PDA

View Full Version : odd behavior


robbat
April 21st 08, 01:22 PM
My cat is 14 years old and always been indoor cat he is nutered he is
not on any medication. Every once in a while he starts walking around
crouching smelling, kind of looks like a bloodhound racking a
scent.When he is doing this it is imposble to snap him out of it .Does
anyone have any idea why he does this

--
Posted at author's request, using fully moderated http://www.PetForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.PetForumz.com/odd-behavior-ftopict71437.html

Kathy[_2_]
April 23rd 08, 02:14 AM
"robbat" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] rumz.com...
> My cat is 14 years old and always been indoor cat he is nutered he is
> not on any medication. Every once in a while he starts walking around
> crouching smelling, kind of looks like a bloodhound racking a
> scent.When he is doing this it is imposble to snap him out of it .Does
> anyone have any idea why he does this
>
> --
> Posted at author's request, using fully moderated http://www.PetForumz.com
> interface
> Thread archive: http://www.PetForumz.com/odd-behavior-ftopict71437.html

My cat does that sometimes, too. I don't know what she's looking
for.....She's only about two years old. As long as yours is not taking a
bathroom break after he's sniffed around, I wouldn't worry...
Kathy P.

William Graham
April 23rd 08, 05:06 AM
"Kathy" > wrote in message
. ..
>
>
> "robbat" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected] rumz.com...
>> My cat is 14 years old and always been indoor cat he is nutered he is
>> not on any medication. Every once in a while he starts walking around
>> crouching smelling, kind of looks like a bloodhound racking a
>> scent.When he is doing this it is imposble to snap him out of it .Does
>> anyone have any idea why he does this
>>

Sounds like you might have mice.....(or some other critters)

Diana
April 24th 08, 07:43 PM
In article <[email protected] com>,
robbat > wrote:

> My cat is 14 years old and always been indoor cat he is nutered he is
> not on any medication. Every once in a while he starts walking around
> crouching smelling, kind of looks like a bloodhound racking a
> scent.When he is doing this it is imposble to snap him out of it .Does
> anyone have any idea why he does this

No doubt it's because he detects an odor. I can't think of any reason
for concern--that is, about the cat. I WOULD wonder what he was
smelling, though (check my shoes, look for rodent of insect droppings,
spills, etc.)

tension_on_the_wire
April 29th 08, 09:38 PM
On Apr 21, 5:22*am, robbat > wrote:
> My cat is 14 years old and always been indoor cat he is nutered he is
> not on any medication. Every once in a while he starts walking around
> crouching smelling, kind of looks like a bloodhound racking a
> scent.When he is doing this it is imposble to snap him out of it .Does
> anyone have any idea why he does this
>
> --
> Posted at author's request, using fully moderatedhttp://www.PetForumz.cominterface
> Thread archive:http://www.PetForumz.com/odd-behavior-ftopict71437.html

If the area he's smelling is small, and he's kind of going around in
little circles doing it, this is a behaviour that has been described
in cats numerous times as being one of those eccentric little things
they do...same as "going into the zone" where they are walking along,
clearly aiming for some part of the room and all of a sudden they
stop, motionless, for several minutes, looking like they are gazing at
a ghost and then either resume what they were doing, or just drop on
the spot with a catnap. You should hear the theories about that one
(actually seeing a ghost, receptivity to a certain electromagnetic
field in the room magnified at just that one spot that apparently
feels REALLY GOOD to a cat, etc)

--tension

dgk
April 30th 08, 01:44 PM
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:38:51 -0700 (PDT), tension_on_the_wire
> wrote:

>On Apr 21, 5:22*am, robbat > wrote:
>> My cat is 14 years old and always been indoor cat he is nutered he is
>> not on any medication. Every once in a while he starts walking around
>> crouching smelling, kind of looks like a bloodhound racking a
>> scent.When he is doing this it is imposble to snap him out of it .Does
>> anyone have any idea why he does this
>>
>> --
>> Posted at author's request, using fully moderatedhttp://www.PetForumz.cominterface
>> Thread archive:http://www.PetForumz.com/odd-behavior-ftopict71437.html
>
>If the area he's smelling is small, and he's kind of going around in
>little circles doing it, this is a behaviour that has been described
>in cats numerous times as being one of those eccentric little things
>they do...same as "going into the zone" where they are walking along,
>clearly aiming for some part of the room and all of a sudden they
>stop, motionless, for several minutes, looking like they are gazing at
>a ghost and then either resume what they were doing, or just drop on
>the spot with a catnap. You should hear the theories about that one
>(actually seeing a ghost, receptivity to a certain electromagnetic
>field in the room magnified at just that one spot that apparently
>feels REALLY GOOD to a cat, etc)
>
>--tension


And, of course, cats are just weird. I have three, and each one is
strange in his/her own way. All of them, at one time or another, start
staring at something that I don't see (or smell). When two of them are
staring at the same spot, then I'm guessing that a MOUSE is somewhere
nearby. Every two or three years, a mouse ends up in the house. It is
always a cause for great rejoicing among the feline population.