PDA

View Full Version : Cat addicted to TV - HELP

April 4th 08, 08:47 PM
I unleashed a monster a few weeks ago when I introduced my little cat
(3 years old) to the Video Catnip I've had for years. (It's a VHS tape
of birds and squirrels - other cats have enjoyed it a few times, but
quickly figured out it's just a goof on them and quit watching)

She's deaf, so at least I can mute it and not have to hear the sounds
all day long, but she either sits in front of the TV and jumps to
catch the critters, or she hangs over the top of the TV to do the
same. Yes, it's hilarious to see her trying to catch something and
falling off the TV. Or it was hilarious about the first 12,000 times.

But now she's just addicted to this thing. All day and all night long,
has to watch it again and again. And when it's not showing and she
needs her movie, she SCREAMS. Bloody murder. (Again, she's deaf and
has no volume control - she screams like that at birds outside, not
getting that it scares them off) It's a scream that sounds like
someone stepped on her tail, but I know that scream. It's her "I see a
bird" scream. If the mailman would hear it, I'm sure he'd think I was
abusing my cat.

She's not getting fat or anything, but I'm concerned that this is too
much TV. Also, I wouldn't mind watching some TV myself, and she tosses
a fit if I want to watch the news. A FIT. If screaming doesn't work,
she works her way into cabinets and starts tossing things out. In the
last week alone, she's broken a coffee mug and a couple of wine
glasses. I have the cabinets taped with duct tape, but she is able to
work her way through it. I guess I'll have to get some of those kid
clip things.

Has anyone ever had a cat this addicted to TV? It's turning into a
real pain in the ass because the tape is only thirty minutes long, and
then she's screaming again. She has me well trained.

I've tried diverting her with her previous addiction, the red laser
dot, or with her feathers on a stick and other toys. She wants her TV!

April 5th 08, 01:33 AM
I don't have a solution, but that's like the funniest damned thing
I've ever heard! LMAO

Note to self: don't buy any videos for the cats!

On Apr 4, 3:47*pm, wrote:
> I unleashed a monster a few weeks ago when I introduced my little cat
> (3 years old) to the Video Catnip I've had for years. (It's a VHS tape
> of birds and squirrels - other cats have enjoyed it a few times, but
> quickly figured out it's just a goof on them and quit watching)
>
> She's deaf, so at least I can mute it and not have to hear the sounds
> all day long, but she either sits in front of the TV and jumps to
> catch the critters, or she hangs over the top of the TV to do the
> same. Yes, it's hilarious to see her trying to catch something and
> falling off the TV. Or it was hilarious about the first 12,000 times.
>
> But now she's just addicted to this thing. All day and all night long,
> has to watch it again and again. And when it's not showing and she
> needs her movie, she SCREAMS. Bloody murder. (Again, she's deaf and
> has no volume control - she screams like that at birds outside, not
> getting that it scares them off) It's a scream that sounds like
> someone stepped on her tail, but I know that scream. It's her "I see a
> bird" scream. If the mailman would hear it, I'm sure he'd think I was
> abusing my cat.
>
> She's not getting fat or anything, but I'm concerned that this is too
> much TV. Also, I wouldn't mind watching some TV myself, and she tosses
> a fit if I want to watch the news. A FIT. If screaming doesn't work,
> she works her way into cabinets and starts tossing things out. In the
> last week alone, she's broken a coffee mug and a couple of wine
> glasses. I have the cabinets taped with duct tape, but she is able to
> work her way through it. I guess I'll have to get some of those kid
> clip things.
>
> Has anyone ever had a cat this addicted to TV? It's turning into a
> real pain in the ass because the tape is only thirty minutes long, and
> then she's screaming again. She has me well trained.
>
> I've tried diverting her with her previous addiction, the red laser
> dot, or with her feathers on a stick and other toys. She wants her TV!

zob
April 5th 08, 05:07 AM
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 12:47:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

<snip<

>Has anyone ever had a cat this addicted to TV?

Not a cat, but I had an afghan hound that was addicted not only to TV,
but to the Weather Channel! Seriously! When she was left home alone
for even a short period she would chew on the furniture and tear up
the house. Then one day we accidentally left the TV on the weather
channel; when we got home a couple of hours later Punkhan was calmly
lying in the living room staring at the TV. At first we thought it
was just the noise of the TV, so next time we went out we left it on
on purpose, but it was on a different channel. She had again wreaked
havoc when we got home -- unrolled the toilet paper all over the house
this time ;) We finally realized that it was just the Weather
Channel that kept her calm, and we never really knew why. We could
only guess that it was the alternating of people talking in
conversations with music every 10 minutes when the local weather was
on.

Just when you think that you've heard every strange animal story ...

If only we could read their minds sometimes!

Zob

-----
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

Phil P.
April 5th 08, 12:45 PM
> wrote in message
> I unleashed a monster a few weeks ago when I introduced my little cat
> (3 years old) to the Video Catnip I've had for years. (It's a VHS tape
> of birds and squirrels - other cats have enjoyed it a few times, but
> quickly figured out it's just a goof on them and quit watching)
>
> She's deaf, so at least I can mute it and not have to hear the sounds
> all day long, but she either sits in front of the TV and jumps to
> catch the critters, or she hangs over the top of the TV to do the
> same. Yes, it's hilarious to see her trying to catch something and
> falling off the TV. Or it was hilarious about the first 12,000 times.
>
> But now she's just addicted to this thing. All day and all night long,
> has to watch it again and again. And when it's not showing and she
> needs her movie, she SCREAMS. Bloody murder. (Again, she's deaf and
> has no volume control - she screams like that at birds outside, not
> getting that it scares them off) It's a scream that sounds like
> someone stepped on her tail, but I know that scream. It's her "I see a
> bird" scream. If the mailman would hear it, I'm sure he'd think I was
> abusing my cat.
>
> She's not getting fat or anything, but I'm concerned that this is too
> much TV. Also, I wouldn't mind watching some TV myself, and she tosses
> a fit if I want to watch the news. A FIT. If screaming doesn't work,
> she works her way into cabinets and starts tossing things out. In the
> last week alone, she's broken a coffee mug and a couple of wine
> glasses. I have the cabinets taped with duct tape, but she is able to
> work her way through it. I guess I'll have to get some of those kid
> clip things.
>
> Has anyone ever had a cat this addicted to TV? It's turning into a
> real pain in the ass because the tape is only thirty minutes long, and
> then she's screaming again. She has me well trained.
>
> I've tried diverting her with her previous addiction, the red laser
> dot, or with her feathers on a stick and other toys. She wants her TV!

LMAO! That's about the funniest story I've heard in a long, long time!
You've got to get her act on tape and send it in to the World's Funniest
Animals- She's a sure winner!

It sounds like you're gonna have to get her own TV! lol!

I got the Cat Sitter DVD for my cats- they all went crazy over it at first
but after a few days or so they started losing interest in it one by one.
The same thing happened with the Fish Tank DVD- After they realized they
couldn't catch the fish they lost interest.

My little one still likes to watch Catz:
http://maxshouse.com/jadewatchingcatzweb.jpg

My colony cats don't even get excited over live birds anymore- and the birds
know it! The birds just sit there as the cats walk right by- a few feet
away! lol

http://maxshouse.com/colony_bird.jpg

Here's the whole sequence:

http://maxshouse.com/on_the_prowl.htm

I saw the whole thing while I was on a stake out to ID the "Phantom Pooper"
whose been pooping in the dirt in one of my neighbor's bushes. This was
actually funny, too. The other cats sat around waiting for him to finish
before heading out. together lol!

http://maxshouse.com/phantom_pooper.htm

Ain't ca****ching a blast? I'd rather watch cats than the Dallas Cowboy
Cheerleaders!

Phil

barb
April 5th 08, 03:28 PM
LOL!

Get another cat for her to play with or get yourself a second tv.

Barb

April 8th 08, 04:46 PM
These are adorable pictures, Phil!

I've been thinking I need to get a video camera because of this crazy
little cat - she's very entertaining. She also likes to drown her toy
mice in the toilet. (And if I put the lid down, she figures out how to
lift it...and she's a tiny little thing, but SO DETERMINED.) For
awhile she was putting her mice in my tea glass when I wasn't looking.
There's nothing worse than getting a mouth full of mouse.

She does have a brother (he was here first), but he's in the hospital
today having a dental. She's missing him. The look on brother's face
when she's screaming for her movie and then watching is priceless.
He's like "Dude, I figured out years ago it's all fake!"

There's a window about ten feet from the TV and I have a bird feeder
attached to the window. One day she was watching her movie and a big
mourning dove caught the corner of her eye at the window. I thought
she was going to have a seizure trying to decide between window (and
real bird) versus her movie (and fake birds/squirrels).

She chose the movie.

Well, she's screaming for the show now. Must obey. There are some men
outside cleaning my gutters and that entertained her for awhile, but I
guess it's back to the show. At least she's not insisting on popcorn
and Milk Duds.

Phil P.
April 9th 08, 11:01 AM
> wrote in message
> These are adorable pictures, Phil!
>
> I've been thinking I need to get a video camera because of this crazy
> little cat - she's very entertaining. She also likes to drown her toy
> mice in the toilet. (And if I put the lid down, she figures out how to
> lift it...and she's a tiny little thing, but SO DETERMINED.) For
> awhile she was putting her mice in my tea glass when I wasn't looking.
> There's nothing worse than getting a mouth full of mouse.
>
> She does have a brother (he was here first), but he's in the hospital
> today having a dental. She's missing him. The look on brother's face
> when she's screaming for her movie and then watching is priceless.
> He's like "Dude, I figured out years ago it's all fake!"
>
> There's a window about ten feet from the TV and I have a bird feeder
> attached to the window. One day she was watching her movie and a big
> mourning dove caught the corner of her eye at the window. I thought
> she was going to have a seizure trying to decide between window (and
> real bird) versus her movie (and fake birds/squirrels).
>
> She chose the movie.
>
> Well, she's screaming for the show now. Must obey. There are some men
> outside cleaning my gutters and that entertained her for awhile, but I
> guess it's back to the show. At least she's not insisting on popcorn
> and Milk Duds.

One of my cats was raised by raccoons- I think she thinks she's a raccoon.
What do you think?

http://maxshouse.com/album/racat.jpg

My other cat loves to play with bunnies- but they always ran away from her.
Now, they think she's one of them.

http://maxshouse.com/album/bunnycat.jpg

Don't forget to post a link to the movie of your cat when you make it.

Phil