normally associated with fear? *TIA
>
> Writerosity

I am guessing your kitten is arching his back in happiness and
pleasure. Does his purr or otherwise rub against you while you're
petting him?

If he were upset, you would see other signs: lashing tail, ears back,
hissing, dilated pupils, growling.

Enjoy your kitten!

mc
March 7th 08, 09:57 PM
I agree here. I think we need more information. What other signs does
your kitten present? Does he appear to be expressing fear or
aggression, or is he just playing? Some kittens will just do this
behavior in play. After all, they are kittens and still "learning"
what play is and what aggression is... etc...

Without more information, I fear an answer would be hard to come by.
There could be many reasons, I suppose.

For example, some cats I have had have taken to "playing" as soon as I
pull at their tail just the smallest bit. It seems to be a signal to
them to play. They will roll around on their backs and try to play.
Another cat I have becomes quite hostile when I do this same action to
him...

Writerosity
March 9th 08, 10:33 PM
On Mar 7, 2:31*pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2:46*pm, Writerosity > wrote:
>
> > I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
> > they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch
> > his
> > back when I'm petting him. *Why does he do this, if this is behavior
> > normally associated with fear? *TIA
>
> > Writerosity
>
> I am guessing your kitten is arching his back in happiness and
> pleasure. Does his purr or otherwise rub against you while you're
> petting him?

Yeah. He purrs and walks around, almost like a slow dance.

> If he were upset, you would see other signs: lashing tail, ears back,
> hissing, dilated pupils, growling.
>
> Enjoy your kitten!

We've got two of them and they are hilarious. They will wrassle
endlessly, sometimes as soon as they wake up in the morning, on top of
me on the bed. I've got a new cam corder, but haven't gotten around
to instatting the memory card and filiming.

Writerosity

Writerosity
March 9th 08, 10:37 PM
On Mar 7, 2:57*pm, mc > wrote:
> I agree here. I think we need more information. What other signs does
> your kitten present? Does he appear to be expressing fear or
> aggression, or is he just playing?

He's just playing. It obviously gives him pleasure to do it.

Some kittens will just do this
> behavior in play. After all, they are kittens and still "learning"
> what play is and what aggression is... etc...

I noticed this sort of thing with another cat I had, but mostly he
would do it
when he was tearing up our couch, which, obviously, gave him much
pleasure.

> Without more information, I fear an answer would be hard to come by.
> There could be many reasons, I suppose.
>
> For example, some cats I have had have taken to "playing" as soon as I
> pull at their tail just the smallest bit. It seems to be a signal to
> them to play. They will roll around on their backs and try to play.
> Another cat I have becomes quite hostile when I do this same action to
> him...

These cats get more energized when I'm petting them, and I pull on
their
tail.

Writerosity

mc
March 10th 08, 04:26 AM
I am glad you wrote back... sounds like all is well.

Yes, cats do like to play, and sometimes that shows up as something
that may appear to be aggressive behavior. But many cat experts say
that humans should not try to judge these things...

However, I believe you can tell quite a bit by looking at all the
clues and body language.

With that said, it sounds like things are going well ;-)