PDA

View Full Version : New Legal Status for Animals in NC

cybercat
March 30th 08, 12:05 AM
This made me happy I live in NC.

http://wral.com/news/state/story/2649115/

22brix
March 30th 08, 03:55 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
> This made me happy I live in NC.
>
> http://wral.com/news/state/story/2649115/

That's a great start--hopefully other states will follow suit. Thanks for
posting this!

Bonnie

Sheelagh>\o\
March 30th 08, 06:27 PM
On Mar 30, 1:05*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> This made me happy I live in NC.
>
> http://wral.com/news/state/story/2649115/

I'm delighted that the law is closing in on those who use Pet's as
asset's, to be divided amongst squabbling couples who have nothing
else to fight about. We have had some changes recently in the UK-
animal's Rights bill that went before Parliament, that were long
overdue. A pet is a living creature, not property to be divided like
asset's.

They (cat/ pet's) now have rights over here, which is something that
the RSPCA have been crying out for, for many years. Subsequently,
there have been several recent high profile cases where animal care
workers have gone into people's home's & found cats in horrendous
states! Kittens found dead in cat litters, Urine & faeces was so bad,
that the stench of infection & death were apparent long before they
actually found them locked in a stable - but now they have the power
to seize & prosecute the irresponsible owners, who don't deserve the
right to be loved by their poor cats. ( I'm sorry, but I feel
passionately angry about this one.)
Like you, I have little tolerance for those that get themselves into a
situation like that, then cry help when it way too late...

However well intended their action's might have been to start with,
some people get in over their head's & for one reason or another they
feel they can't go to other's for assistance with the problem's they
have inherited with the cats they initially intended to help. For
these reason's alone, the law is a salvation. I hope that proves to be
the case with you all in the USA too.

Thanx for sharing that one Cyber :o)

Sheelagh >"o"<

cybercat
March 30th 08, 07:25 PM
"Sheelagh>"o"<" > wrote

>Thanx for sharing that one Cyber :o)

You're welcome! Does that email work?

March 30th 08, 07:29 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> This made me happy I live in NC.
>>
>> http://wral.com/news/state/story/2649115/
>

> That's a great start--hopefully other states will follow suit. Thanks for
> posting this!

Welcome, Bonnie! My sister's vet declawed one of her cats when she sent her
in to get spayed. (She has siblings, so now one has front claws and one does
not.) I wanted her to sue. But was reminded that animals are just
possessions. Even if the vet killed the cat, all she could have gotten was
whatever dollar amount the court thought the cat was worth. Ugh.

22brix
March 30th 08, 07:50 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "22brix" > wrote in message
>>

>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> This made me happy I live in NC.
>>>
>>> http://wral.com/news/state/story/2649115/
>>

>> That's a great start--hopefully other states will follow suit. Thanks
>> for posting this!
>>

> Welcome, Bonnie! My sister's vet declawed one of her cats when she sent
> her in to get spayed. (She has siblings, so now one has front claws and
> one does not.) I wanted her to sue. But was reminded that animals are just
> possessions. Even if the vet killed the cat, all she could have gotten was
> whatever dollar amount the court thought the cat was worth. Ugh.
>

> --

That is awful--could the vet be reported to the licensing board? I'm no
lawyer but it seems if the vet did a procedure, especially an elective one,
against the owner's wishes, there should be some legal recourse. I would
never take another animal to that vet again. That's just terrible. Our vet
hospital doesn't do "routine" declaws and I've never been asked if I'd want
any of my cats declawed but I guess there are some places that still do.

I don't suppose there is much of a dollar amount for a cat, especially a
mutt cat. It's harder to measure the value of a pet--the companionship, the
health benefits(!), the comfort of a warm, fuzzy, purring thing sitting on
your lap; it's just quantifiable.

Enough rambling, thanks again!

Bonnie

22brix
March 30th 08, 08:13 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "22brix" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

> I don't suppose there is much of a dollar amount for a cat, especially a
> mutt cat. It's harder to measure the value of a pet--the companionship,
> the health benefits(!), the comfort of a warm, fuzzy, purring thing
> sitting on your lap; it's just quantifiable.

Should be NOT quantifiable!

Sorry,
Bonnie

cybercat
March 30th 08, 08:59 PM
"22brix" > wrote

> That is awful--could the vet be reported to the licensing board? I'm no
> lawyer but it seems if the vet did a procedure, especially an elective
> one, against the owner's wishes, there should be some legal recourse.

She would not do it. She did not want to make waves, after all, he was
so sorry. He did not even refund the money for the spays, the least he
could do in my opinion. I backed off, as she clearly did not want to
pursue anything.