PDA

View Full Version : Sammy and Hunter - Help!

CatNipped[_2_]
April 10th 08, 03:04 PM
Hunter is at the S.N.A.P clinic getting his "snip" - they're going to call
me between 2 and 4 today to let me know how he did and when to come pick him
up. Again, purrs for his uneventful surgery would be greatly appreciated.

Sammy is going to be a problem. *NOT* because she is so big and could bully
Hunter but because she is such a big *WUSS*! She has been very, very edgy
since hunter has been in the house, even though she hasn't seen him (I'm
sure she can still smell and hear him). She won't eat because she's afraid
to stay upstairs (I had to sit down next to her this morning to even get her
to take a few bites - the whole while she kept stopping to look around
nervously).

I don't want her to get sick from nerves as she did when we tried to home
Tayla, but I am determined that sweet little Hunter will have a home with us
(actually Tayla would have too if she hadn't been so dangerously aggressive
with the (then) 10 week old boys). It's going to be 2 more months before
Sammy will even be able to see Hunter, then more time being separated by
screen or cage. However, I want to start taking care of her nerves *now*
before she has a chance to make herself sick. I'm thinking of getting
something for her nerves from the vet this weekend.

Has anyone here had problems with a nervous cat? What medications have you
used, if any? How long should I keep her on medication after Hunter has
been successfully integrated?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters here: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

CatNipped[_2_]
April 10th 08, 03:40 PM
Anybody ever heard of Homeopet Anxiety?
http://www.petsupply-store.com/homeopet-anxiety-tfln-15-ml-p-2667.html

My vet said this is an over-the-counter medication.

Hugs,

CatNipped

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> Hunter is at the S.N.A.P clinic getting his "snip" - they're going to call
> me between 2 and 4 today to let me know how he did and when to come pick
> him up. Again, purrs for his uneventful surgery would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Sammy is going to be a problem. *NOT* because she is so big and could
> bully Hunter but because she is such a big *WUSS*! She has been very,
> very edgy since hunter has been in the house, even though she hasn't seen
> him (I'm sure she can still smell and hear him). She won't eat because
> she's afraid to stay upstairs (I had to sit down next to her this morning
> to even get her to take a few bites - the whole while she kept stopping to
> look around nervously).
>
> I don't want her to get sick from nerves as she did when we tried to home
> Tayla, but I am determined that sweet little Hunter will have a home with
> us (actually Tayla would have too if she hadn't been so dangerously
> aggressive with the (then) 10 week old boys). It's going to be 2 more
> months before Sammy will even be able to see Hunter, then more time being
> separated by screen or cage. However, I want to start taking care of her
> nerves *now* before she has a chance to make herself sick. I'm thinking
> of getting something for her nerves from the vet this weekend.
>
> Has anyone here had problems with a nervous cat? What medications have
> you used, if any? How long should I keep her on medication after Hunter
> has been successfully integrated?
>

> --
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters here: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

CatNipped[_2_]
April 10th 08, 04:30 PM
I've googled it with "+ side effects", "+ prolonged use", "+ complaints",
and "+ adverse reactions" and I haven't seen any warnings at all about it.
It appears to be totally natural substances (which doesn't always mean it's
safe) and there is *no* listed "overdose" limit (it says it can be
administered every 15 minutes if needed). It appears to be mostly chamomile
(tea?). The ingredients listed are: Phosphorus 6c&30c, Rhododendron
6c&30c, Borax 6c&30c, Theridion 6c&30c, Chamomilla 6c&30c in 20% USP alc. in
purified water.

Comments anyone? I'm not too sure about the phosphorus and borax, but the
chamomilla seems innocuous.

Hugs,

CatNipped

April 10th 08, 06:34 PM
Why are you keeping them separated?

>>>It's going to be 2 more months before Sammy will even be able to see Hunter, then more time being separated by
screen or cage. <<<

CatNipped[_2_]
April 10th 08, 07:12 PM
> wrote in message
> Why are you keeping them separated?

> screen or cage. <<<

Hunter is a stray we just brought inside. He just got his feline distemper
and rabies shots last Saturday and they test him for FIV and FeLV at the
same time. Although he tested negative the vet said that if he'd been
exposed in the last few days before the test that it wouldn't show up as a
positive until after 60 days. So until he can be tested again he'll be kept
separated from the other 5. Even after he's cleared there is going to be a
slow introduction (starting with a door with a cut out lower half that has
been screened - and putting him in a very large dog kennel in our great room
so he can see and be seen without being able to bully or be bullied).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Wayne Mitchell
April 11th 08, 04:48 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote:

>It appears to be mostly chamomile
>(tea?). The ingredients listed are: Phosphorus 6c&30c, Rhododendron
>6c&30c, Borax 6c&30c, Theridion 6c&30c, Chamomilla 6c&30c in 20% USP alc. in
>purified water.

Actually, there is no chamomile in it. Nor is there any phosphorus,
rhododendron (luckily, since it's poisonous), borax, or theridion
(derived from a poisonous(?) spider).

The "6c&30c" indicates that this is a true homeopathic concoction, not
an herbal or hybrid. The "6c" indicates a dilution down to one part of
the mother tincture in a trillion (100^6); and the "30c" indicates a
dilution to one part in what?...a novemdecillion?

Anyway, obviously not even one molecule of any of those ingredients is
likely to be found in a sample of the concoction. So what you would be
giving your cat would be water and alcohol.
--

Wayne M.

CatNipped[_2_]
April 11th 08, 02:25 PM
"Wayne Mitchell" > wrote in message
> "CatNipped" > wrote:
>
>>It appears to be mostly chamomile
>>(tea?). The ingredients listed are: Phosphorus 6c&30c, Rhododendron
>>6c&30c, Borax 6c&30c, Theridion 6c&30c, Chamomilla 6c&30c in 20% USP alc.
>>in
>>purified water.
>
> Actually, there is no chamomile in it. Nor is there any phosphorus,
> rhododendron (luckily, since it's poisonous), borax, or theridion
> (derived from a poisonous(?) spider).
>
> The "6c&30c" indicates that this is a true homeopathic concoction, not
> an herbal or hybrid. The "6c" indicates a dilution down to one part of
> the mother tincture in a trillion (100^6); and the "30c" indicates a
> dilution to one part in what?...a novemdecillion?
>
> Anyway, obviously not even one molecule of any of those ingredients is
> likely to be found in a sample of the concoction. So what you would be
> giving your cat would be water and alcohol.
> --
>
> Wayne M.

Maybe it's the alcohol, but it seems to be working so far - she's stayed
upstairs and hung out with us all last evening instead of hiding under the
bed and this morning she was eating again.

Hugs,

CatNipped

jmc
April 11th 08, 03:08 PM
Suddenly, without warning, CatNipped exclaimed (4/11/2008 10:55 PM):
> "Wayne Mitchell" > wrote in message
>> "CatNipped" > wrote:
>>
>>> It appears to be mostly chamomile
>>> (tea?). The ingredients listed are: Phosphorus 6c&30c, Rhododendron
>>> 6c&30c, Borax 6c&30c, Theridion 6c&30c, Chamomilla 6c&30c in 20% USP alc.
>>> in
>>> purified water.
>> Actually, there is no chamomile in it. Nor is there any phosphorus,
>> rhododendron (luckily, since it's poisonous), borax, or theridion
>> (derived from a poisonous(?) spider).
>>
>> The "6c&30c" indicates that this is a true homeopathic concoction, not
>> an herbal or hybrid. The "6c" indicates a dilution down to one part of
>> the mother tincture in a trillion (100^6); and the "30c" indicates a
>> dilution to one part in what?...a novemdecillion?
>>
>> Anyway, obviously not even one molecule of any of those ingredients is
>> likely to be found in a sample of the concoction. So what you would be
>> giving your cat would be water and alcohol.
>> --
>>
>> Wayne M.
>
> Maybe it's the alcohol, but it seems to be working so far - she's stayed
> upstairs and hung out with us all last evening instead of hiding under the
> bed and this morning she was eating again.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Alcohol *is* actually said to be good for anxiety. :)

Meep is now on amytriptyline for her nerves (she's very stressy, and
internalizes: thus the cystitis). Too early to report, but she's doing
much better than she was on the clomicalm. She even played with me
tonight, and just zoomed through behind me as I wrote this.

And she's very, very talkative. And more demanding than normal :)

I think it's working.

jmc

Bobblespin
April 11th 08, 03:22 PM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, CatNipped exclaimed (4/11/2008 10:55 PM):

>>> Actually, there is no chamomile in it. Nor is there any phosphorus,
>>> rhododendron (luckily, since it's poisonous), borax, or theridion
>>> (derived from a poisonous(?) spider).
>>>
>>> The "6c&30c" indicates that this is a true homeopathic concoction, not
>>> an herbal or hybrid. The "6c" indicates a dilution down to one part of
>>> the mother tincture in a trillion (100^6); and the "30c" indicates a
>>> dilution to one part in what?...a novemdecillion?
>>>
>>> Anyway, obviously not even one molecule of any of those ingredients is
>>> likely to be found in a sample of the concoction. So what you would be
>>> giving your cat would be water and alcohol.
>>> --
>>>
>>> Wayne M.
>>
>> Maybe it's the alcohol, but it seems to be working so far - she's
>> stayed upstairs and hung out with us all last evening instead of
>> hiding under the bed and this morning she was eating again.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>

> Alcohol *is* actually said to be good for anxiety. :)
>
> Meep is now on amytriptyline for her nerves (she's very stressy, and
> internalizes: thus the cystitis). Too early to report, but she's doing
> much better than she was on the clomicalm. She even played with me
> tonight, and just zoomed through behind me as I wrote this.
>
> And she's very, very talkative. And more demanding than normal :)
>
> I think it's working.
>
> jmc

Misty was on amytriptyline for many years and until she died at 19, and
it never caused her any problems (and cured her inappropriate urination
on stove, counter, rug, etc.). Did you know you can get the
prescription from your vet and get it filled for less at Walmart? Our
nice vet put us on to that fact. Saved us quite a bit over the years.
Bobble

jmc
April 12th 08, 12:15 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Bobblespin exclaimed (4/11/2008 11:52 PM):
> jmc wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, CatNipped exclaimed (4/11/2008 10:55 PM):

>>> Maybe it's the alcohol, but it seems to be working so far - she's
>>> stayed upstairs and hung out with us all last evening instead of
>>> hiding under the bed and this morning she was eating again.
>>>
>>> Hugs,
>>>
>>> CatNipped
>>>

>> Alcohol *is* actually said to be good for anxiety. :)
>>
>> Meep is now on amytriptyline for her nerves (she's very stressy, and
>> internalizes: thus the cystitis). Too early to report, but she's
>> doing much better than she was on the clomicalm. She even played with
>> me tonight, and just zoomed through behind me as I wrote this.
>>
>> And she's very, very talkative. And more demanding than normal :)
>>
>> I think it's working.
>>
>> jmc
>
> Misty was on amytriptyline for many years and until she died at 19, and
> it never caused her any problems (and cured her inappropriate urination
> on stove, counter, rug, etc.). Did you know you can get the
> prescription from your vet and get it filled for less at Walmart? Our
> nice vet put us on to that fact. Saved us quite a bit over the years.
> Bobble

That would be helpful if we had a WalMart here. I'm in Australia.
However, that's good to know because we'll all be in the US again before
the end of the summer. I did know it's a human drug, used for depression.

jmc