PDA

View Full Version : Kitty's hungry, won't eat

Monte
March 29th 08, 10:59 PM
11 year old male, neutered. He was diabetic for a couple of years,
but at the first of the year his diabetes cured itself. Since then,
he's lost a couple of pounds, and doesn't seem to want to eat. He
went to the vet yesterday, and a series of blood tests and urinalysis
showed normal. One liver enzyme is slightly elevated, but the vet
didn't consider it to be high enough to warrant further testing. He
cries like he's hungry, but doesn't seem to want to eat. We've tried
several foods, wet and dry, but nothing seems to be what he wants.
His vet game him some appetite-stimulating pills which help, and a new
dry food (tuna-flavored) got him to eat a little bit earlier. The vet
did check his teeth and gums, which she pronounced healthy, as are his
eyes and coat.

Has anyone else experienced this? His regular food is Innova Evo,
which he ate the whole time he was diabetic. (The other two cats also
seem a little tired of it, but eat it, and are not losing weight, so I
don't think the food is bad.)

Thx,

Monte

Noon Cat Nick
March 29th 08, 11:09 PM
Monte wrote:
> 11 year old male, neutered. He was diabetic for a couple of years,
> but at the first of the year his diabetes cured itself. Since then,
> he's lost a couple of pounds, and doesn't seem to want to eat. He
> went to the vet yesterday, and a series of blood tests and urinalysis
> showed normal. One liver enzyme is slightly elevated, but the vet
> didn't consider it to be high enough to warrant further testing. He
> cries like he's hungry, but doesn't seem to want to eat. We've tried
> several foods, wet and dry, but nothing seems to be what he wants.
> His vet game him some appetite-stimulating pills which help, and a new
> dry food (tuna-flavored) got him to eat a little bit earlier. The vet
> did check his teeth and gums, which she pronounced healthy, as are his
> eyes and coat.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? His regular food is Innova Evo,
> which he ate the whole time he was diabetic. (The other two cats also
> seem a little tired of it, but eat it, and are not losing weight, so I
> don't think the food is bad.)

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00168.htm

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/anorexia.html

http://www.petplace.com/cats/anorexia-in-cats/page1.aspx

Rene S.
March 31st 08, 05:14 PM
On Mar 29, 5:59*pm, Monte > wrote:
> 11 year old male, neutered. *He was diabetic for a couple of years,
> but at the first of the year his diabetes cured itself. *Since then,
> he's lost a couple of pounds, and doesn't seem to want to eat. *He
> went to the vet yesterday, and a series of blood tests and urinalysis
> showed normal. *One liver enzyme is slightly elevated, but the vet
> didn't consider it to be high enough to warrant further testing. *He
> cries like he's hungry, but doesn't seem to want to eat. *We've tried
> several foods, wet and dry, but nothing seems to be what he wants.
> His vet game him some appetite-stimulating pills which help, and a new
> dry food (tuna-flavored) got him to eat a little bit earlier. *The vet
> did check his teeth and gums, which she pronounced healthy, as are his
> eyes and coat.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? *His regular food is Innova Evo,
> which he ate the whole time he was diabetic. *(The other two cats also
> seem a little tired of it, but eat it, and are not losing weight, so I
> don't think the food is bad.)

Has your vet considered doing an X-ray of his mouth? Like with humans,
it's possible he has dental decay that will show up on an X-ray.

Have you tried slightly warming the (canned) food? How about
sprinkling something tasty on top of the food (such as a bit of tuna
juice, a couple of sardines, a capsule of salmon oil)? You are already
feeding an excellent brand of food--but have you tried another brand
to see if that might help? Nature's Variety and Wellness canned are
good choices.