PDA

View Full Version : Royal Canin Green Peas and Lamb


cybercat
March 25th 08, 09:09 PM
Okay, so Gracie has ESG (allergy syndrome) and asthma. She had been getting
Depo Medrol shots as rarely as twice a year, and was doing well, no lesions
on the backs of her legs, no "rodent ulcer," little itchiness. But recently
she has needed shots every three months or so. We want to keep them at a
minimum because steroids can have several negative side effects, including
diabetes.

When she got her shot today, the doctor gave me the "alternative protein"
allergy talk, saying that rather than grains, cats are usually allergic to
proteins. I had a choice of venison or duck, and I chose duck.

It's dry because, this little cat, now 7 lbs 12 oz, is just not interested
in wet food enough to keep enough weight on if I feed her only wet.

But is is $32 for an 8 lb bag! Whew.

We'll see how it works.

March 25th 08, 09:35 PM
On Mar 25, 4:09*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Okay, so Gracie has ESG (allergy syndrome) and asthma. She had been getting
> Depo Medrol shots as rarely as *twice a year, and was doing well, no lesions
> on the backs of her legs, no "rodent ulcer," little itchiness. But recently
> she has needed shots every three months or so. We want to keep them at a
> minimum because steroids can have several negative side effects, including
> diabetes.
>
> When she got her shot today, the doctor gave me the "alternative protein"
> allergy talk, saying that rather than grains, cats are usually allergic to
> proteins. I had a choice of venison or duck, and I chose duck.
>
> It's dry because, this little cat, now 7 lbs 12 oz, is just not interested
> in wet food enough to keep enough weight on if I feed her only wet.
>
> But is is $32 for an 8 lb bag! Whew.
>
> We'll see how it works.

I'm in the same boat as you. I feed my cats the Royal Canin Venison
and Peas dry food because one suffers from allergies. And I know what
you mean about the price...it is expensive! You could try Natural
Balance which you can buy at Petco (maybe other pet stores but I know
PetSmart does not carry it). NB has an allergy formula food - Duck &
Peas - both canned and dry. They also have Venison & Peas in a canned
version (I feed my cat the NB venison & peas canned food, too). Much
cheaper than the Royal Canin you get from the vet. (I tried to feed
mine the NB duck & peas but he wasn't as enthusiastic about it as the
venison & peas). Also, if your cat won't eat canned foods but you
want to get more moisture in her diet, you could add some water to the
dry food...makes it a little soft. Just an idea...

S.
**Visit me and my cats at www.island-cats.com**

cybercat
March 25th 08, 11:08 PM
"Matthew" > wrote
>
> Heck for $32 bucks I could buy some venison or duck several pounds of it
> and feed it to them in a raw diet

Yeah, it is high. Good news is, if she doesn't like it, I can take it back
and
get a refund.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

cybercat
March 25th 08, 11:14 PM
> wrote

>I'm in the same boat as you. I feed my cats the Royal Canin Venison
>and Peas dry food because one suffers from allergies.

Sue, tell me this: how long have you fed it, and have you seen results?
Do you have any EGC cats, is that the sort of allergies they have? Gracie
gets linear granuloma and has twice had "rodent ulcer." Also, she will get
really runny stool if she goes too long without a shot. The vet says it is
another effect of allergies.

>(I feed my cat the NB venison & peas canned food, too). Much
>cheaper than the Royal Canin you get from the vet. (I tried to feed
>mine the NB duck & peas but he wasn't as enthusiastic about it as the
>venison & peas).

If Gracie likes this stuff you know I will look into a better value. Heck,
I don't pay $4 a pound for meat for us! I hope the duck was the right
choice, I only chose it because the vet said her allergic cat loves it.
Gracie eats Purina One Salmon usually, she loves it. It would be so
cool to get her off of Depo shots. As cats get older (same with us)
their systems are more fragile, and I worry about diabetes and other
things the shots might bring on.

>Also, if your cat won't eat canned foods but you
>want to get more moisture in her diet, you could add some water to the
>dry food...makes it a little soft. Just an idea...

An excellent idea. I might even start her out that way.

Thanks.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

blkcatgal
March 26th 08, 12:22 AM
Well, to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what kind of allergies my cat
suffers from or if he's truly allergic at all. He began getting these sores
on his mouth. Like rodent ulcers...but he never has had allergies problems
like lesions on his legs, etc. like you see on other cats with allergies.
(My vet says he's lucky.) He itches a bit more than usual, but not really
excessive. Vet still thought that the sores on his mouth might be allergy
related...not sure if it was food allergies or environmental. We were
fortunate...treated him with antibiotics and not the typical steroid shots.
We also decided to put him on a limited ingredient diet, thus the venison
and peas. Sores cleared up. Then he began having issues with the pads on
his paws...swollen, sores...along with sores on mouth. Vet thought again it
may be allergies or may be a immune system problem (but then again, isn't
that what an allergy is??). Once again, we treated him with antibiotics, no
steroids, continued with the allergy food. Problem cleared up. I think his
problem is seasonal...he has these issues in the spring and fall (oops,
spring is here...I'll have to keep an eye on him). Anyway, I've told you a
long story...and the bottom line is, I'm not sure if feeding him the allergy
food has helped at all, but I figure it couldn't hurt. He loves the NB
venison and peas canned food (They use to make a dry version until the whole
pet food recall....yes, it was one that was recalled. They stopped making
it now. For dry, I have to get the Royal Canin from my vet but fortunately
I don't feed him much dry and the bag lasts awhile).
He's been eating this food for close to 2 years now.

S.
--
**Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/ **
---
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
>
> > wrote
>
>>I'm in the same boat as you. I feed my cats the Royal Canin Venison
>>and Peas dry food because one suffers from allergies.
>
> Sue, tell me this: how long have you fed it, and have you seen results?
> Do you have any EGC cats, is that the sort of allergies they have? Gracie
> gets linear granuloma and has twice had "rodent ulcer." Also, she will get
> really runny stool if she goes too long without a shot. The vet says it is
> another effect of allergies.
>
>>(I feed my cat the NB venison & peas canned food, too). Much
>>cheaper than the Royal Canin you get from the vet. (I tried to feed
>>mine the NB duck & peas but he wasn't as enthusiastic about it as the
>>venison & peas).
>
> If Gracie likes this stuff you know I will look into a better value. Heck,
> I don't pay $4 a pound for meat for us! I hope the duck was the right
> choice, I only chose it because the vet said her allergic cat loves it.
> Gracie eats Purina One Salmon usually, she loves it. It would be so
> cool to get her off of Depo shots. As cats get older (same with us)
> their systems are more fragile, and I worry about diabetes and other
> things the shots might bring on.
>
>>Also, if your cat won't eat canned foods but you
>>want to get more moisture in her diet, you could add some water to the
>>dry food...makes it a little soft. Just an idea...
>
> An excellent idea. I might even start her out that way.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>

cybercat
March 26th 08, 04:28 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well, to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what kind of allergies my cat
> suffers from or if he's truly allergic at all. He began getting these
> sores on his mouth. Like rodent ulcers...but he never has had allergies
> problems like lesions on his legs, etc. like you see on other cats with
> allergies. (My vet says he's lucky.) He itches a bit more than usual, but
> not really excessive. Vet still thought that the sores on his mouth might
> be allergy related...not sure if it was food allergies or environmental.
> We were fortunate...treated him with antibiotics and not the typical
> steroid shots. We also decided to put him on a limited ingredient diet,
> thus the venison and peas. Sores cleared up. Then he began having issues
> with the pads on his paws...swollen, sores...along with sores on mouth.
> Vet thought again it may be allergies or may be a immune system problem
> (but then again, isn't that what an allergy is??). Once again, we treated
> him with antibiotics, no steroids, continued with the allergy food.
> Problem cleared up.

I would say the food is working for you! This is very good news. Hope it
works
for Gracie. Her problems are not seasonal at all, the time of year does not
seem
to matter, rather the time between Depo shots. On the good side, she has not
had
a real asthma attack in over a year. Thanks for the input.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Sheelagh>\o\
March 27th 08, 01:04 AM
On Mar 25, 10:08*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote
>
>
>
> > Heck for $32 bucks I could buy some venison or duck *several pounds of it
> > and feed it to them in a *raw diet
>
> Yeah, it is high. Good news is, if she doesn't like it, I can take it back
> and
> get a refund.
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account fromhttp://www.teranews.com

Heck,
this one made me laugh my sox off, cuz I would have thought in
exactly the same way/ thing!! The implication's are quite double
edged, Lol
Sheelagh>"o"<

cybercat
March 27th 08, 05:42 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote
>
> I know that many here have strong feelings about Atopica
> (cyclosporine) but Shamrock has been on it for probably almost 3
> years now, but I can't remember right now exactly when he started
> it. I don't know if it would work for food allergies, and unknown
> about asthma, but for Shamrock's EGC it has been a miracle.

I have heard nothing about this stuff, wonder how I missed it?

Last
> year he needed a little extra help from a Depo shot for a flare-up,
> but other than that he has been shot-free for about 2 years. This
> from shots every 2-3 months. I've even been able to get his dose of
> Atopica down to 2x per week which is good because it's expensive
> and a little hard on his stomach depending on timing of his last
> meal, but very effective. I have the vet do a full blood panel
> every 6 months on him and only one thing has been a little
> abnormal, and that is his cholesterol is a little high. Cats don't
> have the same problem with high cholesterol that humans do but it
> could be a sign of something else. I also read that high
> cholesterol is a side-effect of humans taking cyclosporine for
> organ transfer therapy. We're watching it, but so far his quality
> of life has improved 1000%.

I'll read up on the Atopica in the context of EGC and asthma,
too. The vets' take seems to be that the Depo Medrol is worth
the risk because she has both. But she is age 8 now, and I don't
want to take any risks with her health. This little cat is the closest
thing I have seen to an angel, honestly.

>
> Good luck with the prescription food and let us know how it works.
>

Thanks, Cheryl. I'll speak with the vet about Atopica, too. So far,
Gracie does not want the Royal Canin. She actually begged for canned
food and she never begs for anything.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

cybercat
March 27th 08, 05:46 AM
"Sheelagh>"o"<" > wrote in message
...
On Mar 25, 10:08 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote
>
>
>
> > Heck for $32 bucks I could buy some venison or duck several pounds of it
> > and feed it to them in a raw diet
>
> Yeah, it is high. Good news is, if she doesn't like it, I can take it back
> and
> get a refund.
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account fromhttp://www.teranews.com

>Heck,this one made me laugh my sox off, cuz I would have thought in
>exactly the same way/ thing!! The implication's are quite double edged, Lol
>Sheelagh>"o"<


:) hahaha!

They really are double-edged, I had not seen that.

You know I will find a way to pay for it if she likes it and it helps ...
but,
REALLY! $32 for eight pounds? It is a good thing they will take it back
if she won't eat it.

Sheelagh, we have some catching up to do. I will be emailing you from this
"cyberpurrs" address when I get a break tomorrow. I have a tale that will
make you laugh your socks off. Laughter is the best medicine!! Last laughter
is even better. ;)



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

CatNipped[_2_]
March 27th 08, 02:21 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
>
> "Sheelagh>"o"<" > wrote in message
> ...
> On Mar 25, 10:08 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Matthew" > wrote
>>
>>
>>
>> > Heck for $32 bucks I could buy some venison or duck several pounds of
>> > it
>> > and feed it to them in a raw diet
>>
>> Yeah, it is high. Good news is, if she doesn't like it, I can take it
>> back
>> and
>> get a refund.
>>
>> --
>> Posted via a free Usenet account fromhttp://www.teranews.com
>
>>Heck,this one made me laugh my sox off, cuz I would have thought in
>>exactly the same way/ thing!! The implication's are quite double edged,
>>Lol
>>Sheelagh>"o"<
>
>
> :) hahaha!
>
> They really are double-edged, I had not seen that.
>
> You know I will find a way to pay for it if she likes it and it helps ...
> but,
> REALLY! $32 for eight pounds? It is a good thing they will take it back
> if she won't eat it.
>
> Sheelagh, we have some catching up to do. I will be emailing you from this
> "cyberpurrs" address when I get a break tomorrow. I have a tale that will
> make you laugh your socks off. Laughter is the best medicine!! Last
> laughter
> is even better. ;)

Ooooo, tell me too - I could use a good last laugh, who got their
come-uppence (wasn't me was it??? ;>)

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>

cybercat
March 27th 08, 04:16 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote :
>
> Ooooo, tell me too - I could use a good last laugh, who got their
> come-uppence (wasn't me was it??? ;>)
>

No, CN, but I bet you can guess who. :)



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

CatNipped[_2_]
March 27th 08, 06:01 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
>
> "CatNipped" > wrote :
>>
>> Ooooo, tell me too - I could use a good last laugh, who got their
>> come-uppence (wasn't me was it??? ;>)
>>
>
> No, CN, but I bet you can guess who. :)

Yes, I think I know who - I just don't know what!!? ;> My own fault for
going missing in action here for so long.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>

cybercat
March 27th 08, 07:00 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> Yes, I think I know who - I just don't know what!!? ;> My own fault for
> going missing in action here for so long.
>

Oh, nooo, this has not been in the group since last summer. It's hilarious.

I'll take it to email, tell you the whole delicious story as soon as I get a
break.

The group has been nicely "about cats" for a good long while now, and it's
nice to see! I'll do my part to keep it that way.

Meanwhile, you have a good laugh coming, trust me.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

CatNipped[_2_]
March 27th 08, 07:34 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
>
> "CatNipped" > wrote
>> Yes, I think I know who - I just don't know what!!? ;> My own fault for
>> going missing in action here for so long.
>>
>
> Oh, nooo, this has not been in the group since last summer. It's
> hilarious.
>
> I'll take it to email, tell you the whole delicious story as soon as I get
> a break.
>
> The group has been nicely "about cats" for a good long while now, and it's
> nice to see! I'll do my part to keep it that way.
>
> Meanwhile, you have a good laugh coming, trust me.

Ooooo I can't wait! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

>
>
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>

cybercat
March 30th 08, 07:29 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
...
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "CatNipped" > wrote :
>>>
>>> Ooooo, tell me too - I could use a good last laugh, who got their
>>> come-uppence (wasn't me was it??? ;>)
>>>
>>
>> No, CN, but I bet you can guess who. :)
>
> Yes, I think I know who - I just don't know what!!? ;> My own fault for
> going missing in action here for so long.
>
> Hugs,
>


Check your mail! :)



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

CatNipped[_2_]
March 31st 08, 03:12 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
>
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> ...
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>
>>> "CatNipped" > wrote :
>>>>
>>>> Ooooo, tell me too - I could use a good last laugh, who got their
>>>> come-uppence (wasn't me was it??? ;>)
>>>>
>>>
>>> No, CN, but I bet you can guess who. :)
>>
>> Yes, I think I know who - I just don't know what!!? ;> My own fault for
>> going missing in action here for so long.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>
>
> Check your mail! :)

Shoot, I didn't get it. Could you please resend to CatNipped (at)
PossiblePlaces (dot) com?

Hugs,

CatNipped

>
>
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>

Sheelagh>\o\
March 31st 08, 03:55 PM
On Mar 27, 5:46*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sheelagh>"o"<" > wrote in message
>
> ...
> On Mar 25, 10:08 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > "Matthew" > wrote
>
> > > Heck for $32 bucks I could buy some venison or duck several pounds of it
> > > and feed it to them in a raw diet
>
> > Yeah, it is high. Good news is, if she doesn't like it, I can take it back
> > and
> > get a refund.
>
> > --
> > Posted via a free Usenet account fromhttp://www.teranews.com
> >Heck,this one made me laugh *my sox off, cuz I would have thought in
> >exactly the same way/ thing!! The implication's are quite double edged, Lol
> >Sheelagh>"o"<
>
> :) hahaha!
>
> They really are double-edged, I had not seen that.
>
> You know I will find a way to pay for it if she likes it and it helps ...
> but,
> REALLY! $32 for eight pounds? It is a good thing they will take it back
> if she won't eat it.
>
> Sheelagh, we have some catching up to do. I will be emailing you from this
> "cyberpurrs" address when I get a break tomorrow. I have a tale that will
> make you laugh your socks off. Laughter is the best medicine!! Last laughter
> is even better. ;)
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account fromhttp://www.teranews.com- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

. I have a tale that will
> make you laugh your socks off. Laughter is the best medicine!! Last laughter
> is even better. ;)

That is Oh so True! I can tell you from experience, it does ease the
worry line's on my forehead, Lol! Haven't seen it arrive yet. If you
have, it might have got trapped in the firewall. Any chance you could
re-send please? Many thanks,
Sheelagh >"o"<

zob
March 31st 08, 06:59 PM
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:09:30 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Okay, so Gracie has ESG (allergy syndrome) and asthma. She had been getting
>Depo Medrol shots as rarely as twice a year, and was doing well, no lesions
>on the backs of her legs, no "rodent ulcer," little itchiness. But recently
>she has needed shots every three months or so. We want to keep them at a
>minimum because steroids can have several negative side effects, including
>diabetes.
>
>When she got her shot today, the doctor gave me the "alternative protein"
>allergy talk, saying that rather than grains, cats are usually allergic to
>proteins. I had a choice of venison or duck, and I chose duck.
>
>It's dry because, this little cat, now 7 lbs 12 oz, is just not interested
>in wet food enough to keep enough weight on if I feed her only wet.
>
>But is is $32 for an 8 lb bag! Whew.
>
>We'll see how it works.
Good luck. When I tried to giv e my cat the rpescribed grean peas
and duck, he backed up to his food dish and tried to bury it. There
was no mistaking what he thought about *that* food!

Zob

-----
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

CatNipped[_2_]
March 31st 08, 07:20 PM
"zob" <[email protected] cox.net> wrote in message
...
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:09:30 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>Okay, so Gracie has ESG (allergy syndrome) and asthma. She had been
>>getting
>>Depo Medrol shots as rarely as twice a year, and was doing well, no
>>lesions
>>on the backs of her legs, no "rodent ulcer," little itchiness. But
>>recently
>>she has needed shots every three months or so. We want to keep them at a
>>minimum because steroids can have several negative side effects, including
>>diabetes.
>>
>>When she got her shot today, the doctor gave me the "alternative protein"
>>allergy talk, saying that rather than grains, cats are usually allergic to
>>proteins. I had a choice of venison or duck, and I chose duck.
>>
>>It's dry because, this little cat, now 7 lbs 12 oz, is just not interested
>>in wet food enough to keep enough weight on if I feed her only wet.
>>
>>But is is $32 for an 8 lb bag! Whew.
>>
>>We'll see how it works.
> Good luck. When I tried to giv e my cat the rpescribed grean peas
> and duck, he backed up to his food dish and tried to bury it. There
> was no mistaking what he thought about *that* food!

LOL! I've gotten that reaction to some of the Science Diet prescription
canned food (they didn't have a problem with the dry). I finally settled
for Fancy Feast canned since I wanted to get the boys off of all dry food.

Hugs,

CatNipped

>
> Zob
>
> -----
> Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic
>
>