PDA

View Full Version : Former feral cat Behavior

April 19th 08, 05:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

Gail[_2_]
April 19th 08, 06:12 PM
It takes much time and patience. Remeber to speak softly to him and to sit
(quietly) in the room when you feed him. Also, try interactive toys with him
(ie. a feather on wand). Do you let the cats sleep with you? In time, he
will be a wonderful pet.
Gail
> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
> place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
> is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
> away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

blkcatgal
April 19th 08, 06:20 PM
I just took in a feral cat too. At first she would hiss and growl at me and
would run when I came near her. Now, 8 weeks later, she will come up to me,
let me pet her, pick her up, etc. She still will run from me if I walk
towards her. It just takes lots of time. As Gail said, speak softly when
you sit with him. Play with him along with the other cat. Reward him with
a treat or two when he lets you pet him, etc.

Good luck. I'm sure after time he will be a loving pet.

S.
---
> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
> place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
> is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
> away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

April 19th 08, 07:21 PM
On Apr 19, 10:12 am, "Gail" > wrote:
> It takes much time and patience. Remeber to speak softly to him and to sit
> (quietly) in the room when you feed him. Also, try interactive toys with him
> (ie. a feather on wand). Do you let the cats sleep with you? In time, he
> will be a wonderful pet.
> > wrote in message

> > Hi Everyone,
>
> > I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
> > place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
> > is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
> > away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

Hi Gail,

Yes I let them sleep with me.He doesn't bite or try to scratch so I am
lucky.He is very young still almost a year old.He is getting better.He
comes closer during feeding and play time.I think he will be a lovely
pet when he gets more confident.

April 19th 08, 07:23 PM
On Apr 19, 10:20 am, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> I just took in a feral cat too. At first she would hiss and growl at me and
> would run when I came near her. Now, 8 weeks later, she will come up to me,
> let me pet her, pick her up, etc. She still will run from me if I walk
> towards her. It just takes lots of time. As Gail said, speak softly when
> you sit with him. Play with him along with the other cat. Reward him with
> a treat or two when he lets you pet him, etc.
>
> Good luck. I'm sure after time he will be a loving pet.
>
> S.
> --
> **Visit me and my cats athttp://www.island-cats.com/**
> > wrote in message

> > Hi Everyone,
>
> > I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
> > place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
> > is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
> > away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

Thank you.He is not that angry where he hisses but he is very timid.He
is getting braver and I hope he will be as loving as my other cat who
is close to his age.I always encourage him and talk to him.He is such
a sweet soul.

-mhd[_2_]
April 19th 08, 08:28 PM
" > wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
>place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
>is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
>away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

Even as he gets more trusting and comes to you some cats have that
quirk of putting space between you if you approach them and they never
seem to get over it. My former feral Gus (RIP July 1, 2007) was that
way. I could always walk to up to his bowl while he was eating and he
would jump up on the bed at night but I never could walk towards him.
If he was taking an afternoon sun session he would sometimes let me
walk up to him if he was off the ground such as on a chair or bay
window ledge. I just learned he was more comfortable on his terms and
I didn't betray his trust by pursuing him.

-mhd

April 19th 08, 10:20 PM
In article >,
says...
> " > wrote:
>
> >Hi Everyone,
> >
> >I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
> >place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
> >is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
> >away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?
>
> Even as he gets more trusting and comes to you some cats have that
> quirk of putting space between you if you approach them and they never
> seem to get over it. My former feral Gus (RIP July 1, 2007) was that
> way. I could always walk to up to his bowl while he was eating and he
> would jump up on the bed at night but I never could walk towards him.
> If he was taking an afternoon sun session he would sometimes let me
> walk up to him if he was off the ground such as on a chair or bay
> window ledge. I just learned he was more comfortable on his terms and
> I didn't betray his trust by pursuing him.
>
> -mhd

Angie is a pound cat and she's very skittish. I've had her close to two
years now and I'll stoop down and call to her and she'll come but the
moment I reach over to pet her, she takes off.

Every now and then when other people are around she'll come right up to
me though and let me pet her.

Cat Guy
April 20th 08, 03:29 AM
" wrote:

> I adopted two cats one is a former feral.

Are they both neutered / spayed?

> He is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction
> he runs away. Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

It can take 2 weeks, or 2 months, or 2 years.

Was the cat born in the wild?

Or was he someone's pet who has been awol for half his life?

April 20th 08, 04:20 AM
I'm not sure what his complete history is.He was found with a colony
of ferals but he seemed to be the most adoptable because he allowed
people to feed him.I think he never lived in a house with a human so
this evironment is pretty new for him.

Cat Guy
April 20th 08, 04:34 PM
" wrote:

> I'm not sure what his complete history is.

I noticed that you didn't answer my first question, which was if both
cats were neutered / spayed.

April 21st 08, 05:01 PM
Living next door to a farm for the past 20+ years, I've had a lot of
strays. I spent as much time with them as I could, which was a lot -
and I found one of the most effective ways to bond was to get down on
the floor and just talk softly to them. At first I offered treats and
then after the treats were gone just talked softly. Often they will be
mesmerized by the sound of your voice and it gives them a feeling of
safety, and then when they hear your voice again, they associate it
with comfort. Don't reach for them, if you put your hand over their
head, they are going to bulk and run. Put your hand out on floor on
his level, not too close, but close enough that he can check it out,
and just leave it there and let him feel you near his space. Nearly
all of them will cave in, but some never do. You don't know what's
happened to him before he came to live with you, and sometimes the
traumas are too big to overcome completely, but at least if he can
find peace with you, even at a distance, it's a good life for him. :)

April 22nd 08, 02:14 PM
On Apr 20, 8:34 am, Cat Guy > wrote:
> " wrote:
> > I'm not sure what his complete history is.
>
> I noticed that you didn't answer my first question, which was if both
> cats were neutered / spayed.

Yes they are neutered.

Verna

April 22nd 08, 02:38 PM
On Apr 20, 8:34 am, Cat Guy > wrote:
> " wrote:
> > I'm not sure what his complete history is.
>
> I noticed that you didn't answer my first question, which was if both
> cats were neutered / spayed.

Yes they both neutered.

capricious
April 22nd 08, 09:30 PM
On Apr 19, 9:24 am, " >
wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
> place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
> is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
> away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

Not sure if this is will be an echo of something already said, but, in
my experiences with feril cats:

They are very slow to accept the domestication lifestyle and still
allow their inner instincts to rule their life instead of basic
"logic". Instead of thinking "Oh its just my owner" they only think
"Something BIG is moving, YIKES!". With my feril cats though, after
they finally did get over their skiddishness and relax, they turned
out to be some of the most dedicated cats I've owned. They truly seem
to show their genuine appreciation for you taking them in under their
wing. Again, this is in my experience with 5-7 different feril cats
throughout my lifetime. Almost all turned out to have this same type
of loyalty--almost dog-like. A high percentage of life-long-
domesticated cats seem to be much more independent, whereas ferils
seem to recognize your importance in their life more.

In short, in the end with good patience, it's worth it!