PDA

View Full Version : Cat Urine and Black Lights

mc
March 15th 08, 01:39 AM
I haven't seen this posted yet... but perhaps I can do a search.

I am wondering if black lights really truly work in finding kitty
urine in places we otherwise might not be aware of.

I had gotten on the Internet awhile back and saw this suggestion, so I
got one today at Wal-mart.

Do they really work?

The reason I ask is that I checked around the house tonight and found
a single spot where it appears one or more cat(s) may have urinated.
However, when I specifically checked out their litter box the light
picked up nothing, even while there was some urine in the litterbox.

Also, I know there is a urine spot in our family room from a time
period of several years ago when a different cat we had was having a
problem. The spot somehow seeped through the wall paneling and can be
seen on the other side of the paneling where a closet is located.
There was enough urine there that you can see the damage, even though
it was very much cleaned up at the time.

So, with all that said, are all black lights equal, so to speak? I
knew I should have picked up the one at the pet store today while I
was there...

Thanks for any thoughts on this...

mc
March 15th 08, 05:59 PM
There was a really good discussion that was posted, I think, late last
fall. I did a search and read it and thought it was quite helpful, but
still hard to get through it. I think it is the one you are referring
to.

From what I have read, it sounds like the Natures Miracle black light
may or may not work - I just got the nature's miracle stain and oder
remover.

I have my eye on one that is made by "Stink Free" that I want to try
now, but I haven't really been able to find any revues on it. Maybe
someone on the board has had some success with it?

I do have this ugly brown sculpted carpeting and it is really hard to
tell if the cats have used it... but I did find a curious spot on that
floor.

I am hopeful that I am on the right track here :-)

Thanks so much for the input ;-) I will keep searching ;-)

Melissa

Phil P.
March 16th 08, 04:18 PM
"mc" > wrote in message
> I haven't seen this posted yet... but perhaps I can do a search.
>
> I am wondering if black lights really truly work in finding kitty
> urine in places we otherwise might not be aware of.
>
> I had gotten on the Internet awhile back and saw this suggestion, so I
> got one today at Wal-mart.
>
> Do they really work?
>
> The reason I ask is that I checked around the house tonight and found
> a single spot where it appears one or more cat(s) may have urinated.
> However, when I specifically checked out their litter box the light
> picked up nothing, even while there was some urine in the litterbox.
>
> Also, I know there is a urine spot in our family room from a time
> period of several years ago when a different cat we had was having a
> problem. The spot somehow seeped through the wall paneling and can be
> seen on the other side of the paneling where a closet is located.
> There was enough urine there that you can see the damage, even though
> it was very much cleaned up at the time.
>
> So, with all that said, are all black lights equal, so to speak? I
> knew I should have picked up the one at the pet store today while I
> was there...
>
> Thanks for any thoughts on this...

This is the one I have:

http://maxshouse.com/Equipment/blacklight.jpg

I have the smaller version, too. Works like a charm. I bought them in
Petsmart.

Are you turning off the lights? The blacklights work the best in dark rooms.

Phil

mc
March 16th 08, 08:08 PM
On Mar 16, 11:24 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> "mc" > wrote in message
>
> ...>I haven't seen this posted yet... but perhaps I can do a search.
>
> > I am wondering if black lights really truly work in finding kitty
> > urine in places we otherwise might not be aware of.
>
> > I had gotten on the Internet awhile back and saw this suggestion, so I
> > got one today at Wal-mart.
>
> > Do they really work?
>
> -----
> It didn't work for me, and I thought it was a waste of money.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>

> > The reason I ask is that I checked around the house tonight and found
> > a single spot where it appears one or more cat(s) may have urinated.
> > However, when I specifically checked out their litter box the light
> > picked up nothing, even while there was some urine in the litterbox.
>
> > Also, I know there is a urine spot in our family room from a time
> > period of several years ago when a different cat we had was having a
> > problem. The spot somehow seeped through the wall paneling and can be
> > seen on the other side of the paneling where a closet is located.
> > There was enough urine there that you can see the damage, even though
> > it was very much cleaned up at the time.
>
> > So, with all that said, are all black lights equal, so to speak? I
> > knew I should have picked up the one at the pet store today while I
> > was there...
>
> > Thanks for any thoughts on this...

mc
March 16th 08, 08:19 PM
I am figuring it out. The original one I purchased actually works. I
went out to Pets Supplies Plus last night and got two of the smaller
ones made by "stink-free" (I think that is what the brand name is).

Then, I got on the Internet to see what I was looking for because on
one of the packages I saw in the store the package had pictures of
what stains look like under the black light, which was actually quite
helpful.

I found out that the original black light I purchased does work just
fine.

It is going to take some time and effort, however, to get used to
finding stains with it.

I have this ugly brown shaggy type carpeting down in our family room,
near the room with the litterbox and am wondering if the urine goes
into that carpet, maybe the urine won't show up as well with the black
light, but now at least I have a much better idea as to what to look
for.

I just thought it was interesting and I learned something from all of
this.

Thanks so much for everything ;-)

Melissa

Phil P.
March 16th 08, 11:55 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> The reason I am saying "it didn't work for me," is because I did see a
> couple of small areas that fluoresced, which I assume were the urine. But,
> knew there should be much larger areas and many more of them where there
was
> no fluorescence.

Were the rooms dark? The inexpensive blacklights aren't very powerful- so
the rooms need to be pretty dark for you to see the fluorescence. Also,
leaving the blacklight on for a few minutes before using increases its
effectiveness.

Also, there were other areas that also seemed to fluoresce
> which I knew were not covered in urine (like my shoes).

Certain types of materials fluoresce under a blacklight- 'Ever see some
types of shirts light up in clubs with black lights? Also, some black lights
will light up any type of organic matter.

Phil

mc
March 17th 08, 12:40 AM
I am still learning... different things, as I have found, cause
different colors to show... for example, a spot that was soiled by
blood shows up differently than a spot soiled by feces. And urine
looks entirely different under the black light than feces does... So I
am learning.

One funny thing that I was quite horrified by, and this is quite
funny... but I was chatting with a person who runs a pet salon here in
town... and we were talking about black lights and pet urine... and
she was talking about even being able to tell if a persons hair is
natural or dyed under a black light...

AAAIIYYEEEE!!! I color my hair!!! I had to run to the bathroom in the
mirror and check it out right away!!! OMG!!! You can tell!!!
HORRIFYING I TELL YOU! HORRIFYING!!!

LOL

Just thought I would share that tidbit of warmth with you...
hehehehe...

Beware of black lights!!!