PDA

View Full Version : My kitten is bored

March 25th 08, 09:12 PM
Hi everyone

Jack and Jessica are 9 month old tuxedos. Jack is a loveable slug.
He's happy to play for an hour, sleep for 8, get some love, and grab a
bite to eat. Jessica is different. She's very intelligent and is
constantly looking for something to occupy her time long after she has
worn Jack out. We got her the ball in the ring toy, and she loves it,
she spends a good amount of time trying to actually pull the ball
free, thankfully it hasn't worked yet. She will often bring me a mouse
when I'm sitting on the sofa, and we play this game where I hide it
under a book, between the cushions, under the table, etc and she will
pretend she is a great (black &) white hunter and go kill it and bring
it back. Repeat Repeat Repeat until I run out of hiding places. She's
had tons of mice (all missing tails, Jack likes to pull them off),
balls, catnip toys, cardboard boxes, all kinds of thingamajigs, but
she needs more stimulation, so I'm looking for suggestions. Any help
would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rene S.
March 25th 08, 09:32 PM
Have you considered clicker training her to do some tricks? Benny, one
of my cats, is this way, so I've trained him to do ten tricks (and
counting). He really enjoys it--purring the entire time--and picks up
things quickly. It's also excellent bonding time for the two of you.
For more info and a link to his video on YouTube, email me and I''ll
be happy to help.

Also, make sure to rotate their toys every couple of days so there's
something "new." You can try using the different interactive wands
(cat charmer, cat dancer, etc) to play with her. Or you can get her
used to a harness and take her outside for short "walks" for extra
stimulation.

She sounds like a wonderful, intelligent cat.

Rene

cybercat
March 25th 08, 09:38 PM
>Jessica is different. She's very intelligent and is
> constantly looking for something to occupy her time long after she has
> worn Jack out. We got her the ball in the ring toy, and she loves it,
> she spends a good amount of time trying to actually pull the ball
> free, thankfully it hasn't worked yet. She will often bring me a mouse
> when I'm sitting on the sofa, and we play this game where I hide it
> under a book, between the cushions, under the table, etc and she will
> pretend she is a great (black &) white hunter and go kill it and bring
> it back. Repeat Repeat Repeat until I run out of hiding places. She's
> had tons of mice (all missing tails, Jack likes to pull them off),
> balls, catnip toys, cardboard boxes, all kinds of thingamajigs, but
> she needs more stimulation, so I'm looking for suggestions. Any help
> would be appreciated. Thanks!

First of all, she sounds totally delightful! I also have a Great Hunter
girlycat that conquers imaginary prey. In Gracie's case it is a well-worn
rubber snake that she body slams her entire 7-lb weight on howling
fiercely. :)

Does she have a good scratcher? Gracie loves her Alpine Scratcher,
and a cat tree with danglies would be really good for your Jessica.
Another great toy that requires little from you is a fishing rod kind
of toy with a catnip mouse or feather on the end. You actually cast
it and reel it back in.

The little "turbo scratchers" with the ball in the track is a good toy
for active cats too.

You can find all these things at Petsmart, or order them online. I
would love to see pictures of your cats!

mc
March 25th 08, 09:57 PM
On Mar 25, 3:32 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> Have you considered clicker training her to do some tricks? Benny, one
> of my cats, is this way, so I've trained him to do ten tricks (and
> counting). He really enjoys it--purring the entire time--and picks up
> things quickly. It's also excellent bonding time for the two of you.
> For more info and a link to his video on YouTube, email me and I''ll
> be happy to help.
>
> Also, make sure to rotate their toys every couple of days so there's
> something "new." You can try using the different interactive wands
> (cat charmer, cat dancer, etc) to play with her. Or you can get her
> used to a harness and take her outside for short "walks" for extra
> stimulation.
>
> She sounds like a wonderful, intelligent cat.
>
> Rene

Rene, I would be interested in that clicker toy and the you tube
link...

March 25th 08, 10:46 PM
Thank you all , Rene, I just sent you an email, can't wait to see the
video, I definitely think it's something Jessica would be capable of.

I should have also mentioned that we have 6 other cats that she is
very affectionate with, but most of them just don't want to play,. We
have a scratching post, and several scratch pads to keep them all
happy and lots of toys which I think I will start rotating.

Another funny little thing about her - she is a toe sucker. Every
night she climbs over my laptop, onto my lap, flips on her back and
sucks her toe til she goes to sleep. It's really very endearing. :)

Anyway thanks again!

cybercat
March 25th 08, 11:07 PM
> wrote:
>
> Another funny little thing about her - she is a toe sucker. Every
> night she climbs over my laptop, onto my lap, flips on her back and
> sucks her toe til she goes to sleep. It's really very endearing. :)

lol! She is not our first little toesucker!

Lori, you're on!

Ravenzcat, pleeeeeease consider posting a link to a photo
site if you have one, and maybe recording the toe sucking
and hunting on video if you haven't yet!

CatNipped[_2_]
March 26th 08, 02:28 PM
> wrote in message
> Thank you all , Rene, I just sent you an email, can't wait to see the
> video, I definitely think it's something Jessica would be capable of.
>
> I should have also mentioned that we have 6 other cats that she is
> very affectionate with, but most of them just don't want to play,. We
> have a scratching post, and several scratch pads to keep them all
> happy and lots of toys which I think I will start rotating.
>
> Another funny little thing about her - she is a toe sucker. Every
> night she climbs over my laptop, onto my lap, flips on her back and
> sucks her toe til she goes to sleep. It's really very endearing. :)
>
> Anyway thanks again!

EEEEEEK! We've found another toe sucker!!! ;> I have a 20 pound rescue
(but has to have at least 99/99999999% Maine Coon ancestry) who jumps up
next to me every night and sucks her toe. Here a video:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/

or, in case the page doesn't work for you here's a link to the actual mpeg
file:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/Sammy.mpg

She sucks the toe on her left back paw so she can use her front paws for
kneading. She's done this ever since we got her (we originally thought she
was about 6 weeks old when we took her from someone trying to give her to
the rescue organization in PetsMart (in the middle of kitten season!!!) -
but now we think she was probably younger, just very big for her age. She
definitely was taken away from her mother way too early.

Her name is Samantha, but we call her Sammy or Samazon (did I mention she's
huge?)!

Hugs,

CatNipped

March 26th 08, 07:14 PM
OMG, Jessica has a kindred spirit, and a beautiful one at that! I
just watched the video and boy does that sound
familiar...."sucksucksuckpurrpurrpurrrrrr". I must get my son's camera
tonight and take a clip of Jess doing her thing. She sucks her front
left toe, which causes her to kinda wrap her paw up to her forehead
and she kneads away on her own head.

Funny, you are like the 4th person I've known of that has a Maine Coon
that sucks something! I have Lucy, who is now 8 years old, but from
the moment I brought her home at 5-6 weeks, she's sucked on my
earlobe. She still does it and will even jump up onto me when I'm
standing if I don't realize she needs to suck my ear right away. Over
the years, I've cut back on letting her do it so much because she was
trying to do it to everyone who walked through the door! The worst
was when she jumped up on the UPS man when he was making a delivery
and went right for his ear! It's funny though because most people
apparently don't have a tasty ear. She loves my husband, and she will
repeatedly try to suck his ear but she doesn't like it, so she goes
from his right ear to his left and back and forth til she gets ****ed
off and gives up. She will also occasionally suck on my hand at night
when I'm sleeping, she sleeps on my pillow because she must be the
highest cat in the room at ALL times. I could go on for days about
Lucy stories, she is another rarity.

> EEEEEEK! *We've found another toe sucker!!! *;> *I have a 20 pound rescue
> (but has to have at least 99/99999999% Maine Coon ancestry) who jumps up
> next to me every night and sucks her toe. *Here a video:
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/
>
> or, in case the page doesn't work for you here's a link to the actual mpeg
> file:
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/Sammy.mpg
>
> She sucks the toe on her left back paw so she can use her front paws for
> kneading. *She's done this ever since we got her (we originally thought she
> was about 6 weeks old when we took her from someone trying to give her to
> the rescue organization in PetsMart (in the middle of kitten season!!!) -
> but now we think she was probably younger, just very big for her age. *She
> definitely was taken away from her mother way too early.
>
> Her name is Samantha, but we call her Sammy or Samazon (did I mention she's
> huge?)!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

March 26th 08, 08:09 PM
Ok, catnip, here are some pics, I'll post some more tonight, this is
all I have at the office....I know it's a lame website, but I was in a
hurry! LOL

http://ravenzcat.myhostingspot.net/cats.html
I'll try and get jessica sucking her toe tonight to post it.

CatNipped[_2_]
March 26th 08, 08:56 PM
> wrote in message
OMG, Jessica has a kindred spirit, and a beautiful one at that! I
just watched the video and boy does that sound
familiar...."sucksucksuckpurrpurrpurrrrrr". I must get my son's camera
tonight and take a clip of Jess doing her thing. She sucks her front
left toe, which causes her to kinda wrap her paw up to her forehead
and she kneads away on her own head.

Aw, I would *LOVE* to see that - must be absolutely precious!

Funny, you are like the 4th person I've known of that has a Maine Coon
that sucks something! I have Lucy, who is now 8 years old, but from
the moment I brought her home at 5-6 weeks, she's sucked on my
earlobe.

Lucy looks a lot like Sammy! Is she very large (it's hard to tell from the
pics)?

She still does it and will even jump up onto me when I'm
standing if I don't realize she needs to suck my ear right away. Over
the years, I've cut back on letting her do it so much because she was
trying to do it to everyone who walked through the door! The worst
was when she jumped up on the UPS man when he was making a delivery
and went right for his ear!

That must have been hilarious! If she's a big as Sammy she must have given
him quite a fright!

It's funny though because most people
apparently don't have a tasty ear. She loves my husband, and she will
repeatedly try to suck his ear but she doesn't like it, so she goes
from his right ear to his left and back and forth til she gets ****ed
off and gives up. She will also occasionally suck on my hand at night
when I'm sleeping, she sleeps on my pillow because she must be the
highest cat in the room at ALL times. I could go on for days about
Lucy stories, she is another rarity.

Sammy started out sucking on my neck - I guess she figured that was close
enough for me, her new mommy, to lick her while she nursed! ;> However, I
have a sleep disorder and couldn't sleep with all the sucking and purring
going on next to my ear (plus it was hard to explain to the people at work
that all those hickies were from my cat). After the first night, I put her
in the bathroom with food, water, litter box, toys, a windup clock, and a
blanket, but I found I still couldn't sleep because I felt too guilty for
locking her up. So I went and got her to bring her back to bed with me.
When I picked her up the tip of her tail was soaking wet - she had been
sucking on that. But she quickly changed to her back toe (and the rest is
history).

Hugs,

CatNipped

> EEEEEEK! We've found another toe sucker!!! ;> I have a 20 pound rescue
> (but has to have at least 99/99999999% Maine Coon ancestry) who jumps up
> next to me every night and sucks her toe. Here a video:
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/
>
> or, in case the page doesn't work for you here's a link to the actual mpeg
> file:
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/Sammy.mpg
>
> She sucks the toe on her left back paw so she can use her front paws for
> kneading. She's done this ever since we got her (we originally thought she
> was about 6 weeks old when we took her from someone trying to give her to
> the rescue organization in PetsMart (in the middle of kitten season!!!) -
> but now we think she was probably younger, just very big for her age. She
> definitely was taken away from her mother way too early.
>
> Her name is Samantha, but we call her Sammy or Samazon (did I mention
> she's
> huge?)!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
March 26th 08, 08:56 PM
> wrote in message
> Ok, catnip, here are some pics, I'll post some more tonight, this is
> all I have at the office....I know it's a lame website, but I was in a
> hurry! LOL

Not at all. I love all the pics of your fur-babies - they're gorgeous!

> http://ravenzcat.myhostingspot.net/cats.html
> I'll try and get jessica sucking her toe tonight to post it.

I'll look forward to seeing that.

Hugs,

CatNipped

March 26th 08, 09:02 PM

> Lucy looks a lot like Sammy! *Is she very large (it's hard to tell from the
> pics)?

No, she's actually pretty small, around 6-1/2 lbs. Her babies are big
though. Max weighs 18 lbs and he's not fat, just incredibly big. He's
very long, I'll try to post a better pic of him. UU is around 12 lbs,
she looks much more like the size of a maine coon. and Sparky is the
same, he looks like an orange maine coon but no stripes. He has the
facial features and body type. i'm convinced lucy is part maine coon
because you just can't look like that and not have it in your lineage,
plus all the toes.

> Sammy started out sucking on my neck - I guess she figured that was close
> enough for me, her new mommy, to lick her while she nursed! *;> *However, I
> have a sleep disorder and couldn't sleep with all the sucking and purring
> going on next to my ear (plus it was hard to explain to the people at work
> that all those hickies were from my cat). *After the first night, I put her
> in the bathroom with food, water, litter box, toys, a windup clock, and a
> blanket, but I found I still couldn't sleep because I felt too guilty for
> locking her up. *So I went and got her to bring her back to bed with me.
> When I picked her up the tip of her tail was soaking wet - she had been
> sucking on that. *But she quickly changed to her back toe (and the rest is
> history).

OMG that's funny! The wet tail ....LOL