PDA

View Full Version : I had to pass this on

Phil P.
April 7th 08, 01:05 AM
The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got better.
When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for it
to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion at
the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
well see for yourself:

http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

Claude V. Lucas
April 7th 08, 01:49 AM
In article <[email protected]>, Phil P. > wrote:
>The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
>jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got better.
>When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for it
>to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
>cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion at
>the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
>well see for yourself:
>

>http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

Amazing.

MaryL
April 7th 08, 03:32 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
> jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got better.
> When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for
> it
> to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
> cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion at
> the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
> well see for yourself:
>

> http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

This is a truly remarkable video. I certainly would not want to do this
myself, but it is amazing to see. The expression on that big cat's face is
pure love.

MaryL

dgk
April 7th 08, 01:31 PM
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 00:05:20 GMT, "Phil P." >
wrote:

>The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
>jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got better.
>When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for it
>to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
>cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion at
>the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
>well see for yourself:
>

>http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

Oh. Big cat. Very cool.

barb
April 7th 08, 03:12 PM
Wow! I loved that video! Thanks for sharing.

Barb

Phil P.
April 8th 08, 11:51 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message
> Seeing this video made me think of the movie _Born Free_ (based on a true
> story). The Adamsons had been forced to leave Africa (I think because of
> George's illness), and had reacclimated Elsa (the lioness) to life in the
> wild. When Joy Adamson returned for a visit a year later, she wondered if
> Elsa would remember her. In the meantime, Elsa had been reacclimated to
the
> wild, found a mate, and had cubs of her own. Not only did Elsa greet Joy
> right away, but she brought Joy to see her cubs. And in the movie Joy
> commented [something along the lines of]: "I wanted so much to touch the
> cubs, but I knew it would be wrong because they were born free." For some
> reason, that line brings tears to my eyes every time.
>
> Thank you for sharing this most remarkable video.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

The video hit me hard. I've nursed quite a few sick and injured ferals back
to health- some were in really bad shape. A few of the ones that were in
really bad shape come running when they see me. They do the "figure-eight"
around my feet that I can hardly move. When I put my hand down, they walk
back and forth under it. I tried to chalk it up to just being happy I was
bringing them food- but there are a few that still hung by me even after I
put the food out- a couple even followed me back to my truck. I was a
heatbeat away from taking them home.

I always develop a special bond with sick and injured cats I nursed back to
health- especally when their recovery takes weeks to months. But it seems
like the bond goes both ways.

Its getting harder and harder to return some of the cats, partly because I'm
not entirely convinced some of them want to be returned. The other part is I
don't really want to return some of them. Older ferals are *really* hard to
return. I think many older ferals would like to retire to home living.

My feelings are in constant turmoil.

I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Phil

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
> > jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got
better.
> > When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for
> > it
> > to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to
be
> > cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion
at
> > the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her
is ---
> > well see for yourself:
> >

> > http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

Phil P.
April 8th 08, 11:53 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> I remember this It only confirms they are more than they let on
>
> Ps How are the colonies doing

The colonies are doing a lot better than many shelter cats- Its kitten
season, which means many shelters are killing a lot of cats older than 6-12
months to free up cages for kittens-- which are easier to adopt. Kittens
are easy money for some shelters- fast turnover.

We've stepped up shelter rescues to try to save as many older cats as we
can- but we're rapidly running out of space and fosterers. You've got to see
some of the cats we took that those slaughterhouses were going to kill. I
haven't had time to upload all the pictures- be here are a few:

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Joseph-1y-6m--PP.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Johnny-7-mo-PPM.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Gigi-1yo-PP.jpg (She has "tortitude")

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Eta_Carina.jpg (I've got a feeling this one
will be Number 12!)

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/maple-4yoM-PV.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Candy--1yr-PPM-.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Peaches-2yr-PPM.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/BigBen-4%20yo-PV.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/cookie2-8mos-PV.jpg They say calicos have
the "demon gene"- look in her eyes!

Phil

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
> > jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got
better.
> > When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for
> > it
> > to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to
be
> > cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion
at
> > the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her
is ---
> > well see for yourself:
> >

> > http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

Phil P.
April 8th 08, 11:54 PM
"hopitus" > wrote in message
On Apr 6, 6:05 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
> jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got better.
> When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for
it
> to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
> cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion at
> the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
> well see for yourself:
>
> http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

>Thank you Phil that was awesome. We had a confidence crisis over in
rpca and some of us ping'd you but you were probably out and about
scooping up and rehoming the homeless, and I don't mean hoomins....
keep up your good work and if you wanna see how Stinky's Mom
mastered the art of subQ fluid therapy, find her posts re Stinky, who
>seems to be benefitting as she is now adept at it.....

I'm glad she got the hang of it- Fluid therapy is easy to master.

I'll take a lookover there first chance I get.

Phil

cybercat
April 9th 08, 12:23 AM
"Phil P." > wrote
> My feelings are in constant turmoil.

I really feel for you, Phil. You are a stronger person than I am,
that you can do this. You do so much good, but I know you
suffer often. I loved the video, sent it on all over the place.

Phil P.
April 9th 08, 03:43 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote
> > My feelings are in constant turmoil.
> >

> I really feel for you, Phil. You are a stronger person than I am,
> that you can do this. You do so much good, but I know you
> suffer often. I loved the video, sent it on all over the place.

Rescue got to me so bad that I quit. But doing nothing felt even worse. So
my retirement lasted about a day.

I you really want to help homeless and feral cats but can't handle the
heartaches that come with rescue, provide holding space for cats before and
after surgery for a rescue group in your area. Usually 2 or 3 days before
and after surgery. Holding space is number 2 on the most needed list. Your
cats never have to come in contact with the cats because they never come out
of the cage and you don't have to release the cats. The group will provide
everything.

Think about it.

honeybunch
April 9th 08, 02:16 PM
On Apr 6, 8:05 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
> jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got better.
> When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for it
> to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
> cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion at
> the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
> well see for yourself:
>
> http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

Now, we know lions do not roam any South American jungles not even
those in Colombia. Lions are found in the wild only in parts of
Africa south of the Sahara desert. I wonder what the real story is
behind this lovely video.

cybercat
April 9th 08, 04:15 PM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
> On Apr 6, 8:05 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
>> The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
>> jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got
>> better.
>> When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for
>> it
>> to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
>> cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion
>> at
>> the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
>> well see for yourself:
>>
>> http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf
>
> Now, we know lions do not roam any South American jungles not even
> those in Colombia. Lions are found in the wild only in parts of
> Africa south of the Sahara desert. I wonder what the real story is
> behind this lovely video.

It is mentioned that he is an African lion, and that the zoo is in Colombia.

He may have been sold to a private party then abandoned, or he may have
escaped from a zoo. He may have been an African lion bred in Columbia
then released. It is not claimed anywhere that he had always been wild.

Phil P.
April 10th 08, 09:33 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Phil P." > wrote
> >> >

> >> I really feel for you, Phil. You are a stronger person than I am,
> >> that you can do this. You do so much good, but I know you
> >> suffer often. I loved the video, sent it on all over the place.
> >
> > Rescue got to me so bad that I quit. But doing nothing felt even worse.
So
> > my retirement lasted about a day.
> >
> > I you really want to help homeless and feral cats but can't handle the
> > heartaches that come with rescue, provide holding space for cats before
> > and
> > after surgery for a rescue group in your area. Usually 2 or 3 days
before
> > and after surgery. Holding space is number 2 on the most needed list.
> > Your
> > cats never have to come in contact with the cats because they never come
> > out
> > of the cage and you don't have to release the cats. The group will
provide
> > everything.
> >
> > Think about it.
> ---------------
> Thank you! I have fostered cats in the past, and the problem for me was
the
> expectation that I would bring them to the Petco on Tuesday evening and/or
> Sunday afternoon to be seen by potential adoptive families. I'm happy to
> take care of them in my home, but I work evenings and Sundays, and I
simply
> don't have the time to be transporting cats back and forth every week,
> especially to a Petco that's a 30-minute drive from my house. So, the
result
> would be that the cats wouldn't be shown (they could be viewed on the
> internet, but it's not the same), they would be with me for a long time, I
> would get attached, and then they would be adopted (by me!)
>
> But if the only thing I needed to do were to provide a place for a cat to
> stay for a few days post-surgery, that might not be such a big deal. I'm
> going to seriously consider this. However, I must admit that when rescue
> groups seek volunteers, I have never heard them ask for someone who can
> provide several days' of holding space. Don't the cats generally stay at
the
> vet as they're recuperating and then go to a regular foster home?
> Best regards,
> --Cindy S.

Cindy,

I was referring more to holding ferals before and after surgery for groups
doing TNR and/or holding adoptable cats waiting to go into fosters. Holding
ferals for TNR usually takes about a week- depending on how fast the group
can get the cats in for neutering. The cats never come out of the cage. All
you do is give them food and water, change the litter and check on them.
They're less stressed if you cover the cage and just leave them alone.
Holding adoptables for foster could take a few weeks- depending on how long
it takes the foster to home the cats she has- but all you have to do is
feed, water, clean the cages, and spend some time with the cats. If you're
working with a group that pulls cats from kill shelters like we do they'll
be grateful- I know I would be- and so would the cat whose life you saved
because you gave him a place to stay until a foster was open.

Best of luck, and thanks.

Phil

Sheelagh>\o\
April 11th 08, 06:31 PM
On Apr 9, 3:43*am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > "Phil P." > wrote
> > > My feelings are in constant turmoil.
>
> > I really feel for you, Phil. You are a stronger person than I am,
> > that you can do this. You do so much good, but I know you
> > suffer often. I loved the video, sent it on all over the place.
>
> Rescue got to me so bad that I quit. But doing nothing felt even worse. So
> my retirement lasted about a day.
>
> I you really want to help homeless and feral cats but can't handle the
> heartaches that come with rescue, provide holding space for cats before and
> after surgery for a rescue group in your area. *Usually 2 or 3 days before
> and after surgery. Holding space is number 2 on the most needed list. *Your
> cats never have to come in contact with the cats because they never come out
> of the cage and you don't have to release the cats. The group will provide
> everything.
>
> Think about it.

All credit to you Phil. You do a Fantastic job, & you are appreciated
by cats & Humans alike. It may not feel that way sometimes, but I can
assure you that it is true. It's always good to hear how things are
going for you all.
You certainly changed my view on life & our feline family.

Best wishes,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Phil P.
April 12th 08, 10:22 AM
"Sheelagh>"o"<" > wrote in message
> All credit to you Phil. You do a Fantastic job, & you are appreciated
> by cats & Humans alike. It may not feel that way sometimes, but I can
> assure you that it is true. It's always good to hear how things are
> going for you all.
> You certainly changed my view on life & our feline family.

> Best wishes,
> Sheelagh >"o"<

Thank you for the kind words, Sheelaagh.

Phil

Gandalf
April 12th 08, 11:36 AM
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:53:35 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

>"Matthew" > wrote in message
>> I remember this It only confirms they are more than they let on
>>
>> Ps How are the colonies doing
>
>The colonies are doing a lot better than many shelter cats- Its kitten
>season, which means many shelters are killing a lot of cats older than 6-12
>months to free up cages for kittens-- which are easier to adopt. Kittens
>are easy money for some shelters- fast turnover.
>
>We've stepped up shelter rescues to try to save as many older cats as we
>can- but we're rapidly running out of space and fosterers. You've got to see
>some of the cats we took that those slaughterhouses were going to kill. I
>haven't had time to upload all the pictures- be here are a few:
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Joseph-1y-6m--PP.jpg
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Johnny-7-mo-PPM.jpg
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Gigi-1yo-PP.jpg (She has "tortitude")
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Eta_Carina.jpg (I've got a feeling this one
>will be Number 12!)
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/maple-4yoM-PV.jpg
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Candy--1yr-PPM-.jpg
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Peaches-2yr-PPM.jpg
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/BigBen-4%20yo-PV.jpg
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/cookie2-8mos-PV.jpg They say calicos have
>the "demon gene"- look in her eyes!
>

>Phil

Those are beautiful cats! Thank you for saving their lives!

But I must take exception to calicos having the 'demon gene'.

I adopted a 3-4 year old calico in 1999, and she's just the biggest
sweetheart you could ever possibly imagine.

Not a bit of 'cattitude' in her. She's independent, but she also just
loves attention. I love her to bits, of course.

Sadly, she was declawed before I got her, so she sometimes bites when I
get her a little 'worked up'. But she has never once broken my skin, not
even a scratch, even though she bites *hard* sometimes. So she knows not
to really hurt me.

I must say that Johnny, the young silver tabby, is a very, very sweet
looking cat! I simply can't imagine a shelter murdering him to 'make
room' for another, younger kitten.

But I know it happens every day :-(

Thank you for saving him! I hope he find a good home, soon. He looks
like such a sweetie!

He might be a real hooligan, but the photo just shows a little angel!

I have saved his picture, as I have with so many other cats I wish I
could adopt :-(

Phil P.
April 12th 08, 02:16 PM
"Gandalf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:53:35 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:
>

> >"Matthew" > wrote in message
> >> I remember this It only confirms they are more than they let on
> >>
> >> Ps How are the colonies doing
> >
> >The colonies are doing a lot better than many shelter cats- Its kitten
> >season, which means many shelters are killing a lot of cats older than
6-12
> >months to free up cages for kittens-- which are easier to adopt. Kittens
> >are easy money for some shelters- fast turnover.
> >
> >We've stepped up shelter rescues to try to save as many older cats as we
> >can- but we're rapidly running out of space and fosterers. You've got to
see
> >some of the cats we took that those slaughterhouses were going to kill. I
> >haven't had time to upload all the pictures- be here are a few:
> >
> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Joseph-1y-6m--PP.jpg
> >
> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Johnny-7-mo-PPM.jpg
> >
> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Gigi-1yo-PP.jpg (She has "tortitude")
> >
> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Eta_Carina.jpg (I've got a feeling this
one
> >will be Number 12!)
> >
> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/maple-4yoM-PV.jpg
> >
> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Candy--1yr-PPM-.jpg
> >
> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Peaches-2yr-PPM.jpg
> >
> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/BigBen-4%20yo-PV.jpg
> >
> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/cookie2-8mos-PV.jpg They say calicos have
> >the "demon gene"- look in her eyes!
> >

> >Phil
> >

> Those are beautiful cats! Thank you for saving their lives!

Some of them didn't look so when we got them. Peaches for example, weighed
about 5 pounds- you could just about see her ribs, and her eyes were dull
and cloudy. . Now she's about 9-10 lbs and her eyes sparkle. All you have to
do is put your hand near her- she does the rest! lol
http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Peaches-2yr-PPM.jpg

And there's Big Ben-he's about 7 yr.
http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/BigBen-4%20yo-PV.jpg His owners moved out in
the middle of the night and left him behind in the apartment. We don't know
how long he was alone with no food- the landlord guessed about two weeks. It
a miracle he didn't develop HL. We can't figure out what he did for water-
the 2 toilet bowls only held about a gallon each in the bowl- unless he
figured out how to flush... . He's a big ole mush- hard to understand how
someone would just leave him alone to die.

Here's a handsome fella- Kiro, about 2 years old
http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/kiro_m_2yo_.jpg He's another mush. Owner
surrender. We can't understand how or why someone would dump him. Owner
surrender's are at the greatest risk of being killed because there are no
minimum holding requirements for them. We got there just in time- another
hour and he would have been dead and the world would have been a worse
place. Look in his eyes: http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/kiro_m_2yo_PPM.jpg
"Cat eyes seem a bridge to a world beyond the one we know" (Lynn Hollyn)

> But I must take exception to calicos having the 'demon gene'.
>
> I adopted a 3-4 year old calico in 1999, and she's just the biggest
> sweetheart you could ever possibly imagine.
>
> Not a bit of 'cattitude' in her. She's independent, but she also just
> loves attention. I love her to bits, of course.
>
> Sadly, she was declawed before I got her, so she sometimes bites when I
> get her a little 'worked up'. But she has never once broken my skin, not
> even a scratch, even though she bites *hard* sometimes. So she knows not
> to really hurt me.

I have a Tortie- she definitely has tortitude!

> I must say that Johnny, the young silver tabby, is a very, very sweet
> looking cat! I simply can't imagine a shelter murdering him to 'make
> room' for another, younger kitten.
>
> But I know it happens every day :-(
>
> Thank you for saving him! I hope he find a good home, soon. He looks
> like such a sweetie!

We try our best to make a perfect match. But no matter how much we grill and
screen the adoptives- you still never know. I'm more worried than happy
when they're adopted. I've already found a few of our adopted cats in
shelters that were surrendered by the adoptives. Even though our contract
states the cats must be returned to us if the adoptives no longer want them,
its impossible to enforce- just like our no declaw clause. We try our best
to make the right calls, but after all I've seen, I have about .000001%
faith in human nature.

> He might be a real hooligan, but the photo just shows a little angel!

He's a character alright- but a mush too.

> I have saved his picture, as I have with so many other cats I wish I
> could adopt :-(

Here's another one of him:
http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Johnny--7-mo-PPM.jpg

Phil

Gandalf
April 12th 08, 10:12 PM
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:16:38 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

>"Gandalf" > wrote in message

>> >The colonies are doing a lot better than many shelter cats- Its kitten
>> >season, which means many shelters are killing a lot of cats older than
>6-12
>> >months to free up cages for kittens-- which are easier to adopt. Kittens
>> >are easy money for some shelters- fast turnover.
>> >
>> >We've stepped up shelter rescues to try to save as many older cats as we
>> >can- but we're rapidly running out of space and fosterers. You've got to
>see
>> >some of the cats we took that those slaughterhouses were going to kill. I
>> >haven't had time to upload all the pictures- be here are a few:
>> >
>> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Joseph-1y-6m--PP.jpg
>> >
>> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Johnny-7-mo-PPM.jpg
>> >
>> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Gigi-1yo-PP.jpg (She has "tortitude")
>> >
>> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Eta_Carina.jpg (I've got a feeling this
>one
>> >will be Number 12!)
>> >
>> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/maple-4yoM-PV.jpg
>> >
>> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Candy--1yr-PPM-.jpg
>> >
>> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Peaches-2yr-PPM.jpg
>> >
>> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/BigBen-4%20yo-PV.jpg
>> >
>> >http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/cookie2-8mos-PV.jpg They say calicos have
>> >the "demon gene"- look in her eyes!
>> >

>> >Phil
>> >

>> Those are beautiful cats! Thank you for saving their lives!
>
>Some of them didn't look so when we got them. Peaches for example, weighed
>about 5 pounds- you could just about see her ribs, and her eyes were dull
>and cloudy. . Now she's about 9-10 lbs and her eyes sparkle. All you have to
>do is put your hand near her- she does the rest! lol
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Peaches-2yr-PPM.jpg
>
>And there's Big Ben-he's about 7 yr.
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/BigBen-4%20yo-PV.jpg His owners moved out in
>the middle of the night and left him behind in the apartment. We don't know
>how long he was alone with no food- the landlord guessed about two weeks. It
>a miracle he didn't develop HL. We can't figure out what he did for water-
>the 2 toilet bowls only held about a gallon each in the bowl- unless he
>figured out how to flush... . He's a big ole mush- hard to understand how
>someone would just leave him alone to die.

This kind of story just raises my blood pressure to very dangerous
levels. People who treat pet as 'disposable' make me very, very angry!

At least they could have taken him to a shelter, instead of leaving him
to a slow horrible death by starvation. Grrrrr!!!!

>Here's a handsome fella- Kiro, about 2 years old
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/kiro_m_2yo_.jpg He's another mush. Owner
>surrender. We can't understand how or why someone would dump him. Owner
>surrender's are at the greatest risk of being killed because there are no
>minimum holding requirements for them. We got there just in time- another
>hour and he would have been dead and the world would have been a worse
>place. Look in his eyes: http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/kiro_m_2yo_PPM.jpg
>"Cat eyes seem a bridge to a world beyond the one we know" (Lynn Hollyn)

Kiro is an absolutely beautiful tuxedo kitty! I have to agree about his
eyes! All cats have beautiful, mysterious eyes; but Kiro's are
especially wonderful.

I just breaks my heart to think he was just an hour from being PTS! A
beautiful, young cat like Kiro. I'm so very, very glad you got to him in
time. I'm sure he will make somebody a wonderful companion.

I had an absolutely delightful tuxedo kitty for 16 years. She went to
the Bridge back in June of 1999. I still miss her every single day :-(

So I have a very soft spot in my heart for tuxedo kitties.

I have never seen the quote about cat's eyes by Lynn Hollyn, and I like
to collect quote about cats.

>> But I must take exception to calicos having the 'demon gene'.
>>
>> I adopted a 3-4 year old calico in 1999, and she's just the biggest
>> sweetheart you could ever possibly imagine.
>>
>> Not a bit of 'cattitude' in her. She's independent, but she also just
>> loves attention. I love her to bits, of course.
>>
>> Sadly, she was declawed before I got her, so she sometimes bites when I
>> get her a little 'worked up'. But she has never once broken my skin, not
>> even a scratch, even though she bites *hard* sometimes. So she knows not
>> to really hurt me.
>
>I have a Tortie- she definitely has tortitude!

I what you mean by tortidude! And I do have to agree that some calicos
can have the same attitude.

I've just been blessed with an especially sweet calico. I'm her third
human, so we are both very fortunate to have found each other!

>> I must say that Johnny, the young silver tabby, is a very, very sweet
>> looking cat! I simply can't imagine a shelter murdering him to 'make
>> room' for another, younger kitten.
>>
>> But I know it happens every day :-(
>>
>> Thank you for saving him! I hope he find a good home, soon. He looks
>> like such a sweetie!
>
>We try our best to make a perfect match. But no matter how much we grill and
>screen the adoptives- you still never know. I'm more worried than happy
>when they're adopted. I've already found a few of our adopted cats in
>shelters that were surrendered by the adoptives. Even though our contract
>states the cats must be returned to us if the adoptives no longer want them,
>its impossible to enforce- just like our no declaw clause. We try our best
>to make the right calls, but after all I've seen, I have about .000001%
>faith in human nature.
>

>> He might be a real hooligan, but the photo just shows a little angel!
>
>He's a character alright- but a mush too.

He needs somebody to spoil him rotten! I wish I could be the one to do
it :-(

>> I have saved his picture, as I have with so many other cats I wish I
>> could adopt :-(
>
>Here's another one of him:
>http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Johnny--7-mo-PPM.jpg
>

>Phil

Phil P.
April 15th 08, 07:33 AM
"Gandalf" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >> like such a sweetie!
> >
> >We try our best to make a perfect match. But no matter how much we grill
and
> >screen the adoptives- you still never know. I'm more worried than happy
> >when they're adopted. I've already found a few of our adopted cats in
> >shelters that were surrendered by the adoptives. Even though our contract
> >states the cats must be returned to us if the adoptives no longer want
them,
> >its impossible to enforce- just like our no declaw clause. We try our
best
> >to make the right calls, but after all I've seen, I have about .000001%
> >faith in human nature.
> >

> >> He might be a real hooligan, but the photo just shows a little angel!
> >
> >He's a character alright- but a mush too.
>
> He needs somebody to spoil him rotten! I wish I could be the one to do

Here's a photo of a sweet little calico kitten that was about to be
killed because she was born without eyes. She was another "5-minute cat" --
she had 5-minutes left to live when we saw her. We almost missed her- we
were on our way out of the shelter with some of last-day cats when we saw
her.

http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/Li'l%20Chloe-.jpg

After thorough exams by our vet and a veterinary ophthalmologist-- and some
r&r, she made her debut at our main adoption center. The first day she was
there she was adopted by a wonderful family- a father and his two daughters.
Happy ending? About 3 weeks later the gentleman and his daughters come
back with the kitten. Naturally my heart sank like a rock because I thought
he was returning the kitten. To my very pleasant surprise, all he wanted was
someone to show his daughters how to trim the kitten's claws! Whew!

About 3 months later the man and his daughters come in again- but this time
without the calico kitten. They said the kitten was doing great and that the
way she ran around, jumped and climbed, you wouldn't know she was blind
unless you saw she didn't have eyes. It took her a month or two to for her
to map out the house in her mind- but after that, she navigated like a fully
sighted cat.

To make a happy ending even happier: The reason they came back this time was
to adopt a playmate for her! We just rescued an adorable long-hair calico
kitten that they fell in love with immediately and took her home!

Here's a picture of her: http://maxshouse.com/Chloe-stepsister.jpg

That's got to become an interesting relationship. I can't wait for the
updates.

I wish all stories had happy endings like that.

Phil

Outsider
April 15th 08, 09:17 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in
news:k%[email protected]:

> [...]
> some r&r, she made her debut at our main adoption center. The first
> day she was there she was adopted by a wonderful family- a father and
> his two daughters. Happy ending? About 3 weeks later the gentleman
> and his daughters come back with the kitten. Naturally my heart sank
> like a rock because I thought he was returning the kitten. To my very
> pleasant surprise, all he wanted was someone to show his daughters how
> to trim the kitten's claws! Whew!
>
> About 3 months later the man and his daughters come in again- but this
> time without the calico kitten. They said the kitten was doing great
> and that the way she ran around, jumped and climbed, you wouldn't know
> she was blind unless you saw she didn't have eyes. It took her a
> month or two to for her to map out the house in her mind- but after
> that, she navigated like a fully sighted cat.

you know, if you think about it, the way ours cats run around at fifty
miles an hour I doubt they have much time to see where they are going
anyway. I think even sighted cats rely a lot on that "map" in their
head.

What a great story and what a great lesson this dad gave his daughters.

Andy

Sheelagh>\o\
April 27th 08, 08:20 PM
On Apr 12, 10:22*am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "Sheelagh>"o"<" > wrote in message

> > All credit to you Phil. You do a Fantastic job, & you are appreciated
> > by cats & Humans alike. It may not feel that way sometimes, but I can
> > assure you that it is true. It's always good to hear how things are
> > going for you all.
> > You certainly changed my view on life & our feline family.
> > Best wishes,
> > Sheelagh >"o"<
>
> Thank you for the kind words, Sheelaagh.
>
> Phil

Thank you for opening my eye's! Sometimes it takes a jolt to see
something you chose not to see without realising it. I meant what I
said, You are appreciated.

Sheelagh >"o"<

I-h
April 27th 08, 11:50 PM