From: " >
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 07:58:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fat Jack

I had a female dsh cat... this sounds very strange, I know, but I had
gotten her from the Humane Society and had her kept up on her shots,
worming, etc...

Well, at six months she was well over eight pounds. She was huge. I
kept her on a diet... But she had worms. After we had her wormed she
no longer had the issue - but then I had also kept her on a diet at
that time as well.

Some people say that kittens should be allowed to free feed.

I warn you because it sounds pretty odd. I would have guessed that
worms would cause a cat to get really skinny.

I apologize too because I do not recall what type of worms they were,
but prior to this she had been dewormed once before.

So, for what it is worth...

April 5th 08, 01:37 AM
Wow I didn't think of that, I think I'm going to call the vet
tomorrow, I have another cat that needs to go in for shots anyway. He
was de-wormed at 3-4 months and he's never been outside, but my other
cats go in and out so it's definitely a possibility, because they all
use the same litter boxes.

There's no way I can't free feed. I have 8 cats ranging in age from 21
years to 10 months and they have always been fed this way, I really
don't think that's the problem.

I'm hoping he's like Matthew's cat and just a big boy.

Thanks

On Apr 4, 7:29*pm, mc > wrote:
> From: " >
> Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 07:58:20 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Fat Jack
>
> I had a female dsh cat... this sounds very strange, I know, but I had
> gotten her from the Humane Society and had her kept up on her shots,
> worming, etc...
>
> Well, at six months she was well over eight pounds. She was huge. I
> kept her on a diet... But she had worms. After we had her wormed she
> no longer had the issue - but then I had also kept her on a diet at
> that time as well.
>
> Some people say that kittens should be allowed to free feed.
>
> I warn you because it sounds pretty odd. I would have guessed that
> worms would cause a cat to get really skinny.
>
> I apologize too because I do not recall what type of worms they were,
> but prior to this she had been dewormed once before.
>
> So, for what it is worth...

zob
April 5th 08, 05:12 AM
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:05:27 -0400, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

>If you are free feeding, STOP. Feed him canned food twice a day. No
>treats.

I've tried this with my cats, and they both *hate* canned cat food!
one tries to bury it, and the other one simple refuses to eat it. If
I give them a can before I go to work, ti's still sitting in their
dish when I get home and they drive me crazy following me around
yelling at me for not feeding them. I really don't get it; I thought
that cats were supposed to *love* canned food!

At my veterinarian's suggestion, I tried switching to Fancy Feast
brand -- she said all* cats like that. No dice, same reaction. SO
I'm back to feeding the little fatties dry food; I've at least
switched to brands that are mostly protein and vegetable based and
have a minimum of grain products. So far no weight loss.

Zob

-----
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic