PDA

View Full Version : antibiotic dose for cat

Jerry
April 7th 08, 12:26 AM
Hi. My cat got some bad scratches from another cat and developed an infection.

The packaging says 1-3 mls/5 lbs/day depending on the severity of the
infection. The vet said to give her 2 mls a day...which would be the low end
of the dosage range for a 10 lb cat... but she weighs 16 lbs. SO I am
thinking she needs at least 3 mls a day...with a high amount of 9 mls a day.

The infection seems to be getting worse. The nose is warm and dry, and she
just lays there all day. So I want to increase the dose. Why would a vet say
to give such a small dose to begin with? What are the dangers of too large a
dose? Thanks.

Noon Cat Nick
April 7th 08, 12:32 AM
Jerry wrote:

> Hi. My cat got some bad scratches from another cat and developed an
> infection.
>
> The packaging says 1-3 mls/5 lbs/day depending on the severity of the
> infection. The vet said to give her 2 mls a day...which would be the
> low end of the dosage range for a 10 lb cat... but she weighs 16 lbs.
> SO I am thinking she needs at least 3 mls a day...with a high amount of
> 9 mls a day.
>
> The infection seems to be getting worse. The nose is warm and dry, and
> she just lays there all day. So I want to increase the dose. Why would a
> vet say to give such a small dose to begin with? What are the dangers of
> too large a dose? Thanks.

Giving a low dose would guide you into knowing how large a dose
ultimately to give without endangering the cat. Right now she obviously
has an infection, what with the warm dry nose and the lethargy. 2 mls to
start with for a coupla days would let you know if it's working at that
dose or not. If not, you can up the dosage by a ml each day or so to see
what works without overdosing. Just my 2.

Jerry
April 7th 08, 03:01 AM
Cheryl wrote:

> I would check to make sure the RX is 1x per day or 2x per day. I've
> never had ABs to give 1x per day.

thank you to you and Nick.

yes, it was given as 1ml 2x per day = 2ml

what are the signs of too much antibiotic? diarrhea?

cshenk
April 7th 08, 12:09 PM
"Jerry" wrote

> Hi. My cat got some bad scratches from another cat and developed an
> infection.
>
> The packaging says 1-3 mls/5 lbs/day depending on the severity of the
> infection. The vet said to give her 2 mls a day...which would be the low
> end of the dosage range for a 10 lb cat... but she weighs 16 lbs. SO I am
> thinking she needs at least 3 mls a day...with a high amount of 9 mls a
> day.
>
> The infection seems to be getting worse. The nose is warm and dry, and she
> just lays there all day. So I want to increase the dose. Why would a vet
> say to give such a small dose to begin with? What are the dangers of too
> large a dose? Thanks.

Call the vet please. Often they start with a lower dose since they cant be
sure your pet may not have a reaction to the medicine. Just like humans and
antobiotics, cats can have allergies or reactions to higher doses.

How long has it been? If it seems to be getting worse, call vet!

Spot[_2_]
April 7th 08, 12:35 PM
You need to call the vet and ask if he wants you to increase the dose. He
may say yes or it could be this antibiotic is the wrong one and the cat
needs a different one either way call the vet to find out.

Celeste

"Jerry" > wrote in message ...
> Hi. My cat got some bad scratches from another cat and developed an
> infection.
>
> The packaging says 1-3 mls/5 lbs/day depending on the severity of the
> infection. The vet said to give her 2 mls a day...which would be the low
> end of the dosage range for a 10 lb cat... but she weighs 16 lbs. SO I am
> thinking she needs at least 3 mls a day...with a high amount of 9 mls a
> day.
>
> The infection seems to be getting worse. The nose is warm and dry, and she
> just lays there all day. So I want to increase the dose. Why would a vet
> say to give such a small dose to begin with? What are the dangers of too
> large a dose? Thanks.

Rene S.
April 7th 08, 08:13 PM
On Apr 7, 6:35*am, "Spot" > wrote:
> You need to call the vet and ask if he wants you to increase the dose. *He
> may say yes or it could be this antibiotic is the wrong one and the cat
> needs a different one either way call the vet to find out.

Ditto. Best to call the vet before changing anything.

Jerry
April 7th 08, 10:49 PM
Rene S. wrote:
> On Apr 7, 6:35 am, "Spot" > wrote:
>> You need to call the vet and ask if he wants you to increase the dose. He
>> may say yes or it could be this antibiotic is the wrong one and the cat
>> needs a different one either way call the vet to find out.
>
> Ditto. Best to call the vet before changing anything.

yes, I called this morning. But I wanted to garner some understanding
beforehand and that's why I posted.

So here's a little more for the general knowledge bank: the vet had injected a
long-acting antibiotic just before discharge, and so that's why the additional
oral dose was so small.

Thanks to everybody :)

Rene S.
April 8th 08, 02:17 PM
> yes, I called this morning. But I wanted to garner some understanding
> beforehand and that's why I posted.
>
> So here's a little more for the general knowledge bank: the vet had injected a
> long-acting antibiotic just before discharge, and so that's why the additional
> oral dose was so small.
>
> Thanks to everybody :)

Oh, good thing you called! Hope she recovers quickly.