PDA

View Full Version : Euthanasia experiences: Dry heaving?

David McCracken
March 27th 08, 02:33 AM
My cat was put to sleep today and the vet first injected her with a sedative
that was supposed to calm her.

In a few moments, however, she began to dry heave. She did this again after
they had returned to the room with the catheter installed. Finally, the
euthanizing injection came and she was gone.

I was a bit disturbed by the dry heaving episodes. Has anyone else
experienced this when they euthanized their cat and, if so, did the vet
explain if the pet was suffering? I'm hoping to gauge how common this is.

Thank you very much.

-mhd
March 27th 08, 03:13 AM
"David McCracken" > wrote:

>My cat was put to sleep today and the vet first injected her with a sedative
>that was supposed to calm her.
>
>In a few moments, however, she began to dry heave. She did this again after
>they had returned to the room with the catheter installed. Finally, the
>euthanizing injection came and she was gone.
>
>I was a bit disturbed by the dry heaving episodes. Has anyone else
>experienced this when they euthanized their cat and, if so, did the vet
>explain if the pet was suffering? I'm hoping to gauge how common this is.
>
>Thank you very much.

My 17.5 year old Zak did the same this past Dec and the Vet warned me
in advance he might do it.

-mhd

blkcatgal
March 27th 08, 03:47 AM
I don't have anything to share about this issue, but I am sorry for the loss
your cat.

S.

"David McCracken" > wrote in message
> My cat was put to sleep today and the vet first injected her with a
> sedative that was supposed to calm her.
>
> In a few moments, however, she began to dry heave. She did this again
> after they had returned to the room with the catheter installed. Finally,
> the euthanizing injection came and she was gone.
>
> I was a bit disturbed by the dry heaving episodes. Has anyone else
> experienced this when they euthanized their cat and, if so, did the vet
> explain if the pet was suffering? I'm hoping to gauge how common this
> is.
>
> Thank you very much.

Sheelagh>\o\
March 27th 08, 05:34 PM
On Mar 27, 2:33*am, "David McCracken" >
wrote:
> My cat was put to sleep today and the vet first injected her with a sedative
> that was supposed to calm her.
>
> In a few moments, however, she began to dry heave. *She did this again after
> they had returned to the room with the catheter installed. *Finally, the
> euthanizing injection came and she was gone.
>
> I was a bit disturbed by the dry heaving episodes. *Has anyone else
> experienced this when they euthanized their cat and, if so, did the vet
> explain if the pet was suffering? * I'm hoping to gauge how common this is.
>
> Thank you very much.

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss.

Whilst I understand your concerns, I very much doubt that the vet
would have allowed her to suffer whilst he was trying to make her
passing as easily as was possible under the circumstances.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you how common it is- but judging by what -
mhd had to say, it might have been an idea to warn you that this was a
possible reaction.

Purrs of peace en route to you, to ease the pain of her passing over
the Rainbow bridge. You gave her the hardest gift a slave can give to
their master's & Mistress's. The gift of love when they need you to
most.
Be @ ease & peace with yourself. She loved you for who you were,
unconditionally
.