PDA

View Full Version : urinary blockage

Wendy
March 31st 08, 02:03 PM
Is it necessary to use prescription wet food for a cat who's blocked or will
any quality wet food do as well?

The cat has been to the vet, been unblocked and sent home on antibiotics and
anti-spasmodics.

MaryL
March 31st 08, 02:33 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
> Is it necessary to use prescription wet food for a cat who's blocked or
> will any quality wet food do as well?
>
> The cat has been to the vet, been unblocked and sent home on antibiotics
> and anti-spasmodics.

Use a good-quality canned food without grains. Wellness is a good choice.
You can look up nutritional information on the petfooddirect.com web site.
(Click on "details.")

MaryL

Rene S.
March 31st 08, 04:00 PM
On Mar 31, 8:03*am, "Wendy" > wrote:
> Is it necessary to use prescription wet food for a cat who's blocked or will
> any quality wet food do as well?
>
> The cat has been to the vet, been unblocked and sent home on antibiotics and
> anti-spasmodics.

My personal opinion is that prescription cat food of any kind is
primarily garbage. If you look at the ingredient list, there is some
scary stuff on there. Prescription or not, it's just not a healthy
choice. I prefer a high-quality, grain free wet diet. As MaryL
mentioned, Wellness is excellent (make sure to get their grain free
versions), as is Nature's Variety (canned or raw) and Innova.

cshenk
March 31st 08, 05:35 PM
"Rene S." wrote

>My personal opinion is that prescription cat food of any kind is
>primarily garbage. If you look at the ingredient list, there is some
>scary stuff on there. Prescription or not, it's just not a healthy
>choice. I prefer a high-quality, grain free wet diet. As MaryL
>mentioned, Wellness is excellent (make sure to get their grain free
>versions), as is Nature's Variety (canned or raw) and Innova.

Is 'Fancy Feast' reasonable? For a cat that is not blocked and never has
been?

After advice from here, we are converting Daisy (our rescue kitty) to wet
and she's taking well to it. I need to get more cans and while i know now
to took for grain-free, am not all that sure of all the details. A web page
was posted and I read it, but it's still not clear. I just know Daisy likes
fancy feast and have not yet tried others. The size of the meal of the
fancy feast is just right.

Rene S.
March 31st 08, 05:47 PM
On Mar 31, 11:35*am, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Rene S." wrote
>
> >My personal opinion is that prescription cat food of any kind is
> >primarily garbage. If you look at the ingredient list, there is some
> >scary stuff on there. Prescription or not, it's just not a healthy
> >choice. I prefer a high-quality, grain free wet diet. As MaryL
> >mentioned, Wellness is excellent (make sure to get their grain free
> >versions), as is Nature's Variety (canned or raw) and Innova.
>
> Is 'Fancy Feast' reasonable? *For a cat that is not blocked and never has
> been?

At one time, there was a debate about the quality of Fancy Feast on
this group (which I won't get into). I'm not a fan of it myself, but
many people swear by it. I know they now make FF grain free flavors,
but it's not just the grains that concern me. It's the other
ingredients in the can (by products and fillers). Wellness does make
FF-sized cans if can size is a concern, but cost wise it's not as
great of a deal. Actually, Wellness is *cheaper* on a per ounce basis
compared to FF, at least in my area. You get 3 oz for around .78, and
Wellness is .99 for 5.5 oz, making FF .26/oz vs. Wellness .18/oz.
Something to think about.

MaryL
March 31st 08, 10:20 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
On Mar 31, 11:35 am, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Rene S." wrote
>
> >My personal opinion is that prescription cat food of any kind is
> >primarily garbage. If you look at the ingredient list, there is some
> >scary stuff on there. Prescription or not, it's just not a healthy
> >choice. I prefer a high-quality, grain free wet diet. As MaryL
> >mentioned, Wellness is excellent (make sure to get their grain free
> >versions), as is Nature's Variety (canned or raw) and Innova.
>
> Is 'Fancy Feast' reasonable? For a cat that is not blocked and never has
> been?

At one time, there was a debate about the quality of Fancy Feast on
this group (which I won't get into). I'm not a fan of it myself, but
many people swear by it. I know they now make FF grain free flavors,
but it's not just the grains that concern me. It's the other
ingredients in the can (by products and fillers). Wellness does make
FF-sized cans if can size is a concern, but cost wise it's not as
great of a deal. Actually, Wellness is *cheaper* on a per ounce basis
compared to FF, at least in my area. You get 3 oz for around .78, and
Wellness is .99 for 5.5 oz, making FF .26/oz vs. Wellness .18/oz.
Something to think about.

To add to what Rene wrote: I have also found that Wellness is not as costly
as it appears on first glance even if you buy the smaller size. My cats do
not need as much quantity of Wellness as they did when I fed "cheaper" food
in the past, but their weight has remained completely stable. Both cats are
healthy, happy, energetic. Both have beautiful, glossy coats. Holly will
be 13 years old in June, and she looks like a youngster.

MaryL

Wendy
March 31st 08, 11:04 PM
. ..

> "Rene S." > wrote in message
> On Mar 31, 11:35 am, "cshenk" > wrote:
>> "Rene S." wrote
>>
>> >My personal opinion is that prescription cat food of any kind is
>> >primarily garbage. If you look at the ingredient list, there is some
>> >scary stuff on there. Prescription or not, it's just not a healthy
>> >choice. I prefer a high-quality, grain free wet diet. As MaryL
>> >mentioned, Wellness is excellent (make sure to get their grain free
>> >versions), as is Nature's Variety (canned or raw) and Innova.
>>
>> Is 'Fancy Feast' reasonable? For a cat that is not blocked and never has
>> been?
>
> At one time, there was a debate about the quality of Fancy Feast on
> this group (which I won't get into). I'm not a fan of it myself, but
> many people swear by it. I know they now make FF grain free flavors,
> but it's not just the grains that concern me. It's the other
> ingredients in the can (by products and fillers). Wellness does make
> FF-sized cans if can size is a concern, but cost wise it's not as
> great of a deal. Actually, Wellness is *cheaper* on a per ounce basis
> compared to FF, at least in my area. You get 3 oz for around .78, and
> Wellness is .99 for 5.5 oz, making FF .26/oz vs. Wellness .18/oz.
> Something to think about.
>
> To add to what Rene wrote: I have also found that Wellness is not as
> costly as it appears on first glance even if you buy the smaller size. My
> cats do not need as much quantity of Wellness as they did when I fed
> "cheaper" food in the past, but their weight has remained completely
> stable. Both cats are healthy, happy, energetic. Both have beautiful,
> glossy coats. Holly will be 13 years old in June, and she looks like a
> youngster.
>
> MaryL
How much do you give them at a meal?

cshenk
March 31st 08, 11:55 PM
"Wendy" wrote

> How much do you give them at a meal?

Dunno about her but we are feeding about 4 TB roughly a meal, 2 a day. I'm
noticing now that we are wet feeding, her water intake has gone down which
has me slightly worried as there isnt as much difference in the wet food as
the water intake makes up.

blkcatgal
April 1st 08, 12:13 AM
Wow! I want to shop where you shop. I can get a 5.5 oz can of Wellness for
$1.09; the 3 oz can is .89. But the petstore I buy it at will give me a
little bit of a discount for buying a whole case at once...which I always
do. But it still doesn't equal out to .99 per can.

Another petstore (chain) sells the 3 oz can for .99. I never buy it there.

S.
---
"Rene S." > wrote in message
On Mar 31, 11:35 am, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Rene S." wrote
>
> >My personal opinion is that prescription cat food of any kind is
> >primarily garbage. If you look at the ingredient list, there is some
> >scary stuff on there. Prescription or not, it's just not a healthy
> >choice. I prefer a high-quality, grain free wet diet. As MaryL
> >mentioned, Wellness is excellent (make sure to get their grain free
> >versions), as is Nature's Variety (canned or raw) and Innova.
>
> Is 'Fancy Feast' reasonable? For a cat that is not blocked and never has
> been?

At one time, there was a debate about the quality of Fancy Feast on
this group (which I won't get into). I'm not a fan of it myself, but
many people swear by it. I know they now make FF grain free flavors,
but it's not just the grains that concern me. It's the other
ingredients in the can (by products and fillers). Wellness does make
FF-sized cans if can size is a concern, but cost wise it's not as
great of a deal. Actually, Wellness is *cheaper* on a per ounce basis
compared to FF, at least in my area. You get 3 oz for around .78, and
Wellness is .99 for 5.5 oz, making FF .26/oz vs. Wellness .18/oz.
Something to think about.

MaryL
April 1st 08, 02:31 AM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Rene S." > wrote in message
>> On Mar 31, 11:35 am, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>> "Rene S." wrote

>>> Is 'Fancy Feast' reasonable? For a cat that is not blocked and never has
>>> been?
>>
>> At one time, there was a debate about the quality of Fancy Feast on
>> this group (which I won't get into). I'm not a fan of it myself, but
>> many people swear by it. I know they now make FF grain free flavors,
>> but it's not just the grains that concern me. It's the other
>> ingredients in the can (by products and fillers). Wellness does make
>> FF-sized cans if can size is a concern, but cost wise it's not as
>> great of a deal. Actually, Wellness is *cheaper* on a per ounce basis
>> compared to FF, at least in my area. You get 3 oz for around .78, and
>> Wellness is .99 for 5.5 oz, making FF .26/oz vs. Wellness .18/oz.
>> Something to think about.
>>
>> To add to what Rene wrote: I have also found that Wellness is not as
>> costly as it appears on first glance even if you buy the smaller size.
>> My cats do not need as much quantity of Wellness as they did when I fed
>> "cheaper" food in the past, but their weight has remained completely
>> stable. Both cats are healthy, happy, energetic. Both have beautiful,
>> glossy coats. Holly will be 13 years old in June, and she looks like a
>> youngster.
>>
>> MaryL
> How much do you give them at a meal?

I use the 5.5 oz cans. Each cat gets 1/3 of a can twice a day (fed on
12-hr. intervals, or as close to that as possible). This means that I
rotate and take 2/3 of a can (1/3 for each cat), leaving two cans in the
refrigerator that are each 1/3 full. Those two cans then provide the next
meal. It would depend on the weight of the cats, of course, but my two have
remained completely stable in weight ever since I started doing this more
than four years ago. Duffy weighs a little more than 8 pounds, and Holly
weighs 9 pounds. You can see lots of pictures of them in the links under my
sig.

I adopted Duffy at the end of January 2003. He was extremely thin at that
time because he had been in a shelter for several months. I started him on
Innova because he needed to gain weight. Once he reached the right weight,
I switched to Wellness although I sometimes add some Innova Evo or similar
products. They get Wellness about 90% of the time, though (a variety of
Wellness selections, always being careful to use the grain-free varieties).

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

MaryL
April 1st 08, 02:38 AM
I also pay more than that, but it has been well worth it. I have to order
over the Internet because the closest place that carries Wellness is a drive
of 75 miles each way. I order from petfooddirect.com. A case of 24 cans
(5.5 oz.) costs $30.49, so I pay about $1.27 per can. Petfooddirect has
some good sales, so I watch email for their 20% and 22% discounts. That
essentially covers the cost of shipping. I order 3 cases at a time and mix
the varieties.

MaryL

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wow! I want to shop where you shop. I can get a 5.5 oz can of Wellness
> for $1.09; the 3 oz can is .89. But the petstore I buy it at will give me
> a little bit of a discount for buying a whole case at once...which I
> always do. But it still doesn't equal out to .99 per can.
>
> Another petstore (chain) sells the 3 oz can for .99. I never buy it
> there.
>
> S.
> --
> **Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/ **
> ---
> "Rene S." > wrote in message
> On Mar 31, 11:35 am, "cshenk" > wrote:
>> "Rene S." wrote
>>
>> >My personal opinion is that prescription cat food of any kind is
>> >primarily garbage. If you look at the ingredient list, there is some
>> >scary stuff on there. Prescription or not, it's just not a healthy
>> >choice. I prefer a high-quality, grain free wet diet. As MaryL
>> >mentioned, Wellness is excellent (make sure to get their grain free
>> >versions), as is Nature's Variety (canned or raw) and Innova.
>>
>> Is 'Fancy Feast' reasonable? For a cat that is not blocked and never has
>> been?
>
> At one time, there was a debate about the quality of Fancy Feast on
> this group (which I won't get into). I'm not a fan of it myself, but
> many people swear by it. I know they now make FF grain free flavors,
> but it's not just the grains that concern me. It's the other
> ingredients in the can (by products and fillers). Wellness does make
> FF-sized cans if can size is a concern, but cost wise it's not as
> great of a deal. Actually, Wellness is *cheaper* on a per ounce basis
> compared to FF, at least in my area. You get 3 oz for around .78, and
> Wellness is .99 for 5.5 oz, making FF .26/oz vs. Wellness .18/oz.
> Something to think about.

Rhonda[_3_]
April 1st 08, 05:48 AM
Wendy, please talk this over with your vet.

You have probably posted about this problem but I'm not keeping up with
the group -- do you know the reason your cat was blocked? Was it a
certain kind of crystals? I know watching the Ph of the food is very
important, not just the moisture.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Wendy wrote:
> Is it necessary to use prescription wet food for a cat who's blocked or will
> any quality wet food do as well?
>
> The cat has been to the vet, been unblocked and sent home on antibiotics and
> anti-spasmodics.

Wendy
April 1st 08, 03:47 PM
Yea, I would normally agree but I don't buy what the vet said. She said that
the infection started first and then the crystals developed. In a cat this
young (not quite 4) that still doesn't explain what caused an infection. She
told me he needs to be on exclusively prescription food and should be
getting 2 5-oz. cans a day. That's excessive. I have him on an all natural
wet food now and he only wants maximum 1/2 a can at a meal (2 a day). The
vet also blamed his blockage on the fact that he's gained a little weight in
the last year. My husband passed away last April and there are only 1 set of
eyes now to referee meal times and keep him out of everyone else's bowl.
I've improved my methods (Boots eats in a closed bathroom, Isabelle eats in
a locked dog crate, Diego eats where ever the other two aren't) but he
hasn't yet lost the weight he put on when I was distracted.

I wonder if some of Diego's problems didn't start when the dh died. He was
my husbands cat almost exclusively. He rarely came to me for attention. He
was quite the sad sack for a long time after the dh passed and spent much of
his time sleeping on his side of the bed. Maybe stress played a role. Maybe
he wasn't drinking as much water. I missed the clues that Diego was the one
with the problem. I didn't notice any increase in trips to the box for him
and attributed the peeing outside the box to my cat, Isabelle, who I know
has kidney problems and who has been known to avoid the box. This meant that
Diego's problems went untreated for months. Hindsight is 20/20 but I really
thought it was Isabelle peeing on the floor. She's already on prescription
food btw and her problem was diagnosed when we had an ultrasound done. At
any rate his problem was worse than it should have been had I known about it
sooner.

He had struvite (sp? too lazy to look it up) crystals. Now as to why? who
knows. Is it a ph issue or just not sufficient fluids in his diet. The vet
refuses to prescribe C/D dry and is pushing for wet only. That makes me
think she suspects a moisture problem more than a ph one.

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Wendy, please talk this over with your vet.
>
> You have probably posted about this problem but I'm not keeping up with
> the group -- do you know the reason your cat was blocked? Was it a certain
> kind of crystals? I know watching the Ph of the food is very important,
> not just the moisture.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rhonda
>
> Wendy wrote:
>> Is it necessary to use prescription wet food for a cat who's blocked or
>> will any quality wet food do as well?
>>
>> The cat has been to the vet, been unblocked and sent home on antibiotics
>> and anti-spasmodics.

Riannon via CatKB.com
April 1st 08, 05:31 PM
>Is it necessary to use prescription wet food for a cat who's blocked or will
>any quality wet food do as well?
>The cat has been to the vet, been unblocked and sent home on antibiotics and

If it is struvite crystals and it just recently happened, then yes, you
definitely need to feed him either Hill's s/d (struvite diet) or any other
diet from the vet that is made to dissolve the remaining crystals in his
bladder. You only use that for a short period of time though - I think it's
a month or so. After that, they will probably want him on Hill's c/d as it
is low in minerals but you may be able to put him on a different (store
bought) canned food. You will have to see how your cat does in the future;
you don't want him to block up again though right now, so I would follow my
vet's instructions for the time being.

blkcatgal
April 2nd 08, 12:09 AM
Cats can develop urinary infections due to stress. Your husband's passing
may have cause your cat some stress. Just a thought.

S.
---
. ..