PDA

View Full Version : hair comes out in chunks when pulled

robro
March 27th 08, 05:07 PM
I have an indoor only cat (lives at my office after being evicted from
the house by my wife almost 2 years ago). He's a long hair about 8
years old. I'm not normally in the habit of grooming him as he hates
being brushed so I've just let him be for the most part. This past
week though I decided that I was going to clean him up. He had some
small clumps of hair around his collar, so I removed his collar and
brushed him out as best as I could. There were still clumps so I
tried to see if I could brush through them and break them apart with
my fingers but found the hair pulls right out without bothering him.
I felt all over his body and found a few areas with small clumps and
the hair in those areas pulled right out as well.

This sounds a little odd to me and I'm not sure if it's because spring
is coming, if it's normal, or because of his diet (I feed him twice a
day, about 3oz of dry food at a time and use Innova Reduced Fat as
he's overweight. I realize wet food would be good as well but I have
not been giving him wet).

I see no sores, feel no problems with his skin, though his fur is a
bit dull. Any thoughts?

Rene S.
March 27th 08, 06:26 PM
> This sounds a little odd to me and I'm not sure if it's because spring
> is coming, if it's normal, or because of his diet (I feed him twice a
> day, about 3oz of dry food at a time and use Innova Reduced Fat as
> he's overweight. *I realize wet food would be good as well but I have
> not been giving him wet).

Food has everything to do with the appearance of his coat (and his
overall health too). I noticed a huge difference in my Tucker's coat
when I switched to an all-canned diet. Less shedding, fewer hairballs,
and a generally more glossy coat.

My guess is that, since he's long hair and hasn't been regularly
groomed, is that he's just shedding. If you see any more mats that are
close to the skin, I'd recommend taking him to a groomer and have them
shave the area. Once his fur is mat free, keep brushing him on a
regular schedule. I really like the Furminator--it really gets the
hair out--but use whatever brush your cat will tolerate. Some cats
love the rubber Zoom Groom vs. a metal brush.

robro
March 28th 08, 01:54 AM
On Mar 27, 2:26 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > This sounds a little odd to me and I'm not sure if it's because spring
> > is coming, if it's normal, or because of his diet (I feed him twice a
> > day, about 3oz of dry food at a time and use Innova Reduced Fat as
> > he's overweight. I realize wet food would be good as well but I have
> > not been giving him wet).
>
> Food has everything to do with the appearance of his coat (and his
> overall health too). I noticed a huge difference in my Tucker's coat
> when I switched to an all-canned diet. Less shedding, fewer hairballs,
> and a generally more glossy coat.
>
> My guess is that, since he's long hair and hasn't been regularly
> groomed, is that he's just shedding. If you see any more mats that are
> close to the skin, I'd recommend taking him to a groomer and have them
> shave the area. Once his fur is mat free, keep brushing him on a
> regular schedule. I really like the Furminator--it really gets the
> hair out--but use whatever brush your cat will tolerate. Some cats
> love the rubber Zoom Groom vs. a metal brush.

Thanks, I"ll take a look at some of the brushes you mentioned
but I don't think it will matter, he HATES being brushed. He wraps
all 4 paws around the brush and bites the brush and my hand if I
even go near him with the thing. It doesn't matter where I try to
brush, if he even just sees it, he goes into attack the brush mode :).
I'll see if I can mix in some wet food, I used to use Welness but my
local source dried up and with the price of gas, it's a LONG drive
to the closest place that carries it. I'll look into some of the
alternatives. I'm sure the store where I buy Innova must have
something of quality (Innova wet perhaps?)

blkcatgal
March 28th 08, 03:46 AM
The Innova canned food would be a good option. Also, canned food is less in
calories than dry so that would be another reason to switch your cat over to
canned since you said he was overweight.

As far a grooming tools, I had a glove that was for grooming. It had rubber
nubs on the palm part. You would wear the glove and just pet your cat and
it would help remove loose fur, etc. I'm not sure if such a glove is
available anymore, but you could check the pet stores or maybe online
somewhere.

S.
---
"robro" > wrote in message
> On Mar 27, 2:26 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
>> > This sounds a little odd to me and I'm not sure if it's because spring
>> > is coming, if it's normal, or because of his diet (I feed him twice a
>> > day, about 3oz of dry food at a time and use Innova Reduced Fat as
>> > he's overweight. I realize wet food would be good as well but I have
>> > not been giving him wet).
>>
>> Food has everything to do with the appearance of his coat (and his
>> overall health too). I noticed a huge difference in my Tucker's coat
>> when I switched to an all-canned diet. Less shedding, fewer hairballs,
>> and a generally more glossy coat.
>>
>> My guess is that, since he's long hair and hasn't been regularly
>> groomed, is that he's just shedding. If you see any more mats that are
>> close to the skin, I'd recommend taking him to a groomer and have them
>> shave the area. Once his fur is mat free, keep brushing him on a
>> regular schedule. I really like the Furminator--it really gets the
>> hair out--but use whatever brush your cat will tolerate. Some cats
>> love the rubber Zoom Groom vs. a metal brush.
>
> Thanks, I"ll take a look at some of the brushes you mentioned
> but I don't think it will matter, he HATES being brushed. He wraps
> all 4 paws around the brush and bites the brush and my hand if I
> even go near him with the thing. It doesn't matter where I try to
> brush, if he even just sees it, he goes into attack the brush mode :).
> I'll see if I can mix in some wet food, I used to use Welness but my
> local source dried up and with the price of gas, it's a LONG drive
> to the closest place that carries it. I'll look into some of the
> alternatives. I'm sure the store where I buy Innova must have
> something of quality (Innova wet perhaps?)

Rene S.
March 28th 08, 01:13 PM
On Mar 27, 10:46*pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> The Innova canned food would be a good option. *Also, canned food is less in
> calories than dry so that would be another reason to switch your cat over to
> canned since you said he was overweight.
>
> As far a grooming tools, I had a glove that was for grooming. *It had rubber
> nubs on the palm part. *You would wear the glove and just pet your cat and
> it would help remove loose fur, etc. *I'm not sure if such a glove is
> available anymore, but you could check the pet stores or maybe online
> somewhere.

Innova is a good brand, and Nature's Variety raw or canned is
excellent as well.

I believe those gloves are still available. If you can't find them at
a pet store, try a place like Harriet Carter, where they tend to sell
the unusual. Have you tried taking him out on a harness and brushing
him that way. I've found it works great with my cats. They are
distracted by outside sounds/smells, and I can brush away.

blkcatgal
March 29th 08, 12:09 AM
That's how I clip my cats' claws....I take them outside and they are so
distracted by being outside, I can trim those nails in no time flat!

S.
---
"Rene S." > wrote in message
On Mar 27, 10:46 pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> The Innova canned food would be a good option. Also, canned food is less
> in
> calories than dry so that would be another reason to switch your cat over
> canned since you said he was overweight.
>
> As far a grooming tools, I had a glove that was for grooming. It had
> rubber
> nubs on the palm part. You would wear the glove and just pet your cat and
> it would help remove loose fur, etc. I'm not sure if such a glove is
> available anymore, but you could check the pet stores or maybe online
> somewhere.

Innova is a good brand, and Nature's Variety raw or canned is
excellent as well.

I believe those gloves are still available. If you can't find them at
a pet store, try a place like Harriet Carter, where they tend to sell
the unusual. Have you tried taking him out on a harness and brushing
him that way. I've found it works great with my cats. They are
distracted by outside sounds/smells, and I can brush away.

robro
March 29th 08, 01:23 AM
On Mar 28, 8:09 pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> That's how I clip my cats' claws....I take them outside and they are so
> distracted by being outside, I can trim those nails in no time flat!
>
> S.
> --
> **Visit me and my cats athttp://www.island-cats.com/**
> ---"Rene S." > wrote in message

> On Mar 27, 10:46 pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
>
> > The Innova canned food would be a good option. Also, canned food is less
> > in
> > calories than dry so that would be another reason to switch your cat over
> > canned since you said he was overweight.
>
> > As far a grooming tools, I had a glove that was for grooming. It had
> > rubber
> > nubs on the palm part. You would wear the glove and just pet your cat and
> > it would help remove loose fur, etc. I'm not sure if such a glove is
> > available anymore, but you could check the pet stores or maybe online
> > somewhere.
>
> Innova is a good brand, and Nature's Variety raw or canned is
> excellent as well.
>
> I believe those gloves are still available. If you can't find them at
> a pet store, try a place like Harriet Carter, where they tend to sell
> the unusual. Have you tried taking him out on a harness and brushing
> him that way. I've found it works great with my cats. They are
> distracted by outside sounds/smells, and I can brush away.

Yeah we've tried the harness thing, in fact we tried to train him from
when he was a kitten with the intent of being able to walk him, but
it didn't work well. Once the cats came back inside, they would all
go nuts trying to kill each other. I just noticed our 3yr old long
hair
female at home is having similar issues, so it's probably just the
whole spring shedding thing. The glove brush thing sounds kind of
cool though and I'll check out the website mentioned above. Thanks
for the tip.

mc
March 29th 08, 05:16 AM
On Mar 28, 8:23 pm, robro > wrote:
> On Mar 28, 8:09 pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
>

> Yeah we've tried the harness thing, in fact we tried to train him from
> when he was a kitten with the intent of being able to walk him, but
> it didn't work well. Once the cats came back inside, they would all
> go nuts trying to kill each other. I just noticed our 3yr old long
> hair
> female at home is having similar issues, so it's probably just the
> whole spring shedding thing. The glove brush thing sounds kind of
> cool though and I'll check out the website mentioned above. Thanks
> for the tip.

I also thought I would add that if you cannot find canned food close
by, and do not feel like doing mail order (which is actually very
convenient and a good suggestion) some pet suppliers will be willing
to order the canned food for you at a discount on the shipping... This
would include pets stores and also many feed stores (larger animal
type feed stores).

Just a though :-)

Good luck ;-)

blkcatgal
March 29th 08, 01:12 PM
That's a good suggestion. When I was looking for a particular brand of cat
food which my local pet store did not carry, I asked the owner if he could
order it for me. He agreed and he didn't charge me for shipping at all. Of
course, I had to buy at least a case of the canned food (which wasn't a big
deal).

All you have to do is ask.

S.
---
"mc" > wrote in message
> On Mar 28, 8:23 pm, robro > wrote:
>> On Mar 28, 8:09 pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
>>

>> Yeah we've tried the harness thing, in fact we tried to train him from
>> when he was a kitten with the intent of being able to walk him, but
>> it didn't work well. Once the cats came back inside, they would all
>> go nuts trying to kill each other. I just noticed our 3yr old long
>> hair
>> female at home is having similar issues, so it's probably just the
>> whole spring shedding thing. The glove brush thing sounds kind of
>> cool though and I'll check out the website mentioned above. Thanks
>> for the tip.
>

> I also thought I would add that if you cannot find canned food close
> by, and do not feel like doing mail order (which is actually very
> convenient and a good suggestion) some pet suppliers will be willing
> to order the canned food for you at a discount on the shipping... This
> would include pets stores and also many feed stores (larger animal
> type feed stores).
>
> Just a though :-)
>
> Good luck ;-)

mc
March 29th 08, 04:30 PM
On Mar 29, 8:12 am, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> That's a good suggestion. When I was looking for a particular brand of cat
> food which my local pet store did not carry, I asked the owner if he could
> order it for me. He agreed and he didn't charge me for shipping at all. Of
> course, I had to buy at least a case of the canned food (which wasn't a big
> deal).
>
> All you have to do is ask.

Hey Blkcatgal,

How is your newest member of the family doing? Is she adjusting pretty
well? Have you accomplished the full intros with your other cats yet?

Is she getting friendlier?

Thanks!
Melissa ;-)

blkcatgal
March 29th 08, 05:41 PM
Hi Melissa, thanks for asking about Zoey. She is doing very well. She
finally seems to be warming up to me. Not totally trusting me, but it is
getting better. Of course, if I have food, I am her best friend! :-) She
will still run from me if I approach her but I'm beginning to think that's
just the way she is going to be. She's now coming up the basement steps and
sitting at the door. My husband thinks she is getting bored with being in
the basement, but I think she is fine. We are still keeping her isolated
from the other 2 cats. After talking with a few people, including my vet's
office, they all recommended that I keep her isolated for at least 8 weeks
and then have her retested for FeLV/FIV (it's been 6 weeks now since we
caught her). My vet recommends 12 weeks but I don't think I'm going to be
able to hold out for that long. I don't think there's going to be a problem
but I'm erring on the side of caution. And I'm going out of town for a few
days next week so when I get back, the introductions will begin. My other 2
cats have been sniffing her through the door, etc. I've tried the sock
trick trying to get my resident cats use to the new cat's smells and vice
versa. I have real concerns about my one cat and how he is going to handle
all of this. He smells the sock and starts hissing and growling and then
will go after the other cat. I know, redirected aggression. Guess we'll
have to take these introductions nice and slow.

Thanks for asking. I'll keep you posted.

S.
---

"mc" > wrote in message
> On Mar 29, 8:12 am, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
>> That's a good suggestion. When I was looking for a particular brand of
>> cat
>> food which my local pet store did not carry, I asked the owner if he
>> could
>> order it for me. He agreed and he didn't charge me for shipping at all.
>> Of
>> course, I had to buy at least a case of the canned food (which wasn't a
>> big
>> deal).
>>
>> All you have to do is ask.
>

> Hey Blkcatgal,
>
> How is your newest member of the family doing? Is she adjusting pretty
> well? Have you accomplished the full intros with your other cats yet?
>
> Is she getting friendlier?
>
> Thanks!
> Melissa ;-)

blkcatgal
March 29th 08, 06:00 PM
Here's a couple of photos of Zoey.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x17/blkcatgal/IMG_0193a.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x17/blkcatgal/IMG_0218.jpg

S.
---
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Hi Melissa, thanks for asking about Zoey. She is doing very well. She
> finally seems to be warming up to me. Not totally trusting me, but it is
> getting better. Of course, if I have food, I am her best friend! :-) She
> will still run from me if I approach her but I'm beginning to think that's
> just the way she is going to be. She's now coming up the basement steps
> and sitting at the door. My husband thinks she is getting bored with
> being in the basement, but I think she is fine. We are still keeping her
> isolated from the other 2 cats. After talking with a few people,
> including my vet's office, they all recommended that I keep her isolated
> for at least 8 weeks and then have her retested for FeLV/FIV (it's been 6
> weeks now since we caught her). My vet recommends 12 weeks but I don't
> think I'm going to be able to hold out for that long. I don't think
> there's going to be a problem but I'm erring on the side of caution. And
> I'm going out of town for a few days next week so when I get back, the
> introductions will begin. My other 2 cats have been sniffing her through
> the door, etc. I've tried the sock trick trying to get my resident cats
> use to the new cat's smells and vice versa. I have real concerns about my
> one cat and how he is going to handle all of this. He smells the sock and
> starts hissing and growling and then will go after the other cat. I know,
> redirected aggression. Guess we'll have to take these introductions nice
> and slow.
>
> Thanks for asking. I'll keep you posted.
>
> S.
> --
> **Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/ **
> ---
>
> "mc" > wrote in message
>> On Mar 29, 8:12 am, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
>>> That's a good suggestion. When I was looking for a particular brand of
>>> cat
>>> food which my local pet store did not carry, I asked the owner if he
>>> could
>>> order it for me. He agreed and he didn't charge me for shipping at all.
>>> Of
>>> course, I had to buy at least a case of the canned food (which wasn't a
>>> big
>>> deal).
>>>
>>> All you have to do is ask.
>>

>> Hey Blkcatgal,
>>
>> How is your newest member of the family doing? Is she adjusting pretty
>> well? Have you accomplished the full intros with your other cats yet?
>>
>> Is she getting friendlier?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Melissa ;-)

22brix
March 29th 08, 06:28 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Here's a couple of photos of Zoey.
> http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x17/blkcatgal/IMG_0193a.jpg
> http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x17/blkcatgal/IMG_0218.jpg
>
> S.

She is absolutely gorgeous! Good luck introducing them--I have mostly had
good experiences but was too impatient with one of my rescues. Now there is
an uneasy truce--every once in awhile fur will fly. Cats can be so silly
sometimes!

Bonnie

mc
March 29th 08, 07:02 PM
On Mar 29, 1:28 pm, "22brix" > wrote:
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message

> > Here's a couple of photos of Zoey.
> >http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x17/blkcatgal/IMG_0193a.jpg
> >http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x17/blkcatgal/IMG_0218.jpg
>
> > S.

She is gorgeous!!! What a sweetie! Thanks for sharing those beautiful
pictures! Adorable!

I am with that, mostly good experiences with intros... I have a
feeling waiting the couple of extra weeks will help with that as
well ;-)

Lots of luck ;-)