PDA

View Full Version : Cat gagging on mouth stitches

kitkatkitkat12345@gmail.com
April 13th 08, 10:21 PM
My senior boy had all of his upper molars extracted last Tuesday,
along with one canine. He has stomatitis. He's been doing really well
(and would have eaten a bucket full of canned food the minute he was
home from the hospital). His vet called Friday to check on him, and I
did ask if he had stitches. He does, the kind that dissolve.

He's mostly okay with it except after he eats (canned food only). He
kind of gags a little bit, and does a thing with his mouth that's hard
to explain. Imagine a cat with peanut butter in his mouth and trying
to get rid of it....that's kind of like what he does. He even takes
his front paws and paws at his mouth, as if trying to get it out. (But
he can't get his paws IN his mouth, I'm sure a good thing)

Is this normal, and is there any way I can comfort him or help him
feel better?

I'm remembering a couple of months ago when I had a wisdom tooth
pulled, and they used those dissolve stitches - it was an upper tooth.
As the stitches started falling apart, it was strings hanging into my
mouth and it tickled my mouth. Not in a good way. It was annoying as
hell and my instinct was to reach in and pull them out. I didn't,
because I knew better. But I think the same thing is happening to my
boy.

If I hadn't had those stitches myself, I think I'd be more worried.
When she called on Friday, this had just barely started. Yesterday he
started pawing at his mouth. Today he's actually kind of gagging,
almost like a bad hairball, and does that thing where his entire body
rolls out of his stomach out his mouth. (If that makes any sense...if
you've watched a hairball attack, you probably know what I mean)

But he doesn't actually hack anything up. Today his tongue actually
hung out for a few seconds. He's okay now, just resting.

Any suggestions? Is this anything to worry about and call the vet in
the morning, or just normal stuff? I feel really badly for him.

His appetite is pretty good. Not as good as normal, but he's eating
enough.

Thanks everyone!

Spot[_2_]
April 14th 08, 03:20 AM
I'd call the vet and ask him about it. Yes they are dissolving stitches but
these things don't always dissolve. Maybe one of them needs snipped and
removed but only the vet should do that.

Celeste

> wrote in message
> My senior boy had all of his upper molars extracted last Tuesday,
> along with one canine. He has stomatitis. He's been doing really well
> (and would have eaten a bucket full of canned food the minute he was
> home from the hospital). His vet called Friday to check on him, and I
> did ask if he had stitches. He does, the kind that dissolve.
>
> He's mostly okay with it except after he eats (canned food only). He
> kind of gags a little bit, and does a thing with his mouth that's hard
> to explain. Imagine a cat with peanut butter in his mouth and trying
> to get rid of it....that's kind of like what he does. He even takes
> his front paws and paws at his mouth, as if trying to get it out. (But
> he can't get his paws IN his mouth, I'm sure a good thing)
>
> Is this normal, and is there any way I can comfort him or help him
> feel better?
>
> I'm remembering a couple of months ago when I had a wisdom tooth
> pulled, and they used those dissolve stitches - it was an upper tooth.
> As the stitches started falling apart, it was strings hanging into my
> mouth and it tickled my mouth. Not in a good way. It was annoying as
> hell and my instinct was to reach in and pull them out. I didn't,
> because I knew better. But I think the same thing is happening to my
> boy.
>
> If I hadn't had those stitches myself, I think I'd be more worried.
> When she called on Friday, this had just barely started. Yesterday he
> started pawing at his mouth. Today he's actually kind of gagging,
> almost like a bad hairball, and does that thing where his entire body
> rolls out of his stomach out his mouth. (If that makes any sense...if
> you've watched a hairball attack, you probably know what I mean)
>
> But he doesn't actually hack anything up. Today his tongue actually
> hung out for a few seconds. He's okay now, just resting.
>
> Any suggestions? Is this anything to worry about and call the vet in
> the morning, or just normal stuff? I feel really badly for him.
>
> His appetite is pretty good. Not as good as normal, but he's eating
> enough.
>
> Thanks everyone!

Rene S.
April 14th 08, 02:01 PM
On Apr 13, 9:20*pm, "Spot" > wrote:
> I'd call the vet and ask him about it. *Yes they are dissolving stitches but
> these things don't always dissolve. *Maybe one of them needs snipped and
> removed but only the vet should do that.
>
> Celeste

I agree with Celeste. It can't hurt to call the vet. It's possible one
of the ends of the stitches is a bit long and is bothering him.