PDA

View Full Version : To catnip or not to catnip?

March 20th 08, 04:31 AM
I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.

Are there any health issues, or things to know? My theory is cats &
dogs are on this planet a much shorter time than people, so we should
spoil 'em rotten. If they wanna roll around in catnip and get high,
and I love to watch it, why not? But my wife says it's bad for them.
She hasn't researched it, she just hates the mess, I think.

Thoughts?

Much appreciatd!

mc
March 20th 08, 04:37 AM
I have never heard that it is bad for them.

LOL :-)

We have two house cats right at the moment and one loves the catnip
and the other has no effect from catnip whatsoever. I read somewhere
that it is a genetic thing, whether a cat is effected by it or not,
some cats just don't get "high" from catnip.

The downside, over here at my house, is that the cat who enjoys it
gets downright nasty when he partakes of it, so I try to limit his
intake...

It is funny to watch though...

Baldoni[_8_]
March 20th 08, 10:31 AM
was thinking very hard :
> I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
> don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
> 12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.
>
> Are there any health issues, or things to know? My theory is cats &
> dogs are on this planet a much shorter time than people, so we should
> spoil 'em rotten. If they wanna roll around in catnip and get high,
> and I love to watch it, why not? But my wife says it's bad for them.
> She hasn't researched it, she just hates the mess, I think.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Much appreciatd!

My cats are mad enough without it. Someone on one of the cat NG
mentioned *Valerian Root* sends them the same way, you should see the
lengths one of my cats goes to to get the jar. It has to be kept out of
the living room to stop him scatching the cabinet or knocking things
over.

--
Count Baldoni

Bobblespin
March 20th 08, 02:35 PM
wrote in news:e9f2087e-960a-472a-b6f3-
:

> I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
> don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
> 12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.
>
> Are there any health issues, or things to know? My theory is cats &
> dogs are on this planet a much shorter time than people, so we should
> spoil 'em rotten. If they wanna roll around in catnip and get high,
> and I love to watch it, why not? But my wife says it's bad for them.
> She hasn't researched it, she just hates the mess, I think.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Much appreciatd!

All my cats have enjoyed it, fresh and dried, over the years and it won't
hurt them. If your wife hates the mess, put it on an old sheet on the
floor, let the cat have fun, then remove the sheet with the mess inside.

Bobble

cybercat
March 20th 08, 04:45 PM
> wrote in message
> I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
> don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
> 12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.
>
> Are there any health issues, or things to know? My theory is cats &
> dogs are on this planet a much shorter time than people, so we should
> spoil 'em rotten. If they wanna roll around in catnip and get high,
> and I love to watch it, why not? But my wife says it's bad for them.
> She hasn't researched it, she just hates the mess, I think.

Your wife stands ready to suck all the joy out of life if she
objects to anything messy. IF you know what I mean and I
THINK that you do.

Catnip is GREAT for cats. Clean up the mess yourself. And consider
a wife who loves life more than clean.

blkcatgal
March 20th 08, 09:26 PM
I want to know why mine eat the catnip. I give them some dry catnip and
they proceed to eat it. Hmmm....

S.
---
> wrote in message
> I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
> don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
> 12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.
>
> Are there any health issues, or things to know? My theory is cats &
> dogs are on this planet a much shorter time than people, so we should
> spoil 'em rotten. If they wanna roll around in catnip and get high,
> and I love to watch it, why not? But my wife says it's bad for them.
> She hasn't researched it, she just hates the mess, I think.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Much appreciatd!

deja.blues[_3_]
March 20th 08, 11:10 PM
> wrote in message
> I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
> don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
> 12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.
>
> Are there any health issues, or things to know?

Nope. They love it and it makes them happy. Why deny them?

March 21st 08, 02:50 AM
On Mar 20, 12:45*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. *In googling I
> > don't see much on it here. *We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
> > 12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.
>
> > Are there any health issues, or things to know? *My theory is cats &
> > dogs are on this planet a much shorter time than people, so we should
> > spoil 'em rotten. *If they wanna roll around in catnip and get high,
> > and I love to watch it, why not? *But my wife says it's bad for them.
> > She hasn't researched it, she just hates the mess, I think.
>
> Your wife stands ready to suck all the joy out of life if she
> objects to anything messy. IF you know what I mean and I
> THINK that you do.
>
> Catnip is GREAT for cats. Clean up the mess yourself. And consider
> a wife who loves life more than clean.

Point taken, but a bit harsh on the wife. I hope that was LOADS of
sarcasm, but I'd say to you - consider a post that answers the
question more than it offends.

March 21st 08, 02:56 AM
> wrote:
>sarcasm, but I'd say to you - consider a post that >answers the
>question more than it offends.

**** off.

mc
March 21st 08, 04:06 AM
On Mar 20, 9:56 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote:
> >sarcasm, but I'd say to you - consider a post that >answers the
> >question more than it offends.
>
> **** off.

Actually, catnipped made a really good point. Cats love catnip, no one
disputes catnip as a health issue... feed away ;-)

I got a good chuckle out of this...

But if you are not giving catnip because of the mess... that does kind
of make a person wonder... you know???

The mess? You don't have to throw down a cupful of the stuff!

mc
March 21st 08, 04:07 AM
On Mar 20, 11:06 pm, mc > wrote:
> On Mar 20, 9:56 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > > wr

Even so... how hard can catnip be to clean up???

cybercat
March 21st 08, 01:13 PM
"mc" > wrote in message

> Even so... how hard can catnip be to clean up???

Tightassed, cathating spouses are always pulling this crap. "Do you really
think catnip is good for them, honey?" Translation: "if I have to clean up
any more of this stuff I'll blow a gasket."

March 21st 08, 08:12 PM
On Mar 21, 9:13*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "mc" > wrote in message

> > Even so... how hard can catnip be to clean up???
>
> Tightassed, cathating spouses are always pulling this crap. "Do you really
> think catnip is good for them, honey?" Translation: "if I have to clean up
> any more of this stuff I'll blow a gasket."

Heck, I don't mind cleaning up the mess. Rule of thumb in life seems
that things that are fun and enjoyable are often BAD for you, so I was
just wondering about catnip for cats. It doesn't call for telling me
to consider a different spouse, then your BRILLIANTLY USEFUL post of
"**** off", and then calling of a spouse "tightassed" and
"cathating". She LOVES the cats and really was afraid it's bad for
them. Seriously - "**** off"? How does one generate or deliver anger
in a pet forum? Pathetic.

March 21st 08, 08:49 PM
> wrote in message
On Mar 21, 9:13 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "mc" > wrote in message

> > Even so... how hard can catnip be to clean up???
>
> Tightassed, cathating spouses are always pulling this crap. "Do you really
> think catnip is good for them, honey?" Translation: "if I have to clean up
> any more of this stuff I'll blow a gasket."

>Heck, I don't mind cleaning up the mess. Rule of thumb in life seems
>that things that are fun and enjoyable are often BAD for you, so I was
>just wondering about catnip for cats. It doesn't call for telling me
>to consider a different spouse, then your BRILLIANTLY USEFUL post of
>"**** off", and then calling of a spouse "tightassed" and
>"cathating". She LOVES the cats and really was afraid it's bad for
>them. Seriously - "**** off"? How does one generate or deliver anger
>in a pet forum? Pathetic.

Thank you for sharing. Don't you feel better? That's what's grand about
Usenet.

How does one "generate or deliver" anger in a pet forum? In a number of
ways. First, by presuming, as you did, to tell anyone how to post or what
to say. A hearty **** OFF is not only appropriate, but called for.

Second, by posing a really stupid question "is catnip bad for cats" then
letting us know that the question arose because one's spouse finds
it "messy."

Your wife "loves" the cat so much she's worried about the mess catnip makes.

Bleah.

pipper1232002 via CatKB.com
March 21st 08, 09:12 PM
I think its the best thing for them. most love it that I came across. I had a
cat that died when he was 16 and he was given cat nip all the way upto age 16
and he was a very healthy cat. In fact it was actually a flea collar that did
him in. He started to loose weight real quick and then died with in like 2
weeks or less.

deja.blues wrote:
>> I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
>> don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
>> 12), and they all love it, don't seem to be any health issues.
>>
>> Are there any health issues, or things to know?
>
>Nope. They love it and it makes them happy. Why deny them?

March 21st 08, 09:14 PM
On Mar 21, 4:49*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Mar 21, 9:13 am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> > > Even so... how hard can catnip be to clean up???
>
> > Tightassed, cathating spouses are always pulling this crap. "Do you really
> > think catnip is good for them, honey?" Translation: "if I have to clean up
> > any more of this stuff I'll blow a gasket."
> >Heck, I don't mind cleaning up the mess. *Rule of thumb in life seems
> >that things that are fun and enjoyable are often BAD for you, so I was
> >just wondering about catnip for cats. *It doesn't call for telling me
> >to consider a different spouse, then your BRILLIANTLY USEFUL post of
> >"**** off", and then calling of a spouse "tightassed" and
> >"cathating". *She LOVES the cats and really was afraid it's bad for
> >them. *Seriously - "**** off"? *How does one generate or deliver anger
> >in a pet forum? *Pathetic.
>
> Thank you for sharing. Don't you feel better? That's what's grand about
> Usenet.
>
> How does one "generate or deliver" anger in a pet forum? In a number of
> ways. First, by presuming, as you did, to tell anyone how to post or what
> to say. A hearty **** OFF is not only appropriate, but called for.
>
> Second, by posing a really stupid question "is catnip bad for cats" then
> letting us know that the question arose because one's spouse finds
> it "messy."
>
> Your wife "loves" the cat so much she's worried about the mess catnip makes.
>
> Bleah.- Hide quoted text -

Read my original post. The first line said I was wondering ever "if
catnip is bad for cats". The mess was the LAST line of what I said.
But- as long as you can say things like "**** Off" and the even more
elegant "Bleah", well I guess you've really got me. It's funny how
EVERYBODY ELSE who responded just said something about the topic of
catnip.

And oh- asking if catnip could be bad for cats is a 'stupid question',
huh? Right, because it was so impossible that there might be health
effects I was unaware of. Forgive me for doing research and playing
it safe with my cats' health. I'm not as smart as you obviously. You
typed "Bleah".

Now, if you forgive me, I have to go recover from your GENIUS posts of
"**** off" and "bleah". I may never get over it. Please don't say
"shut up" next, I'd never get over that one.

cybercat
March 21st 08, 09:28 PM
"pipper1232002 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I think its the best thing for them. most love it that I came across. I had
> cat that died when he was 16 and he was given cat nip all the way upto age
> 16
> and he was a very healthy cat. In fact it was actually a flea collar that
> did
> him in. He started to loose weight real quick and then died with in like 2
> weeks or less.

You can just tell it is good for them. It makes my two girls *just about*
play together. (They were introduced as adults, and one is much older
and kind of cranky, lol.)

pipper1232002 via CatKB.com
March 21st 08, 09:28 PM
I just saw the other post of the cat eating catnip....several of my cats I
have had would eat catnip. and love to roll in it especially is what most of
the cats I had would do. I remember growing my own catnip once for my cat and
he loved to go near the plant and smell it and I think he even tryed chewing
on the leaves. For some cats I think catnip can be a bit of a sugar high
almost of a sort.

pipper1232002 wrote:
>I think its the best thing for them. most love it that I came across. I had a
>cat that died when he was 16 and he was given cat nip all the way upto age 16
>and he was a very healthy cat. In fact it was actually a flea collar that did
>him in. He started to loose weight real quick and then died with in like 2
>weeks or less.
>
>>> I've been trying to see if catnip is bad for cats. In googling I
>>> don't see much on it here. We've given it to our cats (ages 2, 7,
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>
>>Nope. They love it and it makes them happy. Why deny them?

pipper1232002 via CatKB.com
March 21st 08, 09:41 PM
I agree with you cybercat... when I had my 16 yr old cat we had 2 female cats
and both got pregnant at the same time and my 16yr old cat was cranky around
the kittens. He didnt mind them but he didnt want to be bothered by them. but
when he had his catnip he was either all crazy at first and a lil hyper and
then after a bit would start to mellow out and relax...ya couldnt keep him
from it...he would jump on the table then on to the fridge, or somethin like
that but he always got it and sometimes we gave him a lil.

Linda
cybercat wrote:
>>I think its the best thing for them. most love it that I came across. I had
>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>> him in. He started to loose weight real quick and then died with in like 2
>> weeks or less.
>
>You can just tell it is good for them. It makes my two girls *just about*
>play together. (They were introduced as adults, and one is much older
>and kind of cranky, lol.)

March 21st 08, 09:52 PM
"pipper1232002 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I just saw the other post of the cat eating catnip....several of my cats I
> have had would eat catnip. and love to roll in it especially is what most
> of
> the cats I had would do. I remember growing my own catnip once for my cat
> and
> he loved to go near the plant and smell it and I think he even tryed
> chewing
> on the leaves. For some cats I think catnip can be a bit of a sugar high
> almost of a sort.

My one cat eats it, the other just rubs and rolls all over it. They LOVE
their
catnip toys. It is so neat to see a cat in her teens act like a kitten.

cybercat
March 21st 08, 09:53 PM
> wrote in message
On Mar 21, 4:49 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Mar 21, 9:13 am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> > > Even so... how hard can catnip be to clean up???
>
> > Tightassed, cathating spouses are always pulling this crap. "Do you
> > really
> > think catnip is good for them, honey?" Translation: "if I have to clean
> > up
> > any more of this stuff I'll blow a gasket."
> >Heck, I don't mind cleaning up the mess. Rule of thumb in life seems
> >that things that are fun and enjoyable are often BAD for you, so I was
> >just wondering about catnip for cats. It doesn't call for telling me
> >to consider a different spouse, then your BRILLIANTLY USEFUL post of
> >"**** off", and then calling of a spouse "tightassed" and
> >"cathating". She LOVES the cats and really was afraid it's bad for
> >them. Seriously - "**** off"? How does one generate or deliver anger
> >in a pet forum? Pathetic.
>
> Thank you for sharing. Don't you feel better? That's what's grand about
> Usenet.
>
> How does one "generate or deliver" anger in a pet forum? In a number of
> ways. First, by presuming, as you did, to tell anyone how to post or what
> to say. A hearty **** OFF is not only appropriate, but called for.
>
> Second, by posing a really stupid question "is catnip bad for cats" then
> letting us know that the question arose because one's spouse finds
> it "messy."
>
> Your wife "loves" the cat so much she's worried about the mess catnip
> makes.
>
> Bleah.- Hide quoted text -

Read my original post. The first line said I was wondering ever "if
catnip is bad for cats". The mess was the LAST line of what I said.
But- as long as you can say things like "**** Off" and the even more
elegant "Bleah", well I guess you've really got me. It's funny how
EVERYBODY ELSE who responded just said something about the topic of
catnip.

And oh- asking if catnip could be bad for cats is a 'stupid question',
huh? Right, because it was so impossible that there might be health
effects I was unaware of. Forgive me for doing research and playing
it safe with my cats' health. I'm not as smart as you obviously. You
typed "Bleah".

Now, if you forgive me, I have to go recover from your GENIUS posts of
"**** off" and "bleah". I may never get over it. Please don't say
"shut up" next, I'd never get over that one.

*********************************

Okay, okay. So I'm a little cranky. Your wife is still a pill.

March 21st 08, 10:19 PM
On Mar 21, 5:53*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Mar 21, 4:49 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message

> > > Tightassed, cathating spouses are always pulling this crap. "Do you
> > > really
> > > think catnip is good for them, honey?" Translation: "if I have to clean
> > > up
> > > any more of this stuff I'll blow a gasket."
> > >Heck, I don't mind cleaning up the mess. Rule of thumb in life seems
> > >that things that are fun and enjoyable are often BAD for you, so I was
> > >just wondering about catnip for cats. It doesn't call for telling me
> > >to consider a different spouse, then your BRILLIANTLY USEFUL post of
> > >"**** off", and then calling of a spouse "tightassed" and
> > >"cathating". She LOVES the cats and really was afraid it's bad for
> > >them. Seriously - "**** off"? How does one generate or deliver anger
> > >in a pet forum? Pathetic.
>
> > Thank you for sharing. Don't you feel better? That's what's grand about
> > Usenet.
>
> > How does one "generate or deliver" anger in a pet forum? In a number of
> > ways. First, by presuming, as you did, to tell anyone how to post or what
> > to say. A hearty **** OFF is not only appropriate, but called for.
>
> > Second, by posing a really stupid question "is catnip bad for cats" then
> > letting us know that the question arose because one's spouse finds
> > it "messy."
>
> > Your wife "loves" the cat so much she's worried about the mess catnip
> > makes.
>
> > Bleah.- Hide quoted text -

> Read my original post. *The first line said I was wondering ever "if
> catnip is bad for cats". * The mess was the LAST line of what I said.
> But- as long as you can say things like "**** Off" and the even more
> elegant "Bleah", well I guess you've really got me. *It's funny how
> EVERYBODY ELSE who responded just said something about the topic of
> catnip.
>
> And oh- asking if catnip could be bad for cats is a 'stupid question',
> huh? *Right, because it was so impossible that there might be health
> effects I was unaware of. *Forgive me for doing research and playing
> it safe with my cats' health. *I'm not as smart as you obviously. *You
> typed "Bleah".
>
> Now, if you forgive me, I have to go recover from your GENIUS posts of
> "**** off" and "bleah". *I may never get over it. *Please don't say
> "shut up" next, I'd never get over that one.
>
> *********************************
>
> Okay, okay. So I'm a little cranky. Your wife is still a pill.- Hide quoted text -

Cybercat - Maybe YOU need some catnip! Look - my wife and i love
cats, and have 3. I love giving them catnip, her not so much for some
reason (yes, somewhat due to mess but that's not the main reason).
Once they got into some catnip I had in my drawer, I have NO CLUE how
they did it, and really got into it big time, LOL. One seemed to be
hung over for a few days, and got some in her eye, I think. My wife
panicked at that, but the vet said it's normal, try to clean her eye
out as best we can, no big deal.

Anyway, I will be bringing out the nip.

March 21st 08, 10:41 PM
> wrote

>Cybercat - Maybe YOU need some catnip!

Yeah, really. Sorry. I'm stressed out.

For all the fun of a catnip high and none of the mess:

http://www.fatcats.com/html_site/1_crackler_b.shtml

I LOVE these toys! Go look at the other cat toys, depending
on your political leanings, you can get a Bush or Hillary catnip
cat toy and watch kitties kick the snot out of them. :)

I gave a raging Dem friend the Bush one for Christmas and
her cat surprised us by loving up on him. You can find these toys
at grocery chains, Pet supply stores, and on ebay.

mc
March 22nd 08, 03:39 AM
On Mar 21, 5:41 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote
>
> >Cybercat - Maybe YOU need some catnip!
>
> Yeah, really. Sorry. I'm stressed out.

I am glad you guys got that figured out! But I don't think you have to
apologize cybercat... sometimes, unfortunately, it takes seemingly
harsh words to get to the bottom of things... I think you see a lot of
nonsense out there.

My question of the day is... Why do I seem to have you confused with
catnipped????

cybercat
March 22nd 08, 04:01 PM
"mc" > wrote in message
> On Mar 21, 5:41 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> > wrote
>>
>> >Cybercat - Maybe YOU need some catnip!
>>
>> Yeah, really. Sorry. I'm stressed out.
>>

> I am glad you guys got that figured out! But I don't think you have to
> apologize cybercat... sometimes, unfortunately, it takes seemingly
> harsh words to get to the bottom of things... I think you see a lot of
> nonsense out there.

Thanks. I do tend to get a little, errr, short, at times. My main concern is
always the animals, but there's no real good in working over the humans.

> My question of the day is... Why do I seem to have you confused with
> catnipped????

Because we are both intelligent, articulate, compassionate humans? :)

mc
March 22nd 08, 04:09 PM
> Thanks. I do tend to get a little, errr, short, at times. My main concern is
> always the animals, but there's no real good in working over the humans.

True... but you guys worked it out ;-)

> > My question of the day is... Why do I seem to have you confused with
> > catnipped????
>
> Because we are both intelligent, articulate, compassionate humans? :)

LOL! That must be it :-) <chuckles>