PDA

View Full Version : Daisy, bald spots?

cshenk
March 27th 08, 06:40 PM
I am not sure if this is just her shedding behavior but she's developing
some near bald spots. The skin under looks pink and healthy. One seems to
have been the flea medicine given the day we took her home.

I've never experienced this before. She has a vet appointment in a little
less than 2 weeks. She still hides in the daytime (perhaps always will,
some cats are more strongly nocternal than others). he comes out in evening
just as the sun sets to play with us and stare Cash down <g>. She seems
otherwise totally healthy.

She is currently on dry free feeding food (drinks lots of water) but I plan
to convert her to wet food (at least mostly). She loves her dashi (fish
stock broth) and last time I added just a little diblit of duck fat and she
lapped up all 4 TB in about 3 mins. Prhaps she isnt getting the proper fats
in her diet?

Any ideas?

Bobblespin
March 27th 08, 06:43 PM
cshenk wrote:
> I am not sure if this is just her shedding behavior but she's developing
> some near bald spots. The skin under looks pink and healthy. One seems to
> have been the flea medicine given the day we took her home.
>
> I've never experienced this before. She has a vet appointment in a little
> less than 2 weeks. She still hides in the daytime (perhaps always will,
> some cats are more strongly nocternal than others). he comes out in evening
> just as the sun sets to play with us and stare Cash down <g>. She seems
> otherwise totally healthy.
>
> She is currently on dry free feeding food (drinks lots of water) but I plan
> to convert her to wet food (at least mostly). She loves her dashi (fish
> stock broth) and last time I added just a little diblit of duck fat and she
> lapped up all 4 TB in about 3 mins. Prhaps she isnt getting the proper fats
> in her diet?
>
> Any ideas?

Mine sometimes gets a bald spot where we put the Advantage flea
treatment. Not every time though. Doesn't hurt him otherwise and it
grows back in.

Bobble

cshenk
March 27th 08, 06:56 PM
"Bobblespin" wrote
> cshenk wrote:
>> I am not sure if this is just her shedding behavior but she's developing
>> some near bald spots. The skin under looks pink and healthy. One seems
>> to have been the flea medicine given the day we took her home.
>>
> Mine sometimes gets a bald spot where we put the Advantage flea treatment.
> Not every time though. Doesn't hurt him otherwise and it grows back in.

Same here, seems to be growing in. I'm wondering if she accidently 'spred'
the flea medicine due to hiding under the sofa in the daytime and is
reacting to the spread? The new stuff is a sort of hypnoallegenic but it's
not due to be given to her for anothr 2 weeks almost.

Rene S.
March 27th 08, 08:45 PM
> I've never experienced this before. *She has a vet appointment in a little
> less than 2 weeks. *She still hides in the daytime (perhaps always will,
> some cats are more strongly nocternal than others). *he comes out in evening
> just as the sun sets to play with us and stare Cash down <g>. *She seems
> otherwise totally healthy.

Have you noticed her pulling her fur out while grooming? Sometimes
cats do this from anxiety (one of mine did). Another possibility is a
food allergy. It would not hurt to try a canned food without grains
(such as Wellness) because grains often cause allergy problems.
Certainly ask your vet about this to rule out any medical problem
first.

cshenk
March 30th 08, 02:36 AM
"Rhonda" wrote

> Where are her bald spots? Spots on the face tend to be food allergies,
> spots around the middle back and base of tail are many times flea
> allergies.
>
> You might want to just call in to the vet and see if it could be something
> they'd want to check right away.

Thanks Rhonda! Since posting that (should have made a close out) can't
find the spots other than the little one where the flea medicine apparently
bothered her. They seem to have grown back in. Possibly stress related?
Now, looking at her ears. Shes got an appointment in 10 days for the vet.
She seems to have a persistant ear mite problem.

Rhonda[_3_]
March 30th 08, 03:25 AM
Where are her bald spots? Spots on the face tend to be food allergies,
spots around the middle back and base of tail are many times flea allergies.

You might want to just call in to the vet and see if it could be
something they'd want to check right away.

Rhonda

cshenk wrote:
> I am not sure if this is just her shedding behavior but she's developing
> some near bald spots. The skin under looks pink and healthy. One seems to
> have been the flea medicine given the day we took her home.
>
> I've never experienced this before. She has a vet appointment in a little
> less than 2 weeks. She still hides in the daytime (perhaps always will,
> some cats are more strongly nocternal than others). he comes out in evening
> just as the sun sets to play with us and stare Cash down <g>. She seems
> otherwise totally healthy.
>
> She is currently on dry free feeding food (drinks lots of water) but I plan
> to convert her to wet food (at least mostly). She loves her dashi (fish
> stock broth) and last time I added just a little diblit of duck fat and she
> lapped up all 4 TB in about 3 mins. Prhaps she isnt getting the proper fats
> in her diet?
>
> Any ideas?

Sheelagh>\o\
March 30th 08, 01:25 PM
On Mar 30, 2:36*am, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Rhonda" wrote
>
> > Where are her bald spots? Spots on the face tend to be food allergies,
> > spots around the middle back and base of tail are many times flea
> > allergies.
>
> > You might want to just call in to the vet and see if it could be something
> > they'd want to check right away.
>
> Thanks Rhonda! *Since posting that (should have made a close out) *can't
> find the spots other than the little one where the flea medicine apparently
> bothered her. *They seem to have grown back in. *Possibly stress related?
> Now, looking at her ears. *Shes got an appointment in 10 days for the vet.

blkcatgal
March 30th 08, 04:30 PM
It's my understanding that ear mites are contagious so it's not surprising
the other cats in the household have them now. My one cat had problems with
ear mites at one time. The vet gave me some medication...drops that you put
into the ear...can't remember what it was called....it began with a T, that
I do remember. Seemed to do the trick. The stray that I recently brought
in also had a bad case of ear mites. The vet cleaned her ears out good and
treated her with Revolution. Vet said that the Revolution would get rid of
the mites, and fleas, etc. The stray's ears look pretty good now. I'm not
sure how old a cat has to be to be treated with Revolution (or other flea
meds like this).

S.
---
"Sheelagh>"o"<" > wrote in message
On Mar 30, 2:36 am, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Rhonda" wrote
>
> > Where are her bald spots? Spots on the face tend to be food allergies,
> > spots around the middle back and base of tail are many times flea
> > allergies.
>
> > You might want to just call in to the vet and see if it could be
> > something
> > they'd want to check right away.
>
> Thanks Rhonda! Since posting that (should have made a close out) can't
> find the spots other than the little one where the flea medicine
> apparently
> bothered her. They seem to have grown back in. Possibly stress related?
> Now, looking at her ears. Shes got an appointment in 10 days for the vet.
> She seems to have a persistant ear mite problem.

This is a very interesting post..

I have a neighbor who's cat has had an ear mite problem for some 2
months now.
I have never had this problem, so when she came to me for advice, I
wasn't able to help in that instance. However, if anyone knows of a
good product that I could recommend, please? Would anyone who has
treated a similar problem let me know what you used & where the most
likely place that I would find it too?
One last thing, is it safe for a 8 week old kitten to be treated with
it?

She has 3 cat's. One of them is an old tom cat, & the other one is one
of our regulars that came to the winter feeding station, She took her
in 2 weeks before she had a single kitten. It's the mother of the
kitten that brought the infestation indoors, & Now, the kitten & Ming
have them as well?!!
TIA,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Sheelagh>\o\
March 31st 08, 03:49 PM
On Mar 30, 4:30*pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> [...]
> have them as well?!!
> TIA,
> Sheelagh >"o"<- Hide quoted text -

On Mar 30, 4:30 pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> It's my understanding that ear mites are contagious so it's not surprising
> the other cats in the household have them now. My one cat had problems with
> ear mites at one time. The vet gave me some medication...drops that you put
> into the ear...can't remember what it was called....it began with a T, that
> I do remember. Seemed to do the trick. The stray that I recently brought
> in also had a bad case of ear mites. The vet cleaned her ears out good and
> treated her with Revolution. Vet said that the Revolution would get rid of
> the mites, and fleas, etc. The stray's ears look pretty good now. I'm not
> sure how old a cat has to be to be treated with Revolution (or other flea

In my personal experience, Revolution is one of the best anti
parasitic treatment since sliced bread was invented! The only problem
is that you can't use it on kittens under 12 weeks old @ the very
least; the kitten is only 6 weeks old, so the best advice I can give
her is to call the local vet & see what she might suggest.

I don't want to tell her to try treating a cat with an unsuitable
treatment that might possibly harm the kitten in the process, & that
would be terrible thing. I guess she was asking, Just to see if she
could get out a consultation, if she could.
I am not a vet, So under the circumstance's that is what I would do.

Thank you so much for trying to help out Blkcatgal. It was
appreciated.

Sheelagh >"o"<

cshenk
March 31st 08, 05:27 PM
Sheelagh wrote

>In my personal experience, Revolution is one of the best anti
>parasitic treatment since sliced bread was invented! The only problem
>is that you can't use it on kittens under 12 weeks old @ the very

Yup! Call vet and ask. Normally this is a free call.

It's very true that is Momma has ear mites, all the kitties will get them
too and pass them around. They have to be killed off and the bedding
washed. There are a few home remedies that can be used in the interum but
the best of those arent very effective at doing more than keeping it at bay
until the kitty is older.

Sheelagh>\o\
April 6th 08, 03:49 PM
On Mar 31, 5:27*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> Sheelagh wrote
>
> >In my personal experience, Revolution is one of the best anti
> >parasitic treatment since sliced bread was invented! The only problem
> >is that you can't use it on kittens under 12 weeks old @ the very
>
> Yup! *Call vet and ask. *Normally this is a free call.
>
> It's very true that is Momma has ear mites, all the kitties will get them
> too and pass them around. *They have to be killed off and the bedding
> washed. *There are a few home remedies that can be used in the interim but
> the best of those arent very effective at doing more than keeping it at bay
> until the kitty is older.

Thanx for that info cshenk, I appreciated that. In that case, I will
tell her to call the local vet & ask for a prescription for something
appropriate for the Mother, kitten's & her old tom cat too. If he
wants to see them, then I think it is worth the consultation fee; I
hope she does too! We have never once had a case of ear mites, so I
wasn't able to advise her. Hopefully, her vet will will have a look &
prescribe something appropriate for her kitten's. It's good info for
future reference though.

Sheelagh >"o"<