PDA

View Full Version : 22 Y.O. Siamese Cat Losing Balance

Richard[_2_]
March 30th 08, 10:25 AM
My cat is very old, maybe even 23. She still eats and drinks ok, but
takes longer to drink water.

The problem has been going on for a few months. And it is really bad
now. She can't seem to walk straight and lisps over to the side. Even
when she attempts to clean her legs, she will sometimes almost fall
over to the side. I have been up all night watching her and it has
gotten really bad last 24 hours. Is it just her old age?

I noticed about 30 minutes ago she tried to go to the litter box, but
nothing happened. She defecated sometime late yesterday, but missed
the litter box.

It is Sunday, and no vets available to take her. I am certain
something is terribly amiss. I have had her since she was just a
kitten. I hope I don'thave to have her put down, but I just don't
know what to do.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Linda Boucher
March 30th 08, 12:30 PM
Hi
best thing to do is take her to the vet first thing Monday morning
Linda
> gotten really bad last 24 hours. Is it just her old age?
>
> I noticed about 30 minutes ago she tried to go to the litter box, but
> nothing happened. She defecated sometime late yesterday, but missed
> the litter box.
>
> It is Sunday, and no vets available to take her. I am certain
> something is terribly amiss. I have had her since she was just a
> kitten. I hope I don'thave to have her put down, but I just don't
> know what to do.
>
> Any suggestions.
>
> Thanks.

Riannon via CatKB.com
March 30th 08, 08:00 PM
>It is Sunday, and no vets available to take her. I am certain
>something is terribly amiss. I have had her since she was just a

Does your vet not have a # you can call for after-hours?

Richard[_2_]
March 30th 08, 08:52 PM
Thanks for replies. She is still struggling every step she takes,
although she can get from her heated bed to the kitchen to eat and
drink. Moving them closer to her.

Poor thing just can't hardly keep her balance at all. SHe is going to
litter box, and urinating. Will watch intensely until I can get her
to Vet first thing Monday morning.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 05:25:15 -0400, Richard >
wrote:

>My cat is very old, maybe even 23. She still eats and drinks ok, but
>takes longer to drink water.
>
>The problem has been going on for a few months. And it is really bad
>now. She can't seem to walk straight and lisps over to the side. Even
>when she attempts to clean her legs, she will sometimes almost fall
>over to the side. I have been up all night watching her and it has
>gotten really bad last 24 hours. Is it just her old age?
>
>I noticed about 30 minutes ago she tried to go to the litter box, but
>nothing happened. She defecated sometime late yesterday, but missed
>the litter box.
>
>It is Sunday, and no vets available to take her. I am certain
>something is terribly amiss. I have had her since she was just a
>kitten. I hope I don'thave to have her put down, but I just don't
>know what to do.
>
>Any suggestions.
>
>Thanks.

Rene S.
March 31st 08, 02:08 PM
I agree with everyone in saying call that vet first thing on Monday
morning. In the meantime, can you give her a very low-sided litter box
to help her eliminate? Something like a low-sided box or cookie sheet.
If she has poor balance, she might not be able to coordinate her steps
over a higher sided box.

Keep us posted on your elderly girl. I hope all goes well.

Richard[_2_]
April 2nd 08, 05:56 AM
Well, took her to the vet, and she has the human equivalent of
vertigo. I forget the exact term for it. Vet says that it has
something to do with her vestibula and a myriad of things can cause it
including her advanced age. He also did blood work, but I have not
heard back from him. GIving her some antibiotics......not sure why?

As for my cat, she still staggers on occassion and still slow
reflexes. Vet said that it could resolve on it's on and come back
with a vengeance. I just need to reassure and comfort her the best I
can.

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, I have a new lower sided litter
box now. Wish me luck!

wrote:

>My cat is very old, maybe even 23. She still eats and drinks ok, but
>takes longer to drink water.
>
>The problem has been going on for a few months. And it is really bad
>now. She can't seem to walk straight and lisps over to the side. Even
>when she attempts to clean her legs, she will sometimes almost fall
>over to the side. I have been up all night watching her and it has
>gotten really bad last 24 hours. Is it just her old age?
>
>I noticed about 30 minutes ago she tried to go to the litter box, but
>nothing happened. She defecated sometime late yesterday, but missed
>the litter box.
>
>It is Sunday, and no vets available to take her. I am certain
>something is terribly amiss. I have had her since she was just a
>kitten. I hope I don'thave to have her put down, but I just don't
>know what to do.
>
>Any suggestions.
>
>Thanks.

Noon Cat Nick
April 2nd 08, 08:11 AM
Richard wrote:

> Well, took her to the vet, and she has the human equivalent of
> vertigo. I forget the exact term for it. Vet says that it has
> something to do with her vestibula and a myriad of things can cause it
> including her advanced age. He also did blood work, but I have not
> heard back from him. GIving her some antibiotics......not sure why?
>
> As for my cat, she still staggers on occassion and still slow
> reflexes. Vet said that it could resolve on it's on and come back
> with a vengeance. I just need to reassure and comfort her the best I
> can.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, I have a new lower sided litter
> box now. Wish me luck!

FWIW, it's called Feline Vestibular Syndrome.

http://www.cathealth.com/vestibular.htm

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

April 2nd 08, 09:39 PM
In article <[email protected]_s22>,
says...
> Richard wrote:
>
> > Well, took her to the vet, and she has the human equivalent of
> > vertigo. I forget the exact term for it. Vet says that it has
> > something to do with her vestibula and a myriad of things can cause it
> > including her advanced age. He also did blood work, but I have not
> > heard back from him. GIving her some antibiotics......not sure why?
> >
> > As for my cat, she still staggers on occassion and still slow
> > reflexes. Vet said that it could resolve on it's on and come back
> > with a vengeance. I just need to reassure and comfort her the best I
> > can.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, I have a new lower sided litter
> > box now. Wish me luck!
>
> FWIW, it's called Feline Vestibular Syndrome.
>
> http://www.cathealth.com/vestibular.htm
>
> http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

Oh poor cat. I've had the human version and it isn't fun at all. The
constant vomiting is the worst.