PDA

View Full Version : ****ed Off At My ****ing Cat...

AR[_2_]
March 12th 08, 02:57 PM
I've had it with this beast. He keeps peeing on my bath rug. Yes, he
knows it's wrong. I've caught him in the act, and he knows I wasn't
pleased. Yes, his litter box is clean, and he doesn't have a urinary
infection, as he only does it when I come there. I am otherwise
EXTREMELY nice to the little ****. He gets treats, his ears scratched,
gets hugged, his back rubbed, his little bed made up, etc. I tried
taking away his food for an afternoon, and replaced it with the mat
where his food bowl was so he could put two and two together. I chased
him around the apartment with the peed on mat, so you would think he
would get the idea. He did the same thing last time, and I thought he
had the idea he done wrong, but I guess not.

This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
the door by turning the doorknob. How can I get it through his furry,
whiskered little head that this is NOT acceptable behavior. Would
appreciate any ideas.

AR[_2_]
March 12th 08, 03:44 PM
On Mar 12, 10:06 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "AR" > wrote in message

> > I've had it with this beast. He keeps peeing on my bath rug. Yes, he
> > knows it's wrong. I've caught him in the act, and he knows I wasn't
> > pleased. Yes, his litter box is clean, and he doesn't have a urinary
> > infection, as he only does it when I come there. I am otherwise
> > EXTREMELY nice to the little ****. He gets treats, his ears scratched,
> > gets hugged, his back rubbed, his little bed made up, etc. I tried
> > taking away his food for an afternoon, and replaced it with the mat
> > where his food bowl was so he could put two and two together. I chased
> > him around the apartment with the peed on mat, so you would think he
> > would get the idea. He did the same thing last time, and I thought he
> > had the idea he done wrong, but I guess not.
>
> > This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
> > the door by turning the doorknob. How can I get it through his furry,
> > whiskered little head that this is NOT acceptable behavior. Would
> > appreciate any ideas.
>
> Anger management

For me or the cat?

CatNipped[_2_]
March 12th 08, 06:00 PM
"AR" > wrote in message

> This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
> the door by turning the doorknob.

He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't blame
him, I would too.

AR[_2_]
March 12th 08, 07:06 PM
On Mar 12, 1:00 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "AR" > wrote in message

> > This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
> > the door by turning the doorknob.
>
> He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't blame
> him, I would too.

Gee, well thanks for the help anyway! Never thought you would take the
side of the cat...LOL! Maybe you let your cats pee all over the
house!---Geez!

mlbriggs
March 12th 08, 07:28 PM
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:57:49 -0700, AR wrote:

> I've had it with this beast. He keeps peeing on my bath rug. Yes, he knows
> it's wrong. I've caught him in the act, and he knows I wasn't pleased.
> Yes, his litter box is clean, and he doesn't have a urinary infection, as
> he only does it when I come there. I am otherwise EXTREMELY nice to the
> little ****. He gets treats, his ears scratched, gets hugged, his back
> rubbed, his little bed made up, etc. I tried taking away his food for an
> afternoon, and replaced it with the mat where his food bowl was so he
> could put two and two together. I chased him around the apartment with the
> peed on mat, so you would think he would get the idea. He did the same
> thing last time, and I thought he had the idea he done wrong, but I guess
> not.
>
> This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open the
> door by turning the doorknob. How can I get it through his furry,
> whiskered little head that this is NOT acceptable behavior. Would
> appreciate any ideas.

IMHO It has now become a game. Enjoy! MLB

cybercat
March 12th 08, 08:40 PM
"AR" > wrote in message
> On Mar 12, 1:00 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> "AR" > wrote in message

>> > This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
>> > the door by turning the doorknob.
>>
>> He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't
>> blame
>> him, I would too.
>
> Gee, well thanks for the help anyway! Never thought you would take the
> side of the cat...LOL! Maybe you let your cats pee all over the
> house!---Geez!

No, she doesn't.

I seem to recall your posting here before about the same problem.

Did you take the advice given, and confine your cat to a smallish room with
bed and toys, box and food and water, going to visit him often? No rugs on
the floor.

He will go in his box to avoid walking or lying in his own mess. Cats are
creatures of habit, so he will get used to going in his box. You let him
out, he does it again, you put him back in confinement.

Meanwhile, you leave the goddamned door to your bathroom closed.

My vet said, some cats simply prefer to pee on fabric.

Using the method above, we got my cat to stop using our dining room rug to
pee on. She no longer has to be confined--ever. And she never goes there.

AR[_2_]
March 12th 08, 09:10 PM
On Mar 12, 3:40 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "AR" > wrote in message

> >> He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't
> >> blame
> >> him, I would too.
>
> > Gee, well thanks for the help anyway! Never thought you would take the
> > side of the cat...LOL! Maybe you let your cats pee all over the
> > house!---Geez!
>
> They do make medication for your temper problem. Maybe seeing a counselor
> would help with those problems of control and inadequacy your are feeling.
> Maybe join a group to talk about your feelings. I would love to see how you
> explain to everyone how a cat who weighs less than you, has a smaller brain
> than you is out thinking you and making you look like a fool having all
> these temper tantrums running around your house.
>
> I wonder if you are hearing voices yet?

Whoops! I seemed to have fed the resident troll by mistake. I don't
have a small room without a rug unfortunately. I was trying to do the
something similar by taking the food away for a while (he free feeds
all day) and putting the mat in it's place to punish him that way so
you can see if he does it, he doesn't get the food. Maybe I could try
a long leash on his collar with his food and toys and litter box
accessible, to see if he will then be good if I let him off the leash.
We have a glassed in terrace with plenty of windows so he can stay
there. He sleeps on the couch there on top of a soft blanket I fold up
for him.
I was keeping the bathroom door locked and the rug up in the bath, but
I forget to close it sometimes and the rug was down after a shower. He
does get let out to go outside every day almost, but he always comes
back, so he's not trying to escape...LOL! He's got it too good there!
I read that cats don't care for the smell of citrus, so maybe I can
get a citrus scented air freshener for the bath, and spray the rug
with it too. Anyone know if that's true?

One of these ideas should work. I never considered he thought it was a
game, but why would he do it if he knows there are consequences he
doesn't like? Have no idea how a cat's brain works though.

MaryL
March 12th 08, 10:50 PM
"AR" > wrote in message
> I've had it with this beast. He keeps peeing on my bath rug. Yes, he
> knows it's wrong. I've caught him in the act, and he knows I wasn't
> pleased. Yes, his litter box is clean, and he doesn't have a urinary
> infection, as he only does it when I come there. I am otherwise
> EXTREMELY nice to the little ****. He gets treats, his ears scratched,
> gets hugged, his back rubbed, his little bed made up, etc. I tried
> taking away his food for an afternoon, and replaced it with the mat
> where his food bowl was so he could put two and two together. I chased
> him around the apartment with the peed on mat, so you would think he
> would get the idea. He did the same thing last time, and I thought he
> had the idea he done wrong, but I guess not.
>
> This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
> the door by turning the doorknob. How can I get it through his furry,
> whiskered little head that this is NOT acceptable behavior. Would
> appreciate any ideas.

No, he does *not* know it's "wrong." You are trying to attribute human
characteristics to your cat. Moreover, your language indicates a distinct
lack of compassion for your cat. Please think about what you are doing and
think about the fact that cats do not communicate in the same ways as we do.

Next: *Many* cats will urinate on bath mats, particularly if this is the
type of bath mat with a rubberized backing. The rubberized backing on many
mats include a type of product that mimics fish oil to cats, so this is a
common problem. The solution is to get another mat (without rubberized
backing) or hang the mat where it is out of the reach of your cat. I am
assuming this is the type used when you get out of a bath. If not, and if
it is simply one used for general purpose, you may need to get rid of it.

MaryL

cybercat
March 13th 08, 03:19 AM
"AR" > wrote

> Whoops! I seemed to have fed the resident troll by mistake. I don't
> have a small room without a rug unfortunately. I was trying to do the
> something similar by taking the food away for a while (he free feeds
> all day) and putting the mat in it's place to punish him that way so
> you can see if he does it, he doesn't get the food.

You're an idiot. Take your cat to the nearest shelter.

mc
March 13th 08, 03:31 AM
OUCH!

I agree though... this person seems to want to ask for advice, but
when good advice is given, this person doesn't seem to be very good at
giving the advice a fair shake.

AR, you actually have to TRY out the methods that have been offered to
you instead of griping about your problems and/or why the solutions
will not work.

Saying that this won't work because of this and that and that won't
work because of this and that... Of course it won't work if you don't
give it a fair try.

Cats are not people. They are not going to figure out why you are with-
holding food (when you place the soiled mat in the place of a food
dish) or why you are angry because the cat soiled your mat, I don't
care how smart the cat is. They are not going to equate these things.

You say you spoil the cat... do you? Does the cat feel spoiled
(because it has a soft blanket to lay on)? I doubt it.

Neither here nor there, you also stated, I THINK, awhile back, that
you were keeping your cat at someone elses home during a change in
your own?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, what else has been going on in
this cats life? Has he/she had some major changes in its habitat
lately?

I would follow any and all advice offered here and then go from there.
TRY IT before you decide it won't work!

Hope this helps!

dgk
March 14th 08, 12:17 PM
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:50:45 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"AR" > wrote in message
>> I've had it with this beast. He keeps peeing on my bath rug. Yes, he
>> knows it's wrong. I've caught him in the act, and he knows I wasn't
>> pleased. Yes, his litter box is clean, and he doesn't have a urinary
>> infection, as he only does it when I come there. I am otherwise
>> EXTREMELY nice to the little ****. He gets treats, his ears scratched,
>> gets hugged, his back rubbed, his little bed made up, etc. I tried
>> taking away his food for an afternoon, and replaced it with the mat
>> where his food bowl was so he could put two and two together. I chased
>> him around the apartment with the peed on mat, so you would think he
>> would get the idea. He did the same thing last time, and I thought he
>> had the idea he done wrong, but I guess not.
>>
>> This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
>> the door by turning the doorknob. How can I get it through his furry,
>> whiskered little head that this is NOT acceptable behavior. Would
>> appreciate any ideas.
>
>No, he does *not* know it's "wrong." You are trying to attribute human
>characteristics to your cat. Moreover, your language indicates a distinct
>lack of compassion for your cat. Please think about what you are doing and
>think about the fact that cats do not communicate in the same ways as we do.
>
>Next: *Many* cats will urinate on bath mats, particularly if this is the
>type of bath mat with a rubberized backing. The rubberized backing on many
>mats include a type of product that mimics fish oil to cats, so this is a
>common problem. The solution is to get another mat (without rubberized
>backing) or hang the mat where it is out of the reach of your cat. I am
>assuming this is the type used when you get out of a bath. If not, and if
>it is simply one used for general purpose, you may need to get rid of it.
>
>MaryL

It does seem like getting rid of the mat, and spraying something like
Nature's Miracle to get rid of the odor, would go a long way toward
resolving the problem. No mat, can't pee on mat.

And as one of the other folks said, cats don't think like we do and
sometimes what we think of as teaching is interpreted by them as being
threatening. Try ditching the mat and let's see where it goes.

alisont via CatKB.com
March 14th 08, 01:27 PM
Cats are not like dogs. If you let your dog know that some behavior is
unacceptable it will hang its head and be ashamed. A cat will mrely realize
that it has a new tool in its arsenal to use when it is displeased with you.

This is a battle you will not win. Get rid of the bathroom rug.

--
http://www.serenityscenes.com/

CatNipped[_2_]
March 14th 08, 03:43 PM
"AR" > wrote in message
> On Mar 12, 1:00 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> "AR" > wrote in message

>> > This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
>> > the door by turning the doorknob.
>>
>> He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't
>> blame
>> him, I would too.
>
> Gee, well thanks for the help anyway! Never thought you would take the
> side of the cat...LOL! Maybe you let your cats pee all over the
> house!---Geez!

I *ALWAYS* take the side of the cat (or child, or anyone else who can't
speak up for themselves or defend themselves against an aggressor).
Withholding food from him is cruel, and he can in no way associate that with
a past behavior. Chasing him around the apartment brandishing a bath mat is
cruel, and he can in no way associate that with a past behavior. Cats live
in the present and all he knows is that you are suddenly behaving cruelly
towards him for no reason (apparently *after* you got advice here about the
problem and completely ignored it).

There are a number of reasons why he may be urinating in an inappropriate
place. Is he neutered? If not he will spray his territory just like any
other healthy, intact tom would. How do you know he doesn't have a urinary
tract infection, has he been seen by a vet and had his urine tested? Has
the vet ruled out interstitial cystitis or a partial struvite crystal
blockage? Has anything in the house or his routine been changed? If so it
could be stress induced behavior. Is the bath mat rubber-backed? If so
there may be a chemical in the backing which smells like another tom's
marking and he wants to claim his house back. You said you allow him
outside - are there other cats around that might make him feel threatened
and cause him to want to mark his territory?

And finally, if you have ruled out all of the above, why not just pick up
the f*cking mat and add another litter box close by? If it's too hard for
you to understand your cat's needs and meet them, then do the cat a favor
and find him a good home.

CatNipped

MaryL
March 14th 08, 04:26 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "AR" > wrote in message

>>> He's probably trying to open the door and get away from you! I don't
>>> blame
>>> him, I would too.
>>
>> Gee, well thanks for the help anyway! Never thought you would take the
>> side of the cat...LOL! Maybe you let your cats pee all over the
>> house!---Geez!
>
> I *ALWAYS* take the side of the cat (or child, or anyone else who can't
> speak up for themselves or defend themselves against an aggressor).
> Withholding food from him is cruel, and he can in no way associate that
> with a past behavior. Chasing him around the apartment brandishing a bath
> mat is cruel, and he can in no way associate that with a past behavior.
> Cats live in the present and all he knows is that you are suddenly
> behaving cruelly towards him for no reason (apparently *after* you got
> advice here about the problem and completely ignored it).
>
> There are a number of reasons why he may be urinating in an inappropriate
> place. Is he neutered? If not he will spray his territory just like any
> other healthy, intact tom would. How do you know he doesn't have a
> urinary tract infection, has he been seen by a vet and had his urine
> tested? Has the vet ruled out interstitial cystitis or a partial struvite
> crystal blockage? Has anything in the house or his routine been changed?
> If so it could be stress induced behavior. Is the bath mat rubber-backed?
> If so there may be a chemical in the backing which smells like another
> tom's marking and he wants to claim his house back. You said you allow
> him outside - are there other cats around that might make him feel
> threatened and cause him to want to mark his territory?
>
> And finally, if you have ruled out all of the above, why not just pick up
> the f*cking mat and add another litter box close by? If it's too hard for
> you to understand your cat's needs and meet them, then do the cat a favor
> and find him a good home.
>
> CatNipped

Excellent post -- provides good information. Thank you!

MaryL

CatNipped[_2_]
March 14th 08, 04:54 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" >
>

> Hey cat we already told him all of this in his previous post about it.
> Specially about the mat. He has not listened. Than posted that BS above.
>
> That is why he has a target painted on his forehead

Sorry, missed those - I've been hit and miss lately with the 'groups (mostly
miss).

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
March 14th 08, 04:57 PM
. ..

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message

>>> Gee, well thanks for the help anyway! Never thought you would take the
>>> side of the cat...LOL! Maybe you let your cats pee all over the
>>> house!---Geez!
>>
>> I *ALWAYS* take the side of the cat (or child, or anyone else who can't
>> speak up for themselves or defend themselves against an aggressor).
>> Withholding food from him is cruel, and he can in no way associate that
>> with a past behavior. Chasing him around the apartment brandishing a
>> bath mat is cruel, and he can in no way associate that with a past
>> behavior. Cats live in the present and all he knows is that you are
>> suddenly behaving cruelly towards him for no reason (apparently *after*
>> you got advice here about the problem and completely ignored it).
>>
>> There are a number of reasons why he may be urinating in an inappropriate
>> place. Is he neutered? If not he will spray his territory just like any
>> other healthy, intact tom would. How do you know he doesn't have a
>> urinary tract infection, has he been seen by a vet and had his urine
>> tested? Has the vet ruled out interstitial cystitis or a partial
>> struvite crystal blockage? Has anything in the house or his routine been
>> changed? If so it could be stress induced behavior. Is the bath mat
>> rubber-backed? If so there may be a chemical in the backing which smells
>> like another tom's marking and he wants to claim his house back. You
>> said you allow him outside - are there other cats around that might make
>> him feel threatened and cause him to want to mark his territory?
>>
>> And finally, if you have ruled out all of the above, why not just pick up
>> the f*cking mat and add another litter box close by? If it's too hard
>> for you to understand your cat's needs and meet them, then do the cat a
>> favor and find him a good home.
>>
>> CatNipped
>>

> Excellent post -- provides good information. Thank you!
>
> MaryL

Thanks. Although I'm sure it will be ignored just like all the other good
advice he was given here. It always amazes me that some people don't "get"
that cats are not small furry people - that's over-rating people and
insulting to cats! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
March 14th 08, 06:38 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>> Sorry, missed those - I've been hit and miss lately with the 'groups
>> (mostly miss).
>>

> Never apologize for having a life! *winkie*

Oh man and has that life been kicking my butt lately - can you imagine these
cretins actually expecting me to work for the pittance they pay me!!! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
March 14th 08, 07:04 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> Sorry, missed those - I've been hit and miss lately with the 'groups
> (mostly miss).

Never apologize for having a life! *winkie*

Outsider
March 15th 08, 09:54 PM
AR > wrote in news:0e002d85-8c2b-4659-b22b-7d2333d9aff8
@n77g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

> I've had it with this beast. He keeps peeing on my bath rug. Yes, he
> knows it's wrong. I've caught him in the act, and he knows I wasn't
> pleased. Yes, his litter box is clean, and he doesn't have a urinary
> infection, as he only does it when I come there. I am otherwise
> EXTREMELY nice to the little ****. He gets treats, his ears scratched,
> gets hugged, his back rubbed, his little bed made up, etc. I tried
> taking away his food for an afternoon, and replaced it with the mat
> where his food bowl was so he could put two and two together. I chased
> him around the apartment with the peed on mat, so you would think he
> would get the idea. He did the same thing last time, and I thought he
> had the idea he done wrong, but I guess not.
>
> This furball is smart. He can stand on his hind legs and try to open
> the door by turning the doorknob. How can I get it through his furry,
> whiskered little head that this is NOT acceptable behavior.

That is just what the cat is trying to tell _you_.